Author Topic: Mikal Dawson to Marshall  (Read 4544 times)

Offline HerdFan1216

Re: Mikal Dawson to Marsh
« Reply #100 on: April 29, 2024, 09:06:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Crazy to think that the majority of this board expects better!  Your just happy that we have uniforms that doesn?t even rep our school colors.

There is a HUGE difference between expecting better and being downright negative regardless.  Our fan base can be absurd and ?get off our lawn? in almost any circumstance it seems.   You?re really going to try and argue about my opinion on our uniform selection!! Way to prove my point.  Who cares what alternate uni scheme we use?..everyone who bleeds Marshall knows what our colors are so the use of an alternate color scheme and using it to accent the end zones and the new court at the Henderson center is fine by me.  I love watching any Marshall team decked out in Kelly green and white, but it?s also a fresh look to have multiple combos to change it up sometimes.   The players love the black jerseys, helmet, etc so who am I to say otherwise.  Look at Oregon and what they have done with t their broad range of choices?..do you think their fan base flips out and tries to cause division amongst their fans if they tend to favor one that is not their primary colors?????   Not in the least do they care

The following users thanked this post: bighat, horsrman, gochneaur645

HerdFans.com

Re: Mikal Dawson to Marsh
    « Reply #100 on: April 29, 2024, 09:06:45 AM »

Online herdorbust2

Re: Mikal Dawson to Marshall
    « Reply #101 on: April 29, 2024, 09:26:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What do you care about?  You ask people to boycott.  You ask them not to give money.  So what do you care about?  Only to prove your right.

I care about winning and an administration that shows they expect it also. But some of you enjoy just grabbing the popcorn and showing up because it's Marshall. Just be glad we have a team and keep our head in the sand.

The following users thanked this post: wlf, miltonherdfan

Offline Haveyouherd222

« Reply #102 on: April 29, 2024, 09:53:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Guys, basketball recruiting is literally ALL ABOUT NIL!  Style doesn't matter.   Relationships don't matter.   Winning doesn't matter.  It's what can you pay me?   A kid may like MU, but he isn't going to sign right away because he's going to wait to see if he gets better monetary offers.   Now you can choose to think that's not the case, but it's absolutely reality.    All this Corny can't recruit BS.....throw it away.   JMU has a MUCH LARGER collective and NIL than we do.   Step up, donate to NIL.   That's the only way our recruiting in basketball is going to change.

The following users thanked this post: coryherdman69, horsrman, HoPPy785, HerdFan1216

Offline herd2win

« Reply #103 on: April 29, 2024, 10:01:42 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Guys, basketball recruiting is literally ALL ABOUT NIL!  Style doesn't matter.   Relationships don't matter.   Winning doesn't matter.  It's what can you pay me?   A kid may like MU, but he isn't going to sign right away because he's going to wait to see if he gets better monetary offers.   Now you can choose to think that's not the case, but it's absolutely reality.    All this Corny can't recruit BS.....throw it away.   JMU has a MUCH LARGER collective and NIL than we do.   Step up, donate to NIL.   That's the only way our recruiting in basketball is going to change.

As fans, we are tired of excuses.  Corny accepted and wanted the job and knew our NIL situation.  He is charged with winning games and he is going to be held to that.  We can work to raise funds but that will come with winning.  A new coach that was not associated with the program would have had more credibility in asking for NIL.

Many people are not going to throw money at basketball until we see competent leadership.

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan, herdorbust2

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #104 on: April 29, 2024, 10:13:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

To a point yes. But that is why you have to look under every rock. There are very good players in D2 and Juco that aren't going to get much money and are overlooked. How are we keeping Martin and Obinna with your theory? I'll guarantee we aren't giving them much and they could get more money elsewhere. Yes it takes money but that isn't all of it. Do you think FAU was giving more money than teams like Kentucky, UCONN, Duke, NC etc? Personally I think football is screwed but basketball just needs a handful of players.

