Author Topic: Baseball Attendance  (Read 1392 times)

Offline wesnky

Baseball Attendance
« on: April 17, 2024, 01:24:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Looking at the home box scores baseball attendance is at around 1500 per game.  For those that have been to some games do you feel like this is tickets sold or real butts in the seats?   Also I have never seen what the capacity of the stadium is , not including SRO, anyone know?

HerdFans.com

Baseball Attendance
    « on: April 17, 2024, 01:24:01 PM »

Online miltonherdfan

Re: Baseball Attendance
    « Reply #1 on: April 17, 2024, 01:50:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Also I have never seen what the capacity of the stadium is , not including SRO, anyone know?

standing room capacity of 5,000 fans

Online whf

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2024, 03:03:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I went to the start of the WVU game, so I could only relate to that one game, I'd say there were about 1,500 butts there.

Offline Jbabbington

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2024, 04:46:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was at the game last night, it was an excellent crowd. I would venture to say that if everyone who was standing was seated we would have been at close to 75% capacity in the seats.

We're not really all that good, and it was Morehead on a Tuesday - yet the crowd was impressive. I'd venture to say we'll see crowds like that as the weather continues to get better.

I think that the TST Coal Cat weekend games this Summer will do really well.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline MUther

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2024, 04:53:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well the number ain't 62, right 129?  We built it and they came.  Now if we get to where we give them something to see it'll just get better.  There's already been some things happen like the opening home run and the WVU win to draw a few folks.  That will build over time.

I don't know for certain but my guess is that our current home average is at least twice as good as our best crowd in Charleston.
    « Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 04:55:53 PM by MUther »

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2024, 10:12:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well the number ain't 62, right 129?  We built it and they came.  Now if we get to where we give them something to see it'll just get better.  There's already been some things happen like the opening home run and the WVU win to draw a few folks.  That will build over time.

I don't know for certain but my guess is that our current home average is at least twice as good as our best crowd in Charleston.

We will see if it continues with the terrible product we are putting on the field.

Also, 62 wasn?t a guess. That was literally our average attendance at the time.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: Lord Haw-Haw

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2024, 10:42:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The product will have to get a LOT better. If not the attendance will start fading. All that is propping it up now is the newness of a shiny new stadium. That will fade over time without a much better product. Just like woman's basketball will fade without an exciting full court pressure defense and a 17-1 SB record.

The following users thanked this post: Lord Haw-Haw

Offline Nicks Pizza

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Rookie
    • In this world there are no sides
    « Reply #7 on: April 18, 2024, 01:58:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If the team doesn't start producing a winner, the "newness" will wear off and we will go back to no one attending the games. In my opinion, it's easy to say "if you build it they will come", but the reality is the phrase should say "if you build it, the team/product is good, and the weather is nice, they will come".

The following users thanked this post: chris88, miltonherdfan, herdfan129, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline luckytoes99

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2024, 07:49:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

When season tickets went on sale before the season, I counted a max of 1568 permanent seats around the field on the Herdzone ticket chooser map. This did not include box seating, handicap seats, picnic seating, etc. Even including those, I'm not sure where capacity previously noted by Marshall would approach 3500 before standing room only areas are included.

Speaking of box seats, Marshall is offering those online for single games at $50 along with $10 for standing room. I would assume the club seats didn't sell out as season ticket packages or were turned over to SeatGeek to sell.

The following users thanked this post: chris88, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline chris88

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2024, 07:55:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If the team doesn't start producing a winner, the "newness" will wear off and we will go back to no one attending the games. In my opinion, it's easy to say "if you build it they will come", but the reality is the phrase should say "if you build it, the team/product is good, and the weather is nice, they will come".

Many factors for sure. The weather has been sub par for most of season. Being 10-5 at home a positive. But winning fixes most things. Next recruiting class is going to be better and we've been reasonably competitive despite lacking in pitching and hitting so HC must be doing something right. Softball is bringing in a top notch class next year as well (probably a notch or two above baseball class). I expect us to be top four in league next year in SB and significantly improved in baseball.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdfan93

Offline THECHAMPISHERE

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2024, 08:34:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Looks like I'm right again. From 62 to 1500 in year one. Who was it that kept saying no-one cares about baseball, it's dying, and they only get 62 a game?? What's happening is what I said would happen. I think attendance stays consistently around that number in years to come...the newness wearing off will be balanced out by a better team.

