Author Topic: The Biggest Commitment We Need Today  (Read 823 times)

Offline 11-14-70

The Biggest Commitment We Need Today
« on: December 15, 2021, 11:17:23 AM »
  • [Like]5
  • [Dislike]1
  • Is from Huff. I know that he has to be disappointed in the fan base, as am I. He and his agent have inquired about more jobs than has leaked out. I have spoken with him several times about what a bright future he could have ahead of him at a larger institution. Him and I have both agreed that he needs to build something here first. 

He talks a good game, and has told us what we want to hear. At his last press conference, he told us some things we needed to hear, and things that some didn't want to hear. He also said some things he shouldn't have said, if he wants to win over the fan base. Marshall fans are a hard sale, but once you reach them, they can be one of the proudest fan bases in the country. Hype and Twitter has never won the first game.

For his own good and ours, he needs to step up to the mic today, as he receives 4 year commitments from young men during a crossroads in their lives, and commit to them, as well, for 4 years.

If he can't do this, the Athletic Department/President need to help him find his future somewhere else.

He wants everyone pulling "His" rope the same way, while he pulls it the other way. I have never blamed anyone for trying to better themselves, just not at the expense of others.

Our world is at odds with each other, because no one pulls together, and no one commits to anything or anyone. Everyone just wants what's best for them, even if they don't have to work for it.

It's not his "bandwagon", it's ours. I'm never jumping off, and if he chooses to do so, I'm not following.

We all, Huff included, need to commit to this program.

And if we do, as a well respected man once said, "We Cannot Lose!" - Jack Lengyel -

BTW, I don't post often, but felt the need to here. When I post, I do so in the best interests of THE HERD!

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, DallasGreen, herdfan93, whf, herd33, Johns1124, MarshallMike, chris88, elginherd

HerdFans.com

The Biggest Commitment We Need Today
    « on: December 15, 2021, 11:17:23 AM »

Online overherd1

Re: The Biggest Commitment We Need Today
    « Reply #1 on: December 15, 2021, 11:39:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Excellent post and in agreement with it.  I like Coach Huff and think he can get it done here.  Just needs to realize it is not Alabama or Penn State.  We have a great fan base and will get behind the program if we do things the right way.  It will take some time.  Plus, people have many other things on their plate then earlier years.  I think with a consistent winner we can average 25,000 fans a game and even more for higher profile games.  I hope Coach Huff signs who he wants/needs to today and can produce a proven winner for the next 3-4 years.  It is obvious that if he succeeds he will move on, as he should and most coaches aspire to be the best they can be.

Hope it works for him, but more importantly for Marshall.  We will be here after he is gone on to greener pastures.

Offline herdinphilly

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2021, 11:49:52 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]-1
  • The sad reality is that if we want a "four-year commitment" from a coach then we need to hire a 58-62 year-old that will not be on everyone's short list. Heck, even players don't have to commit to four years anymore. I think if Huff wins 9+ games next year, he's gone.

The following users thanked this post: wesnky

Online gochneaur645

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2021, 11:57:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Nope, not how it works in CFB today. We have way too many fans who get butthurt over somebody potentially leaving.

Online whf

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2021, 12:01:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The sad reality is that if we want a "four-year commitment" from a coach then we need to hire a 58-62 year-old that will not be on everyone's short list. Heck, even players don't have to commit to four years anymore. I think if Huff wins 9+ games next year, he's gone.
    I don't know about the age span you outline, but agree with your hypothesis.  BUT, I do think that there are way to interview for intent, and to get commitments for a tenure in the 4 to 5 year range. Look at Napier at Lousiana, he could have gone earlier but he didn't; why?  I know from nearly fifty years of business experiences, there are starters and finishers, and there are those who have a penchant for needed to finish what they start. We need someone in this third class, a starter who has a personal need to see what they start...finish.  I can't see that being less than three years.

P.S. Build it and they will come.

P.S.S. If a big part of Huff's income promise was on other than the field of play, the graduation rate of the players, the transformation of kids into young men, etc., both he and the university made a big mistake.  For it is upon his success in these areas, not his ability to rouse a crowd and get fans in the seats, that he should be / should have been hired; and accepted the job.  I actually think that as bad as the last five or six days have been concerning Huff, it will / should be a rush-learning job for him and a growth opportunity for him long term.  No one is protected from their own naivete for ever.