Offline HoPPy785

« Reply #105 on: April 29, 2024, 10:57:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • To a point yes. But that is why you have to look under every rock. There are very good players in D2 and Juco that aren't going to get much money and are overlooked. How are we keeping Martin and Obinna with your theory? I'll guarantee we aren't giving them much and they could get more money elsewhere. Yes it takes money but that isn't all of it. Do you think FAU was giving more money than teams like Kentucky, UCONN, Duke, NC etc? Personally I think football is screwed but basketball just needs a handful of players.

Do I think FAU has more NIL money at their disposal than Duke or UCONN, no. Do I think they have significantly more than Marshall, yes. The name on the front of the jersey has less to do with it than the market they're in or alumni they have. Like I said in another post, be prepared to watch teams we used to look down on zoom right past us due to NIL.

I'd imagine we are keeping Oak and Martin in part because they're getting the max we can get for a basketball player (whatever that is). I agree with you that we have to find the hidden gems where we can be the highest bidder. What's the rush on that though? Go after the known quality players in the portal first. Throw your best offer and see what happens. If we can't get those guys then go after the more risky hidden gem guys. I believe we are in the wait and see if we got the highest bid stage right now.

Online svherd

« Reply #106 on: April 29, 2024, 11:03:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is exactly why I don't expect our men's program or the football program to be any better than average moving forward. NIL is sinking schools like ours. I am very hopeful it doesn't impact our minor sports as negatively as our big two. The minor sports have great potential. Jmho

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: HoPPy785, overherd1

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #107 on: April 29, 2024, 11:40:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Do I think FAU has more NIL money at their disposal than Duke or UCONN, no. Do I think they have significantly more than Marshall, yes. The name on the front of the jersey has less to do with it than the market they're in or alumni they have. Like I said in another post, be prepared to watch teams we used to look down on zoom right past us due to NIL.

I'd imagine we are keeping Oak and Martin in part because they're getting the max we can get for a basketball player (whatever that is). I agree with you that we have to find the hidden gems where we can be the highest bidder. What's the rush on that though? Go after the known quality players in the portal first. Throw your best offer and see what happens. If we can't get those guys then go after the more risky hidden gem guys. I believe we are in the wait and see if we got the highest bid stage right now.

You clearly didn't read what I said. I never once said we have more money than FAU. He said it's ""ALL"" about the NIL now. And I asked if FAU had more than NC, Duke, Kentucky etc,,,, so how did they manage to do better than those schools? Can we not compete with the ragtag SB conference schools? If not, the administration should just say so and people can move on with their lives without Marshall sports. But our administration doesn't seem to have the commitment that even other SB schools have when it comes to the top 2 sports.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #108 on: April 29, 2024, 11:54:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Interesting comments from UMASS about NIL in the link below. UMASS is helping out with "incidentals" and rent. The big schools are throwing  money at players, but most schools at Marshall's level don't seem to be taking this approach. Marshall basketball will never be recruiting against a Duke or UK. Huff has said that he uses the same approach for NIL, but some kids will always chase the money.

&t=50s

Offline HoPPy785

« Reply #109 on: April 29, 2024, 02:49:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• You clearly didn't read what I said. I never once said we have more money than FAU. He said it's ""ALL"" about the NIL now. And I asked if FAU had more than NC, Duke, Kentucky etc,,,, so how did they manage to do better than those schools? Can we not compete with the ragtag SB conference schools? If not, the administration should just say so and people can move on with their lives without Marshall sports. But our administration doesn't seem to have the commitment that even other SB schools have when it comes to the top 2 sports.

I clearly did read and agreed with you that they don't have more NIL money than the Dukes of the world. I even agreed we need to find hidden gems like you said. You just love picking fights so you took  it how you wanted, instead of seeing a post agreeing with you.

My point is they do have more than us though, so it's not a fair comparison to just keep throwing out well how did FAU do it. Marshall can afford a Civic, FAU can afford a Corvette and Duke can afford a Lambo. You have more of a chance racing your Corvette vs the Lambo with the right driver, but the Civic doesn't stand a chance no matter who is behind the wheel.

