Author Topic: Incredibly ignorant responses about Anderson's play tonight  (Read 4383 times)

Offline _sturt_

Re: Incredibly ignorant responses about Anderson's play tonight
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2010, 02:01:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sturt, I think it a lofty expectation to think speciousness can be removed from internet forum arguments when the hype that accompanied the program change was drunk with it.

Yep. And it's is a lofty expectation regardless.

But this board, up until a couple of years ago, had been a place where one commonly found a higher level of intelligent discussion than the run-of-the-mill sports board. It's not that there was never a specious argument, but the amount of it and the degree to which it is so easily accepted these days is disappointing... and yes, I know that sounds arrogant, but we all make judgments, and that's one of mine.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2010, 02:01:11 PM »

Offline firstate

« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2010, 02:10:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • some quarterbacks throws easily catch-able balls...and anderson's are not.
    Most of them are high or off the mark.

and most importantly,

Anderson does not fit in this style of offense Holliday is running.  If this does not change, history will repeat itself. We will lose, and lose, and lose.

>>NOt blaming Anderson...blaming the coach for not benching him or creating an alternative offensive set he could do better in (i.e.  handing the ball off)

Offline Herd 90

« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2010, 02:14:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If that's perceived as condescending, oh well. I'm not persuaded that I'm the one with the problem.

Shocking.  ::)

I do like a lot of things you post sturt, but many times you do come across as a pompous, condescending jerk.  And I'm sure you're well aware of it.

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2010, 02:39:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Shocking.  ::)

I do like a lot of things you post sturt, but many times you do come across as a pompous, condescending jerk.  And I'm sure you're well aware of it.

I represent that remark.  :P

But seriously, I've already said all that is worth being said on that front. Let's debate/discuss points, not get distracted into what we like/don't like about posters (ie, me or you or anyone else), and do it in a somewhat civil, though not necessarily hypersensitive, way. That's essentially where I stand.

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2010, 02:44:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That is true.  I am a BA fan.  I just think AJ should get a shot.  I don't want to pile on BA but he is throwing high and we won't win with turnovers.

I've given BA the benefit of the doubt and he's proved me wrong. BA is very "inconsistent" you never know what QB is going to show up at game day. The balls he threw was terrible! There was like 5 balls he threw high and into the B-G sideline, even their players was shaking their heads and laughing. We are the laughing stock right now of college football..

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2010, 02:46:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm ready to move on, it's time for a change either A.J. or Sullivan.

Offline wvmafia

« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2010, 03:21:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If BA is the answer, the question must be:  how can we lose 10+ games this year!

"When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows. And if you do that, if you do that, we cannot lose."

Offline bases_loaded

• Rookie
    « Reply #57 on: September 19, 2010, 03:33:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sturt, I am not sure what game you were watching, but when any Quarterback, wether it be college, pro, high school or peewee, throws from his back foot, there is going to be a problem.  When he stepped up and threw off his front foot, his passes were right on target and uncatchable for anyone but the receiver.  He can do it, I have seen it with my own eyes.  So now all he has to do is do it each and every time.  We do have franchise players on this team  just liek most top 10 teams, now all we need is someone to make sure they get the ball in their hands.  And don't get on here and call everyone not so smart right from the get go.  IT shows what class you have, by saing that about people because they don't agree with your point of view.  Anyone know the difinition of true insanity? Look it up Sturto.

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2010, 04:43:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sturt, I am not sure what game you were watching, but when any Quarterback, wether it be college, pro, high school or peewee, throws from his back foot, there is going to be a problem.  When he stepped up and threw off his front foot, his passes were right on target and uncatchable for anyone but the receiver.  He can do it, I have seen it with my own eyes.  So now all he has to do is do it each and every time.  We do have franchise players on this team  just liek most top 10 teams, now all we need is someone to make sure they get the ball in their hands.  And don't get on here and call everyone not so smart right from the get go.  IT shows what class you have, by saing that about people because they don't agree with your point of view.  Anyone know the difinition of true insanity? Look it up Sturto.

Loaded, I'd reply, except I'm uncertain what you think you're disagreeing with... whatever his mechanics, it would not have mattered given the down receiver and the receiver who let the ball go through his hands. I don't doubt he would be better if he would resist the urge to throw off his back foot, and indeed, that has gotten him in trouble and will continue to do so in all likelihood... but it's irrelevant to the BG game, which is the topic of this thread.

