Author Topic: These guys could potentially end up here at Marshall  (Read 8924 times)

Online herdorbust2

Re: These guys could potentially end up here at Marshall
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2023, 01:15:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Are these the same practice reports you maligned before.

Sad truth is you could watch for days and still not understand what you saw.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2023, 01:15:30 PM »

Offline bighat

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2023, 01:22:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • And you can?

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2023, 01:44:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • And you can?

All I know is I talked about how the freshman were going to make a difference and predicted the record last year before the season started. So????

The following users thanked this post: scope58

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2023, 01:51:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Todd started out at TCU then transferred to New Mexico and then transferred to NW Florida State College. The link has his stats at all three schools. He listed at 6'4".
    https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Taryn-Todd/Summary/119430

Moe is 6'9" and a high school player, not sure? I think he finished high school in 2022? The information on the internet is mostly about his high school recruiting, but I did find the below link to him visiting Robert Morris. Per his twitter account he is a Skills Factory class of 2023.  His father played at Iowa.
    https://twitter.com/petermoe20?lang=en
    https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2022/03/16/senior-forward-iowa-native-pete-moe-ii-recaps-robert-morris-visit/

Pete was in town last week and the staff loved him. Offers from UAB and Belmont and others. He love Marshall and wants to be here. He played at an Indianapolis prep school last year.

Taryn may be in town this weekend.
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, chris88

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2023, 01:52:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He would be a great get. Get word to Dantoni because I dont even know if he?s looking.

He is aware
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2023, 02:02:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Pete was in town last week and the staff loved him. Offers from UAB and Belmont and others. He love Marshall and wants to be here. He played at an Indianapolis prep school last year.

Taryn may be in town this weekend.

Yep Pete and Taryn both may want to be here but unless Danny changes his stance on moving out players there isn't a spot for both.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, scope58

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2023, 02:07:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Yep Pete and Taryn both may want to be here but unless Danny changes his stance on moving out players there isn't a spot for both.

The exact reason DD needs fired.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, herdorbust2

Online scope58

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2023, 02:49:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Yep Pete and Taryn both may want to be here but unless Danny changes his stance on moving out players there isn't a spot for both.
    He?s not going to change his stance. Taryn i guess will be the one here..

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2023, 03:02:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Last year DD said he had NIL money to bring in that foreign player last year?  That ultimately didn't happen but if we had money to be used to pay tuition beyond the 13 limit then why not this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, coalherd, scope58

Online scope58

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2023, 03:26:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Last year DD said he had NIL money to bring in that foreign player last year?  That ultimately didn't happen but if we had money to be used to pay tuition beyond the 13 limit then why not this year?

I know the player your referring to. But the amount they offered was kind of a joke compared to the money being thrown around now. The one where his brother was acting as his agent.I think Dantoni?s his own worst enemy. His bad recruiting has led to to many guys riding the bench that he?s not got the heart to find a new home for them.Heard that the Pete Moe guy was the best player on the floor when he came in.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdorbust2

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2023, 03:29:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I know the player your referring to. But the amount they offered was kind of a joke compared to the money being thrown around now. The one where his brother was acting as his agent.I think Dantoni?s his own worst enemy. His bad recruiting has led to to many guys riding the bench that he?s not got the heart to find a new home for them.Heard that the Pete Moe guy was the best player on the floor when he came in.

I also heard Pete Moe was the best player on the floor when he came in. But Danny will let 4/5 guys ride the bench instead of getting him. He is perfect for the system. Big, long, can handle and drive and shoot it for 6'9.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, overherd1, scope58

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2023, 05:32:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I did a little research and Moe was not heavy recruited out of high school and apparently he wanted to play Division I. He dropped out of the recruiting process and enrolled at the Skills Factory to improve his game. If the reports above are true, then the young man really improved or some of our returning players are not very good. I wonder if the portal players from ISU and TSU were on the floor with Moe?

