Author Topic: Plane Crash Team Members Question  (Read 944 times)

Offline 2001grad

• Varsity
Plane Crash Team Members Question
« on: November 02, 2008, 01:26:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Does anyone know if those involved in the crash were ever given honorary degrees or what not?

If they were can you give me a reference to read.

If not, isn't it long over due to do such?  A lot of the students and residents that were around Huntington at the time aren't getting any younger and I'm sure it would mean a lot to them to see this happen.

HerdFans.com

Plane Crash Team Members Question
    « on: November 02, 2008, 01:26:34 AM »

Offline Sally

• Junior Varsity
    Re: Plane Crash Team Members Question
    « Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 12:56:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • as far as I know, the answer is no.

Offline sdfgoherd

• All American
    « Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 08:57:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just curious, but what made you think to ask this question today at 1:26 AM?  I would guess that this was thought of and the decision wat not to do it, but I do not know.  Does anybody know if the thought of giving honorary degrees was considered in the early years and, if so, what might have been the reasons cited at the time not do go forward?

Offline carolinaherdfan

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 09:16:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Honestly sdf, today if this same tragedy would occur; (God forbid) it would be a much bigger deal with all of the 24/7 national news casts, but you know what? MU has never thought of this before Sally brought this up on this internet board this morning. I will bet money on it. ;)

Offline Sally

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 09:21:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I did not bring it up, I only gave an answer to the question posed. (I think it's an odd question. It never would have occurred to me to  wonder about it.)

Offline carolinaherdfan

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 09:41:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sally I know how sensitve this subject can be. Hey, I admit this; I have never been able to set through any of these movies without having a breakdown. I will never forget and everytime I visit my parents grave, I just raise my head and look at the memorial, and it just always starts all over for me again.

Offline 2001grad

• Varsity
    « Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 10:54:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just curious, but what made you think to ask this question today at 1:26 AM?  I would guess that this was thought of and the decision wat not to do it, but I do not know.  Does anybody know if the thought of giving honorary degrees was considered in the early years and, if so, what might have been the reasons cited at the time not do go forward?

My dad who was a student there and graduated in 72(I think) was asking me about it going to the dirt track race at Charlotte the other night.  He mentioned that he had emailed the university about it a couple of times and was ticked off they never responded.

Sorry that I didn't get home until about 12:30 or so that night.  Not sure what the time of the post has to do with the price of tea in China though. 

Was just curious more for him than for me.  I suggested that maybe he should email Woody or Keith, etc. 

For what its worth he no longer donates any money to the University because of their failure to answer a simple question. 

Offline TomorrowHERD

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 05:17:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think that may have been a good idea to give the players degrees when they were scheduled to matriculate.  I think it has been too long now though. 

"I am for a government that is rigorously frugal and simple. Were we directed from Washington when to sow, when to reap, we should soon want bread."
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
    "I predict future hapiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."-Thomas Jefferson
    http://www.cnmi-guide.com/ipg/islandlife/saipan2/

Offline Sally

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 06:44:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't think it's a sensitive subject, just kinda out of the blue 38 years later! I just never thought about any of the guys getting posthumously-awarded degrees. I feel neutral about it.

Offline Thundermonkey

• All American
    « Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 11:17:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• I think its a great idea, better late than never.
    "Straight cash, homey."

RANDY MOSS

HerdFans.com

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 11:17:24 AM »