Author Topic: NIL Game Change  (Read 479 times)

Offline HerdEcon

NIL Game Change
« on: April 18, 2024, 11:33:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Illegal in Virginia for the NCAA to punish schools for directly paying students NIL money.  In Virginia, schools can now pay athletes.  This is another step toward the death of college athletics as we knew it.  Haves vs. the have nots.

Athletes going to the schools that pays them the most.  Texas paying OL and DL directly $50k a year whether they play or ride the bench. 

Can Marshall compete with the pay scales in northern VA, Atlanta, Hampton Roads VA, or the Austin/San Antonio metro area?  That's just in conference, not considering the other G5 school locations.

https://www.si.com/college/2024/04/18/virginia-nil-law-college-sports

HerdFans.com

NIL Game Change
    « on: April 18, 2024, 11:33:55 PM »

Offline banker

Re: NIL Game Change
    « Reply #1 on: April 19, 2024, 02:46:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • At this point I just don?t care anymore. I?ll still go to games because it?s my fall entertainment and socializing, but don?t care who?s on the team or if we lose. I?ll hop the bandwagon if we have a good season. I would drop my Big Green if I didn?t need to pay it to keep my west lot spot.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, ru4mu2, muherd34

Offline MUther

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2024, 07:45:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Illegal in Virginia for the NCAA to punish schools for directly paying students NIL money.  In Virginia, schools can now pay athletes.  This is another step toward the death of college athletics as we knew it.  Haves vs. the have nots.

Athletes going to the schools that pays them the most.  Texas paying OL and DL directly $50k a year whether they play or ride the bench. 

Can Marshall compete with the pay scales in northern VA, Atlanta, Hampton Roads VA, or the Austin/San Antonio metro area?  That's just in conference, not considering the other G5 school locations.

https://www.si.com/college/2024/04/18/virginia-nil-law-college-sports

They can't make it illegal for a voluntarily joined organization to enforce their agreed upon rules.  That'd be like a state law that says a country club can't kick you out for driving the golf cart on the greens in another state.  Or that a company can't fire you for drinking on the job as an at-will employee because it's legal to drink in that state.  It's not a legal matter.  The NCAA could just say "Fine, you aren't members anymore.  Do what you want."

The following users thanked this post: Lord Haw-Haw

Offline HerdEcon

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2024, 08:33:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They can't make it illegal for a voluntarily joined organization to enforce their agreed upon rules.  That'd be like a state law that says a country club can't kick you out for driving the golf cart on the greens in another state.  Or that a company can't fire you for drinking on the job as an at-will employee because it's legal to drink in that state.  It's not a legal matter.  The NCAA could just say "Fine, you aren't members anymore.  Do what you want."

Without getting into the legalities of it, there are other states currently considering similar legislation.  If other states pass similar legislation then the votes may be there within the NCAA governing board to change the position of the NCAA.  This is just the first step in that direction. 

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2024, 08:44:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • At this point I just don?t care anymore. I?ll still go to games because it?s my fall entertainment and socializing, but don?t care who?s on the team or if we lose. I?ll hop the bandwagon if we have a good season. I would drop my Big Green if I didn?t need to pay it to keep my west lot spot.
    I'm there too.  Really apathetic to FB and BB now.  Soccer at MU is really only thing I'm much interested in at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2024, 08:55:42 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I honestly don?t care about any college sport at this point. Not like I used to anyway. I think I come here out of habit.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, wlf, VA Herd Fan

Offline MUfan08

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2024, 09:27:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They can't make it illegal for a voluntarily joined organization to enforce their agreed upon rules.  That'd be like a state law that says a country club can't kick you out for driving the golf cart on the greens in another state.  Or that a company can't fire you for drinking on the job as an at-will employee because it's legal to drink in that state.  It's not a legal matter.  The NCAA could just say "Fine, you aren't members anymore.  Do what you want."

The NCAA is currently being sued by multiple states that the organization is limiting players NIL potential by the schools not supporting or paying players NIL directly (using the antitrust laws again).

The problem is that the NCAA never came out with outlines regarding NILs, but came out with a memo in 2021 that was very very vague. When schools had inquiries the NCAA did not have answers and were not coming out with outlines that the institutions requested on NILs.
    The NCAA has tried to enforce penalties with real time decisions on situations (ex: FSU and Tennessee) and they were arbitrary decisions by the NCAA.

The NCAA already has an approved proposal of schools being able to assist players with their NIL and was to be voted on this upcoming Monday. This coming about because of the lawsuits they are currently facing.

Would imagine the D1 board to update their proposal where schools can pay players directly for their NIL based on the state ruling in Virginia and other legislations currently being proposed by 10 other states for similar laws that Virginia just approved.

Thread below on the NCAA NIL reform.

https://www.herdfans.com/12thman/index.php?topic=118149.0

Offline JeremyBlake23

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2024, 11:32:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • At this point I just don?t care anymore.

Same. I went from making sure I was at every game to not even keeping up with the games half the time anymore. It's basically the NFL, which I already don't watch for the same reasons.

Offline forphase1

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2024, 11:50:54 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Of course they can.  Just like a private business can't not serve someone due to their race or religion, or California saying that for Ford to sell cars in their state they have to meet certain criteria that don't apply to the rest of the nation.  Heck, many HOAs, which are a voluntarily joined organization that enforces agreed upon rules, have had various rules thrown out by the legislatures or the court.  Granted they were dealing mainly with race, gender, religion, etc., but to act like the law doesn't impact the rules of voluntarily joined organizations is false.  They just say that such rules are against public policy and make them null and void.  I don't agree with it, but nor do I agree with the examples I listed either.  But that's the world we live in today where governments are able to mandate more and more.  I would be shocked if this goes to court given the recent rulings and I'd be even more shocked if the NCAA were to win.  College sports has changed, is going to continue to change, and there is no turning back.  It saddens me as I just don't personally care for college sports much any more, but that genie isn't going back into the bottle. 

Let's Go Herd! 

Final Rankings: 1999 - #10 (AP & ESPN), #12 (BCS); 2001 - #21 (ESPN); 2002 - #24 (AP), #19 (ESPN), 2014 - #22 (coaches), #23 (AP)

Championships: 1925 WVIAC, 1928 WVIAC, 1931 WVIAC, 1937 Buckeye Conference, 1988 Southern Conference, 1992 I-AA, 1994 Southern Conference, 1996 Southern Conference, 1996 I-AA (15-0), 1997 MAC, 1998 MAC, 1998 Motor City, 1999 MAC (13-0), 1999 Motor City, 2000 MAC, 2000 Motor City, 2001 GMAC, 2002 MAC, 2002 GMAC, 2009 Pizza Bowl, 2011 Beef O Brady Bowl, 2013 Military Bowl, 2014 Boca Raton Bowl, 2015 St. Petersburg Bowl, 2017 New Mexico Bowl, 2018 Gasparilla Bowl.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2024, 11:50:54 AM »