Author Topic: Herd baseball  (Read 424 times)

Offline herdly4

Herd baseball
« on: May 17, 2024, 10:59:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I went to the game on Thursday night and we must have hit 10 infield dribblers to second base. I didn?t hear the ping off the bat from our players that I heard from the CC players. We out hit them that night but we certainly have problems hitting when people are on base. We need big improvements.

HerdFans.com

Herd baseball
    « on: May 17, 2024, 10:59:29 PM »

Offline Grazing Marco

Re: Herd baseball
    « Reply #1 on: May 18, 2024, 09:22:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The lack of ping is just a result of different types of bats being manufactured these days. Some still have the loud ping, some don?t.

But yes, our offense has not been good this year aside from Harthan and Ayers. That?s mostly going to have to improve through recruiting. We have a couple of incoming freshman coming in from Florida that Perfect Game, a recruiting service, projects as top 10 round drafts picks in the future. One is an outfielder, Cooper Hinson, and one is a shortstop, Angel Velazquez. Hopefully they can provide an immediate impact.

We got Kaiser out of the portal this past season. He?s been decent. If we could get a couple more guys like him in the portal this year, it would lengthen the lineup for sure.

Pitching will need to be addressed as well. We return Blevins and Weyrich. Hopefully Griffin Miller takes a big step forward as he has potential.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, MU93, chris88

Offline coalherd

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2024, 07:15:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Article on HERD Zone on today's season ending game, and loss, to Coastal Carolina indicated that the Herd said goodbye to 17 seniors.  Hopefully, this fact frees up sufficient scholarship funds to allow the Coaching Staff to upgrade the team's overall TALENT which is obviously essential if we hope to be competitive in baseball in the SBC!!!

Offline MU93

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2024, 07:18:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am disappointed we didn?t make the postseason but they were close.  Add a few bats and a couple more arms and we?re there.   Which is the cool thing?. Once you?re into the post season,  if you have a solid set of starters you can make noise..

Hopefully we see improvement next year.   But this team scrapped all year, just not quite enough to pull out the tough ones.

Offline MUther

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2024, 08:33:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Fans of the top teams in conference that saw us play said we were a good team.  Said we had excellent pitching.  Needed depth and a little more "luck."  Bad bounces etc.

Offline s1uggo

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2024, 09:02:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So with these results, exactly why did they fire Jeff Wagner? Spears ego get in the way, again

Offline thunderingon

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2024, 09:41:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I really enjoyed the games this season. This stadium is a huge addition to Marshall athletics and brings with it an opportunity to advance baseball. SBC is a fun baseball conference. Starting pitching was solid but not deep?bullpen struggled. Owen Ayers was worth the price of admission. Very good offensive and defensive catcher.  Replacing 17 seniors is tough but also gives Beals the opportunity to completely flip the roster. He needs to keep Blevins, Miller, Havrilla and Harthan and build around them.  Looking forward to next year.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Online Thundering In MD

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2024, 10:29:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Finally made it to the Jack.  Great atmosphere and enjoyed seeing friends.
    Twitter:  @ThunderingInMD

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline Herdiowa

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2024, 10:36:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would go to the summer collegiate teams games this summer if I were you guys.  Pretty cool experience.  My son played for the Bismarck Larks in the Northwoods.  It?s good baseball.

Offline MUther

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2024, 11:52:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would go to the summer collegiate teams games this summer if I were you guys.  Pretty cool experience.  My son played for the Bismarck Larks in the Northwoods.  It?s good baseball.

You don't have a diamond in your cornfield?

HerdFans.com

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2024, 11:52:08 PM »