It's not a matter of people being idiots for not agreeing with my point of view. It's a matter of people being idiots for reaching conclusions that don't hold up to the most simple scrutiny. And I don't call any one person not so smart... I leave it to people to choose for themselves if they'd like to be in that group or not. ;)

Offline MarshallGrad

« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2010, 05:43:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • sturt, is it that you believe many are blaming BA for the lost specifically because of their associating him with the interceptions and you contend that the ints that they are assigning to him were not his fault? I'm just trying to get straight the focus. Clearly he had a bad game and clearly he threw bad throws, which had they not been might have changed the course of the game at some point (but I would agree that all that would be speculation, like saying we lost because of the INTs or fumbles is speculation).

But the focus of your argument is that it is poor analysis to assign blame to BA for the INTS, correct?

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2010, 07:03:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • sturt, is it that you believe many are blaming BA for the lost specifically because of their associating him with the interceptions and you contend that the ints that they are assigning to him were not his fault? I'm just trying to get straight the focus. Clearly he had a bad game and clearly he threw bad throws, which had they not been might have changed the course of the game at some point (but I would agree that all that would be speculation, like saying we lost because of the INTs or fumbles is speculation).

But the focus of your argument is that it is poor analysis to assign blame to BA for the INTS, correct?

That's pretty consistent with the first post of the thread, so I'll say "yes, correct."

Offline fullboat

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #61 on: September 19, 2010, 09:17:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Thanks for Exhibit A, boat.

Clearly, the people who think everything can be reduced down to numbers are idiots. No, they really are.

I guess this is somehow news to that group, but only sometimes do the numbers tell the story... sometimes, they don't.

And that's why it's a sign of intelligence when we go beyond the numbers to study what actually occurred.

More impressive, on the other hand, are those who go beyond what actually occurred and try to figure out why what actually occurred actually occurred... and there are a few of those in this thread, so props to you.

What you don't understand is that YOU are exhibit A of idiotic fans.  You say we are mindless by going by numbers?  lol  We are 0-3 and our QB has thrown 3 touchdowns to our players and 4 to the other teams players.  And you don't think those numbers are relevant?  Please explain to us how Anderson has played well this year. 

Why can't you just sit back.............eat some crow.............and admit you have wasted the last 4 months of your life talking about how improved Anderson was gonna be.  Don't turn this on the Herd fans that were right about Anderson by talking about it requiring a 5th dimensional understanding to see how well he has played.  Because he has sucked in the first 4 dimensions. 

HerdFans.com

« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2010, 09:17:08 PM »

Offline mckayt

« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2010, 09:24:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • he still completed a good percentage and was nearly flawless at times

Passing         Cmp-Att-Int Yds TD Long Sack
    --------------------------------------------
    Anderson, Brian   20-44-4   191  1   23    0

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Offline sleeinwv

« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2010, 09:28:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • someone from another board describe 41 of his 44 attempts and not even 10 balls that he threw were good balls....

Offline fullboat

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #64 on: September 19, 2010, 09:39:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Passing         Cmp-Att-Int Yds TD Long Sack

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

lol..............nearly flawless at times?  I wish I could put myself in a happy place like that every time I wanted to.  And he is calling us idiots lol

Offline Marshallguy04

• WaterBoy
    • Heisman
    « Reply #65 on: September 19, 2010, 10:14:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The QB should be smarter than his WR's in my opinion. He should know EXACTLY the strengths and weaknesses of his WR's...and how they react to things not entirely perfect...would they cut a certain way if the ball were underthrown, what direction is their strongest recieving point, what type of throw should one use...a lead throw and let him use a quick burst of speed to catch up to it, a bullet because he can actually catch, or a cut back under throw because the CB has given him too much space?

Great QB's know their WR's and know their habits. Yeah, the ball was dropped several times, but Anderson didn't adjust, he didn't change ANY of his style of play to help compensate...he simply kept doing his thing and got toasted for it!

Offline field pass

• Heisman
    • Member Since 08/2012
    « Reply #66 on: September 19, 2010, 11:36:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • just hope the best QB plays...I think the chemistry with anderson doesnt seem to click...maybe he waits to long to make a read and then has to rifle a pass and thread a needle to a receiver and expect him to catch it...I dont know....

I dont know if any of our QBs can be expected to go through their progressions first year under new management....

I think its a liltte "out there" that some think they know that putting in our 3rd stringer is going to solve our problems...

I think our talent level under snyder sucked and the media over hyped our recruits....

