Author Topic: QB Competition vs Offensive Scheme  (Read 1463 times)

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
  • Head Coach
  • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
Re: QB Competition vs Offensive Scheme
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2024, 11:03:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would like to point out over the last 2 years probably a dozen people, some of them players, said that Pennington was killing it as the scout team QB and in practice, that he was by far the best QB on the team.  Pennington was smart, efficient and had a good touch on the ball and then?

We saw him play and his play was terrible and completely ineffective and we saw it again and again.

Cole sounds like an athlete that really excels in practice and those players do exist.  They can overcome the practice/real game performance gap, but likely games will have to be sacrificed.

I have heard over and over he?s super smart so maybe he?s figured out our secondary players and defensive schemes, so that and the comfort of being home and especially the comfort of wearing a red jersey allows him to kill it in practice? 

« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 11:16:21 PM by Johnnyherd »

The following users thanked this post: Johns1124

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2024, 11:03:34 PM »

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2024, 07:51:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Id day Penny2 is better now than anytime last year.  He will backup this year and start jr year.  I wouldn?t give up on him yet.  Still young in playing years left. 

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline MUonium

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2024, 09:06:54 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Id day Penny2 is better now than anytime last year.  He will backup this year and start jr year.  I wouldn?t give up on him yet.  Still young in playing years left.

some on here have said it all along.  it does make perfect sense to slowly nurture a legacy's son.  hopefully he will noticeably show development every year as an upperclassman.

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline Herdiowa

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2024, 09:49:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well after last year when everyone including myself ragged on Fancher and wanted Pennington to get a shot and he did get a shot.  Obvious that Fancher was better just playing hurt.  So I will trust who the coaches think is the best QB. 

Offline MUther

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2024, 12:51:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think you under estimate some people stupidity

Actually, I think he had a pretty good bead on you.

The following users thanked this post: wasbarryb

Offline marshallz13

« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2024, 12:55:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Obviously we know nothing right now but it's truly a weird QB competition in my mind.

Griffis who I think most will argue is the most developed and battle tested won't be here until summer so that does concern me for chemistry reasons.

Braxton Obviously has the most athleticism and in my opinion Cole was kind of tossed to the wolves last season as our pass blocking wasn't ideal. (Granted he was holding on to the ball too long)

If I had to wager a guess I'd say Griffis comes out as the starter. Although I'm uneasy heading in to the 2024 season which is a place I'd rather not be for the most important position on the field.

The following users thanked this post: HerdEcon

Offline hookem herd

• All American
    • Member Since 01/2010
    « Reply #31 on: April 12, 2024, 12:58:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • With offensive line that we had last year, Chad and Byron would have had problems. This is my biggest concern this year.
    « Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 04:25:42 PM by hookem herd »

Greg Adkins

The following users thanked this post: HerdEcon, HerdFan1114, MicDrass1

Offline elginherd

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2024, 12:59:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well after last year when everyone including myself ragged on Fancher and wanted Pennington to get a shot and he did get a shot.  Obvious that Fancher was better just playing hurt.  So I will trust who the coaches think is the best QB.

You and many others were in disbelief that the options at QB were so bad that Fancher could actually be the best option.

In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline herdfan48

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2024, 11:19:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No offense and I don't mean this as a dig at Cole but IMO he was absolutely dreadful last season.  Yes he lacks experience but he's been in the program for 3 years now.  I saw nothing from him to give me hope that "he's the guy".  I'm no Coach Fluff fan but I can see why he is looking for other options.  Cole lacks footspeed, has below average pocket awareness and he holds on to the ball way too long.  I will say his receivers certainly didn't do him any favors so possibly with an improved WR room, Cole has made progress.  I hope so.  I'd love for him to develop into a solid QB......just saw no evidence of it last year.
    Last year was an offense that wasn't geared toward Cole's strengths at all. Cole is more of a pocket passer like his Dad. The offense last year was geared for a running qb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2024, 01:40:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Last year offensive design was for Fancher not pennington.  A good OC could scheme an offense to be successful with Pennington. 

Offline Johnnyherd

• Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #35 on: April 14, 2024, 04:11:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Last year offensive design was for Fancher not pennington.  A good OC could scheme an offense to be successful with Pennington.

We really didn?t protect the passer very well.  The combination of Cam being an athlete and throwing sub 5 yard passes hid much of our pass protection problems. 

The following users thanked this post: HerdEcon

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2024, 07:41:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We really didn?t protect the passer very well.  The combination of Cam being an athlete and throwing sub 5 yard passes hid much of our pass protection problems.

Didn?t hide much.  Obvious every snap

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2024, 07:41:19 PM »