Author Topic: On-field leadership will be crucial for Herd in 2017  (Read 1573 times)

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
  • Franchise Owner
  • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
On-field leadership will be crucial for Herd in 2017
« on: July 23, 2017, 08:28:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    One aspect that will be crucial for the Thundering Herd in 2017 - and that could be argued as lacking in 2016 - is on-field leadership from the players.

Last season, Marshall had 13 seniors on its roster, but the on-field impact of those seniors was not felt as much as in previous years, and the Herd stumbled to a 3-9 record.

Some players did not live up to expectations. Others, such as offensive linemen Clint Van Horn and Michael Selby, were limited by injuries, which curbed their ability to lead on the field.

Holliday has always said the mark of a good program is having seniors play their best football in their final year; the focal point in the offseason was creating that atmosphere once again.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/marshall_sports/on-field-leadership-will-be-crucial-for-herd-in/article_eb3f4fad-ca6b-5860-a5b9-6d577ea82c2b.html

HerdFans.com

On-field leadership will be crucial for Herd in 2017
    « on: July 23, 2017, 08:28:45 AM »

Offline chris88

Re: On-field leadership will be crucial for Herd in 2017
    « Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 11:02:49 AM »
  • [Like]3
  • [Dislike]0
  • To that point, I think MU players should vote on permanent captains for season.  Have 3-4 and then you can always add a game captain for someone leading by example.  This way the players know who to go to and the captains know what is expected of them. So even if you have a quieter guy he knows it is his responsibility to establish the culture....and being a year long captain he has, in effect, been given that authority.  Just my opinion
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: lovetheherd2, scherd, Big City, MUinDE, biggreenarms, ed swain, The E-Man

Offline whf

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 11:45:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I see pros and cons to the perminent Captains.  One positive is that players know that a one game performance doesn't make a leader/captain.  That could be a good thing.  Ups and downs happen. 

Yet being recognized for a great single performance does not a leader make.  But sharing recognition as a leader does have it's benefits; gets more people involved.

For me, I'd have the following Captains selections; and make it known the week before the first game:

Offensive Skill Players
    Offensive Line Players
    Defensive Line Players
    Defensive Skill Players
    Special Teams Players

Additionally, I wouldn't necessarily make my captain selections based on being a starter, or non-starter.  Leades can come from anywhere...

Just my thoughts.

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 12:25:05 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]1
  • I see pros and cons to the perminent Captains.  One positive is that players know that a one game performance doesn't make a leader/captain.  That could be a good thing.  Ups and downs happen. 

Yet being recognized for a great single performance does not a leader make.  But sharing recognition as a leader does have it's benefits; gets more people involved.

For me, I'd have the following Captains selections; and make it known the week before the first game:

Offensive Skill Players
    Offensive Line Players
    Defensive Line Players
    Defensive Skill Players
    Special Teams Players

Additionally, I wouldn't necessarily make my captain selections based on being a starter, or non-starter.  Leades can come from anywhere...

Just my thoughts.

What you said makes a lot of sense, the problem is ( we have bee losing with this system). Sad to say only ( One conference championship under Doc's leadership).

The following users thanked this post: MUinDE

Offline whf

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 12:34:59 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • E, I'm recommendinq quite a change to the current system; make a decision before game one and stick to it.

By the way, you are correct with the number of championships in C-USA, but while it doesn't deminish your comment, there are a lot of teams in our conference who would love to have that "just one". 

We'll get more too IMHO.  We'll stay ahead of this conference; maybe not with Doc; but I do believe that with Hamrick.  I know a lot of folks don't like him, I'm not his biggest personality fan either. But I do believe he'll make the things necessary for MU to stay a leader in the conference happen.  We will have to step up and help lead too; with support and money...as we always have.

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 01:04:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I keep hearing how Doc turned over every stone in the football program to correct what went wrong last year. This article states that again. So my question is this? Did he not find anything that caused the complete disaster last year (the worst football team we have put on the field since Stan Parrish took over)? There were no coaching moves that meant anything. I don't see anything that was corrected except trying to "say" the right things. If i'm missing something could someone correct me and show me what i'm missing?

Offline svherd

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 03:51:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • All I know is we have a third year starter at QB who needs to mature and show some leadership. Just like his former Herd peers - Fodor, Peterson, Gregory, Kresser, Pennington, Leftwich, Cato, etc.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man, srvfla14

Online herdfifteen

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 04:36:57 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • E, I'm recommendinq quite a change to the current system; make a decision before game one and stick to it.

By the way, you are correct with the number of championships in C-USA, but while it doesn't deminish your comment, there are a lot of teams in our conference who would love to have that "just one". 

We'll get more too IMHO.  We'll stay ahead of this conference; maybe not with Doc; but I do believe that with Hamrick.  I know a lot of folks don't like him, I'm not his biggest personality fan either. But I do believe he'll make the things necessary for MU to stay a leader in the conference happen.  We will have to step up and help lead too; with support and money...as we always have.

Hamrick is a big reason we are where we are presently. I have zero confidence in his ability to select a coach if and when when Doc is gone. His track record is abysmal.

Offline MUinDE

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 07:54:11 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Based on reports from last year, OFF-FIELD leadership will be just as important.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, The E-Man

Offline coalherd

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 08:12:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I keep hearing how Doc turned over every stone in the football program to correct what went wrong last year. This article states that again. So my question is this? Did he not find anything that caused the complete disaster last year (the worst football team we have put on the field since Stan Parrish took over)? There were no coaching moves that meant anything. I don't see anything that was corrected except trying to "say" the right things. If i'm missing something could someone correct me and show me what i'm missing?

Let's just hope that between our new Co-O coordinator and QB coach and Litton, the team will PROPERLY run the Read Option offense.  Never happen last season under Legg.

Offline Big City

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 08:41:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Let's just hope that between our new Co-O coordinator and QB coach and Litton, the team will PROPERLY run the Read Option offense.  Never happen last season under Legg.

While I am not necessarily a Legg fan the offense has worked in the past especially when the Herd has a good and consistent O Line. If they can get the o Line issues fixed the play book will open up even more. If the o Line is constantly injured and plays as inconsistent as last season expect more of the same and fans calling for coaches heads.

IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

Offline herd2win

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2017, 05:05:09 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am hoping for the best but the only time our offense worked under Legg was when Cato was improvising...it was the play calling or the offense it was an athlete making plays....Cato and Shuler had something special that always kept the chains moving.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2017, 05:05:09 AM »

Offline chris88

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2017, 08:21:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am hoping for the best but the only time our offense worked under Legg was when Cato was improvising...it was the play calling or the offense it was an athlete making plays....Cato and Shuler had something special that always kept the chains moving.

Agree. We did have better OL play and NFL caliber RB in Johnson, but it was Cato that kept defenses honest. And his ability to make chicken salad out of you know what was uncanny.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, Apollo

Offline coalherd

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2017, 05:09:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agree. We did have better OL play and NFL caliber RB in Johnson, but it was Cato that kept defenses honest. And his ability to make chicken salad out of you know what was uncanny.

Agree that we need a lot better caliber play overall from the OL.  That plus hoping that we don't have serious injuries to key players in that position, like those that hit Selby and Van Horn last season.  Also, another key may be if Anderson, a big running back, 240-250# plus in 2016, gets in better shape and is injury free in 2017.  He showed some flashes of talent and ability last year.
    « Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 05:12:29 PM by coalherd »

The following users thanked this post: chris88

HerdFans.com

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2017, 05:09:48 PM »