Author Topic: love to support the herd  (Read 1867 times)

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
  • Assistant Coach
  • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
love to support the herd
« on: January 08, 2005, 03:40:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • But the move of the first two games to Thursday would sure suck for me.  In theory, I could take half a day off work, get my son out of school early, drive 225 miles for the game, watch the game, get out about 10:30, spend the night at my mom's get on the road by 5 am to have my kid back at school by 9 am.  Two weeks in a row.  I am sure I am not the only one in this position.  If this is where it goes, my personal ticket commitment will go from four mid priced season tickets to two endzone season tickets.  But I'll still get season tickets and pull for the herd.

We are sacificing a sellout and a 30K+ crowd at Bill & Mary for television.  I sure hope I'm the one who's shortsighted...but I wonder.

HerdFans.com

love to support the herd
    « on: January 08, 2005, 03:40:36 PM »

Offline HERDUSA

• Rookie
    love to support the herd
    « Reply #1 on: January 08, 2005, 04:05:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What might be nice for a change is to average over 35,000 a game for the season. Talking about the Marshall following is great, actually having the tickets sold and the people in the stadium is another thing. Marshall has complained about the MAC schools since entering the MAC, but have we ever come close to filing the stadium on a regular basis ?  NO we havent. While the TV games are nice and all so is selling out the stadium with a good schedule this year due to the move to CUSA and KSU coming to town. So while Marshall did lead the MAC for the time we were there , the attendence numbers were nothing to write home about especially when you consider all the complaining that was done about attendence. Thursday night games are great and all but they have to be worth it in more ways than just money.

HERDUSA

Offline mrherd05

• Junior Varsity
    love to support the herd
    « Reply #2 on: January 08, 2005, 04:15:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I believe we will make up for the lost out of town crowd, with additional students, which will enable us to average the same as if the game were played on Saturday.

Not to mention we will have more students at the game because the team will be younger and many of them will still be considered friends of the stars such as Bradshaw, Morris, Spann, Fitzgerald, etc. These guys are young enough to still live with students who live on campus and will come out to support them.

Just my opinion

Offline OhYeaahMU

• Junior Varsity
    love to support the herd
    « Reply #3 on: January 08, 2005, 06:27:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Win...and the seats will fill.  Sure, it would be awesome to sell out on a continual basis (and WE should sell out), but what is more important for Marshall's growth as a football program and as an institution in general?  The answer to this would be "NATIONAL PROMINENCE" and the only way to get this is by having people recognize who Marshall is.  Television is the way to do this.  Even if I can't make all the games because of the Thursday move, I prefer getting the Marshall name out.

Offline HERDUSA

• Rookie
    love to support the herd
    « Reply #4 on: January 08, 2005, 06:51:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It all depends on who you are trying to get the name out to. If its purely atletes that you are looking to attract then Thursday night games are a great way to do it. On the other hand I personally am looking at Marshalls growth to come in many more ways than athletically. We might have tapped the peak of the mountain a couple of years ago for some time to come (football) but we are no where near at the top of the mountain accademically or in other ways as you look at the university as a whole. Thursday night games are not going to do anything for that aspect. Thursday night with the right opponet such as KSU is much more viable than Bill and Mary but in all actuality I would imagine the crowd would be better for either game if its played on Saturday night.

Regardless of how people want to look at the situation keep in mind that Huntington is made up of alot of people who for one reason or another have to work on Saturday (day) or have alot to do during the day on Saturday that would make it to a Sat night game. On the other hand  a Saturday day game might be better for someone who wants to get home before 1 AM on Sunday morning , then again how many are going to take Thursday and Friday off for a Thursday night game, if they have to drive more than an hour or so to get to Huntington.  So where is the line drawn and by whom. Thursday night games are great for some bad for others just as Sat day vs Sat Night is concerned. But for a high profile game like KSU will be considering no team of that stature has ever been to Huntington, the idea would be to have a sellout, for once, and that I think has a better chance of happening on Saturday night vs Thursday night.

