Author Topic: QB Competition vs Offensive Scheme  (Read 1460 times)

Offline HerdEcon

QB Competition vs Offensive Scheme
« on: April 10, 2024, 11:15:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It's the football off season, I was looking for football related info and decided to look at our QB position.  We have 3 QB that I think most people put at the top of the list of prospective starters:  Cole Pennington, Braylon Braxton, and Mitch Griffis.

In 2023, Braxton struggled completing passes with a 44% completion percentage on 50 attempts in 6 games, his long was 37 yards.  He ended the season with an espn qb rating of 68.8 and a qbr of 15.9.  Braxton was a better running qb he averaged 4.3 yards per rush with a long of 46 yards on 40 carries.

Griffis completed 59.9% of his passes on 207 attempts in 9 games.  He ended the season with an espn qb rating of 130.5 and a qbr of 35.5.  His long was 69 yards.  He rushed for an average of 1.2 yards on 106 attempts, his long was 27 yards.

Pennington completed 57.1% of his passes on 112 attempts in 4 games.  He ended the season with an espn qb rating of 98.6 and a qbr of 14.9.  His long pass was 65 yards.  He rushed for an average of -4.6 yards on 15 attempts, his long was 6 yards.

Griffis faced the stiffer competition facing Clemson, FSU, VT, Duke, NCSU, and GT among others.  Looking at our new air raid scheme Pennington and Griffis would give us more of a drop back pocket passer look (think Texas Tech) while Braxton would give us more of a running threat qb spread offense look (think a less talented Pat White).  If Braxton can read what the defense is giving him and complete the short passes at a high % he could be the starter we see in the fall.  His biggest question would be whether he can stretch the field and complete the medium and long range passes to force the defense to cover the entire field which is a cornerstone of the air raid offense. 

I would put Pennington and Griffis in the same category.  More traditional air raid offense qbs that can hit passes at a higher % all over the field.  Defenses would be forced to defend the entire field.  Griffis has the edge with the higher completion %, espn qb rating, and qbr.  Neither have the rushing ability that Braxton has and rely more on the ability of the OL and WR. 

If historical performance is the best indicator of future success then Griffis has the advantage.  Griffis and Braxton both had better stats in the 2022 season, but I used only the 2023 season since Pennington only had meaningful stats in the '03 season.  None of the qbs put up impressive passing stats in '03.  I think that will change in the air raid offense with the emphasis being on the qb recognizing what the defense is giving him and throwing mostly short high % passes that rely on the wrs speed and athletic ability to make big plays.  Huff recruited 2 wrs off the top of my head that should add speed to our wr unit.

Your thoughts on our qb room or starting qb?
    « Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 02:09:41 PM by HerdEcon »

The following users thanked this post: W0lfman, Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, marshallz13

HerdFans.com

QB Competition vs Offensive Scheme
    « on: April 10, 2024, 11:15:22 PM »

Offline banker

Re: QB Competition vs Offensive Scheme
    « Reply #1 on: April 10, 2024, 11:39:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would say if Griffis was already here he would have the strong upper hand. Best passer of the three. Since he isn?t here for spring ball it will depend on how he picks things up.  I don?t think Braxton is the guy, just doesn?t throw well enough based on film I?ve seen.   Pennington has potential if he got some things fixed in the off-season. Don?t know that just because of the lack of access to practice.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, HerdEcon

Offline s1uggo

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2024, 08:28:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Word on the street from practice is, Cole is as good as anyone but Huff doesn?t want him to have the job.

Offline svherd

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2024, 08:41:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Word on the street from practice is, Cole is as good as anyone but Huff doesn?t want him to have the job.

