Author Topic: Proved tonight...  (Read 1395 times)

Offline GreenWhite

Re: Proved tonight...
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2018, 09:37:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He also said the players would know how upset he was going to El Paso. I imagine that they will hear a lot of Danny talking on the trip there. If there is one thing I have learned about our coach, he gets his point across.

A couple of things we did not consider last night was the bench scoring and Williams being out. We had seven points off the bench. I believe Bledsoe had five of those. As for Williams, I heard Steve say he went thru pregame warm ups and was dressed for the first half. He came out in street clothes in the second half. I hope he is ready to play on Saturday. We need him badly.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2018, 09:37:55 AM »

Offline sardistim

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2018, 11:32:45 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • These people.... We lose a game to a decent team that we flew across the country to play, on the road, by 4, and they want to jump all over a coach who has done nothing but improve his record and develop players since he has been here. Pure ignorance.

I don't want to defend the debbie downers, but I can understand why fans were upset with last night's game -- for the same reason D'Antoni was mad last night. 

The team that wanted it last night won.  We played lazy all night long.  Most of UTSA's offensive rebounds were pure effort.  We were a step short continually.  Peneva thought he was Magic Johnson last night taking it coast to coast half a dozen times.  The first couple were fine, then UTSA adjusted and it was turnover and crappy shots until coach yelled at him enough so that he'd pass it to a guard.  That was only out done by the numerous alley-oops where the pass wasn't even near where Peneva could get it.  It looked like a high school practice where guys are goofing around trying to slam it.

As bad as our effort was we still only lost by 4 on the road.  But that's what was so confounding about the game.  It was clear we were the better, more talented team.  But we walked in there like they were just supposed to give it to us and we didn't have to try.  If that's our attitude, there will be more terrible losses this year.

If the UTEP game starts off the same way, D'Antoni should start sitting some starters -- even though we have no depth.  Better to lose another terrible game than to allow a lazy attitude to permeate the team for the rest of the season.

I think we have the talent to be a top 4 team come tournament time, but only if we play every game like it matters.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, Apollo, The E-Man, LUVTHATHERD

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2018, 11:37:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't want to defend the debbie downers, but I can understand why fans were upset with last night's game -- for the same reason D'Antoni was mad last night. 

The team that wanted it last night won.  We played lazy all night long.  Most of UTSA's offensive rebounds were pure effort.  We were a step short continually.  Peneva thought he was Magic Johnson last night taking it coast to coast half a dozen times.  The first couple were fine, then UTSA adjusted and it was turnover and crappy shots until coach yelled at him enough so that he'd pass it to a guard.  That was only out done by the numerous alley-oops where the pass wasn't even near where Peneva could get it.  It looked like a high school practice where guys are goofing around trying to slam it.

As bad as our effort was we still only lost by 4 on the road.  But that's what was so confounding about the game.  It was clear we were the better, more talented team.  But we walked in there like they were just supposed to give it to us and we didn't have to try.  If that's our attitude, there will be more terrible losses this year.

If the UTEP game starts off the same way, D'Antoni should start sitting some starters -- even though we have no depth.  Better to lose another terrible game than to allow a lazy attitude to permeate the team for the rest of the season.

I think we have the talent to be a top 4 team come tournament time, but only if we play every game like it matters.

I agree with what you say. It was a hard loss to swallow because we had better talent now. I have a feeling Danny got his point across to the guys last night. If not, they will hear more of it today and tomorrow.

The following users thanked this post: LUVTHATHERD

Offline coalherd

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2018, 11:38:40 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agree that post game interview certainly was a departure from Danny's usual casual, laid back demeanor, win or lose.  Was pretty direct, almost curt, and didn't mince words.  Almost as if he had totally forgotten his mantra that at MU, we play for "FUN"!!

Offline CoachSkip

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2018, 11:47:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He needed to crap the whip and he did , probably long overdue . Maybe those agendas snuck back in again .
    It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance . --- Thomas Sowell
    If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. --- Ronald Reagan
    Character , not circumstances , make the man. --- Booker T Washington
    Bill Nye is an i d i o t
    Ive never killed a mountain lion with my bare hands but Ive choked a few cougars .

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2018, 12:43:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • And I believe he did right after all the press obligations.

Offline Herdinfla

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2018, 01:12:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He also said the players would know how upset he was going to El Paso. I imagine that they will hear a lot of Danny talking on the trip there. If there is one thing I have learned about our coach, he gets his point across.

A couple of things we did not consider last night was the bench scoring and Williams being out. We had seven points off the bench. I believe Bledsoe had five of those. As for Williams, I heard Steve say he went thru pregame warm ups and was dressed for the first half. He came out in street clothes in the second half. I hope he is ready to play on Saturday. We need him badly.

williams did warm up pregame. but he came out in street clothes for the entire game.

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2018, 01:47:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I guess I misunderstood Steve. I do have a tendency to turn things off in my mind sometimes. Plus, my wife was yelling at the radio!!

Offline chezdog30

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • All American
    • Member Since 01/2011
    « Reply #33 on: February 02, 2018, 03:00:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I simply stated the facts as did Coach after the game. Analytics are depended upon by the elite coaches. One that is never ignored is how you respond to defeat. We came out and laid an egg against a bad team. A very bad team. Coach realizes that and the simple analytic of how you respond to pressure is a tale tale of your season.

I anticipate Coach D lighting this team up but we are not as good as most think.

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2018, 03:02:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • I simply stated the facts as did Coach after the game. Analytics are depended upon by the elite coaches. One that is never ignored is how you respond to defeat. We came out and laid an egg against a bad team. A very bad team. Coach realizes that and the simple analytic of how you respond to pressure is a tale tale of your season.

I anticipate Coach D lighting this team up but we are not as good as most think.

I'm not so sure I would call a team that beat UAB by 12 on Saturday in Birmingham a VERY bad team
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: lovetheherd2, Thundering In MD, Apollo, herdorbust

Online elginherd

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2018, 03:15:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What disturbed me as much or more than the Herd's lack of defensive rebounding was how many 50-50 balls ended up in UTSA'a hands. The Herd had a far amount of deflections, but it seemed like the 'runners ended up with most of the loose balls.

I also thought some of the rebounding problems were a result of the lack of on-the-ball defensive effort for much of the game. In short we didn't d-up well at all. (West excepted.)

Another thing that I think D will address will be the lack of ball movement before some of the threes were jacked up.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Offline herdman

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2018, 06:18:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]3
  • Why is anyone surprised. We are the worst scoring defense in the league and worst defensive rebouding team in the league. Not sure why coach is all the sudden pissed. We have not rebounded and played defense since he has been here. 

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2018, 06:18:00 PM »

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2018, 06:31:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]3
  • I was pissed about last nights game, still am a bit.

But honestly, some of you girls need to grab a fresh tampon, take some Midol and relax.

jesus
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline coalherd

« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2018, 09:29:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The headphone thing drives me batty . Theres no way in the world I would be a coach now.

Hey CoachSkip, that headphone thing pales in comparison to the breaking out of the cell phones on the bench during games by Herd players (Justin Coleman, Pittman perhaps) back when the program was crumbling in Herrion's last year or so!!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2018, 09:29:00 PM »