Author Topic: Pullman Plaza  (Read 1775 times)

Offline wesnky

Pullman Plaza
« on: September 22, 2017, 09:37:50 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • http://www.herald-dispatch.com/news/developers-to-spend-m-on-ashland-plaza-hotel/article_adeace70-ab73-5b7f-94bb-4ea2bf54440d.html

I see the Ashland Plaza hotel is starting a 16 million make over with a convention center in the works beside it.

What ever happened to a Double Tree taking over Pullman??

HerdFans.com

Pullman Plaza
    « on: September 22, 2017, 09:37:50 AM »

Offline marshallmark

Re: Pullman Plaza
    « Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 09:53:57 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Its happening.  My daughter is doing a show in Huntington later this year, and her rehearsal space is labeled "DoubleTree Hotel".  I also understand that some renovation material has already been moved onto the site, but I don't think hammer has been placed to nail yet.
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: lovetheherd2, Garbanjo, The E-Man

Offline herd2win

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 10:12:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It is going to be a Doubletree from everything I have read...it has just taken a little while to start the renovation.

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

Offline coalherd

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 01:22:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • http://www.herald-dispatch.com/news/developers-to-spend-m-on-ashland-plaza-hotel/article_adeace70-ab73-5b7f-94bb-4ea2bf54440d.html

I see the Ashland Plaza hotel is starting a 16 million make over with a convention center in the works beside it.

What ever happened to a Double Tree taking over Pullman??

Was just thinking the same thing, wesnky.  Saw on tv where the folks in Ashland are very excited over the hotel project there and one official said it could be a game changer for the city.  Then I believe over in Ironton someone is getting ready to do a multi million dollar renovation on an existing hotel there.  Just wondered what the reason for the snail's pace renovation/makeover was at the Pullman Plaza in Huntington, other than such painfully S--L--O--W progress was just the NORM in Huntington!

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 02:57:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • God bless them for supporting the Herd, and I am the son of a former union secretary, but unions slow things down and make things cost more. I talked to a developer who said building in Huntington was a nightmare in comparison to the other places he built buildings.   

Offline svherd

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 04:24:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ashland and Ironton's properties will likely be built and done before they start work at Pullman. Who owns Pullman anyway, MR?

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline banker

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 05:24:01 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Oh, the Herald Dispatch.  They properly refer to Jim Nizzo to open the story, but call him Rizzo the rest of the article.  Nizzo and Spiros are really great guys, used to be customers of mine while I was still in banking.  Hope they do well with the Ashland property.

MR and the investors sold the Pullman to the people converting it.  They have rented the old Mac & Daves and been filling it with the materials needed for the renovation.  They start next month.  They had some issues with their franchise agreement but that is all now worked out.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd

Offline elginherd

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 11:07:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • "They have rented the old Mac & Daves"

Banker, as a proud alum of M & D's where I worked, along with playing music, supporting myself (100%, room, food, clothes, etc. no $$$ what-so-ever from parents, trust funds, nothing) in meandering through Marshall to get a degree, please spell "Mack" correctly. At the last Pegasus reunion at the Knights of Columbus, several of us M & D's alum were lamenting the loss of this long-time Huntington establishment.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Offline mckayt

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 11:21:23 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Something positive for that place can't happen soon enough.  It's a dump.  Throughout the years I've attended and been a part of many meetings there and it's steadily went down hill to the point it is at now, which is simply just space.

They can't even provide the basic minimum services somebody would expect for professional meeting space.  I was there in May.  I walked into our room to set up and there was nothing but a room with seats and a 1970s podium. No sound, no screen/projector for presentation.  I went to the sales office and asked for a screen and a sound setup.  They said they had no sound but dug up a 5'x5' portable screen and I used my own projector.  What company would use Pullman Plaza for that experience? 

We've gotta get so much better or we'll always be the joke. 

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Apollo

Offline goherd73

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 11:44:05 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just wondered what the reason for the snail's pace renovation/makeover was at the Pullman Plaza in Huntington, other than such painfully S--L--O--W progress was just the NORM in Huntington!

Well  the article said it has taken 10 years for the Ashland property to come to fruition. The Pullman renovation was announced a little over a year ago.

"The latest project has been a decade or so in the making. Chris Pullem, Ashland's community and economic development director, said he first met with Rizzo and Spiros at a convention in Las Vegas 10 years ago and talked about renovating and upgrading Ashland's largest hotel."

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Flat Tire 2

Offline svherd

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2017, 02:40:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Oh, the Herald Dispatch.  They properly refer to Jim Nizzo to open the story, but call him Rizzo the rest of the article.  Nizzo and Spiros are really great guys, used to be customers of mine while I was still in banking.  Hope they do well with the Ashland property.

MR and the investors sold the Pullman to the people converting it.  They have rented the old Mac & Daves and been filling it with the materials needed for the renovation.  They start next month.  They had some issues with their franchise agreement but that is all now worked out.

That's great to hear. Thanks for the info.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline coalherd

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 07:43:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well  the article said it has taken 10 years for the Ashland property to come to fruition. The Pullman renovation was announced a little over a year ago.

"The latest project has been a decade or so in the making. Chris Pullem, Ashland's community and economic development director, said he first met with Rizzo and Spiros at a convention in Las Vegas 10 years ago and talked about renovating and upgrading Ashland's largest hotel."

Heck, 73, you can make the argument that the Pullman has been on a long, long downward spiral since Harold Frankel ran it as a Holiday Inn with his spewing Pompei Volcano in the club area!!  That's about almost 50 years or so ago.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 07:43:18 PM »