Author Topic: H-D: Snyder has decisions to make for Saturday's game  (Read 1103 times)

Offline ZackUSAF82

• Franchise Owner
  • Member Since 02/2009
H-D: Snyder has decisions to make for Saturday's game
« on: September 14, 2007, 06:12:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    HUNTINGTON -- Intriguing decisions abound this week for Mark Snyder.

Does Marshall University's football coach shut down Bernard Morris or allow his senior quarterback the option of playing? For the third straight season, Morris is slowed by turf toe, the hamstring equivalent of foot injuries. Time is the most effective rehab, meaning Snyder could opt for redshirt freshman Brian Anderson.

With Terrell Edwards eligible and practice-tested, should Snyder pull the true freshman's redshirt? Fellow newcomer Darius Marshall has provided depth alongside juniors Chubb Small and Kelvin Turner, but Edwards (6-foot-2, 205 pounds) offers the hammer missing from the Thundering Herd running game.

How liberal will Snyder and offensive coordinator Larry Kueck be in Saturday's playcalling? Road games against Big East overachiever Cincinnati and Conference USA rivals Memphis and Tulsa follow, and coaches normally guard against showing too much early.

The preceding serve as marquee storylines entering the Thundering Herd's home clash with New Hampshire. Marshall (0-2, 0-0 Conference USA) and the Wildcats (0-1, 0-1 Colonial Athletic Association) kick off at 4:30 p.m. at Joan C. Edwards Stadium. The game will not be televised.

Link: http://www.heralddispatch.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070914/SPORTS0301/709140382/1002/SPORTS
    GO HERD!!!

HerdFans.com

« on: September 14, 2007, 06:12:27 AM »

Offline marshall fanatic

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Hall of Famer
    • Member Since 02/2004
    « Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 10:11:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I say rest Bernie unless Anderson and Berdain can not get it done. Terrell Edwards should run the ball. He is the biggest RB we have and he is just as fast as Marshall.

Offline P'villeHERDfan

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 10:15:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I say play Anderson the whole game , Wes only if needed . I would let Edwards play also , running backs get injured all the time , I would rather burn Edwards redshirt now than 3/4 way thru the year .

Back to the QB , I hope whoever is in there , the ball gets thrown DOWNFIELD , not sideways . This game , in my opinion , would be a great for Anderson to get his feet wet . NH shouldn't be a problem and if its possible , I would like to see the score bet run up some . If the QB can throw the ball , throw the whole game regardless of the score.

Offline Thunders

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 10:40:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You are right. This sideline to sideline crap is getting old. Throw the freakin ball down the field. You don't have to bomb it every time but throw it in the middle of the field and not one yard past the line of scrimmage towards the sideline. I hate that freakin play Kueck calls and also that stupid bubble screen!!!  That play has not worked since Moss was here and yet they still use it.
    Yoda says:    Blow the Mountaineers do!!

Offline catbird70

• All American
    « Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 10:40:50 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "P'villeHERDfan"
    I say play Anderson the whole game , Wes only if needed . I would let Edwards play also , running backs get injured all the time , I would rather burn Edwards redshirt now than 3/4 way thru the year .

Back to the QB , I hope whoever is in there , the ball gets thrown DOWNFIELD , not sideways . This game , in my opinion , would be a great for Anderson to get his feet wet . NH shouldn't be a problem and if its possible , I would like to see the score bet run up some . If the QB can throw the ball , throw the whole game regardless of the score.

It seems that the coaches have several reasons to stick to a running game if we can control the game...one is...to get Anderson's feet wet slowly and let him get comfortable before opening it wide open....secondly...for the reason of not showing Cinncy and CUSA foes everything can do offensively....

On the other hand, its would be hard to tell Anderson to not throw once... he is a vertical player....if he starts looking around...he will automatically make reads and take whats given to him and go to the open man...which could be down field with Cody and Passmore out there creating lots of seperation....

you can only run so much...if coach started calling running plays on 3rd and long....the whole herd world would be pissed.

Offline HornsnHerd

• Rookie
    « Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 10:50:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I say sit Bernie to get him ready for Cincy. Use Terrell Edwards this weekend to hammer the UNH defense, used properly he can be very effective working with Darius Marshall. We'll need all the tools we can get against the Cincy defense.

Offline catbird70

• All American
    « Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 10:53:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Anderson is going to be in the game Saturday....this much is inevitable....

the questions coach should be asking...is..."do I want to start morris on saturday and have him almost for certain agrivate his toe and be starting over from square one with the healilng process next week?...and be looking at Anderson to play against NH and starting against Cinncy?  

or

Do I want to start Anderson against a 1AA team and there by let Morris rest for 2 weeks and have a chance that Morris can last the whole game against Cinncy...?

either way Anderson is going to play.....the question is....which one is better for Morris?

Offline Green Dog

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 11:08:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think the last thing on Snyders mind should be "showing" anybody anything.  This is a ridiculus thought at 0-2 again this year and 9-16 lifetime.

He needs only be concerned with a win this week. There is no holding back, we must have a win. We, along with Michigan and Notre Dame, are  the last three teams in the entire universe that should be thinking of holding back.

If Mr. Conservative loses this game by holding back.... I can't even let myself think this silly thought.  We must win this game!

Burn every red shirt and pull granny out of the stands if neccessary. We absolutely must win this game!

No more excuses. No more "Kid Gloves". (That was one of my favorite all time stupid comments from a coach.) Just win one.