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2023, 05:32:37 PM »

Online scope58

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2023, 05:44:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I did a little research and Moe was not heavy recruited out of high school and apparently he wanted to play Division I. He dropped out of the recruiting process and enrolled at the Skills Factory to improve his game. If the reports above are true, then the young man really improved or some of our returning players are not very good. I wonder if the portal players from ISU and TSU were on the floor with Moe?
    He?s being heavily recruited now. About 15 schools. Will see if i can find the listing again. Go watch all his tape. Watch how he moves for a guy that size. He handles and shoots well. A relentless rebounder that can play D.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2023, 12:19:42 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I could be wrong but I think this issue with NIL and athletes from another country is not entirely a NCAA issue.  I think the NCAA rule is in place to keep student athletes from running afoul of US Immigration policy.  The prohibition against NIL money to foreign athletes has to do with the athlete's visa.  Most often foreign athletes are in this country on a "student" (F1) visa and therefore their work income while in this county is restricted as a part of the requirements of obtaining and maintaining a "student" visa. 

In order to get NIL money the foreign athlete would have to change their visa status from a "student" visa to a "work" visa which takes time and a different set of hoops for the athlete to jump through.  If the student visa expires prior to the work visa being granted then the athlete would have to leave the country within 60 days of the student visa expiration and possibly until the work visa is approved.

Athletes in this county on a student visa can work up to 20 hours per week but their work has several restrictions.  Two of the restrictions are that they can only work 20 hours per week during times they are taking classes and that their employment cannot displace or take a job away from a US resident.

Regarding your last paragraph, where oh where is Marshall Reynolds when the HERD really needs him?  Surely he's got 1 or 2 of those "make work" type jobs paying $40 or $50 an hour somewhere around Huntington in his vast business empire that can make use of this player for 20 hours a week.  Heck, bet ole Marshall's boy, Dougie, can even find him a nice NEW broom for him to lean on during those 20 hours too!!!

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2023, 07:52:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

It has not been confirmed by the compliance office if it is legal to use NIL money for tuition in lieu of a scholarship. It has not been done to my knowledge anywhere
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2023, 09:44:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If Pete Moe is the better player, then you take him. Always go with the best player.

The following users thanked this post: DC01HERD, pembrook burrows III, horsrman

Offline MUonium

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2023, 10:07:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If Pete Moe is the better player, then you take him. Always go with the best player.

in most cases i think most would agree.  with so many unknowns in Crawford, Braun or whomever, i'm not sold that DD can succeed with tall, long lineups.  i think of the times last year when we, with one of the best guard combinations in the SBC and beyond, couldn't get the ball down the floor or create in the half court.  or times when our guards couldn't stop quick, fast, athletic, relentless opposing guards.  nobody's perfect but i'd bet the farm that tall lineups, of the players we currently have, are not going to be satisfactory in transition or half court creation

The following users thanked this post: DC01HERD, scope58, herdorbust2

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2023, 11:44:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Remember last year when we played Georgia Southern at home? We were down like 7 with 48 seconds left or something. One of their guards was injured and 3-4 others fouled out. They couldn't even get the ball in play and up the court and we ended up winning. Guards are crucial and IMO the most important players on the floor. Give we a bunch of great guards that are tough anyday. It's like a offense in football with an awful QB and average at best running backs. It's ugly!!!

The following users thanked this post: DC01HERD, parshall2marshall, svherd, scope58

Offline puma

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2023, 12:09:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It has not been confirmed by the compliance office if it is legal to use NIL money for tuition in lieu of a scholarship. It has not been done to my knowledge anywhere

Something like that might open up a Title IX can of worms that schools don't want to deal with.

Offline DC01HERD

« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2023, 01:03:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Dan needs to open up scholarships. He needs guards and forwards that can play. We could use 2 guards and a skilled forward. Our roster needs upgrades.

The following users thanked this post: Buffalo Bop, herdfan129, scope58, herdorbust2

Online scope58

« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2023, 01:16:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Dan needs to open up scholarships. He needs guards and forwards that can play. We could use 2 guards and a skilled forward. Our roster needs upgrades.
    They sure do. But he?s just not gonna do it.

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline HerdFan2026

« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2023, 12:18:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It has not been confirmed by the compliance office if it is legal to use NIL money for tuition in lieu of a scholarship. It has not been done to my knowledge anywhere

Was this something our staff was recently looking into, or is it just previously known fact

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2023, 12:18:50 PM »

Offline bighat

« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2023, 08:29:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is the internet everything is a fact.

Offline Herdiowa

« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2023, 08:45:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If that Moe kid is the son of Jeff then I know his daddy could shoot.

The following users thanked this post: scope58

Online scope58

« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2023, 09:52:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If that Moe kid is the son of Jeff then I know his daddy could shoot.
    That?s him

HerdFans.com

« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2023, 09:52:51 PM »