Author Topic: Are you a Religious Recycler?  (Read 160 times)

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
  • Franchise Owner
  • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
Are you a Religious Recycler?
« on: January 22, 2023, 07:14:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

The ugly truth is that many ?recyclables? sent to recycling plants are never recycled. The worst is plastic.

Even Greenpeace now says, ?Plastic recycling is a dead-end street.?

Hoffman often trucks it to a landfill.

Years ago, science writer John Tierney wrote a New York Times Magazine story, ?Recycling Is Garbage.? It set a Times record for hate mail.

But what he wrote was true.

?It?s even more true today,? says Tierney in my new video. ?Recycling is an industry that uses increasingly expensive labor to produce materials that are worth less and less.?

https://www.johnstossel.com/the-recycling-religion-plastic-green-garbage/

HerdFans.com

Are you a Religious Recycler?
    « on: January 22, 2023, 07:14:48 AM »

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    Re: Are you a Religious Recycler?
    « Reply #1 on: January 22, 2023, 01:33:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Let me argue the other side of the coin...I recycle (and compost) properly so that should a realistic plan for recycling come to pass, I will have done my part to create a platform through which it can occur. I am not sure the majority of Americans are not too self-centered and ignorant to ever do something a complicated as putting plastic with plastic and clear glass with clear glass, but I'm not going to be the problem. It's not like they are asking me to donate a kidney.

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2023, 02:10:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Funny stuff.  If you really want to help out pop over to Asia and get them to recycle, that's where the majority of plastic in oceans comes from.  And while there mention they should not only stop burning coal but stop building numerous new coal power plants.

A 2 for 1 in saving the world and even more ability to virtue signal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #3 on: January 22, 2023, 03:24:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Actually, reuse is best. You can reuse aplastic water bottle pretty much forever. the plastic bags you get from the store use far less plastic than a garbage bag. I use those when I clean my condo. I recycle paper and cardboard if I can't reuse it...often you can for shipping. Anything you reuse saves transportation costs and energy. Not to mention, when you reuse a water bottle, you are refilling it with water that costs a fraction of a cent. We could then get into micro plastics, but I figure watching Marshall miss free throws does a lot more harm to my health than micro plastics.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2023, 11:47:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Chemical and plastics' producers have put out such a plethora of consumer products, and an ever-growing plethora, at that which makes it quite trying for consumers who ARE willing to try and seriously recycle!  Look at the bottom of almost every plastic bottle or container and there usually is a triangle with a number inside.  Said number stands for a certain "type" of plastic, apparently.  There's the rub.  Some numbered bottles, etc., are apparently very easy to recycle.  Meaning, apparently, that it is "economical" to do so, for the entity which eventually does the actual "recycling" or disposes of the plastic items in some chemical process or manner.  County I reside in has county recycling locations scattered around, but only plastics with the numbers "1" and "2" are accepted for recycling.

County also recycles aluminum cans, but not so much when it comes to other aluminum products, aluminum foil, etc.  Recycles cardboard products, newspapers, office paper, etc., which I have been told has actually paid for itself at times and on occasion produced a small profit for the county.  The market has been, at time fairly volatile, and some entities, jurisdictions, etc., have just given up recycling of such products for that reason.

Not aware of ANY recycling of glass products in my area of the State and in nearby counties.  Understand that Huntington may still have a productive glass factory or business in the City and that glass recycling is done there.

Recycling takes a lot of time and effort to be done right and efficiently.  For said reasons, many decide not to bother trying to recycle.  Many find working/doing Sudoku puzzles easier and less vexing!!
    « Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 11:50:52 PM by coalherd »

HerdFans.com

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2023, 11:47:20 PM »