Author Topic: Bennett and Watson  (Read 2951 times)

Offline herdorbust

Re: Bennett and Watson
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2017, 10:12:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We are several years into DD being our coach....it is not a wait till next year scenario.  It is time for no excuses and this team needs to win.  Much easier to find 5 guys then to find 50 guys like football has to.

Really? DD has improved every year he has been here, doing it with great young men and not causing trouble at every turn. And he will continue to improve. This year can be a very good year. But everyone with a brain knows next year is the year that special things can happen. At least DD's program has been getting better EVERY year and hasn't taken a total nosedive. The one thing about DD is he developes talent. That is the fun thing about watching his practices. He doesn't have to get the elite to beat you. He can get good players and make them very good players. This years class with George, Bennett, Koljanin, West and Robinette was phenomenal. I cant wait to see these guys after they have been in the system for a while. Nothing has changed with the program....it's onward and upward. And I couldn't be more excited.
    « Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 11:00:18 AM by herdorbust »

The following users thanked this post: lovetheherd2, goherd73, parshall2marshall, Herdmeister, wasbarryb, horsrman, chris88

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2017, 10:12:15 AM »

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2017, 10:51:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]4
  • its a stretch tho to act like DD has accomplished much more than Doc who won a championship soon after getting his own players. We can only hope DD doesn't have a real bad yr but he hasn't been aboard near as long as DOC who has won double digits three times with a Bowl win at the end of all three of those. Completely support DD and agree its looking good but he hasn't got close to a tourney birth yet. When FB fans say wait till next yr they get the raspberry but that's what you just said about BB like an early apology for this yr.

Online chris88

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2017, 11:02:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We are several years into DD being our coach....it is not a wait till next year scenario.  It is time for no excuses and this team needs to win.  Much easier to find 5 guys then to find 50 guys like football has to.

We have won more games each year he has been here and played for conf tourney champ last year.  Due to roster, year 1 shouldn't even count.  Two yrs ago we finished in top 4 and advanced in conf tourney.  Last year we won 3 tourney games and played for NCAA bid + won 20 games...so it isn't like DD's teams have been underperforming. Even if we take a little step back this year, most people see the chance at a big leap forward the in 2018-2019.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2017, 11:06:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • its a stretch tho to act like DD has accomplished much more than Doc who won a championship soon after getting his own players. We can only hope DD doesn't have a real bad yr but he hasn't been aboard near as long as DOC who has won double digits three times with a Bowl win at the end of all three of those. Completely support DD and agree its looking good but he hasn't got close to a tourney birth yet. When FB fans say wait till next yr they get the raspberry but that's what you just said about BB like an early apology for this yr.

Couple things wrong with your post. You said he hasn't got close to a tourney birth? Really? He was a few points from going last year. Remember we were in the CUSA championship game. And you say i'm apologizing for this coming year. Can you please show me where I said that? I said things were moving along just fine and they could be very good. And Marshall could have played in the CBI or CIT (the equivalent to the bowl games we go to, but they decided against it.
    « Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 11:27:36 AM by herdorbust »

The following users thanked this post: wasbarryb

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2017, 11:16:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We have won more games each year he has been here and played for conf tourney champ last year.  Due to roster, year 1 shouldn't even count.  Two yrs ago we finished in top 4 and advanced in conf tourney.  Last year we won 3 tourney games and played for NCAA bid + won 20 games...so it isn't like DD's teams have been underperforming. Even if we take a little step back this year, most people see the chance at a big leap forward the in 2018-2019.

Yes DD pretty much started from scratch. He had what Taylor and a walkon-loop? He ran off Canty, Thomas and Goard. Tell me how many coaches would have run off 3 of the top 4 players? He knew what he wanted and he knew it would take some time going that route. Yes he could have brought in talent the way Herrion did. Pittman, Canty, Thomas, Goard, and the slew of others that never even dressed. But how did that work out? DD wants guys with their head on straight and has a potential skill set. He will develop the rest of their game. Prime example is Milovic. I can remember like it was yesterday, Milovics first preseason. He couldn't even dunk. He was beyond a project. Now he will never be a great player, but he is light years ahead of where he was that first year. And the kid is the hardest worker I have ever seen. If everyone worked like he does you would never have to motivate. He is now a guy that can actually give you some quality minutes. That rubs off on other players.