Online chris88

« Reply #110 on: April 29, 2024, 03:28:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I doubt FAu had more money before they went to Final Four. Hire a great coach should be step one. If you don't do that you won't win no matter what the NIL. And why should the school decide who gets the bribe money? Why not give the phone numbers out to boosters who want to participate and let them contact the "student athletes" and offer them the bribe directly.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

Offline HoPPy785

« Reply #111 on: April 29, 2024, 04:22:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I doubt FAu had more money before they went to Final Four. Hire a great coach should be step one. If you don't do that you won't win no matter what the NIL. And why should the school decide who gets the bribe money? Why not give the phone numbers out to boosters who want to participate and let them contact the "student athletes" and offer them the bribe directly.

In 2021 all 200 female athletes at FAU were offered a NIL deal by the Florida Panthers. They got free tickets, gear, and earning opportunities via social media. All 200 female athletes. This is an example of the types of partnerships a big market school has access to. If their women were getting deals from the NHL, do you still believe their men's program was getting less than ours back then?

HerdFans.com

« Reply #111 on: April 29, 2024, 04:22:09 PM »

Offline mubowhunter

« Reply #112 on: April 29, 2024, 05:55:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You just proved my point young man!  Just show up and grab your popcorn and cheer just to be cheering!  I don?t know you but can see through tinted glass.  You must live a boring life is all I?ve got to say.  Carry on with your 10-20 proud seasons and paste it to your a@@

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #113 on: April 29, 2024, 06:33:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  

Offline HoPPy785

« Reply #114 on: April 29, 2024, 07:03:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You just proved my point young man!  Just show up and grab your popcorn and cheer just to be cheering!  I don?t know you but can see through tinted glass.  You must live a boring life is all I?ve got to say.  Carry on with your 10-20 proud seasons and paste it to your a@@

I assume you're talking about me... The guy that wanted Dan gone two years ago, the guy that has been less than impressed with our recruiting for years, the guy that just a few posts ago said we need to find hidden gems if we can't win these bidding wars. Some of you are so extreme. Calling me an @ss and deciding on your own that I'm some Dan pumper, when you're not even right.

Sorry I live in reality and don't have my head in the sand thinking Marshall is flush with NIL money. I have no idea how me arguing that we have less NIL opportunities than big market schools means I want us to be bad at sports.

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #115 on: April 29, 2024, 07:51:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I clearly did read and agreed with you that they don't have more NIL money than the Dukes of the world. I even agreed we need to find hidden gems like you said. You just love picking fights so you took  it how you wanted, instead of seeing a post agreeing with you.

My point is they do have more than us though, so it's not a fair comparison to just keep throwing out well how did FAU do it. Marshall can afford a Civic, FAU can afford a Corvette and Duke can afford a Lambo. You have more of a chance racing your Corvette vs the Lambo with the right driver, but the Civic doesn't stand a chance no matter who is behind the wheel.

I like picking fights? You are the one that responded to my post and now continue responding to everyone else. You may have forgot but we used to own FAU year after year and most of the time embarrassed them. Dusty May even said when he got the job and spent his first day there that he thought he made a I've mistake. Said it was like a high school gym and he would have quit that first day if he hadn't been friends with the AD. But he didn't complain but rolled up his sleeves and went to work. Most of that money came after the final 4 run. The Marshall administration doesn't think that way. They always take the easy way and expect mediocrity. Build it and the fans and money will follow. This area starves for success and will pack arenas when it comes. But they are also tired of the half way effort that is always being produced. Look at the excitement woman's basketball brought and the huge uptick in attendance in just one year. And that was the woman. If the men played that same style and won 17 out of 18 in the SB they would be taking those tarps off or turning away a lot of fans. Heck a few years ago Huntington high sold out the cam for a game when they were good. This area will rock an arena if they bring it. But the leadership just isn't willing to make it happen and it's been proven for many years. And the leaders we have now are no different. If things don't change even the SB and the ragtag bunch in basketball will blow by us. And football is in much much worse shape because the SB is good in football. If you don't think there is any money in basketball then football may as well hang it up. Much easier bringing in 4-7 basketball players than 30-40 football players.

