Author Topic: From John Cougill / Ferrum  (Read 601 times)

Online bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
  • Assistant Coach
  • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
From John Cougill / Ferrum
« on: September 17, 2007, 03:12:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Got an e-mail today that I wanted to share with the Smokin' Thunder crew from John Cougill.  John was one of the guests from the 1968 Ferrum team who attended the Smokin Thunder tailgate this past week.  That team had seven transfers to Marshall who  were lost in the plane crash.  His message follows. Thanks so much to everyone for showing their hospitality:

I want to thank you and all the nice folks we met this past weekend at Marshall for the genuinely warm welcome you gave to all of us. It was a great weekend to be at such a wonderful place. It is easy to see why Marshall is such so special to so many. For about 25 years after the accident I thought about the tragedy every day. I personally had reservations about coming to Marshall. I had never been to the cemetery and seen the memorial. Having now been there I can see that we Ferrum guys or not alone in either our loss or our memory of that terrible event. While we were at the cemetery someone unknown to us who was a citizen from Huntington brought flowers and put them on the memorial. Candles were there from someone's recent visit. I couldn't help but notice the numbers of fans who were stopping to pay respect to the beautiful and moving memorial at the entrance of the stadium. All of these helped me understand that my friends that died that night are okay, that so many people will always remember the many lives that were cut short. It will always be a part of all of our lives and the best thing I can do is keep alive and clear in my mind the many memories I have of my teammates who perished.

HerdFans.com

« on: September 17, 2007, 03:12:11 PM »

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 03:22:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Man, that was powerful stuff.

Offline Blade

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 04:16:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Those guys were great!  It was like having family come home after 30 years!

Tell them not to be strangers and they will ALWAYS be welcome at the ST Tailgate!

Offline marshallisqbu

• All American
    • Member Since 01/2011
    « Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 04:33:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "Garbanjo"
    Man, that was powerful stuff.

You're not kidding.   :shock:

Sure got me teared up a little.

Offline HerdMan05

• Rookie
    « Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 05:18:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • bb,

It was truly our pleasure to meet these wonderful people.  All of them were great to talk with.  I only hope they left with a smile on their face and knowing they would always be welcome back to Huntington.

Offline TomorrowHERD

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 07:26:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • WOW!!! :shock:

"I am for a government that is rigorously frugal and simple. Were we directed from Washington when to sow, when to reap, we should soon want bread."
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
    "I predict future hapiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."-Thomas Jefferson
    http://www.cnmi-guide.com/ipg/islandlife/saipan2/

HerdFans.com

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 07:26:50 PM »