Pure garbage. Yeah, the HC doesn't want the best player to play. This isn't Barboursville Midget League or daddy ball. Anyone that looks at film can see that Griffis is the best QB at this point. He has the experience and maturity. Cole will get his time for sure. Number 2 this year and starter for Junior/Senior years. JMHO.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline BigJimslade

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2024, 08:43:00 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We are very very weak at QB
    Those are my thoughts

The following users thanked this post: Johns1124, HerdEcon, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline herd1990

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2024, 08:45:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

No offense and I don't mean this as a dig at Cole but IMO he was absolutely dreadful last season.  Yes he lacks experience but he's been in the program for 3 years now.  I saw nothing from him to give me hope that "he's the guy".  I'm no Coach Fluff fan but I can see why he is looking for other options.  Cole lacks footspeed, has below average pocket awareness and he holds on to the ball way too long.  I will say his receivers certainly didn't do him any favors so possibly with an improved WR room, Cole has made progress.  I hope so.  I'd love for him to develop into a solid QB......just saw no evidence of it last year.

The following users thanked this post: herdtown, svherd, Johns1124, Collis P, MUonium, FilmJunky

Offline andy31

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2024, 08:51:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If I was to take a stab at how that room looks right now, I'd say Braxton has the highest ceiling based on raw ability but will need development, Griffis is probably the most ready to play right now, and Cole will be the third option. Re: Cole there is a reason we went out and brought in two transfer QBs with FBS starting experience.  Huff is not trying to be "proven right" or whatever some are claiming.  He wants to win football games.  He's coaching for his career this season.

The following users thanked this post: Johns1124, Flat Tire 2

Offline MUonium

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2024, 09:40:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • i don't know if there are any decent QBs left in the portal (or after spring camps are over) but it wouldn't hurt to get another one in the room.

you can declare AIR RAID all you want, but it doesn't mean anything more than other offenses if you don't have a QB with a sharp mind, strong arm and sense enough to get the hell out of a burning bunker and take ground.  and an OL.  and TEs and WRs 

hope we've got some players who will finally give us an offense to compete in the SBC East and beyond.  not to take away the good wins Huff has had, but i mean on a more consistant basis as opposed to up and down all the time.
    « Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 09:54:10 AM by MUonium »

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Offline s1uggo

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2024, 02:11:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Pure garbage. Yeah, the HC doesn't want the best player to play. This isn't Barboursville Midget League or daddy ball. Anyone that looks at film can see that Griffis is the best QB at this point. He has the experience and maturity. Cole will get his time for sure. Number 2 this year and starter for Junior/Senior years. JMHO.
    You?re awful naive. Playing favorites happens at every level not just little league

The following users thanked this post: Lord Haw-Haw

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2024, 02:19:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

you should stay off the streets.  silly.
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: svherd, Flat Tire 2, herdorbust2

Offline svherd

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2024, 02:27:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You?re awful naive. Playing favorites happens at every level not just little league

I am not naive enough to believe our HC who is coaching for his HC career is dumb enough to play favorites and risk getting fired. I know you have a huge issue with Spears and Huff, and that's your deal, but i wouldn't believe what some buddy "insider' might say. That's being naive.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Johns1124, Flat Tire 2, THECHAMPISHERE, herdorbust2

Offline s1uggo

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2024, 03:14:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am not naive enough to believe our HC who is coaching for his HC career is dumb enough to play favorites and risk getting fired. I know you have a huge issue with Spears and Huff, and that's your deal, but i wouldn't believe what some buddy "insider' might say. That's being naive.
    again you are na?ve

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2024, 03:14:15 PM »

Offline svherd

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2024, 03:17:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • again you are na?ve

Yes, and there are black helicopters flying over the Schewey.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline elginherd

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2024, 03:40:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

And how would that be logical in HUff's mind?
    The only way that it could be is if Cole was only slightly less odorous that the rest of the room.

This coming season is very likely very pivotable in whether Coach Huff gains a foothold in making a career out of being a HFBC.
    It's in his interest that the best guy starts.

Politically, it'd be good for Huff if Cole WAS the best option.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: Lord Haw-Haw

Offline s1uggo

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2024, 04:04:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • And how would that be logical in HUff's mind?
    The only way that it could be is if Cole was only slightly less odorous that the rest of the room.