Offline HoPPy785

« Reply #116 on: April 29, 2024, 08:02:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• I like picking fights? You are the one that responded to my post and now continue responding to everyone else. You may have forgot but we used to own FAU year after year and most of the time embarrassed them. Dusty May even said when he got the job and spent his first day there that he thought he made a I've mistake. Said it was like a high school gym and he would have quit that first day if he hadn't been friends with the AD. But he didn't complain but rolled up his sleeves and went to work. Most of that money came after the final 4 run. The Marshall administration doesn't think that way. They always take the easy way and expect mediocrity. Build it and the fans and money will follow. This area starves for success and will pack arenas when it comes. But they are also tired of the half way effort that is always being produced. Look at the excitement woman's basketball brought and the huge uptick in attendance in just one year. And that was the woman. If the men played that same style and won 17 out of 18 in the SB they would be taking those tarps off or turning away a lot of fans. Heck a few years ago Huntington high sold out the cam for a game when they were good. This area will rock an arena if they bring it. But the leadership just isn't willing to make it happen and it's been proven for many years. And the leaders we have now are no different. If things don't change even the SB and the ragtag bunch in basketball will blow by us. And football is in much much worse shape because the SB is good in football. If you don't think there is any money in basketball then football may as well hang it up. Much easier bringing in 4-7 basketball players than 30-40 football players.

It's so odd that you argue so hard with people that are essentially agreeing with you.

Bust we both think we can do better, we both think there are hidden gems, we both think there are better coaches. We both are tired of being complacent. We just disagree on how much money we have at our disposal compared to other schools. Have your last word, I won't respond anymore.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #117 on: April 29, 2024, 08:15:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It's so odd that you argue so hard with people that are essentially agreeing with you.

Bust we both think we can do better, we both think there are hidden gems, we both think there are better coaches. We both are tired of being complacent. We just disagree on how much money we have at our disposal compared to other schools. Have your last word, I won't respond anymore.

Count my responses and count yours in this thread. But you are the victim lmao!!! You still never got the point. FAU was like a glamorized high school team and their own coach admitted it. They had about 800 at games. They played in a gym that WV schools play in. Everyone beat them like they owned them. Then one coach turned it around and went on a huge run and money started pouring in. I agree we aren't over running with cash. But if we would put more emphasis on basketball there would be a lot more money going into the program. And even the tarps would need to be removed. But it's easier to say" we can't do it" and settle for less. This area and Marshall had thought that way for years. And BTW I'm so sorry for making you feel like an attacked victim after you responded first to me and everyone else and then run claiming you are so innocent!!!

Online chris88

« Reply #118 on: April 29, 2024, 08:32:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In 2021 all 200 female athletes at FAU were offered a NIL deal by the Florida Panthers. They got free tickets, gear, and earning opportunities via social media. All 200 female athletes. This is an example of the types of partnerships a big market school has access to. If their women were getting deals from the NHL, do you still believe their men's program was getting less than ours back then?

True you're never going to compete with that but that would seem to be rare considering only about 30 teams per pro league.  Still comes down to the HC imo. Once Lane Kiffen left their FB was not same and I would doubt their BB will be same after coach left but can't argue they will be in a better position to hire the right coach. If all the G5 NIL in world can't help keep top notch coach, your days on top are numbered.

I've never seen any info about their NIL before they went to Final Four. Do you have it?
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: HoPPy785

Offline MUonium

« Reply #119 on: April 29, 2024, 08:36:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • getting annoying again

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #120 on: April 29, 2024, 08:39:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • True you're never going to compete with that but that would seem to be rare considering only about 30 teams per pro league.  Still comes down to the HC imo. Once Lane Kiffen left their FB was not same and I would doubt their BB will be same after coach left but can't argue they will be in a better position to hire the right coach. If all the G5 NIL in world can't help keep top notch coach, your days on top are numbered.

I've never seen any info about their NIL before they went to Final Four. Do you have it?