Offline Herdalum83

« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2017, 11:17:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I could personally NEVER blame someone other than the kid themselves for them not being eligible, never.  Come on folks, where is the accountability.  It's seems it's always "someone screwed up".  Well, how about the individual did not take enough care of their own condition to ensure all was in order.

Because they trust academic advisors and others to put them on the right path. If you go in and are given a schedule by those in authority why would you second guess it? I think most would just assume they know what is needed and necessary and trust the information they've been given.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, Collis P

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2017, 11:31:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Stand by my post tho ..don't think we that close to MT last yr. And FB fans already saying that 2018 will be much better than this yr. Same deal...diff sport.

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust

Online svherd

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2017, 11:38:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Gotta keep Elmore on board for 2018-19 if we want to take that leap. I hope we can!

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2017, 11:40:25 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • You made a couple false statements about my post. Where again did I apologize for this coming season? Never said anything close to that. And you say we weren't close to the Tournament? We were in the championship game regardless of your opinion. We have got better every year under DD and that is a fact. But please show me where I was apologizing for the upcoming season? You can stand by your post all day but that doesn't make it correct.

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2017, 11:47:20 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • The big difference I see is we had a great brand and image in FB with reasonable expectations to always be a top 5-10 G5 program, especially after $30 million investment in IAF and increased staff salaries.  Doc managed to take that and makes us bottom of horrible league.  DD is moving slow but last season was in line with some of our better seasons of last 30 years
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, HerdHead, Collis P, chris88, Herdalum83, herdorbust

Offline MUonium

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2017, 12:05:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Really? DD has improved every year he has been her, doing it with great young men and not causing trouble at every turn. And he will continue to improve. This year can be a very good year. But everyone with a brain knows next year is the year that special things can happen. At least DD's program has been getting better EVERY year and hasn't taken a total nosedive. The one thing about DD is he developes talent. That is the fun thing about watching his practices. He doesn't have to get the elite to beat you. He can get good players and make them very good players. This years class with George, Bennett, Koljanin, West and Robinette was phenomenal. I cant wait to see this guys after they have been in the system for a while. Nothing has changed with the program....it's onward and upward. And I couldn't be more excited.
    i fall somewhere in the middle.  first, i think technically, we're a few yrs in instead of several.   we have improved incrementally yr to yr but i also don't care for "wait till next year" talk and except for graduation/NBA departures i don't like too much turnover (hissy fit :) )...we're not UK.  i was hoping for more stability at this point in the program.  ineligibility problems just rub me the wrong way but i don't expect miracles!   while i respect perspectives and enthusiasm and sincerely appreciate reports from practices, i have no choice but to temper my hopes until i've seen OOC games.   speaking of early season, during the feeling out process, chemistry of lineups, the 6th man on down, i want to see us win more of those games, especially road games, thus a reason for "a full bench of schollies to choose from" is one of the keys to a better team.  none of this yrs(2016-17) class has been in a real D1 game.   i do believe in DD developing players, but the real test is this year, here and now with players like Theineman, Bledsoe, Penava, Burks, Watson and it can only be seen in game situations where the stakes are real.   as far as next yr, you just never know who will still be here (Elmore), who won't and who will be added.   i don't expect any total nosedive this year but i expect a team that continues baby steps, that is at least as good as last yr.

Offline HerdHead

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2017, 03:44:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Prime example is Milovic. I can remember like it was yesterday, Milovics first preseason. He couldn't even dunk. He was beyond a project. Now he will never be a great player, but he is light years ahead of where he was that first year.

I admire Milovic's work ethic, and I certainly mean no dis-respect to him, but my first question has always been:  why even recruit a player who, at best, was "beyond a project"? 

I would have loved for DD to have the opportunity to coach up a player with more potential and more ability for the past 4 seasons.  Imagine what we'd have now!  It is especially burdensome now we have just 10 scholarship players.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, DC01HERD

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2017, 03:44:39 PM »

Offline iherdya

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2017, 03:47:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I admire Milovic's work ethic, and I certainly mean no dis-respect to him, but my first question has always been:  why even recruit a player who, at best, was "beyond a project"? 

I would have loved for DD to have the opportunity to coach up a player with more potential and more ability for the past 4 seasons.  Imagine what we'd have now!  It is especially burdensome now we have just 10 scholarship players.

because danny was hired at the end of april and the vast majority of kids had already signed at the time.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline HerdHead

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2017, 04:01:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Again, no disrespect, but DD could have gone to the rec center and found 5 kids better than Milan.

