Off Topic & Non Sports > "Tavern Off the Green" Sports Bar

Outside of politics, can we talk about music of the 60's, 70's and today...

(1/55) > >>

The E-Man:
Who remembers this song? Spiral Staircase, I love you more today, than yesterday..
This is a great song. When I first heard it as a very young kid, I loved it. I always thought the singer was a black dude..Not that white people can't sing, it's just this dude voice was soulful just like David Clayton Thomas of Blood, Sweat, & Tears. This song had great lyrics, " I thank the lord for love like ours that grows ever stronger And I always will be true I know you feel the same way too.. When was the last time you heard mentioning of the lord in a pop song?  I had a rapper give me his CD as a sample recently. He wanted my take on it and I gave it back to him. He ask me, why? I told him brother, it's not the music, but the lyrics they are filled with to much cussing for my ears. I'm so thankful and blessed to have grown up in an era where music had a real meaning.. What's your take on today's music? BTW, Check out this bad ass Russian band that has done a few covers of Earth, Wind & Fire, Chicago, and Blood, Sweat & Tears...

&list=RDDELjYiTUrIA&index=3

CoachSkip:
I believe it was Chris Rock that said todays R&B sucked , and I agree . With all the talented blcak singers out there , hip hop is whats popular , I DONT GET IT !!  I hope the day comes soon where talent is appreciated , white or black groups that can sing are so easy to listen to and can really set the mood.

GreenWhite:
I am a collector of music, mainly on vinyl. I agree that the music of today is not that good, at least to my ears. I think back to Aretha, Smokey, and many other vocalists and I just wonder where it went. I am looking at a bunch of 45's I purchased a couple of weeks ago and the artists bring back memories. And I agree with E-Man, More Today Than Yesterday is a great song.

pdunn:
These days you can't make it without overproduction coupled with sex appeal.  A good voice doesn't matter and neither do good looks.

The Stones, Janis Joplin and Bob Dylan would have no chance.  Having talent and a good song are secondary.

I listened to Harry Chapin's "Mr. Tanner" the other night.  Just a simple song with a simple message that many of us can relate to, and he had a lot of them.  I think he was one of the great nearly forgotten poets of popular music.  None of those guys would have a chance to become well known outside of National Public Radio these days.

So sad.  We need true poetry in our music again.  It is sad that our music too often is noise, and that the we call art too often is ugly.

Big Ol' Hillbilly:

--- Quote from: The E-Man on October 11, 2019, 04:04:02 PM ---Who remembers this song? Spiral Staircase, I love you more today, than yesterday..
This is a great song. When I first heard it as a very young kid, I loved it. I always thought the singer was a black dude..Not that white people can't sing, it's just this dude voice was soulful just like David Clayton Thomas of Blood, Sweat, & Tears.

--- End quote ---

Blue-Eyed soul... I was watching a documentary on the Allman Brothers Band and a guy was talking about how when the ABB first started putting stuff out, people would hear the music and they thought Gregg Allman was an older black man. They had no idea he was a 20 something long haired hippy.

E, you should watch the Ken Burns "Country Music" documentary on PBS. It's great. It talks a lot about how country music's roots is basically a big melting pot. They talk about how the banjo came from Africa with the slaves, the fiddle from the British isles, etc. He touched a lot on how music crossed the racial divide, even in the segregated south. It's a really cool documentary. I highly recommend it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version