Author Topic: Fox Sports Bowl Dud  (Read 2765 times)

Offline W0lfman

Fox Sports Bowl Dud
« on: January 05, 2005, 11:18:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not really fair to Goddard considering the kid was sick with the flu all week...

27. Marshall DE Johnathan Goddard — One of college football's most disruptive defensive players barely made a peep thanks to a veteran Cincinnati line that had a hat on him throughout the Fort Worth Bowl.

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3298604

HerdFans.com

Fox Sports Bowl Dud
    « on: January 05, 2005, 11:18:42 PM »

Offline Max

Fox Sports Bowl Dud
    « Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 08:04:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree, they need to give the kid a break.  He played hard all year long and had a tremendous senior year.

Offline Blade

I'm sure he'll remember this article...
    « Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 08:14:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • when he's a multi-millionaire.   :roll:

Offline dshoe

disagree
    « Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 09:50:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It was a fair assesment of the game............

why get so upset anytime someone in the media says something less than favorable about MU or a player..........

Goddard wasn't a factor in the game, and MU didn't show up.........fair points...........if we expect praise when deserved, then expect criticism when deserved

Offline W0lfman

Re: disagree
    « Reply #4 on: January 06, 2005, 10:08:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "dshoe"
    Goddard wasn't a factor in the game, and MU didn't show up.........fair points...........if we expect praise when deserved, then expect criticism when deserved
    Dont disagree at all with that point.  But why didnt Goddard show up in Dallas?  More than likely because he was weak and had been ill a few days leading up to the game.  The Fox writer could've at least mentioned that fact but they didn't.  And to me that wasn't being fair to the kid in my point of view.

Offline AmeriHerd

• Rookie
    Fox Sports Bowl Dud
    « Reply #5 on: January 06, 2005, 11:24:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Would it have been better if we didn't play JG?  Anyone think that we might have even done better?

Offline dshoe

on Goddard
    « Reply #6 on: January 06, 2005, 01:08:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I doubt if the writer even knew it.........doubt if he read Anthony's column in the HD or any MU fan boards..........

He watched the game or read the stats and gave a fair opinion.........besides, evey player has off games...........he didn't say anything about Goddard not being any good or make any references to his overall ability........

it was a fair quote

Offline Blade

Re: on Goddard
    « Reply #7 on: January 06, 2005, 01:32:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "dshoe"
    I doubt if the writer even knew it.........doubt if he read Anthony's column in the HD or any MU fan boards..........

He watched the game or read the stats and gave a fair opinion.........besides, evey player has off games...........he didn't say anything about Goddard not being any good or make any references to his overall ability........

it was a fair quote

Not sure how fair it was when he cited Cincinnati's veteran line as the reason for his performance.  If he didn't have all the facts, why did he pen that assumption?

I could accept that Marshall played poorly and that Goddard wasn't a factor if the writer had left it at that.

Offline dshoe

totally fair
    « Reply #8 on: January 07, 2005, 10:37:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • for anyone watching the game, it was a very fair comment...........

whose to say that it would have been any different a week later?

it was fair reporting on the game, simple as that.

As fans, we need to quit making excuses........everytime someone says or writes something less than flattering, too many people take offense and start making excuses...............it looks just like what it is, an excuse

Offline W0lfman

Fox Sports Bowl Dud
    « Reply #9 on: January 07, 2005, 11:06:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The veteren OL of Cincy having a hat on Goddard could have very well been the reason he didn't show up.  I, however, think it was more to do with his virus.  If thats an excuse....well then its a very good excuse.  The writer makes it sounds as if the Cincy OL was just to good for Goddard and we all know thats not true.  He had dominating performances over the past couple years against much better OL competition than Cincy had.  

whose to say that it would have been any different a week later?
    Me.  I've watched Goddard enough to know he is a much different player than what we all saw in Dallas.

Offline Blade

OK, I guess it's fair...
    « Reply #10 on: January 07, 2005, 11:45:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • if you believe that Cincy has a better defensive line than Ohio State or Georgia, or anyone we played for that matter.

It's fair if saying that Will Allen was the reason for shutting down Randy Moss in the Giants loss, forgeting to mention that Randy pulled his hamstring.

DShoe, I openly admit that we had our butts handed to us at the bowl game.  However, telling portions of the truth should not be allowed to go unnoticed.

98% right is still wrong.  Fair?  That's debatable.  Wrong?  Most probably.

Offline dshoe

you expect way too much
    « Reply #11 on: January 07, 2005, 02:23:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • when it comes to how people report on Marshall..........every nuance is overly scrutinized..........

a 6-5 MU team looses ugly to a 6-5 Cincy team and everyone wants the national media to "analyze" why this or that happened.........accept the fact that it was an ugly game, MU didn't show up, it was cold, and Cincy won.............and by the way, MU had NO stellar performances.......with the possible exception of Donte Newsome

any chance that Goddard just had a bad game, or perhaps the Offensive line did a good job on him.......my point is, don't be so sensitive..........anyway, enough on the subject.

HerdFans.com

you expect way too much
    « Reply #11 on: January 07, 2005, 02:23:16 PM »

Offline HERDUSA

• Rookie
    CONSIDER THE SOURCE
    « Reply #12 on: January 08, 2005, 11:59:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sportswriter or broadcaster

That says enough right there, just consider the source , generally one who did not play sports or was cut at some point due to the lack of athletic ability

HERDUSA

Offline carolinaherdfan

Consider the source
    « Reply #13 on: January 08, 2005, 10:07:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This man is too great, and did way too much for the T Herd this year to not cover his back.

He, played All-American football, for the T Herd this year, and he derserves our comming to his defense.

He, is an all-american; one of the greatest to ever play that position for the T Herd.  Its' time, we as fans, come to his back.  Jonathan,  we got your back.

GO THUNDERINGHERD!

HerdFans.com

Consider the source
    « Reply #13 on: January 08, 2005, 10:07:43 PM »