Offline herdinphilly

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2021, 12:07:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I actually think that as bad as the last five or six days have been concerning Huff...
    Why do you think the past 5-6 days have been bad for Huff? He just landed 4-star and a 5-star transfers and is preparing for a bowl game against a ranked team. What am I missing?

Online svherd

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2021, 12:40:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

We had that guy. He averaged 7 wins a year and one league title in a decade. Not sure if that?s what the fan base wants. The BOG and Brad need a short list at all times on who they would like for the next coach to be.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, forphase1

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #7 on: December 15, 2021, 12:53:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • We had that guy. He averaged 7 wins a year and one league title in a decade. Not sure if that?s what the fan base wants. The BOG and Brad need a short list at all times on who they would like for the next coach to be.

It would be one thing if Huff bounced after showing he is a great coach, but he looks like a donkey to me (see ECU, App St, MTSU, etc)

No problem if he leaves

$2 million buyout , the new Doc/Snyder leaves and new AD hires his guy

Win-win-win

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Online HerdHopeful07

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2021, 01:04:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It would be one thing if Huff bounced after showing he is a great coach, but he looks like a donkey to me (see ECU, App St, MTSU, etc)

No problem if he leaves

$2 million buyout , the new Doc/Snyder leaves and new AD hires his guy

Win-win-win

All except for the fact that the recruiting class gets trashed and we are set back even further, which will then even more kill our fanbase leaving us to look like a Mac team in the future. Really sounds like a win all the way around.
    Herd Fan because every victory is a little bit sweeter

Offline herdinphilly

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2021, 01:06:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We had that guy. He averaged 7 wins a year and one league title in a decade. Not sure if that?s what the fan base wants. The BOG and Brad need a short list at all times on who they would like for the next coach to be.
    And that's why no one wanted him. If he'd been 35 getting the win totals he was getting, he would have had offers.

Offline bbcard1

• Assistant Coach
    « Reply #10 on: December 15, 2021, 01:23:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If you like momentum and fan support, it's better not to choke away three games in a row early in the season. Huff is not the first coach to whine like this. I really hope he stays a couple more years. I think he can help us move up the ladder.

Offline herd2win

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2021, 01:32:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Huff talks like Donnan but the difference is Donnan won and won big. I did not expect Huff to be here more than 3 or 4 years but to jump ship after 1 very mediocre year I will not pay attention to a word out of his mouth. (I don?t need snake oil)

I will support the Herd and the guys that choose to be part of our team.  That will never go away.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2021, 01:32:44 PM »

Online whf

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2021, 01:42:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Why do you think the past 5-6 days have been bad for Huff? He just landed 4-star and a 5-star transfers and is preparing for a bowl game against a ranked team. What am I missing?
    This board is not the only communications I have about Marshall sports, his message / presser was not well received.  He has hurt his image, and I do think that is bad for him.  Sorry this has happened, as I've said many times (not sure you read that part as you challenge everything I input, but hey, that's why we're here), I've liked 90% of all he has done, until this week. And whether you like it or not, I am not the only one, some very surprised people...

Online Scottyo614

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2021, 02:04:35 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • I just wonder if a plan hasn?t been put in place for when he leaves. Maybe expectation was one to three years. Seems like the Chapman/Bartrum hires were to set up should he leave one would step in.

I won?t criticize someone wanting better. I even get looking after a year. None of this is surprising he went looking. This is why I said earlier this year. We are the bandwagon. Coach needs to get on our train. They will leave Marshall. We will not until it?s time to leave this world.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2021, 02:08:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Huff talks like Donnan but the difference is Donnan won and won big. I did not expect Huff to be here more than 3 or 4 years but to jump ship after 1 very mediocre year I will not pay attention to a word out of his mouth. (I don?t need snake oil)

I will support the Herd and the guys that choose to be part of our team.  That will never go away.

You brought up Jim Donnan and I love Jim, but he left us at the alter in quite a few big games. You never knew what would happen in the second half with Jim coaching. That said, I really wanted him to be head the coach after he applied for the Marshall job after when we hired Mark Snyder. I think it was Farrell who against hiring Donnan?

Jim was 6-5 is first year at Marshall. His second year he went to the 1-AA championship in Stateboro and blew 17-6 lead at the end of the third quarter and lost 25-17 with YSU scoring 19 unanswered points in the 4th quarter. He won the championship the next year at the Joan after YSU came back in the 4th quarter and scored 14 straight points before we got the winning field goal. The game wasn't settled until Troy Brown intercepted a YSU pass to end the game. In 1993 Jim lost the championship at the Joan to YSU 17-5 and the game was never in doubt. In 1995 we were ahead of BSU 24-7 late in the second quarter in the semi final game when BSU scored just before halftime and won the game 28-24 without MU scoring in the second half. In 1995 Jim lost to Montana 22-20 in the 1-AA Championship game at the Joan.

