Author Topic: Proved tonight...  (Read 1399 times)

Offline chezdog30

• Benefactors of HerdFans
  • All American
  • Member Since 01/2011
Proved tonight...
« on: February 01, 2018, 09:56:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]6
  • Bottom feeder D1 and at best middle of the pack CUSA team. Hate to say it but its true.

How you perform the game after a rival/emotional loss tells the story of your season. We will lose more than win the rest of the season.
    « Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 10:00:34 PM by chezdog30 »

HerdFans.com

Proved tonight...
    « on: February 01, 2018, 09:56:44 PM »

Offline Razzy_Fresh

Re: Proved tonight...
    « Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 10:12:26 PM »
  • [Like]2
  • [Dislike]0
  • Bottom feeder D1 and at best middle of the pack CUSA team. Hate to say it but its true.

How you perform the game after a rival/emotional loss tells the story of your season. We will lose more than win the rest of the season.
    Terrible loss tonight, I agree. In a "slump" right now yes.  But, they have time to turn it around. Could easily slide to middle of the pack like you said. But a top 4 spot in conference is still right there.  Too early to burn the bridges. 

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man, LUVTHATHERD

Offline svherd

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 10:14:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • Wait until next year. Bennett will be the savior.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Online mu79grad

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 10:44:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Hopefully, you are right, but even if Bennett is, or is not, the "savior" I would love to see someone from the University of Virginia staff come and teach lock-down defense to our coaching staff and entire team!

The following users thanked this post: ed swain

Offline LUVTHATHERD

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 10:51:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I honestly think we can play good D.  For whatever reason, we just decided not to tonight.  We need help inside without question and that is on the way. Thank goodness.  Tonight was about effort and ours was seriously lacking.

The following users thanked this post: DallasGreen

Offline Big City

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 10:51:59 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]1
  • I love it when Marshall loses a game the negative nellies come out. Let’s just all pile on.
    IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

The following users thanked this post: scherd, wasbarryb, CoachSkip

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 10:52:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Not going to be as effective playing 20' away from the basket because "that is DD's system."

Offline goherd24

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 11:01:08 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]2
  • These people.... We lose a game to a decent team that we flew across the country to play, on the road, by 4, and they want to jump all over a coach who has done nothing but improve his record and develop players since he has been here. Pure ignorance.

The following users thanked this post: scherd, Thundering In MD, CoachSkip

Offline Herdalum83

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 11:09:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not going to be as effective playing 20' away from the basket because "that is DD's system."

Will you give it a damn rest. 1. Bennett hasn't even hit the floor and 2. No one has ever said he's going to play 20 feet from the f'n basket the entire game, all they've said is he isn't going to park in the post with his back to the basket all game. And he won't! No bigs do that anymore that's just not how the game is played these days.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, MidlandKnight

Offline svherd

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 11:14:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • These people.... We lose a game to a decent team that we flew across the country to play, on the road, by 4, and they want to jump all over a coach who has done nothing but improve his record and develop players since he has been here. Pure ignorance.

Teams travel long distances all the time. UTSA was 11-11 according to CUSA board. It was a bad night. We need to regroup and get a W at UTEP.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

Offline Herdiowa

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 11:18:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Still you can’t fault the effort tonight.  No bench and Penava as good as he has been playing this year is still out of position and getting out muscled on the glass. 2nd chance points killed us.

Online Always THE HERD

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 11:42:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]3
  • Hopefully, you are right, but even if Bennett is, or is not, the "savior" I would love to see someone from the University of Virginia staff come and teach lock-down defense to our coaching staff and entire team!
    ~
    I've heard that speech before!!!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 11:42:15 PM »

Offline Herdalum83

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 11:51:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Teams travel long distances all the time. UTSA was 11-11 according to CUSA board. It was a bad night. We need to regroup and get a W at UTEP.

UTSA is the most talented of the Texas schools, they're just young which is why they are up and down. With that said losing this one means that the next we have to win at UTEP and we have to sweep the N. Texas, Rice trip in a few weeks. Do that and take care of the Florida schools at home and all of a sudden we are 10-4 in CUSA play and feeling pretty good about ourselves again.

The following users thanked this post: DC01HERD, CoachSkip

Offline CoachSkip

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2018, 06:47:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Thru 1-31-18 , our RPI was a 96 . There are 351 DI basketball teams . Im sure our RPI dropped some after last nite but I seriously doubt it dropped enough to now be considered a 'bottom feeder" .

Its funny how the Herds bandwagon has to keep stopping to let people off after a loss , then pick em back up when we win a couple games in a row.
    It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance . --- Thomas Sowell
    If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. --- Ronald Reagan
    Character , not circumstances , make the man. --- Booker T Washington
    Bill Nye is an i d i o t
    Ive never killed a mountain lion with my bare hands but Ive choked a few cougars .

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2018, 07:11:03 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I honestly think we can play good D.  For whatever reason, we just decided not to tonight.  We need help inside without question and that is on the way. Thank goodness.  Tonight was about effort and ours was seriously lacking.

If you listened to Dan's interview with Steve Cotton after the game, you nailed it head on. Coach was not happy. Said we didn't come out to play last night. When Steve tried to bring up the positive about coming back, coach said we should have put them away within the first 10 minutes of the game. I've not heard him this hot since the William & Mary loss. He emphasized that the players would know how he felt on the trip to El Paso.