The following users thanked this post: DC01HERD, Herdalum83

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2017, 04:27:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • When Doc took over I feel the 90s were long gone and forgotten and the 5 previous yrs of no winning seasons a more fresh thingy. Whatever he accomplished he did it on his own after he got his own guys. Agree about the facilities and last yrs fiasco. Like everyone else I want to see a new beginning in FB. I talked to a life long friend today who saw Byrd and Greer play once upon a time in the east. He's had season tickets for roundball as long as I can remember. He feels DD is in for a tough yr due to no inside guys esp on D. But I hope we win CUSA in both sports. And realize that this yr BB has a better chance than FB......maybe.

Offline iherdya

« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2017, 04:28:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Again, no disrespect, but DD could have gone to the rec center and found 5 kids better than Milan.

that's a bit of hyperbole. if the kids were remotely good enough to play d1 basketball they would be somewhere playing, not the rec. i mean jon played rec basketball in his year sitting out and had a game where he scored over 100 points, in like 15 minutes halves with a running clock. it's an entirely different level.

Offline HerdHead

« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2017, 05:03:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Since I failed at portraying my previous post as (at least partially) a joke, I will say DD could have driven 5 minutes in one direction or 25 minutes in the other and ended up at Huntington Prep or Teays Valley Prep and taken the 10th man off their rosters. 

Instead, he traveled half-way around the world to get a guy with FAR less talent combined with a SUBSTANTIAL communication barrier.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2017, 05:21:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • And he still has made the herd better every year. I would lay money that none of us great coaches and recruiters on this board could have done better. I trust DD in what he is doing.

The following users thanked this post: wasbarryb

Offline herd2win

« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2017, 05:37:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • Why is it OK to kill Doc (and I have) but anytime anyone criticizes DD they get blasted...we have not accomplished anything yet in basketball and bb is a much easier sport to put together a team then football is...recruit two studs and some role players and you can win.

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2017, 05:52:22 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]-1
  • It's Just my opinion. But doc proved he could win when the best teams left cusa and the conference was gutted. He didn't win the 3 yrs before and now that the conference brought in wku, mtsu and a couple others it has collapsed again. Look at the timing of those 3 seasons and the jr and Sr laiden teams. Along with catching lightning in a bottle with cato and shuler. Before and after has been disastrous. And I have seen way to many things out of doc to make me shake my head. But that is just my opinion and I will be their cheering on the herd 9-2-17.
    « Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 05:54:54 PM by herdorbust »

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2017, 06:39:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He beat Maryland playing 25 miles from the Md campus after they had clobbered the qu-eers 35-zip. The very next yr the Terps beat Mich..won 7 in the Big and went to a Bowl.

He destroyed NIU that had ruled the MAC for several straight yrs and were a coupla removed from an Orange Bowl appearance.

U Connwas mediocre but so were we but won vs the only team that yr to beat ?..Hoston I think.

He ran ECU outa Cabell Co their last yr in CUSA when it meant a lot to the fans.

The Cato yrs esp the last two were real and Doc gets the credit just as the blame for last yr but you and others have a hard time telling it like it was.

Offline DC01HERD

« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2017, 06:52:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • To have 10 scholarship players in year 4 is not good. There are legit questions about where this program is going. If we want to make national noise its going to come from basketball. The football ship has sailed. We really should direct more funds to basketball.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdorbust

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2017, 06:52:47 PM »

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2017, 06:53:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Like I said it's just my opinion. We will see how he does this year with one of the weakest schedule in all of d1. Hopefully he can get it done. Ill be there cheering them on against miami.

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2017, 07:19:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • Ranked twice in top 25 is as much noise as we are ever gonna make.. cant do it every yr at po dunk city with sub par fundind and state support.

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2017, 08:08:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am curious why Wilson was suspended from the team before he left Wake Forest to transfer to The Herd? Anyone know the details? The article says he was suspended to "departmental rules", maybe it was academic related? You have to attend class if you attend WFU.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/10/31/wake-forest-basketball-cornelius-hudson-rondale-watson-suspended
    « Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 08:14:00 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

HerdFans.com

« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2017, 08:08:58 PM »