Author Topic: Dunston gone  (Read 2232 times)

Offline Scottyo614

Re: Dunston gone
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2012, 01:15:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • @mafia Football is the ultimate competition sport and also a great representation of life. After high school ball I promise you now, with my job as efficient and hard as I work, if someone came in and got a job over me for only reason they came from a higher place I'd leave. I may do the same thing to someone else that I'm mad about, but in business and sports life is not about being someone's best friend. It's all about getting ahead for yourself and family. Sad, but true. Outside of work ill be your best friend... On the job im out to win and make the company better. Some people just have that "Jordan" mindset of I'm going to win at all costs and be the best.

Zach has an incredible opportunity to transfer to D1 redshirt, workout, learn the system and take a shot to win a job next year with two years left. Would it be hypocritical to be mad at the BC guys when he is on course to potentially do the same? Very. Just hope he stays positive and finds a good situation.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2012, 01:15:56 PM »

Offline goherd24

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2012, 01:37:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Scotty, i take the opposite route. I believe that means you work harder and make whoever made that decision notice and realize they made a mistake. Earn that shot then make the nost out od it. Quitting and going somewhere else means you weren't committed in the first place, it means you thought you were entitled to that position, and even though aomeone else is more qualified, that you deserve it. This was what Dunston was thibking, and he quit. To each his own, but I will never look at that as a positive attribute to quit and take the easy route instead of fighting harder and prevailing.

Offline wvmafia

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2012, 01:56:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • @mafia Football is the ultimate competition sport and also a great representation of life. After high school ball I promise you now, with my job as efficient and hard as I work, if someone came in and got a job over me for only reason they came from a higher place I'd leave.

I agree 100% if they are getting the job because they are coming from a "bigger" or "better" place...but I think that most everyone who has watched O or LeGrade, that they aren't getting the job just because they came from BC.  They are outstanding football players --- if you'd leave because someone came in and was better than you and you felt like you should get the job because you've been with your employer, that doesn't say much for your competitive drive.

"When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows. And if you do that, if you do that, we cannot lose."

Offline Scottyo614

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2012, 02:06:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm not saying quit, but you best believe I'm always looking for ways to advance and grow to the spot I want. I understand in the grand scheme of things I'm apart of the machine and can be replaced. The business will go on without me and likely be just as successful as before. Because of that I'm also not afraid to take risk that can benefit me and my family in the long run. I expect everyone else to have that same mentality here in Columbus.

Once again though Dunston should not be angry, because he's about to do what the new safeties did. LeGrande left his team and O was off for disciplinary reasons. They hand picked their best spot to finish playing. Zach Dunston is about to do the same thing. No party should be mad here and 3 young men now have a chance to succeed at a higher level.

Offline jpdusa

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2012, 02:29:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • i remember a guy named Pennington that handled it pretty well when we brought in Kresser for one year...
    If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
    -Mark Twain

Offline Scottyo614

« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2012, 02:47:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • i remember a guy named Pennington that handled it pretty well when we brought in Kresser for one year...

Pennington had 3 years and the job all but wrapped to be his after his redshirt. He REALLY needed that redshirt and I'm pretty sure he knew as did everyone that was his best option. Kinda hard to compare the two imo

Offline goherd24

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2012, 03:23:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It is the same thing. Pennington had starting job, kresser comes in, Pennington gets mad and quits, his legend never exists.

Instead, he was humble, worked hard, and became the legend he ia. Dunston is a quitter, who didn't want whats best for team. He didnt want to take the back seat and learn and develop so he could come out swinging next year. He quit.

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2012, 03:23:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • @jstherd Good point on Donnan. What sucks is we as a football community bring it on. Happens all over college football. For all the 8 or the gates, it has forced to bring in one year wonders to keep Ws or try too.

you are crazy if you think Doc gives a damn about any "8 or the gates" at this point.  He's doing what he thinks is best, as he should.  The past two years he has made some decisions that hurt in the short term for the benefit of the long term.  This decision is more short term. It's his team, it's his third year, it's time to win..high attrition, some attrition or no attrition, it's time to win and I think he will.
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline Scottyo614

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2012, 04:20:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • @2x I'm aware Doc doesn't, but it can create pressure around to hot seat. Do I believe personally it should? No, but oh well.

@goherd24 he took the back seat for two years, wasn't going to be redshirted and had one year to prove himself. Pennington was guaranteed a red shirt and a year to build his body and learn with starting after in D1... Sounds like a rosey scenario to me. Is LeGrande or Thomas a quitter for leaving BC or Penn State? They didn't want what was best for their school... Is it great they are here absolutely, but they wouldnt be here if they never left. Are we giving a pass because they are in green?

This can't be great to pick up talent that transfers, but when someone leaves they are a quitter. End of the day, everyone is out for themselves. Id hope even if they can't make, it the goal is a education and a shot at the NFL. He is giving himself a better chance to succeed and make that dream. So is everyone else.

Offline jstherd

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2012, 05:56:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • For the record, I am impressed with the BC guys talent, speed, and, especially, their attitude. My remarks were in no way meant in a negative way toward them.

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #35 on: August 13, 2012, 06:19:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    I am impressed with the BC guys talent, speed,

Smock said both guys abosolutly smashed offensive players in one on one hitting drills....So who'd they truck?   Were they're opponents WR's?

Offline wvmafia

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2012, 06:48:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The Okohora and LeGrande HAVE been impressive roaming the secondary, but in the one-on-one tackling drill, they've looked very ordinary.  AND, there's an obvious reason that DB's and S's aren't WR's, but their hands aren't very good.  Not sure what the depth chart will end up looking like, but I'm guessing if the speculation is correct that Zack was where he wanted to be.

"When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows. And if you do that, if you do that, we cannot lose."

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2012, 06:48:28 PM »

Offline goherd24

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2012, 07:57:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Done debating. Im very happy on what we have for now. I just hope the coavhes use them in a way to be successful. No more talent excuses.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2012, 07:57:32 PM »