As for playing good D, has everyone forgot how well we played defensively against MTSU? I believe we held them under 70 points. Has any other team in the conference been able to do that? I agree, sometimes this team just takes time off from playing D and it snowballs into other things. We cannot take a night off on the defensive end.

It was mentioned about Elmore getting his game back. 5-10 from three last night is a good start. Problem was, Burks went 0-6 from three. The bottom line was we got killed on the boards, giving up way to many second chance points. That was another thing coach was hot about during that interview.

We need to shake this one off and move forward. Danny always says the next game is the important one, so it's time to put that philosophy to work as a fan base. Time to move on to UTEP and get a win there.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, Herdmeister

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2018, 07:52:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If you listened to Dan's interview with Steve Cotton after the game, you nailed it head on. Coach was not happy. Said we didn't come out to play last night. When Steve tried to bring up the positive about coming back, coach said we should have put them away within the first 10 minutes of the game. I've not heard him this hot since the William & Mary loss. He emphasized that the players would know how he felt on the trip to El Paso.

As for playing good D, has everyone forgot how well we played defensively against MTSU? I believe we held them under 70 points. Has any other team in the conference been able to do that? I agree, sometimes this team just takes time off from playing D and it snowballs into other things. We cannot take a night off on the defensive end.

It was mentioned about Elmore getting his game back. 5-10 from three last night is a good start. Problem was, Burks went 0-6 from three. The bottom line was we got killed on the boards, giving up way to many second chance points. That was another thing coach was hot about during that interview.

We need to shake this one off and move forward. Danny always says the next game is the important one, so it's time to put that philosophy to work as a fan base. Time to move on to UTEP and get a win there.

Nice post! We are half way through the conference. We still control getting that top 4 seed. I plan on enjoying the first round in Frisco by NOT seeing the Herd play until the quarter finals.
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2018, 07:54:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Herd always has to win cusa tourney to get in the ncaa tourney so an L isn't doing anything to stopping that from happening.  We could have won last night and won out lost in champ game and still not made ncaa.  We played helter-skelter like last night. Like they had grease on there hands.  Missed there girlfriends too much I guess.

The following users thanked this post: goherd14562

Offline rvntx

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2018, 08:13:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The only way we,(as a non P5 team) are going to get in the NCAA was to win the conference tournament. Only Middle has any chance of getting an at large bid. And I would not count on that...........

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2018, 08:30:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • https://twitter.com/dougsmock/status/959262572913610752

I don't think I've heard Coach more upset in a post game interview. Dan gets it, and I'll say our team will too.

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2018, 08:40:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • https://twitter.com/dougsmock/status/959262572913610752

I don't think I've heard Coach more upset in a post game interview. Dan gets it, and I'll say our team will too.

I was totally surprised at how pissed he was.

What really got my attention was how dismissive he was of UTSA. It was very uncharacteristic of him to put down an opposing team the way he did them. In my opinion you herd DD come as close as he comes to completely loosing it last night.

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2018, 08:51:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was totally surprised at how pissed he was.

What really got my attention was how dismissive he was of UTSA. It was very uncharacteristic of him to put down an opposing team the way he did them. In my opinion you herd DD come as close as he comes to completely loosing it last night.

As  most on here know, I spend a lot of time talking to him. The tone of his voice last night was one I have never heard before. Quite frankly, I'm hoping to never hear it again.
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2018, 08:52:31 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was totally surprised at how pissed he was.

He was hot last night. That is no doubt. And, I did notice how dismissive he was of our opponent. He said two things that caught my attention concerning this: 1) We finally played a team as small or smaller than us and we gave no effort. 2) We should have put them away in the first 10 minutes of the game. I agree with the first statement. We should not have been dominated on the glass like we were had we given any effort. The second one was a coach who was ticked off and was trying to blow away an excuse that Steve Cotton was going to make. He did not choose his words wisely.

Did you also catch about what he said happened during warm ups? He said the assistant coaches had to get on the players because they were not taking things seriously. I have said this many times during the season. We go thru layup drills like they are not important. Then, we miss several of them during a game. I have a feeling not one of these players are going to be using headphones during warm ups in the next game. They better be listening to what the coaches have to say. And, they better come out with intensity. I don't think Dan will put up with that again.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2018, 08:52:31 AM »

Offline Apollo

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2018, 09:03:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • As  most on here know, I spend a lot of time talking to him. The tone of his voice last night was one I have never heard before. Quite frankly, I'm hoping to never hear it again.
    Was that interview on the radio or post game video conference? I didn't catch it. Would love to hear what he had to say.

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2018, 09:09:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Was that interview on the radio or post game video conference? I didn't catch it. Would love to hear what he had to say.

Steve talking to him courtside after the game on radio
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: Apollo

Offline CoachSkip

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2018, 09:36:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The headphone thing drives me batty . Theres no way in the world I would be a coach now.
    It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance . --- Thomas Sowell
    If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. --- Ronald Reagan
    Character , not circumstances , make the man. --- Booker T Washington
    Bill Nye is an i d i o t
    Ive never killed a mountain lion with my bare hands but Ive choked a few cougars .

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2018, 09:36:23 AM »