Author Topic: Juli Fulks new Woman's Basketball Coach according to Luke Creasy MU writer  (Read 1486 times)

HerdFans.com

Offline MarshallSteve

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Congratulations Juli and welcome to Herd Country!

Sent from my SM-A546U using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline GreenWhite

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I heard there will be a press conference Tuesday. Welcome aboard Coach Fulks.

Online Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Looks like an excellent resume

Offline Tim Hensley

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Didn't the clipboard-carrying C. J. Woolum end up at Christopher Newport?

Offline GreenWhite

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am betting we will have some good women's basketball. I think she will learn quickly that she will need a little bit of heighth to win at this level. Coach Fulks will have to adapt to the level she is at now. A good coach will do that. I feel confident she will get the players in here she needs. You don't win 400 games, no matter what level, without knowing what it takes.

Offline HerdEcon

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Announcement from HerdZone earlier today.

https://herdzone.com/news/2024/4/12/womens-basketball-juli-fulks-named-as-marshalls-new-womens-basketball-coach

For our athletic department or news media... what style of play does she like to use?  I'm one of many Herd fans that liked the fast pace exciting style of play that KC used. 
    « Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 05:22:17 PM by HerdEcon »

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, horsrman

Offline GreenWhite

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I thought I saw somewhere that her teams averaged around 70 points a game while giving up 43. They also shoot a lot of three's but go after the offensive rebounds. I, too, like the fast paced game. But, I am excited to see what coach Fulks brings to Marshall.

Offline herdfan129

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I?m interested to see how this works out, but there?s a big difference between a successful D2 coach like Kim and a D3 coach.

D3 schools don?t even offer athletic scholarships.

Her resume is impressive and I hope she can translate that success to Marshall.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

Offline MicDrass1

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Even though D3 don?t offer athletic money - the good ones give whatever they need to be good

I remember D1 Charlotte being beat like a pulp by D3 Wesley College in fball.  Wesley College was putting players in NFL on the regular. 

Offline herdfan129

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Even though D3 don?t offer athletic money - the good ones give whatever they need to be good

I remember D1 Charlotte being beat like a pulp by D3 Wesley College in fball.  Wesley College was putting players in NFL on the regular.

Yes. There are great players at every level. I?m in her corner. Hope she does well, but taking and wait and see approach.

The following users thanked this post: horsrman

Offline herdman22

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I?m interested to see how this works out, but there?s a big difference between a successful D2 coach like Kim and a D3 coach.

D3 schools don?t even offer athletic scholarships.

Her resume is impressive and I hope she can translate that success to Marshall.
    Our son was recruited by D2 and D3. He was much more impressed with the D3 coaches and what I noticed was they had to be more creative in their recruitment. Both, however, recruited well. While no athletic scholarships were available there were other scholarship opportunities offered. I have no worries about recruiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, horsrman

HerdFans.com

Offline herdfan129

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Read this on their website. I love the upward trajectory of the program under her. I can see why we hired her:

In 2022, Transylvania finished the regular season unbeaten in reached the NCAA Elite Eight for the first time in program history.

In 2023, Transylvania made history and won the University's first National Championship in route to an undefeated season at 33-0. Madison Kellione was named First Team All-American by the WBCA and was the NCAA Championship MVP. Fulks was named d3hoops.com Co-DIII Coach of the Year.

In 2024, Transylvania kept their winning streak going and would finish the regular season unbeaten for the third consecutive season. The Pioneers made history as they extended their win streak to 64 games. The win streak is 3rd longest in NCAA DIII Women's Basketball history, 7th in all NCAA Divisions for Women's Basketball, and 8th all time for all NCAA Divisions for Men's and Women's Basketball. The Pioneers earned their second final four trip before losing to New York University. Dasia Thornton was named WBCA and d3hoops.com First Team All-American.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, elginherd

Offline chris88

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Here is her entire coaching record:

NOTES:
    - She started 74-77 in first six seasons at Lewis & Clark. I looked up what happened before she arrived. The program was 5-20 the year before she took over and had double digit losses every year in D3 and before D3. So she didn't inherit a good situation at all. It also looks like they played all of their games on road for awhile.
    - Since then she has gone 320-66 winning at an 83% clip
    - On flip side she inherited a nice situation at Transylvania. Greg Todd won three state titles as a HS coach before Transylvania. He left there for Morehead St where he had some success with three 20+ win seasons but his tenure was bookended by 2 double digit losing seasons and finished there at .500 with two NIT appearances. He is now the HC at EKU. Still Fulks took the program to another level.

