Author Topic: Marshall's "Spread" Offense?  (Read 1055 times)

Offline lexkyherdfan

• Benefactors of HerdFans
  • Heisman
  • GKI Member Since 02/2009
Re: Marshall's "Spread" Offense?
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2011, 11:30:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It doesn't matter BFOHIO....Yes there was a lot of drops and nobody said that BA wasn't fairly accurate at throwing the football. But he was horrible for Doc's "system". PERIOD!!!!

BG, actually what is Doc's system?  Just curious.  I remember Bill Legg specifically saying we wanted to be able to throw the ball around like back in the day of Leftwich and Pennington.  We ran a "spread" then just not with a running QB.  With BA that is what we should have done last year and we could have won more games had the WR caught the easy passes they dropped.

People can say what they want about Doc being in a WVU spread type offense but if they really look at where Doc has been and what they did it was more based on what the QB was able to do.  For example he was at WVU during years of different style of QBs whether they were drop back passers or QBs that moved around.  At Florida he was on a team that won a National Championship with a QB that did not run the ball (Leak).  Look at the stats as Leak was more of a Drop Back QB.  Tebow came in on and ran the ball.  Then he was there with Tebow that had a different style but threw it pretty well.  At NC State...the Qb was more of a pro style QB(see Phillip Rivers).  Doc has seen all types of passers and Petersen/Legg has as well.  It seems to me in the time that I spent with Holliday personally that we want to have a QB that can move but also be more of a passer.  We don't to sit back there and run a WVU style offense but have the option to throw in some QB runs.

If we do spend a ton of time on QB runs we better have a backup because our QB will get hurt.  I think our fans forget when we threw it a lot we actually ran the ball very well with our running game having more than 1k total or so.  We need to get back to that.  Having a QB like Graham that is tall, quick and can move would be perfect for us.  He can see over the line, has a good arm to make the throws and can mix in some read option.  Throw the ball for 3K and run for over 1k a year and we will win.  Our defense this coming year has a chance to be awesome!!!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2011, 11:30:05 AM »

Offline ought-three

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2011, 11:46:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Offensive progression
    1. Establish the line
    2. Establish the run
    3. Establish the pass

We are on #1 right now. Whatever happens, the QB is going to have to make plays with his feet until we get the first two well-established.

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2011, 12:24:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • then just play Booker at QB

Offline GreenBison60

• Heisman
    « Reply #28 on: April 01, 2011, 11:57:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yep the recievers did drop passes. But how many pick-6 did Anderson throw? And i'm not going to get into his personal life. But some act like he was a Pennington type student and mentally. Let's just say he had a problem and i know that for a fact. My last post about this.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2011, 11:57:16 PM »