Author Topic: Can anyone explain why???  (Read 1785 times)

Offline 1995mubaseball

• Practice Squad
Can anyone explain why???
« on: November 06, 2006, 02:12:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Can anyone explain why AB rush total increased in the 4th quarter Saturday?  It might have something to do with Tulanes LB's not being able to cheat up to the line of scrimmage like they did when Morris was in there.  With Skinner in there, coaches have to respect the pass.  Hence, bigger totals for Bradshaw.  

Just curious to what you guys think?  Those of you that taped the game off CSTV like I did, go back and watch it agian and look at the location of Tulanes LB's when Morris is in there and Skinner.  It's like night and day.

HerdFans.com

« on: November 06, 2006, 02:12:28 PM »

Offline bigwormy

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 02:27:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • exactly what i was thinking myself. however, you might get bashed on here if you talk good about jimmy.
    if you want more oil at a cheaper price vote republican. if you want the same amount of oil in current supply at a higher price, vote democrat and for a windfall profit tax!

Offline luvherd

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 02:33:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My thoughts also. My thoughts on Bernie vs Jimmy - Prior to Sat I was in the BM camp and I hate to see any player get hurt; however, Jimmy has won the job. IF he continues to throw like that it will open up the run.

Another reason for more yards in the 4th qtr is clock management.
    MU Alum
    Big Green Member

Online marshallmark

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 02:33:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There's no question that's what happened.  It might have happened with Bernard in there, as well, but I think its much easier to put 8 in the box when Bernard is the QB because (a) he doesn't read defenses as well, (b) he doesn't throw as accurately and (c) the defense has to guard against his running ability, too.

My concern about Jimmy is his ability to make plays under pressure.  He's never shown that side and at least Bernard can scramble effectively.  If Jimmy gets protection like he has the last 2 games (big 'if), he's been as accurate as most any QB we've had.
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

Offline ThunderZone

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 02:44:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There are variables that you can’t measure that would have to be factored in … Again, this isn’t to take anything away from Jimmy or Bernard.

But, since the question was asked fatigue is something that has to be measured … AB is strong runner who is in fantastic shape and typically does get stronger as the game wears on and the more carries he gets.

Good OL’s and RB’s do get better as a game wears on and tend to wear down defenses over time ... When the "D" gets tired they don't move their feet, which leads to being out of position, which leads to missed tackles ... A bunch of variable that all can't be measured lead to this.

We've all seen over the years what's happened to some of our teams in the past ... We would play fine for 2 1/2 to 3 quarters and run out of gas defensively ... Then there would be gaping holes and big gains that weren't there early on ... There has been many cases of this.

This is not taking anything away from Jimmy he played very well, but over the last two years both of these guys have benefited from each other … When defenses have to prepare for two different QB’s with vastly different styles it is hard …

Blitz packages have to change … With JS you would want to collapse the pocket at his feet and not let him step up in the pocket … With BM (when healthy) you have to keep containment on the outside and not let him out of the pocket … And over the last two years both QB’s have benefited from coming off of the bench behind the other because it is hard for the defense to change on the fly in the middle of the game … Look at our game at SMU … Same thing.

Look, I like both of them … I want both to be successful … I just wish we could support both guys … It’s not something that you have to pick one or the other … They both play for us … And both benefit from the other because it is hard to prepare for the different styles.

Offline DC01HERD

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 03:07:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "marshallmark"
    There's no question that's what happened.  It might have happened with Bernard in there, as well, but I think its much easier to put 8 in the box when Bernard is the QB because (a) he doesn't read defenses as well, (b) he doesn't throw as accurately and (c) the defense has to guard against his running ability, too.

My concern about Jimmy is his ability to make plays under pressure.  He's never shown that side and at least Bernard can scramble effectively.  If Jimmy gets protection like he has the last 2 games (big 'if), he's been as accurate as most any QB we've had.

How about the drive against k.st.. He hit Moore on a big 4th down.

Offline bigwormy

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 04:21:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • how about coming in the 4th quarter at home with the game tied and throw three touchdowns... why does some smarta$$ always have to hijack the thread. i supported bernie all year until after last weeks game and now its time to make the switch. it might not work, but it sure wouldn't hurt to stay with what is hot. i will cheer for whoever plays behind center for the herd anytime no matter who it is.
    if you want more oil at a cheaper price vote republican. if you want the same amount of oil in current supply at a higher price, vote democrat and for a windfall profit tax!

Offline FLORIDA HERD FAN

• Heisman
    « Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 04:31:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The game was out of hand, and Tulane was dispirited. The exact same thing happened to the Herd earlier this season @ SMU.

Marshall dominated EVERY phase of the Tulane game in the second half of the fourth quarter.

Offline goherd50

Re: Can anyone explain why???
    « Reply #8 on: November 06, 2006, 05:01:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "1995mubaseball"
    Can anyone explain why AB rush total increased in the 4th quarter Saturday?  It might have something to do with Tulanes LB's not being able to cheat up to the line of scrimmage like they did when Morris was in there.  With Skinner in there, coaches have to respect the pass.  Hence, bigger totals for Bradshaw.  

Just curious to what you guys think?  Those of you that taped the game off CSTV like I did, go back and watch it agian and look at the location of Tulanes LB's when Morris is in there and Skinner.  It's like night and day.

I won't argue the general assertion that teams that don't respect the pass play better run defense.  However, I think you picked a bad game to use as your example.  We had over 100 yds. passing in the first qtr. and 227 mid way thru the 3rd when Morris got hurt.  Not exactly no passing threat.