Here you go. Just like I said!!!
    https://www.wptv.com/sports/college-sports/florida-atlantic-university/fau-basketball-players-accumulate-nil-deals-after-program-success#:~:text=The%20FAU%20men's%20basketball%20program,court%20and%20in%20financial%20literacy.

The following users thanked this post: chris88

Online chris88

« Reply #121 on: April 30, 2024, 09:22:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Here you go. Just like I said!!!
    https://www.wptv.com/sports/college-sports/florida-atlantic-university/fau-basketball-players-accumulate-nil-deals-after-program-success#:~:text=The%20FAU%20men's%20basketball%20program,court%20and%20in%20financial%20literacy.

So it's true that they had minimal NIL money before Final Four:

"The FAU men's basketball program finished with a 19-15 record in 2022 and saw minimal NIL dollars throughout the program.

But after last spring's Final Four run, the Owls have seen NIL dollars impact the program, causing May to coach his team on the court and in financial literacy...."

Also, if true, I didn't know it was illegal to use NIL in recruiting:

"While the NCAA's guidelines say using potential name, image and likeness earnings to recruit kids to colleges is illegal, May said he knows recruits look at their possible earnings."

"We don't sell it a lot in recruiting, and if that's one of the first questions, we say this is probably not the right place for you," May said. "We think our entire roster is taken care of very well. We want recruits to come to this program because they think they will be developed into well-rounded young men and succeed on the court. Those results will be a by-product of how we do everything else."

I see nothing wrong with this approach. They aren't bribing kids to come or to stay but helping them maximize their opportunities. Seems to me the key is still getting the right coach. My opinion

The following users thanked this post: svherd, herdorbust2

HerdFans.com

« Reply #121 on: April 30, 2024, 09:22:32 AM »

Offline herdloyal

« Reply #122 on: April 30, 2024, 10:29:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Question: can the accountants on here put a spreadsheet together of just what a basic scholarship financial break down looks like. What is the average NIL scale looking like nationally also if that info is available? This information would give us a baseline for funds needed and projection for the future. Lot of us are just not aware of the cost of getting education as I graduated in 1980 and making a living. What am I looking at financially the cost associated with the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ that I may want to put in Trust to invest for NIL at Marshall? Let?s see the numbers AI forecast to elevate our beloved University in sport?s Status. Got to be some genius here? Let?s get to work and become tireless at it and build that legacy now.

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #123 on: April 30, 2024, 10:42:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So it's true that they had minimal NIL money before Final Four:

"The FAU men's basketball program finished with a 19-15 record in 2022 and saw minimal NIL dollars throughout the program.

But after last spring's Final Four run, the Owls have seen NIL dollars impact the program, causing May to coach his team on the court and in financial literacy...."

Also, if true, I didn't know it was illegal to use NIL in recruiting:

"While the NCAA's guidelines say using potential name, image and likeness earnings to recruit kids to colleges is illegal, May said he knows recruits look at their possible earnings."

"We don't sell it a lot in recruiting, and if that's one of the first questions, we say this is probably not the right place for you," May said. "We think our entire roster is taken care of very well. We want recruits to come to this program because they think they will be developed into well-rounded young men and succeed on the court. Those results will be a by-product of how we do everything else."

I see nothing wrong with this approach. They aren't bribing kids to come or to stay but helping them maximize their opportunities. Seems to me the key is still getting the right coach. My opinion

Yes they had very little before that run. People keep using NIL as an excuse. The money will come just like more fans if you put forth the product. FAU was a trash heap before Dusty May. Horrible Gym, no fans (actually we used to mock them for playing in a high school gym in front of a few hundred fans). Nobody cared about FAU basketball down there. Then the run and everything changed. But poor ole Marshall that already has a great fanbase for a G5 and a much bigger and better arena just can't compete. Please!!!

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, chris88, Flat Tire 2, miltonherdfan, coalherd

Offline jdonaccbus

« Reply #124 on: April 30, 2024, 02:43:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It seems to me that Coastal Carolina is signing some real nice players under their new head coach and his impressive staff.

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

HerdFans.com

« Reply #124 on: April 30, 2024, 02:43:04 PM »