Our guys didnt look much better than the MAC guys we were playing against....

Offline herdgameplan

« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2010, 11:49:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Please...Please...Please....Anderson stunk it up period! That was for Tony P a most miserable performance out of your starter. How do you not start someone else from here on out. We must look to the future for it is now and for the intellectual discourse we have loss...BSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! Football is all about dominance! Kicking the everloving SH%@T out of your opponet.... are we doing that?...NO...STURT GROW A PAIR!

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2010, 12:47:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What you don't understand is that YOU are exhibit A of idiotic fans.  You say we are mindless by going by numbers?  lol  We are 0-3 and our QB has thrown 3 touchdowns to our players and 4 to the other teams players.  And you don't think those numbers are relevant?  Please explain to us how Anderson has played well this year. 

Why can't you just sit back.............eat some crow.............and admit you have wasted the last 4 months of your life talking about how improved Anderson was gonna be.  Don't turn this on the Herd fans that were right about Anderson by talking about it requiring a 5th dimensional understanding to see how well he has played.  Because he has sucked in the first 4 dimensions. 

Excuse me?

Boat, exactly who is this person who has spent the last 4 months of their life talking about how improved Anderson was going to be?

You're confused, brother. I don't know who that guy is, but it's not me.

It's okay. It happens.

But btw... it seems evident from your words above, and given that I'm only making a limited assertion and that you're incorrectly charging me with saying more than what I'm saying, that part of the fundamental disconnect here is that you just don't like BA and you're determined to take every opportunity to diss him, even when the other person isn't necessarily defending the entirety of his play. That's not cool, nor does it speak very highly of your ability to discuss BA with any balance... essentially, it seems you've foreclosed to the conclusion you want to conclude regardless of what's actually being discussed.

Offline Marshallguy04

• WaterBoy
    • Heisman
    « Reply #69 on: September 20, 2010, 01:25:49 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You may see my reason, but it's not enough to see it.

You may disagree with it, but it's not enough to disagree with it. That is, if there is anything of substance underlying your reason for disagreement, share it with the rest of us.

If there isn't, then it's kind of silly to even bother to participate in a discussion. You've only made yourself and your opinions look weak.

You're justifying something that shouldn't be. Many of us tried to justify it earlier but have been proven wrong and now can only fulfill our prior beliefs...in question...Anderson's ability as a QB. He doesn't have it. He's constantly screwing things up for the rest of the team. How can the WR's expect to improve if he keeps throwing them picks? How can the momentum of the offense shift to the defense when the offense turns the ball over and the defense can't get a rest?

It's plain and simple my sturty little sturt. Anderson is not the answer and the fans, us, are getting antsy for some positives to go on. This game was supposed to be the redemption game...the game to turn the entire season around and give the fans something to look forward to...and for Doc to prove himself a winner and win on the road.
    Didn't turn out that way.

You claim it's not entirely on his shoulders...I disagree with that. I think 90% of it is...because the momentum of the players shifts with how he performs on the field...discourage the QB early in the game it'll trickle down into everyone else's heads and create worlds of problems. 20% of it is for the defensive schemes our wonderful Syracuse DC cooked up.
    (I am aware I have 110% listed here...which is the effort I believe Marshall always puts in with every game...despite being totally blown out this weekend).

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2010, 01:41:00 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Passing         Cmp-Att-Int Yds TD Long Sack

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Intriguing how practically every response now is not actually about the point of this thread, but rather an attempt to debate the rest of BA's game.

I believe my exact quote... and not just the part that mck feels works for his agenda... was...

You can talk all you want about who he should have thrown to, and maybe he should have.

But that's not what lost the game for us.

In spite of any shortcomings on that front, he still completed a good percentage and was nearly flawless at times, particularly late 2nd quarter through most of the third.

No.

What lost the game for us was a fumble on our side of the field, a receiver who fell down, and a receiver who didn't catch a catch-able ball.

I've also said...

Let's be clear.

He had a bad game?

Yes, he had a bad game.

What is "bad?"

Bad, as in, he didn't make plays to win the game, and on two critical occasions, he had the misfortune of having receivers not do their part.

And he did, indeed, have a bad game, particularly the 1st and 4th quarters when he went 4 of 18 with a total of 3 interceptions, as opposed to his 2nd and 3rd quarters when he went a respectable 16 of 26 with 1 TD and 1 INT... and as I indicated, he was nearly flawless in the last drive of the 2nd and the first two drives of the 3rd, going 15 of 21.