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Online whf

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2024, 09:00:49 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This team is far from terrible, I don't think you're watching many games if you think they are terrible.

They should be winning more than they are, untimely errors (which should be correctable).  They try hard, play hard, and the pitching is a couple players away from being competitive in a very good college baseball league.

The facility is very nice, although I am not sure why they had to put the concession stands at both ends of the structure, instead of in the middle where the fans are.  The upper level box seating area looks fantastic, I think it would be a good experience at $50.00 each, arrive early and stay late.

We plan on being their as often as we can.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2024, 09:00:49 AM »

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2024, 09:17:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This team is far from terrible, I don't think you're watching many games if you think they are terrible.

They should be winning more than they are, untimely errors (which should be correctable).  They try hard, play hard, and the pitching is a couple players away from being competitive in a very good college baseball league.

The facility is very nice, although I am not sure why they had to put the concession stands at both ends of the structure, instead of in the middle where the fans are.  The upper level box seating area looks fantastic, I think it would be a good experience at $50.00 each, arrive early and stay late.

We plan on being their as often as we can.

The concessions are where they need to be to allow flow through the concourse.  I think that was something they learned from the Charleston ballpark's errors. 
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2024, 09:33:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Looks like I'm right again. From 62 to 1500 in year one. Who was it that kept saying no-one cares about baseball, it's dying, and they only get 62 a game?? What's happening is what I said would happen. I think attendance stays consistently around that number in years to come...the newness wearing off will be balanced out by a better team.

Baseball is dying, that?s a fact. We get more fans for soccer than baseball.

I?m glad we have a new stadium though. If we are going to sponsor the sport then we should have proper facilities for them.

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2024, 09:35:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Baseball is dying, that?s a fact. We get more fans for soccer than baseball.

I?m glad we have a new stadium though. If we are going to sponsor the sport then we should have proper facilities for them.

Do you think attendance for baseball would be more than for soccer if we were, for instance, playing for a national championship every year?  C'mon...

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: 2xBison, ru4mu2, MUther

Offline herdfan48

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2024, 09:36:50 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I went to the start of the WVU game, so I could only relate to that one game, I'd say there were about 1,500 butts there.
    The weather that night really hurt that crowd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline THECHAMPISHERE

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2024, 10:52:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Baseball is dying, that?s a fact. We get more fans for soccer than baseball.

Oh here we go again. LOL. You are insane. Soccer at Marshall fresh off a National championship in 2021 averaged 1,446 fans a game. A below average Marshall baseball team lightyears away from a National Championship is averaging 1,500. So a national championship level college soccer team draws less on AVERAGE than the current 176 (rpi) below average baseball team here (and would anywhere else for that matter). That's how much interest in "baseball is dying" and how awesome soccer is.

I know since the NC you fell crazy in love with soccer. That's great. I'm really happy for you and soccer. I am. But before then even YOU didn't care. Your personal obsession with it doesn't make it relevant nationally. You screaming FACTS after an ignorantly false statement doesn't make what you say true.
    « Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 10:54:50 AM by THECHAMPISHERE »

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2024, 12:12:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Personally I would rather mow grass or do something productive around the house than go to a soccer or baseball game. Now that isn't a knock on those that go but just me. I find both beyond boring.

Offline MUther

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2024, 12:20:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• We will see if it continues with the terrible product we are putting on the field.

Also, 62 wasn?t a guess. That was literally our average attendance at the time.

Oh I know.  The kicker is you said it wouldn't increase because we put in a field.  Many times.  So many times.  I said that no one would go up to Chas to see a game or up route 2 to a crap field, but they'd support one near campus.