JMO on Thrursday night and Marshall football

Offline carolinaherdfan

Meaning no disrespect
    « Reply #5 on: January 08, 2005, 08:20:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If they start having T-Herd games at 2:00 a.m., on Monday, I will be there.

That's not to infer that my love for the team is greater than yours, its' just that I am going to support the Herd anytime, anyplace, anywhere, I can.

I am not trying to boast, but after driving 500 miles just to see the hallowed ground of the Joan!  I started in 1963, and plan on never quitting.

If you can't make it; we can still be friends.  Do whatever you can.  I just literally love Marshall University.

GO THUNDERING HERD!

GO THUNDERINGHERD!

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    Re: Meaning no disrespect
    « Reply #6 on: January 08, 2005, 09:23:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "carolinaherdfan"
    If they start having T-Herd games at 2:00 a.m., on Monday, I will be there.

Great.  Let's cater the games to fans like you and have 8,000 people in the stands...but it will be on television and we'll all admire your commitment.

Offline carolinaherdfan

love to support the herd
    « Reply #7 on: January 08, 2005, 10:39:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • CH/Fan say's GO HERD!

Any profit's we earn go to the BIG GREEN, AGREED!

GO THUNDERINGHERD!

Offline carolinaherdfan

love to support the herd
    « Reply #8 on: January 08, 2005, 11:38:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "OhYeaahMU"
    Win...and the seats will fill.  Sure, it would be awesome to sell out on a continual basis (and WE should sell out), but what is more important for Marshall's growth as a football program and as an institution in general?  The answer to this would be "NATIONAL PROMINENCE" and the only way to get this is by having people recognize who Marshall is.  Television is the way to do this.  Even if I can't make all the games because of the Thursday move, I prefer getting the Marshall name out.

Offline OhYeaahMU

• Junior Varsity
    love to support the herd
    « Reply #9 on: January 08, 2005, 11:54:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • HERDUSA, I agree that the school needs to greatly improve academically (and it is working on it of course).  However,  our graduates have some minor dilemmas when they have to leave the state to find jobs.  Ten years ago, people (for example in Baltimore, where my sister applied for a job and now works) thought Marshall was a small liberal arts school somewhere.  Now, the majority of people do not even ask her where (or what) Marshall is.  They say, "Oh Marshall. Ok"  They know where it is.  Do you think this got this way because of our stellar academic programs offered at MU?  Nope, it was because of our football studs and our television exposure as a result.  Our football team, as I think you would agree, is a recruiting tool for athletes as well as all students and faculty.  Florida State?  Excellent university?  Not exactly.  But you know all about it.  Virginia Tech?   Didn't used to be.  Football gave it the ability to improve.  

This is how Marshall, in my opinion, can do it.   TV is what works in America, and more exposure works for all aspects of the university.  With football (and other sport successes) comes growth academically.  I wish we could do it another way, such as work on academics first and then athletics.  But, we can't.  Our name doesn't have the state of West Virginia in it.  We have to get it out other ways.

Offline carolinaherdfan

national prominence
    « Reply #10 on: January 08, 2005, 11:58:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • WVU has no national prom.  In sincerity, when in other area's, the general public treats MU & WVU with the same indifference.  In Carolina, other than the the Greenville, NC area, WVU & MU are pretty much on an equal par.

In Greenville, this is the only area ECU is strong, otherwise MU has received stronger bowl game support, and better TV coverage.

WV would never believe this, but I live here, and I know.  The people have never forgotten 64-61 ot,ot..  The Herd has beaten Clemson, Carolina, and ECU.  WVU beats ECU, doesn't play Clemson, and lost to Carolina.  That is the way the millions of people see the situation in their heads in the Carolina's.  Also, they have no business playing Virginia, Maryland, or any Florida team.

GO THUNDERINGHERD!

HerdFans.com

national prominence
    « Reply #10 on: January 08, 2005, 11:58:01 PM »