Again... none of that matters to my original assertion that I've now said about a half-dozen different ways... hopefully it sinks in at some point, but I can't be expected to find another half-dozen ways.

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2010, 01:52:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Okay. Last time on this. No more correcting you guys who can't seem to get it.

Did BA have a bad game?

Yes. Previous post makes that crystal clear.

Was BA's game the singular cause of the loss?

No. Receivers have to catch the ball. Two Falcon TDs are likely off the board if not for receiver miscues. It's a different game without those happening.

Does that mean BA should or should not start vs. Ohio?

That's another thread. Not this one. This one is about those who contend that BA is singularly responsible for the loss, when the facts, as opposed to the emotions, speak otherwise. I have no strong opinion about the Ohio game just yet b/c I'm quite certain that if the other two options were all that attractive, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Done. Going to bed.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2010, 01:52:41 AM »

Offline fullboat

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #72 on: September 20, 2010, 02:32:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Boat, exactly who is this person who has spent the last 4 months of their life talking about how improved Anderson was going to be?

It's okay. It happens.

But btw... it seems evident from your words above, and given that I'm only making a limited assertion and that you're incorrectly charging me with saying more than what I'm saying, that part of the fundamental disconnect here is that you just don't like BA and you're determined to take every opportunity to diss him, even when the other person isn't necessarily defending the entirety of his play. That's not cool, nor does it speak very highly of your ability to discuss BA with any balance... essentially, it seems you've foreclosed to the conclusion you want to conclude regardless of what's actually being discussed.

[/quote]

Actually your the one that is clearly confused.................brother.  It doesn't speak very high of your ability to discuss BA with any balance when you make statements like "he was nearly flawless at times."  When?  Are you talking about 1 pass?  Or one drive?  People like you convince yourself of something and no matter how much statistical data, facts and common sense people use to prove you wrong.............it won't change your opinion.  You are willing to look like a complete fool on here defending BA instead of just admitting you were wrong...........when everyone on this thread knows you are wrong. 

No single player can lose a game.  But BA was as close as it comes to happening. 

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2010, 10:29:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Boat, exactly who is this person who has spent the last 4 months of their life talking about how improved Anderson was going to be?

It's okay. It happens.

(1) Actually your the one that is clearly confused.................brother.
      It doesn't speak very high of your ability to discuss BA with any balance (2) when you make statements like "he was nearly flawless at times."  When?  Are you talking about 1 pass?  Or one drive?  People like you convince yourself of something and no matter how much statistical data, facts and common sense people use to prove you wrong.............it won't change your opinion.  You are willing to look like a complete fool on here defending BA instead of just admitting you were wrong...........when everyone on this thread knows you are wrong. 

No single player can lose a game.  But BA was as close as it comes to happening. 

(1) Let's talk about confusion, since you seem to still be kinda confused about why I would say what I said (again)...

That is... you were CONFUSED about who I am and who the person is who... and I quote... "wasted the last 4 months of your life talking about how improved Anderson was gonna be."

Those are two DIFFERENT people.

Hope that helps.

(2) And, one more... let's talk about READING COMPREHENSION, as in, reading and comprehending just the very previous post to yours which answered these words before they were even written. Pay particular attention to the 2nd and 3rd quarters part.

And please, this time, slow down and let it sink in... it generally saves one from some degree of embarrassment, that is, if they have any self-awareness and self-respect sufficient that they understand they should be embarrassed.

(I've been embarrassed before, too... again, it happens... the best one can do is just acknowledge the error and move on.)

Offline HerdFan2009

• Practice Squad
    « Reply #74 on: September 20, 2010, 12:06:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Usually no single person is ever responsible for a loss.  However, in this situation, it's totally reasonable to place most of the burden on BA's shoulders.  Of course nobody can say, "This was was 100% attributable to the error of so and so."  That statement can almost NEVER be made, so to argue either for or against it is totally pointless.  I don't think anyone is saying BA is THE ONLY reason for the loss, but he definitely made a MASSIVE contribution to the loss.  And, considering that we have two reasonable replacements for him, there is no excuse for him to have played as long as he played in that game.

Also, not that this has anything to do with this thread, but what we consider to be "good" moments for BA are what other D-I quarterbacks call a "regular game".  It's ridiculous to even point out a solid drive in a game when your performance is as terrible as BA's was on Saturday. 

HerdFans.com

« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2010, 12:06:20 PM »