Head coaching record
    Statistics overview
    Season   Team   Overall   Conference   Standing   Postseason
    Lewis & Clark Pioneers (Northwest Conference) (2004?2014)
    2004?05   Lewis & Clark   5?20   1?15   8th   
    2005?06   Lewis & Clark   12?12   8?8   5th   
    2006?07   Lewis & Clark   16?9   9?7   T?3rd   
    2007?08   Lewis & Clark   14?12   10?6   3rd   
    2008?09   Lewis & Clark   11?14   5?11   7th   
    2009?10   Lewis & Clark   16?10   10?6   T?3rd   
    2010?11   Lewis & Clark   31?7   14?2   T?1st   NCAA Division III First Round
    2011?12   Lewis & Clark   24?4   14?2   2nd   NCAA Division III Second Round
    2012?13   Lewis & Clark   25?4   14?2   1st   NCAA Division III Second Round
    2013?14   Lewis & Clark   13?12   8?8   5th   
    Lewis & Clark:   158?104   93?67   

Transylvania Pioneers (Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference) (2014?2024)
    2014?15   Transylvania   25?3   18?0   1st   NCAA Division III First Round
    2015?16   Transylvania   19?8   14?4   T?2nd   
    2016?17   Transylvania   20?8   12?6   3rd   
    2017?18   Transylvania   21?6   15?3   2nd   
    2018?19   Transylvania   27?3   17?1   1st   NCAA Division III Regional Semifinals
    2019?20   Transylvania   25?3   17?1   T?1st   NCAA Division III First Round
    2020?21   Transylvania   14?6   0?0      
    2021?22   Transylvania   27?1   13?0   1st   NCAA Division III Elite Eight
    2022?23   Transylvania   33?0   18?0   1st   NCAA Division III Champions
    2023?24   Transylvania   31?1   18?0   1st   NCAA Division III Final Four
    Transylvania:   242?39   142?15   

Marshall Thundering Herd (Sun Belt Conference) (2024?present)
    2024?25   Marshall   0?0   0?0      
    Marshall:   0?0   0?0   
    Total:   400?143   

I watched their Natl Champ win. Tremendously well coached. With a couple of exceptions they lacked ability to create own shot and score, size, and in spots lacked athleticism...which is kind of what you'd expect from D3. The team they beat was also undefeated and ran a full court press similar to KC's teams. They used up to 12 defenders in practice to work on beating the press...love it!

To me she needs to do a couple of things right away:
    - Try and convince some of the players in portal to remain as that will make her job much easier
    - Inquire to see if possible to get a couple of the players in portal from UK to come to MU.

UK Portal list:
    Jordy Griggs, 6?2, G, Fr. (0.8 ppg)
    Janae Walker, 6?4, F, Fr. (0.9 ppg)
    Zennia Thomas, 6?2, F, Soph. (2 ppg)
    Nyah Leveretter, 6?3, F, Sr. (2.5 ppg)

Two+ of the five below would be huge especially if one of top three and one of last two. May not be realistic but worth a shot
    Brooklynn Miles, 5?4, G, Jr. (5.8 ppg, 3 apg)
    Amiya Jenkins, 5?10, G, Soph. (7.5 ppg)
    Eniya Russell, 6?1, G, Sr. (10.1 ppg, 3.6 rpg)
    Maddie Scherr, 5?11, G, Sr. (12.5 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 3.4 apg)
    Ajae Petty, 6?3, F, Sr. (14.2 ppg, 10.6 rpg)
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, mu79grad, Collis P

Offline elginherd

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Our son was recruited by D2 and D3. He was much more impressed with the D3 coaches and what I noticed was they had to be more creative in their recruitment. Both, however, recruited well. While no athletic scholarships were available there were other scholarship opportunities offered. I have no worries about recruiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What people on here may not realize is that D2 pretty much only offers partial athletic scholarships in all sports.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, Collis P

Offline herdfan129

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What people on here may not realize is that D2 pretty much only offers partial athletic scholarships in all sports.

That?s not even close to true.

In football it is because the max is 36 full time scholarship equivalents, but that number is 12 in basketball. So D2 basketball players are on full rides.

Offline elginherd

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That?s not even close to true.

In football it is because the max is 36 full time scholarship equivalents, but that number is 12 in basketball. So D2 basketball players are on full rides.

Not to get into a rock fight, but I am correct.
    D2 allows for 10 full time equivalences, but it's usually divided among a roster of 15 players.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: Collis P

Offline Flat Tire 2

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not to get into a rock fight, but I am correct.
    D2 allows for 10 full time equivalences, but it's usually divided among a roster of 15 players.

Correct.
    "Division 1 college coaches offer headcount scholarships, meaning each player gets a full ride. NCAA Division 2, NAIA and JUCO programs, on the other hand, award equivalency scholarships. Coaches at these levels have a pool of athletic aid and they can distribute it to as many athletes as they want, so student-athletes could get partial scholarships. And while Division 3 college coaches can?t offer athletic scholarships, they still provide appealing financial packages that can cover a bulk of college costs."

There is a chart stating 10 scholarships for D2 at the below link where the above information was found.
         https://www.ncsasports.org/mens-basket.ball/scholarships   

The following users thanked this post: Collis P

Offline herdfan129

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not to get into a rock fight, but I am correct.

Just like D1. They have walk on players. Most D2 basketball players are on a full ride. Most D2 football players are on some sort of partial scholarship (athletically).

Offline MUonium

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • i hope we strike gold again with coach Fulks. 

i like the PhD in leadership but i seem to recall a mens coach who had a psychology degree or similar.  that one didn't turn out well although he was generally, liked at first

The following users thanked this post: HerdEcon

HerdFans.com