Author Topic: Huff Press Conference  (Read 1438 times)

Online Flat Tire 2

Huff Press Conference
« on: April 14, 2024, 08:57:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I read the HD story today online,  there's not much information in the article. The article seems to be written based on the video in the link below.

The only think I found interesting was Huff's comments on the transfer portal around the 7 minute mark of the video Depending on the situation, they may be hitting the portal after spring practice is finished.  He stated the portal is a two way street. He said he meets with every player after the bowl game and after spring practice to give them an honest assessment of their potential to play. He tells them what they need to do to contributor. If the players are not going to be contributors, he helps them transfer out to another school. He said we had a bunch of walk-ons left after the first semester. Those players were paying their own way through college and needed to transfer to a school where they might find a scholarship.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, chris88, miltonherdfan, elginherd

HerdFans.com

Huff Press Conference
    « on: April 14, 2024, 08:57:08 AM »

Online herdorbust2

Re: Huff Press Conference
    « Reply #1 on: April 14, 2024, 09:43:50 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I read the HD story today online,  there's not much information in the article. The article seems to be written based on the video in the link below.

The only think I found interesting was Huff's comments on the transfer portal around the 7 minute mark of the video Depending on the situation, they may be hitting the portal after spring practice is finished.  He stated the portal is a two way street. He said he meets with every player after the bowl game and after spring practice to give them an honest assessment of their potential to play. He tells them what they need to do to contributor. If the players are not going to be contributors, he helps them transfer out to another school. He said we had a bunch of walk-ons left after the first semester. Those players were paying their own way through college and needed to transfer to a school where they might find a scholarship.

Basically they recruit and look 24-7-365. That is how you have to do it today and something that Danny never could understand. One thing about Huff is he understands today's landscape and embrasses it instead of running from it.

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2024, 09:53:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Basically they recruit and look 24-7-365. That is how you have to do it today and something that Danny never could understand. One thing about Huff is he understands today's landscape and embrasses it instead of running from it.

I don't want to turn this tread into another bash Dan drama, but you make a good point.

I thought about that when I watching the video. I don't remember Dan discussing the portal (except to complain) and I think I remember a post that Dan had year in review meetings with all the players? I found interesting the football players wanted to see the field and would leave Marshall for a chance to play at another school. The basketball players seemed to be content with riding the bench. I think that says a lot about type  of some of the players that Dan recruited, they had no drive to be successful.

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

Offline HerdEcon

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2024, 11:02:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If Huff picks up more players from the transfer portal after spring practice it will be interesting to watch.  Every coach will meet with their players after spring practice to discuss what the player should focus on over the summer and the players prospects for playing time in the fall.    Every coach will try to jettison players that aren't living up to expectations. It would be a waste of time for Huff to replace below average players with more below average players.  If Huff picks up players from other G5 or lower P5 programs we probably aren't improving our roster much.

Online Always THE HERD

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2024, 11:50:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

He "did NOT" tell the walk-on that they needed to transfer! He said if they have a chance to go get a scholarship somewhere else, he was all for it (that's much different than what you Flat Tire 2 stated).

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2024, 01:03:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He "did NOT" tell the walk-on that they needed to transfer! He said if they have a chance to go get a scholarship somewhere else, he was all for it (that's much different than what you Flat Tire 2 stated).

I never said that he told the walk-ons needed to transfer: "He said we had a bunch of walk-ons left after the first semester. Those players were paying their own way through college and needed to transfer to a school where they might find a scholarship."

Watch the video and reread my post, very slowly.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, ru4mu2

Online Always THE HERD

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2024, 04:25:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I never said that he told the walk-ons needed to transfer: "He said we had a bunch of walk-ons left after the first semester. Those players were paying their own way through college and needed to transfer to a school where they might find a scholarship."

Watch the video and reread my post, very slowly.
    You need to re-read your response above.

Offline ThunderingHerdFan

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2024, 06:23:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Dan isn't the basketball coach anymore so the need to regurgitate two years of thread-jacking are over. Or should be.

There has never been a doubt of Huff's effort to build the roster. He works that every day. Some positions with more success than other but I've never had a doubt of the man's work ethic.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, Collis P, luckytoes99, overherd1, herdfan129

Offline GreenBison

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2024, 08:08:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    The smell of arcrid smoke and horses breath - The Trooper - Steve Harris

Offline DJdaHERDfan

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2024, 11:46:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think Huff has hit the portal hard this season. He wants to put a winner on the field bad
    IT'S TAILGATING SEASON!

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, HerdEcon, herdorbust2

Offline GreenBison

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2024, 11:49:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think Huff has hit the portal hard this season. He wants to put a winner on the field bad

I hope he does... Still I'm mad over what he said about the fans and boosters regarding Fancher.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, HerdEcon

Online MUonium

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2024, 12:25:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • of course there's not as much pressure in the off season, but Huff seems to have toned down the defensive posture regarding addressing the fans.  he and his team seem to stay on point about recruiting/getting players, so i hope he applies that approach towards the fans from now on.  winning championships will go along way to curb any negative enthusiasm out of the mouth of babes and grandpas alike

The following users thanked this post: HerdEcon

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2024, 12:25:54 PM »

Online overherd1

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2024, 12:27:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We are in a two week transfer portal period I believe.  Will be interesting to see who leaves and who comes in.