Many Sun Belt schools sell out their baseball games.  Many sell thousands of season tickets.  We are the best soccer club in the league with a recent national title and we don't even max out for soccer except for WVU, vs top 25, and playoffs.  I agree MLB is dying.  Has nothing to do with the game and everything to do with MLB.  It's more popular than ever at the collegiate level.  And way more popular than soccer at the collegiate level.  College World Series is a big deal and gets top billing on ESPN.  They know people watch it.  Soccer barely makes ESPN+.  They don't even list scores for collegiate soccer.  Only pro.  And I'm not knocking soccer.  I wish it had more attention since we're good at it.  Just stating FACTS.
    « Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 12:36:26 PM by MUther »

Offline wesnky

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2024, 01:05:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

This article says says capacity of 2000 then I think 1500 SRO, so 3500 total which makes more sense, the opening day crowd was 3150,

https://wvmetronews.com/2024/02/29/marshall-welcomes-manhattan-to-open-jack-cook-field/

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. ? The long-awaited and much-anticipated unveiling of an on-campus baseball facility at Marshall has come.

After years playing in public park facilities and on high school fields in the Huntington area as well as Charleston and even Beckley, Marshall baseball will be in action Friday at Jack Cook Field against the Manhattan Jaspers.

First pitch of the first of three games this weekend is scheduled for 3 p.m.

The new, 2,000-seat facility is named for longtime Herd baseball coach Jack Cook. Cook is the winningest coach in Marshall baseball history with a 422-344-3 record. Cook was also a Marshall baseball player and captained the 1949 team.
    « Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 02:07:31 PM by wesnky »

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2024, 01:10:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• This article says says capacity of 2000 then I think 1500 SRO, so 3500 total which makes more since the opening day crowd was 3150,

https://wvmetronews.com/2024/02/29/marshall-welcomes-manhattan-to-open-jack-cook-field/

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. ? The long-awaited and much-anticipated unveiling of an on-campus baseball facility at Marshall has come.

After years playing in public park facilities and on high school fields in the Huntington area as well as Charleston and even Beckley, Marshall baseball will be in action Friday at Jack Cook Field against the Manhattan Jaspers.

First pitch of the first of three games this weekend is scheduled for 3 p.m.

The new, 2,000-seat facility is named for longtime Herd baseball coach Jack Cook. Cook is the winningest coach in Marshall baseball history with a 422-344-3 record. Cook was also a Marshall baseball player and captained the 1949 team.

I found it interesting that there were hundreds of people that didn't bother to sit in their paid-for seats, but preferred to mingle about the tables on the concourse.  There are also spots next to the handicap-reserved seats where people brought 'soccer' chairs and had some of the best seats in the house for the cost of a standing-room ticket.  Lots of those on the bank as you first come in on the first base side as well - I don't know if it was designed that way, but there are a couple of hundred 'spots' for soccer chairs/standing room ticket holders that are really good 'seats'. 

- E-Man

Offline coalherd

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2024, 09:01:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agee with posts indicating performance (success) on the field will now mean more when it comes to crowd sizes now that MU has a legit D-1 facility for baseball.  Fact is that HERD currently is losing 2 out of every 3 games it plays!  Now the staff?s job is to get MORE legit D-1 talent on the team.  Pretty clear that, just like in men?s basketball, HERD baseball has too many players who are D-1 in name only!
    « Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 09:07:53 PM by coalherd »

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2024, 09:01:15 PM »

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2024, 12:09:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agreed college baseball is more popular than MLB which is dying while MLS continues to grow in this country.

I hope we average 10k per game in baseball. The question is, how many will we average if we continue to lose next season?

I don?t think anyone said we wouldn?t increase attendance some with an on campus stadium. I will say we are currently averaging more than I expected. It was hard not to go up from an average of 62 per game.

We keep losing and we will be back below 500 per game though.

Offline banker

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2024, 02:43:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So you spend $15 million, or whatever it was, for 1,500 fans. That?s $10,000 per attendee. That means we could drop $250,000,000 on a football stadium I guess.

Oh, as to the weather excuse - our weather will always be bad for a college baseball season.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline puma

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2024, 07:52:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The concessions are where they need to be to allow flow through the concourse.  I think that was something they learned from the Charleston ballpark's errors.

Yeah, I like the setup. Even on opening day when it was crowded, there weren't excessive lines and you could still see the field. Same thing with the SRO area with the bar tops. People can loiter around, socialize, and watch the game without blocking aisles or the concourse. Somebody put a lot of thought into the design.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2024, 07:52:16 AM »