This coming season is very likely very pivotable in whether Coach Huff gains a foothold in making a career out of being a HFBC.
    It's in his interest that the best guy starts.

Politically, it'd be good for Huff if Cole WAS the best option.

yu would think that would be the way it works, unfortunately it doesnt sometimes.  some bow their back, and say by God if we are going to fired at least we will do my way! I'll pick the QB not the fans!

Offline Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #15 on: April 11, 2024, 04:11:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • yu would think that would be the way it works, unfortunately it doesnt sometimes.  some bow their back, and say by God if we are going to fired at least we will do my way! I'll pick the QB not the fans!

So be it if true

Fluff blows anyway

Put him out

The following users thanked this post: herd1990, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2024, 05:20:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • yu would think that would be the way it works, unfortunately it doesnt sometimes.  some bow their back, and say by God if we are going to fired at least we will do my way! I'll pick the QB not the fans!

well, the fans picked Cole last year and I saw him play.  I'd love for him to be the man and maybe he will someday, he wasn't ready last year AT ALL and if he's the guy this year he's improved tremendously.

but if you want to go with your theory, Huff bows his back and plays favorites with the QB position at the expense of his own success?  that's dumb enough on its face but the added bonus of more stupidity is he does it to arguably MU fans favorite son's son? 

No way Huff is that stupid or petty.  I think it's far more likely our fans are stupid (i've seen it for years myself included) and love a good rumor, even to the detriment of our own program or its players and staff.
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: herd1990, MUfan08, svherd, MUther

Offline BigJimslade

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2024, 05:24:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No offense and I don't mean this as a dig at Cole but IMO he was absolutely dreadful last season.  Yes he lacks experience but he's been in the program for 3 years now.  I saw nothing from him to give me hope that "he's the guy".  I'm no Coach Fluff fan but I can see why he is looking for other options.  Cole lacks footspeed, has below average pocket awareness and he holds on to the ball way too long.  I will say his receivers certainly didn't do him any favors so possibly with an improved WR room, Cole has made progress.  I hope so.  I'd love for him to develop into a solid QB......just saw no evidence of it last year.

Penny2.0

Offline s1uggo

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2024, 05:25:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • well, the fans picked Cole last year and I saw him play.  I'd love for him to be the man and maybe he will someday, he wasn't ready last year AT ALL and if he's the guy this year he's improved tremendously.

but if you want to go with your theory, Huff bows his back and plays favorites with the QB position at the expense of his own success?  that's dumb enough on its face but the added bonus of more stupidity is he does it to arguably MU fans favorite son's son? 

No way Huff is that stupid or petty.  I think it's far more likely our fans are stupid (i've seen it for years myself included) and love a good rumor, even to the detriment of our own program or its players and staff.

Have you seen the QB this spring

Offline s1uggo

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2024, 05:27:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • well, the fans picked Cole last year and I saw him play.  I'd love for him to be the man and maybe he will someday, he wasn't ready last year AT ALL and if he's the guy this year he's improved tremendously.

I think you under estimate some people stupidity

Offline MUfan08

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2024, 06:18:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Have you seen the QB this spring

Have you?

Offline s1uggo

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2024, 07:33:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Have you?
    no but somebody i know has, and thats his assement.  he would know

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2024, 07:33:41 PM »

Offline MUfan08

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2024, 07:41:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think it's far more likely our fans are stupid (i've seen it for years myself included) and love a good rumor, even to the detriment of our own program or its players and staff.

Good Ole 24, wonder if he is getting those trough urinals replaced this year.

Offline svherd

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2024, 07:46:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No one has seen Griffis yet. He was brought in to start. The Tulsa kid is raw, like Green or Fancher

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2024, 09:05:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Good Ole 24, wonder if he is getting those trough urinals replaced this year.
    Speaking of 24, UConn's win the other night reminds me that it's only been about 18 months and two NCAA titles since he told us UCONN irrelevant in basketball

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: svherd

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2024, 09:05:03 PM »