Author Topic: The Game After the Game  (Read 469 times)

Offline herdman22

The Game After the Game
« on: January 20, 2012, 01:13:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I kept reading this comment, and my thoughts on it are this:  We just played the game after the game.  There was no way the WVU game was going to equal the intensity and atmosphere of the UCF game.  There was just no way.  Everyone was sky high Saturday night before, during, and after the game.  That was not going to be matched, not even close.  So we have to roll around and step out of conference and play a game just a few nights later.  I don't care who the opponent was, it was going to be a let down from UCF. 

This year, I felt the WVU game just felt like an unneeded distraction.  I have been much more excited about UCF & SO Miss.  But, maybe it was good we played it when we did, got the let down out of the way and it didn't cost us a thing.  Would much rather have the let down out of conference then in.  We still have some huge and very tough games coming up (including the next two Saturdays at So Miss and at Memphis, plus at UCF looming just a few days later). 

So, the game after the game is passed.  Time to step back onto the conference stage and keep it rolling.  GO HERD!!!

HerdFans.com

The Game After the Game
    « on: January 20, 2012, 01:13:36 PM »

Offline rvntx

Re: The Game After the Game
    « Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 01:34:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Amen!

Offline MarshallGrad

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 01:54:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think this was how WVU fans called it after last years game.

I think that the "game after the game" phenomenon is mostly urban legend. There are games lost after games that were highly charged and games lost after boring dullard games. You generally lose because you either were outplayed, outhustled, outcoached, out-talented, or some combination thereof. We may have had several of those things going on.

Offline HerdKelly

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 02:09:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That is what happens when you have something else to play for.  In all honesty the WVU game has been the only thing left to play for most years.  This year both teams are in a similar situaiton.  There is alot more important things to play for than the Capitol Classic.  Like conference championships, NCAA tournament, NCAA tournament seeding, etc.

Online DallasGreen

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Practice Squad
    • Member Since 3/24/2014
    « Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 06:26:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  

Offline MarshallGrad

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 08:34:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Dallas, I think your original post stated the point well when you said "..this was Huggin's excuse last year after our win..". Excuse was the operative word and that is what it is when we try to apply it to us. We simply lost. We need to play well enough to not lose the rest of the way.

Online DallasGreen

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Practice Squad
    • Member Since 3/24/2014
    « Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 11:35:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Our win last year is the reason Huggins had his team ready this year.
    They were well prepared and he made sure they played to their potential this year.
    I think Huggins would admit that our team this year is better than last years Herd squad.
    WVU is good but not great. Should have been a better game than it was, but you have to give Huggins credit. We were going to have to beat them at their best this year.

Offline wvmafia

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 07:01:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The "game after THE game syndrome" exists at every level of sports!  Just experienced it.

"When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows. And if you do that, if you do that, we cannot lose."

Offline MarshallGrad

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 07:28:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The "game after THE game syndrome" exists at every level of sports!  Just experienced it.
    I think there are as many examples of teams winning an important, high energy game after just having played an important, high energy game. Happens in playoffs all the time, also throughout the season. We just don't focus on those becasue wins don't require labeled excuses and losses do.

Offline kyherd05

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 07:42:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We just don't focus on those becasue wins don't require labeled excuses and losses do.

This.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 07:42:54 PM »