The team had great first and fourth quarters.  The team didn't play so well in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.  It is a team game.

Online marshallmark

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2006, 05:04:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "DC01HERD"
    Quote from: "marshallmark"
    There's no question that's what happened.  It might have happened with Bernard in there, as well, but I think its much easier to put 8 in the box when Bernard is the QB because (a) he doesn't read defenses as well, (b) he doesn't throw as accurately and (c) the defense has to guard against his running ability, too.

I don't mean "pressure" as in game situations, I meant "pressure" as in 300# "athletic coaching" majors chasing him all around the backfield.
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

Offline catbird70

• All American
    « Reply #10 on: November 06, 2006, 05:13:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "bigwormy"
    how about coming in the 4th quarter at home with the game tied and throw three touchdowns... why does some smarta$$ always have to hijack the thread. i supported bernie all year until after last weeks game and now its time to make the switch. it might not work, but it sure wouldn't hurt to stay with what is hot. i will cheer for whoever plays behind center for the herd anytime no matter who it is.

That is a good point actually.....i hadnt noticed but now that you say it....it does seem like whenever the topic of discussion is Skinner that some people always have to bring up Bernie.......weird...

Offline DC01HERD

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2006, 05:15:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "marshallmark"
    Quote from: "DC01HERD"
    Quote from: "marshallmark"

I don't mean "pressure" as in game situations, I meant "pressure" as in 300# "athletic coaching" majors chasing him all around the backfield.

Didn't read carefully.. but i think if we have the threat of passing then they can't pin there ears back and bring pressure. hopefully if he does get pressure he will just take the sack and we can punt instead of turing the ball over!!!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2006, 05:15:03 PM »

Offline MarshallMatrix

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2006, 06:49:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There is no question that Jimmy Skinner's 5 veteran years at Marshall show the way he played the last three games.  Checking down receivers, looking the other direction to fool safties, and more importantly, throwing mostly accurate passes.  However, I reserve full opinion on Skinner until we see him do well from the start of a game to the finish.  My gut feeling tells me that the offense will do just fine. Especially the way that the OL has been playing. Go get'em boys!

Offline mxman870

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2006, 08:36:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "MarshallMatrix"
    There is no question that Jimmy Skinner's 5 veteran years at Marshall show the way he played the last three games.  Checking down receivers, looking the other direction to fool safties, and more importantly, throwing mostly accurate passes.  However, I reserve full opinion on Skinner until we see him do well from the start of a game to the finish.  My gut feeling tells me that the offense will do just fine. Especially the way that the OL has been playing. Go get'em boys!

Amen Matrix,,,,,,,,,, I second that emotion

Offline sardistim

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2006, 08:38:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Actually Bradshaw got almost all of his 4th Q yards on his last two carries, which went for 34 and 15 yards.

The Herd was leading 42-21 and there was less than 2 minutes to play.

Until then his rushing was no better than it had been in the 3rd Q with Bernie.

To suggest that Ahmad ran better because Skinner was keeping the LBs from crowding the line like they had been with Bernie is stretching things a bit.  A more likely explanation is that Tulane knew the game was over and didn't quite give it the old college try.

Really, folks we need to move on.  This Skinner // Morris thing is messing up a time when we should all just be celebrating the Herd's midseason turn around.

Face it, Morris is the starter and Skinner is the backup.  As soon as Bernie is healthy he will start again, when ever that is.  Thankfully, we have two capable QBs.  For now, just enjoy the ride while it lasts and quit being making everything a Morris vs. Skinner thread.

Offline 1995mubaseball

• Practice Squad
    « Reply #15 on: November 08, 2006, 10:23:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "sardistim"
    Actually Bradshaw got almost all of his 4th Q yards on his last two carries, which went for 34 and 15 yards.

Until then his rushing was no better than it had been in the 3rd Q with Bernie.

To suggest that Ahmad ran better because Skinner was keeping the LBs from crowding the line like they had been with Bernie is stretching things a bit.  A more likely explanation is that Tulane knew the game was over and didn't quite give it the old college try.

Really, folks we need to move on.  This Skinner // Morris thing is messing up a time when we should all just be celebrating the Herd's midseason turn around.

Face it, Morris is the starter and Skinner is the backup.  As soon as Bernie is healthy he will start again, when ever that is.  Thankfully, we have two capable QBs.  For now, just enjoy the ride while it lasts and quit being making everything a Morris vs. Skinner thread.

It does no good to watch the games 2 and 3 times and note the obvious.  People on here are so into Bernie that cant see the obvious that is right there in front of them.

Offline HerdZone

• Hall of Famer
    • Member Since 12/2009
    « Reply #16 on: November 08, 2006, 10:39:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "sardistim"
    Actually Bradshaw got almost all of his 4th Q yards on his last two carries, which went for 34 and 15 yards.

As good as we were running that drive we could have scored again. But we took a knee. That would have then been running up the score like some of you think we did against Hofstra.

Offline Rocket19

• Rookie
    « Reply #17 on: November 08, 2006, 10:45:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't think "running up the score" is the proper term to use.  I think "covering the spread" is why we scored that last touchdown against Hofstra.  Same thing Tennessee did to us on their last drive, scoring to cover the points.  I know because I was on the loosing end both times....LOL
    If it aint broke, don't fix it....if it's broke, fix it fast!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2006, 10:45:27 AM »