Author Topic: NHR - That's a team that wants to keep its coach...  (Read 697 times)

Offline wvmafia

NHR - That's a team that wants to keep its coach...
« on: April 05, 2011, 12:39:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Shaka Smart got an EIGHT YEAR DEAL worth $1,200,000 a year from VCU.  The link below is to ESPN's story...one of the message board for them says that the contract has a "remainder + $500,000" buyout.  If that is the case, that guy will not go anywhere and if he does, the program will be set up for MANY years to come.  They have a pretty good chunk coming to them over time from this run --- the Final Four for them and two other Sweet 16's for their conference = A LOT of "points"!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6290035

"When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows. And if you do that, if you do that, we cannot lose."

HerdFans.com

NHR - That's a team that wants to keep its coach...
    « on: April 05, 2011, 12:39:59 AM »

Offline mxman870

Re: NHR - That's a team that wants to keep its coach...
    « Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 06:47:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I really believe Tom can get us there too. The talent is out there for the picking and the passion he pours into his job is amazing.  :D

Offline mutink

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 09:08:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No way in hell anyone can get "it" done  here with the resources we provide.

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 09:30:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This has been a concern of mine: Our coaches' pay for basketball is not where it needs to be for us to be competitive in the market. We need to take it in steps, and the first step is to get the overall compensation package to over a half million, imo.

Offline lmckay92

• Rookie
    « Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 09:36:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This has been a concern of mine: Our coaches' pay for basketball is not where it needs to be for us to be competitive in the market. We need to take it in steps, and the first step is to get the overall compensation package to over a half million, imo.

Getting it UP to 50% of competitive wages is quite discouraging. Some things you cannot change. Small donors such as ourselves digging for more will help but sadly, it takes LARGE donors stepping forward to remain competitive. That is the concern. Don't see it happening to the levels a major hoops program requires.

Offline luvherd

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 10:59:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Interesting thing is if the NCAA leaves them out, very very close to happening, he doesn't get the raise. Life is made up of limited chances and when they happen you have to strike. He did quite well.
    MU Alum
    Big Green Member

Offline guru shudu moonday

• All American
    • Member Since 12/2009
    « Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 11:22:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • seems to me, a little quick to make that kind of commitment to smart......but i guess well find out in time.
    If your so damn smart, why ain't you rich?

Online svherd

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 01:50:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I disagree. We can make a run similar, maybe not to the final 4 but we can do something similar. Its much easier to do in B'ball. No one cared or knew much of Butler until last year - success breeds success.
    VCU had a senior laden team who won the CBI last year. They had great experience. We have the pieces in place if the kids want it bad enough.

As for the fans, season tix sales have climbed the last 3 years. BG donations are up, attendance is up and really climbed the latter half of the year.
    Its UP TO MU to take it to the next level. MU drives the ship, not the fans. If MU is proactive, the fans will be as well.
    But in the end, you gotta win to get, keep the enthusiasm and that in turn leads to more dollars from the fans.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline HerdKelly

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 02:31:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That is a WHOLE lot of money and years to guarantee to a guy who didn't even win his conference.  In fact, VCU finished fourth in its conference.  They beat 11, 6, 3, 7 and 1 to get to the final four.  Then lost to an 8 seed.

They had a great run in the tourney but was it a fluke or a reflection of long term success to come?  Don't know the answer but I wouldn't feel great about assuming it is the later and spending that much money.  I assume VCU isn't rolling in cash.

Online svherd

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 02:49:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm not 100% but I dont think VCU has a football program. If they do it must be 1AA or lower. Anyone know for sure?

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline herdfan429

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 03:04:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm not 100% but I dont think VCU has a football program. If they do it must be 1AA or lower. Anyone know for sure?
    No football at VCU

Offline kjh

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 03:25:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree to much to soon. I like the kid though. His salary for 2010-11 was 325k, lower than Heriron's. He must of had other offers or VCU is tired of losing good coaches. Same thing will happen here if we are successful next year and we need to step up. Go Herd

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 03:25:39 PM »

Offline wvmafia

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 07:30:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

VCU's basketball budget this year was $925,000 less than ours and Smart made less than Herrion.

It can be done.  VCU this year and Butler last year.  Basketball doesn't need to have the resources of football to be successful.

"When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows. And if you do that, if you do that, we cannot lose."

HerdFans.com

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 07:30:37 PM »