By the way, I don't think Jim talks like Huff. Jim was fairly blunt at the QB Club luncheons. I remember one time he pissed off a major contributor at one luncheon with a stupid remark. Jim was not as glib as Huff.

Online Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    « Reply #15 on: December 15, 2021, 02:10:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • All except for the fact that the recruiting class gets trashed and we are set back even further, which will then even more kill our fanbase leaving us to look like a Mac team in the future. Really sounds like a win all the way around.

If the new AD makes a good hire we will be fine

That?s the name of the game as a G5

Continues to make good hires

Offline herdinphilly

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2021, 02:14:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This board is not the only communications I have about Marshall sports, his message / presser was not well received.  He has hurt his image, and I do think that is bad for him.  Sorry this has happened, as I've said many times (not sure you read that part as you challenge everything I input, but hey, that's why we're here), I've liked 90% of all he has done, until this week. And whether you like it or not, I am not the only one, some very surprised people...
    I?m not trying to challenge. I might say that it feels the other way around. But I don?t take things personally.

I really don?t think Huff sees ruffling some feathers as being a hard week. That?s projecting others? feelings upon him. He?s focused and getting his team ready and sealing the deal on new commits. I highly doubt he?s stressing over his image from that presser.

The following users thanked this post: HoPPy785

Offline herd2win

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2021, 02:50:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You brought up Jim Donnan and I love Jim, but he left us at the alter in quite a few big games. You never knew what would happen in the second half with Jim coaching. That said, I really wanted him to be head the coach after he applied for the Marshall job after when we hired Mark Snyder. I think it was Farrell who against hiring Donnan?

Jim was 6-5 is first year at Marshall. His second year he went to the 1-AA championship in Stateboro and blew 17-6 lead at the end of the third quarter and lost 25-17 with YSU scoring 19 unanswered points in the 4th quarter. He won the championship the next year at the Joan after YSU came back in the 4th quarter and scored 14 straight points before we got the winning field goal. The game wasn't settled until Troy Brown intercepted a YSU pass to end the game. In 1993 Jim lost the championship at the Joan to YSU 17-5 and the game was never in doubt. In 1995 we were ahead of BSU 24-7 late in the second quarter in the semi final game when BSU scored just before halftime and won the game 28-24 without MU scoring in the second half. In 1995 Jim lost to Montana 22-20 in the 1-AA Championship game at the Joan.

By the way, I don't think Jim talks like Huff. Jim was fairly blunt at the QB Club luncheons. I remember one time he pissed off a major contributor at one luncheon with a stupid remark. Jim was not as glib as Huff.

I meant that Donnan was always complaining about the crowd support, especially during the playoff games.

Online whf

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2021, 02:56:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I?m not trying to challenge. I might say that it feels the other way around. But I don?t take things personally.

I really don?t think Huff sees ruffling some feathers as being a hard week. That?s projecting others? feelings upon him. He?s focused and getting his team ready and sealing the deal on new commits. I highly doubt he?s stressing over his image from that presser.
    I never said he felt it was a hard week, I'm saying for his acceptance it was a hard week for more than a few. Receive it as you'd like.

Online HoPPy785

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2021, 03:02:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I never said he felt it was a hard week, I'm saying for his acceptance it was a hard week for more than a few. Receive it as you'd like.

Some people get their feelings hurt that he told the truth about our situation? He said what most.of.us know but some want to stick their head in the 90s time machine and feel special still.

We are at a tipping point of becoming just another G5. That goes for fan support, money, facilities and national rep. We have got to get better in all facets. We have peers building and upgrading left and right while we can't even get a baseball field built in 20 years of trying.

Online HoPPy785

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2021, 03:03:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Last I checked, he didn't jump ship after 1 year...

Offline THECHAMPISHERE

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2021, 03:03:23 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]1
  • Is from Huff. I know that he has to be disappointed in the fan base, as am I. He and his agent have inquired about more jobs than has leaked out. I have spoken with him several times about what a bright future he could have ahead of him at a larger institution. Him and I have both agreed that he needs to build something here first. 

