Author Topic: Liberty vs. MU Football Series Canceled.  (Read 1260 times)

HerdFans.com

Liberty vs. MU Football Series Canceled.
« on: January 20, 2023, 05:46:31 PM »

Online herd2win

Re: Liberty vs. MU Football Series Canceled.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2023, 05:49:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Why?

Online gochneaur645

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2023, 06:26:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Good, we're above playing any C-DOA school. Let's get outta the MTSU series too.

Online miltonherdfan

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2023, 06:43:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • that's not a good home game for us to lose.  we shoulda stood our ground & demanded a payout, or a guaranteed re-schedule date.

& even losing the game there...who are we gonna get to replace 'em in '24?  another FCS home game b/c it's "short notice?"

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2023, 12:29:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I?ll wait for all the details before I make a comment. I?m interested to know who we replace them with on our schedule and if there was a buy out for either team.

Hopefully we choose to go play another P5 money game.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

Offline coalherd

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2023, 02:29:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Article says the series cancellation was "mutual".  Hopefully, AD Spears has some possible replacement(s) in mind, in negotiation, etc.  If he had any pull with his former employer (Pitt) would love to see us get something going with the Panthers.  Home and home, or maybe a $$$ game there along with a home and home in basketball, perhaps!

Offline MUther

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2023, 02:41:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They're still dumping teams to pick up their conference schedules.  I mean they had 24 games of which they could keep 8 over the next 2 seasons.  As an independent their future schedules would contain a lot more teams over the next 5 years or so and many will have to be nixed or rescheduled out further.  It's not like an FCS move up where you just dump the whole schedule.  These guys had FBS contracts they have to bump to get into a conference.

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2023, 05:08:36 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We better have fleeced those freaks for a bunch of money

If not, no bueno
    If you recall, they were paying us to come here.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: Stripeshrt, miltonherdfan

Online wasbarryb

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2023, 05:45:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They're still dumping teams to pick up their conference schedules.  I mean they had 24 games of which they could keep 8 over the next 2 seasons.  As an independent their future schedules would contain a lot more teams over the next 5 years or so and many will have to be nixed or rescheduled out further.  It's not like an FCS move up where you just dump the whole schedule.  These guys had FBS contracts they have to bump to get into a conference.

What you say is true, but only makes their dumping us worse.  They aren't canceling our games to schedule a C-USA game, they are dropping us for what they see as a better out of conference foe.

As 129 says, I'll wait to see more details before I make up my mind on how this looks, but right now it feels like we're being screwed again. Which really gauls me because I was opposed to this match up in the first place, it was only the paying us to come to Huntington that made the series acceptable.
    « Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 06:13:06 AM by wasbarryb »

Offline BerkshireHerdFan

• All American
    • Former Football Student Manager 2002-2004
    « Reply #10 on: January 21, 2023, 09:21:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have 100% faith that Spears has a plan.
    Knightdale NC

The following users thanked this post: goherd73

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2023, 09:24:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What you say is true, but only makes their dumping us worse.  They aren't canceling our games to schedule a C-USA game, they are dropping us for what they see as a better out of conference foe.

As 129 says, I'll wait to see more details before I make up my mind on how this looks, but right now it feels like we're being screwed again. Which really gauls me because I was opposed to this match up in the first place, it was only the paying us to come to Huntington that made the series acceptable.

Why because they are a religious university?

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2023, 09:24:39 AM »

Offline Big City

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2023, 09:38:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Oh well. There could be much larger things on the horizon. Just saying.
    IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2023, 10:05:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am on neutral playing Liberty, I would rather have a P5 team come to town. Apparently Liberty has other schedule changes like  the four game cancelled series with UVA. This a big one to lose since UVA is about 60 miles up the US 29 from Lynchburg.  Please note the famous term "mutual agreement. This a big loss for Liberty for gaining attention in Virginia. The below link also states UVA cancelled a home and home with BYU.

I would be interested in seeing the details for cancelling the series.

"Virginia was also scheduled to play a four-game, home-and-home series with the Liberty Flames with games in Charlottesville in 2023 and 2030 and in Lynchburg, Va., in 2027 and 2029.
    That four-game series has also been mutually canceled, per a copy of the mutual cancellation of football agreement obtained from the University of Virginia. The cancellation, which was executed on Dec. 6, 2021 requires no further obligations from either party."
    https://fbschedules.com/virginia-cancels-future-football-series-with-byu-liberty/
    « Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 11:51:44 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

Offline Herdalum83

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2023, 10:31:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Why because they are a religious university?