The following users thanked this post: HerdEcon, MUonium

Offline jdonaccbus

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2024, 05:59:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Would we take another QB?

I saw where Collin Schlee has left UCLA to go to a school closer to his home in Maryland. Schlee was impressive at Kent State running the offense that Sean Lewis had there. Schlee played out towards the western part of Maryland for a good high school program.

I am not sure Braxton can run this offense effectively and Griffis is pretty small.

The following users thanked this post: HerdEcon

Online MUonium

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2024, 06:48:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I saw where Collin Schlee has left UCLA to go to a school closer to his home in Maryland. Schlee was impressive at Kent State running the offense that Sean Lewis had there. Schlee played out towards the western part of Maryland for a good high school program.

I am not sure Braxton can run this offense effectively and Griffis is pretty small.

if they are high on one, YES

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, miltonherdfan

Offline HerdEcon

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2024, 08:37:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

We may be short on QB and talent on offense. 

The following users thanked this post: MUonium

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2024, 08:50:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hope he does... Still I'm mad over what he said about the fans and boosters regarding Fancher.

He shouldn't have said that publicly as damaging to program but as I recall he was not wrong.
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline GreenBison

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2024, 09:03:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He shouldn't have said that publicly as damaging to program but as I recall he was not wrong.

I never said anything like that, and I don't know anyone who did. Shitty thing to call out the entire fanbase. Then in his apology he talked %^&* about us again!

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2024, 09:11:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I never said anything like that, and I don't know anyone who did. Shitty thing to call out the entire fanbase. Then in his apology he talked %^&* about us again!

I agree, he shouldn't have done it.  Bad judgement.  I read the boards, I walked the lots, I sat in the stands, I listened to alot of herd fans, I listened to many of my friends, and he wasn't wrong at all with what he said.  He just shouldn't have done it.

Our fan base likes to dish it out.... not so much on taking it even if true.
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: MUther

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2024, 09:22:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Coaches make mistakes. Remember, Dan called out the fan base which was unjustified. Dan said we weren't Marshall fans, I took that personally and glad he got fired.
    « Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 05:44:56 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

Online muherd34

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2024, 10:35:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree, he shouldn't have done it.  Bad judgement.  I read the boards, I walked the lots, I sat in the stands, I listened to alot of herd fans, I listened to many of my friends, and he wasn't wrong at all with what he said.  He just shouldn't have done it.

Our fan base likes to dish it out.... not so much on taking it even if true.

You do not bite the hand that feeds you.  Plain and simple.  It?s not about dishing things out or taking it.  He effectively damaged or at least tried to damage the institution and his job.  Not very smart. But at any rate, I 100% support Huff and the program and hope he has learned from his mistake.

Online herd2win

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2024, 04:50:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is a big year for Huff.  Let's hope he understands his mistake and we win the SBC.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2024, 04:50:26 PM »

Offline MUther

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2024, 05:08:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You do not bite the hand that feeds you.  Plain and simple.  It?s not about dishing things out or taking it.  He effectively damaged or at least tried to damage the institution and his job.  Not very smart. But at any rate, I 100% support Huff and the program and hope he has learned from his mistake.

BS.  People said what they wanted all season and then got called out for it.  They're mad that he was right.  They were mad when Porter called out the booing earlier in the season.  I tried many times last season to get people to lay off a kid that was working hard and doing what was asked of him to the best of his ability.  Many posts straight up calling him trash and garbage.  That's not ok and we should be grateful that we have a coach that will stand up for his players even when he knows there'll be backlash.  Despite all the drama and who said what, we ran off our only QB with extensive game experience.  if you were part of the problem, own it.  If you weren't then Huff's words shouldn't have affected you in the least.  Didn't bother me one bit what he said.

Online herd2win

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2024, 05:36:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • BS.  People said what they wanted all season and then got called out for it.  They're mad that he was right.  They were mad when Porter called out the booing earlier in the season.  I tried many times last season to get people to lay off a kid that was working hard and doing what was asked of him to the best of his ability.  Many posts straight up calling him trash and garbage.  That's not ok and we should be grateful that we have a coach that will stand up for his players even when he knows there'll be backlash.  Despite all the drama and who said what, we ran off our only QB with extensive game experience.  if you were part of the problem, own it.  If you weren't then Huff's words shouldn't have affected you in the least.  Didn't bother me one bit what he said.

You are wrong in many of your comments.  Huff stated "Fancher" said the fans ran him off when Fancher and family came out and said that was false.  Also, Huff said Huntington is not a good place and the fans are tough to play for.  He should be promoting the area and fans not putting down the people that pay your salary.

A message board is an open forum to criticize players, coaches, administrators etc, it happens at every school.

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2024, 01:10:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If the players don?t want to hear booing from the crowd then they can play better. Long gone are the days where they are amateur athletes playing for school pride.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2024, 01:10:22 AM »