He talks a good game, and has told us what we want to hear. At his last press conference, he told us some things we needed to hear, and things that some didn't want to hear. He also said some things he shouldn't have said, if he wants to win over the fan base. Marshall fans are a hard sale, but once you reach them, they can be one of the proudest fan bases in the country. Hype and Twitter has never won the first game.

For his own good and ours, he needs to step up to the mic today, as he receives 4 year commitments from young men during a crossroads in their lives, and commit to them, as well, for 4 years.

If he can't do this, the Athletic Department/President need to help him find his future somewhere else.

He wants everyone pulling "His" rope the same way, while he pulls it the other way. I have never blamed anyone for trying to better themselves, just not at the expense of others.

Our world is at odds with each other, because no one pulls together, and no one commits to anything or anyone. Everyone just wants what's best for them, even if they don't have to work for it.

It's not his "bandwagon", it's ours. I'm never jumping off, and if he chooses to do so, I'm not following.

We all, Huff included, need to commit to this program.

And if we do, as a well respected man once said, "We Cannot Lose!" - Jack Lengyel -

BTW, I don't post often, but felt the need to here. When I post, I do so in the best interests of THE HERD!

Maybe one of the all time dumbest posts on Herdfans EVER.

Wait, you and him are already talking about "what a bright future he could have at a larger (ANOTHER) institution". LOL... Who does that?? Why would any fan talk with the Head Football Coach IN HIS FIRST YEAR about how bright his future would be SOMEWHERE ELSE? LOL Maybe you are part of the problem. And then you turn around and say he needs to stay here for 4 years and be committed to the program (which isn't how it works by the way). But then YOU were the "fan" that was just talking to him about how great it could be "somewhere else".

"Him and I have both agreed he needs to build something here first" HUH? Who are you? Who cares if you agree or disagree with the decisions HE makes for HIMSELF, HIS family, and HIS career. Huff will be gone the minute something better comes along; whether that be tomorrow, the day before the bowl game, next week, next month, next year, or 3 years from now. He is not giving you any inside info on what he is going to do with his private life. "You both agree..."  ::) He is not telling you ANYTHING of value!!!

« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 03:07:15 PM by THECHAMPISHERE »

The following users thanked this post: HoPPy785

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2021, 03:03:23 PM »

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2021, 03:15:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hiring Huff is similar to the hiring of Billy Donovan as the MU basketball coach. Everyone knew it would be just a matter of time before a larger school would hire him away. That is the chance a school at MU's level takes in hiring a hot shot young coach. I am not saying that Huff will be as successful as Donovan, but Billy was only at Marshall for two seasons. It is the chance you take when hiring coach who is seems to be on an upward trajectory.

I don't blame a coach for leaving for a better paying job, he has to take care of himself and his family. Coaching is not a secure position with todays fickle fans.  Even Bob Pruett nearly took the Houston job and the big paycheck.

Online chris88

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2021, 03:21:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No coach will win a championship with one foot out the door. For all we know he has told incoming players he'd take them with him if he leaves. The reality is a G5 coach can make enough money in his first P5 job contract to never have to worry about he and family working again. On top of that, if they fail, they can, and usually do, go back to G5.

The very best coaches usually are very strong X and O guy on one side of ball at least. Brian Kelly cut his teeth as an offense guy competing for small school championships in Michigan, Lane Kiffin obviously an offensive X and O guy as is Lincoln Riley and I believe Dabo Sweeney. Tressel, Meyer, Saban, and Smart more defensive.  If you are going to compete in a P5 you better have some X and O experience or you'll never beat the better teams because that is what wins close games and only a few schools can afford to hire the best coordinators year in and out. I love the guy hired at Notre Dame and he is a defensive guru. Problem with Freeman is he's never been a HC anywhere and that is a difficult role to step into.

Fans support is down most places except the SEC and the other I often mention as top15 programs. We could have sold out every home game and I doubt it would have made a W/L difference. WVU sold out one game VT and didn't hit 55k for any other except Texas Tech. Only LIU was other game over 50k. That is a cop out. If the school has the resources to pay you what they are paying the support is there. As I said in another thread, we averaged way more fans a game than Duke and they have an ACC schedule.

All that said, i'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I think he likely communicates/connects better with AA athletes, his wife is pregnant, and the recruiting classes have looked good on paper to this point. But if he is already looking to get out it will show on the field.
    « Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 03:24:36 PM by chris88 »
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, Scottyo614

HerdFans.com

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2021, 03:21:35 PM »