Religious, that's funny. Liberty is a money factory pretending to be a religious institution in order to fleece unsuspecting folks. The Falwells were a bunch of hypocritical pieces of crap and the current brass at the University doesn't seem to be too far removed from the same kind of cesspool.
    « Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 10:50:18 AM by Herdalum83 »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Johns1124, wasbarryb, MUonium, beau42m

Online wasbarryb

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2023, 10:38:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Why because they are a religious university?

I didn't object to Notre Dame, I haven't objected to Duquesne. 

Herdalum expressed my view maybe better than I could.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Herdalum83

Offline MUonium

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2023, 10:41:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • MU seems to accommodate other ADs which has shown benefits in the past and probably will in the future.

i could care less about LU.  hopefully we find a better opponent.  todays scheduling practices seem to have become somewhat of a mess like much of the rest of cfb.

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2023, 10:49:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Below is a link to future Liberty non conference schedules. Their out of conference games are mostly with MAC and SBC teams. They do have a home and home with ECU and Army and a two for one with VA Tech. There out of conference schedules are average at best. As posted, I believe Liberty threw some money at MU to get a series when they were an Independent. Just a guess on my part; I wonder if Liberty did the same with UVA and is now dropping the MU and UVA games due to the financials?

Anyway, I don't believe it is a big loss; just another cancelled series with a G5 team. I don't care about the politics; I remember the days when other schools looked down their noses at playing MU.

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/liberty/
    « Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 10:57:01 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2023, 10:56:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Religious, that's funny. Liberty is a money factory pretending to be a religious institution in order to fleece unsuspecting folks. The Falwells were a bunch of hypocritical pieces of crap and the current brass at the University doesn't seem to be too far removed from the same kind of cesspool.

I get the feeling if they were 100% religious you would feel the same way. And all those students must not feel that way. People are flocking to them not away from them. So they must be doing something right.

Online Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #19 on: January 21, 2023, 10:57:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Religious, that's funny. Liberty is a money factory pretending to be a religious institution in order to fleece unsuspecting folks. The Falwells were a bunch of hypocritical pieces of crap and the current brass at the University doesn't seem to be too far removed from the same kind of cesspool.

Impressive grifters at Liberty

I kinda wish I was devoid of a soul, morals and ethics

Quite easy to fleece the sheep

The following users thanked this post: Johns1124, wasbarryb, gochneaur645, beau42m, Herdalum83

Offline Herdalum83

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2023, 11:31:42 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I get the feeling if they were 100% religious you would feel the same way. And all those students must not feel that way. People are flocking to them not away from them. So they must be doing something right.

No, I wouldn't. My problem has nothing to do with them being religious. My issue has to do with the founders and leaders of the institution being disingenuous, dishonest a-holes that use religion to move up the social and economic ladder all the while presenting a false holier than thou narrative to their followers who are pouring millions of dollars into their pockets. I have an issue when you set a list of rules and parameters for those perceived to be under you to follow or they will face punishment, while you yourself live outside of those rules and parameters because you believe they don't apply to you. That you are above them. That's my issue with Liberty. It has nothing to do with them being religious and everything to do with them misusing religion in order to elevate themselves. In my opinion, it doesn't get any more disgusting than that.

Their size and their "success" in terms of growth and endowment does not mean they are not corrupt and their corruption is well documented.
    « Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 11:34:18 AM by Herdalum83 »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Johns1124, wasbarryb

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2023, 11:47:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No, I wouldn't. My problem has nothing to do with them being religious. My issue has to do with the founders and leaders of the institution being disingenuous, dishonest a-holes that use religion to move up the social and economic ladder all the while presenting a false holier than thou narrative to their followers who are pouring millions of dollars into their pockets. I have an issue when you set a list of rules and parameters for those perceived to be under you to follow or they will face punishment, while you yourself live outside of those rules and parameters because you believe they don't apply to you. That you are above them. That's my issue with Liberty. It has nothing to do with them being religious and everything to do with them misusing religion in order to elevate themselves. In my opinion, it doesn't get any more disgusting than that.

Their size and their "success" in terms of growth and endowment does not mean they are not corrupt and their corruption is well documented.

They must be doing something right. They are exploding while schools like Marshall are fading. Like I said, those students must feel pretty good about the education they are getting or they would fail. Simple as that!!!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2023, 11:47:23 AM »

Offline Johns1124

Offline Herdalum83

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2023, 12:03:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They must be doing something right. They are exploding while schools like Marshall are fading. Like I said, those students must feel pretty good about the education they are getting or they would fail. Simple as that!!!

Again, institutions can be large and successful and still be corrupt.

People can be rich and powerful and still be awful human beings.

Simple as that. 

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2023, 12:03:10 PM »