Offline marshallsoccer

• Heisman
    « Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 11:35:00 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    You are right. This sideline to sideline crap is getting old. Throw the freakin ball down the field. You don't have to bomb it every time but throw it in the middle of the field and not one yard past the line of scrimmage towards the sideline. I hate that freakin play Kueck calls and also that stupid bubble screen!!! That play has not worked since Moss was here and yet they still use it.

We've thrown the ball down the field quite a bit this year, whenever we got the QB time.

The screens might not get yards, but sometimes they setup other things. They worked fairly well with Darius here, you need to get the screen to a guy that can make a player, or two miss, we have that with Marshall and Passmore.

Offline catbird70

• All American
    « Reply #9 on: September 14, 2007, 12:49:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • our down field passes have come on blown plays...improvisations by WRs and QB....They looked pretty but I dont want to have to depend on that stuff every game....I want solid planned down field attack....lets execute!!!!

Offline marshallsoccer

• Heisman
    « Reply #10 on: September 14, 2007, 12:50:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "catbird70"
    our down field passes have come on blown plays...improvisations by WRs and QB....They looked pretty but I dont want to have to depend on that stuff every game....I want solid planned down field attack....lets execute!!!!

The only downfield play I know that came of a busted play was Passmore's TD. Slate's catch to put us in FG range wasn't, Lauzon's over the middle wasn't, Edmonson against UM wasn't, etc

Offline catbird70

• All American
    « Reply #11 on: September 14, 2007, 01:10:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 2 big plays by Passmore were busts....

Slates TD was well executed.....

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2007, 01:10:29 PM »

Offline Thundering Accountant

• Varsity
    « Reply #12 on: September 14, 2007, 01:28:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Uh, the plays may have been a bust. But a long pass was still the play call.

Offline catbird70

• All American
    « Reply #13 on: September 14, 2007, 01:37:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "Young Herdman"
    Uh, the plays may have been a bust. But a long pass was still the play call.

wrong....

Offline catbird70

• All American
    « Reply #14 on: September 14, 2007, 01:41:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I do have to say though....Bernie spread it around pretty darn good.....EIGHT different receivers against the Queers...

Offline Thundering Accountant

• Varsity
    « Reply #15 on: September 14, 2007, 01:45:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Got proof catbird?

Offline catbird70

• All American
    « Reply #16 on: September 14, 2007, 01:48:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "Young Herdman"
    Got proof catbird?

proof of what....that the play wasnt a hail mary and that every WR wasnt sent long?  Bernie went through his reads pretty darn good that game....it wasnt a call for a long ball or nothing....what planet are you on?

Offline catfanatic1979

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2007, 08:41:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We used Marshall/Small for the same purposes on the feild and Kelvin Turner whenever we was backuped in our own territory and needed short yardage up the middle.

Turner was the up the gut guy and Small/Marshall played the speedy, smaller back with good hands role.

Just have Terrell take over Turner's job. We can alternate between Marshall and Edwards. Jojo Cox can battle for a spot next year if he ever has the grades.

Anderson should start and play the whole game barring too many interceptions. No doubt about it. Morris wont be with us next year anyways.

Offline catbird70

• All American
    « Reply #18 on: September 14, 2007, 09:11:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "catfanatic1979"
    We used Marshall/Small for the same purposes on the feild and Kelvin Turner whenever we was backuped in our own territory and needed short yardage up the middle.

Turner was the up the gut guy and Small/Marshall played the speedy, smaller back with good hands role.

Just have Terrell take over Turner's job. We can alternate between Marshall and Edwards. Jojo Cox can battle for a spot next year if he ever has the grades.

Anderson should start and play the whole game barring too many interceptions. No doubt about it. Morris wont be with us next year anyways.

I heard someone say that JoJo was a bigger Marshall...and just as fast....however I thought he was more of a smash mouth runner for short yardage situations....

Weve got some nice team speed right now...hopefully we can get some 4.4 guys in here at RB and WR....to really get to the top of CUSA....Isaiah Peade is still available...and is from Snyders old stomping groung....

Passmore will be a senior next year....so we need to score another deep threat.....I know Thompson is pretty fast...but if it would be nice to get that guy OJ Murdock in here...  Or even more importantly...Beckly, WV native Marquel Ali.....I think BP needs to make a recruitng trip before WV snatches him up.....

Offline ThunderValley

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2007, 09:26:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    to get Anderson's feet wet slowly and let him get comfortable before opening it wide open....secondly...for the reason of not showing Cinncy and CUSA foes everything can do offensively....

I can see getting his feet wet slowly. But"for the reason of not showing Cinncy and CUSA foes everything can do offensively.... "???
    He!!, everybody and his brother know our 3 plays, it is no secret :lol:

Offline catbird70

• All American
    « Reply #20 on: September 14, 2007, 10:42:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "ThunderValley"
    to get Anderson's feet wet slowly and let him get comfortable before opening it wide open....secondly...for the reason of not showing Cinncy and CUSA foes everything can do offensively....

I can see getting his feet wet slowly. But"for the reason of not showing Cinncy and CUSA foes everything can do offensively.... "???
    He!!, everybody and his brother know our 3 plays, it is no secret :lol:

Yeah, that was a regurgitation from Hanshew....i should have known better...

Offline HerdnClt

Burn every red shirt and pull granny out of the stands if ne
    « Reply #21 on: September 14, 2007, 10:49:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Exactly!  We need wins now.  Not losing to a Division 1 AA school. If the freshmen are the best players...Play them now..Maybe we get a shot at winning CUSA or at least a bowl!!The Herd needs a bowl now...
    "The Herd #1"

HerdFans.com

Burn every red shirt and pull granny out of the stands if ne
    « Reply #21 on: September 14, 2007, 10:49:56 PM »