Author Topic: WVU/maryland game  (Read 2212 times)

Offline marshall fanatic

• Benefactors of HerdFans
  • Hall of Famer
  • Member Since 02/2004
WVU/maryland game
« on: September 13, 2007, 10:14:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • watching this game it just shows you how far our team has come.

HerdFans.com

WVU/maryland game
    « on: September 13, 2007, 10:14:59 PM »

Offline McGuyver

Re: WVU/maryland game
    « Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 10:17:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "marshall fanatic"
    watching this game it just shows you how far our team has come.

I agree. The Terps only managing to score 7 pts?
    Well, there is 15:00 left...
    "It's tough for people to understand...but we play with twelve men."
    "And our twelfth man is those 75 people....something has given us the edge.
    You can't buy it or create it any other way."

-Nate Ruffin

Offline ThunderZone

WVU/maryland game
    « Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 11:11:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Folks, that should tell us all something about what exactly is going on here ...

MD's staff has been wearing out the phone lines to Snyder/ Dunlap/ Helton ("THE" video guy), etc. ...

"OUR" staff, showed a blue print to how to stop the "spread" running game ... Dunlap & Snyder had a great plan ... We just ran out of depth.

Eventually our staff told MD to look at the tape ... We have our own game to get ready for, we aren't paid to help you ... Do your own home work ... Yes, I'm paraphrasing, but you get the point ... That is pretty much what the MD staff was told.

I watched that game tonight and all I thought was ... Damn, we did better than that.

MD ... Did not match our game plan or scheme ...

We have a jewel in Dunlap ... Dunlap and Snyder working together is a good combo.

Offline magillathegorilla

• Rookie
    WVU/maryland game
    « Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 08:29:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • While the Mashall coaching staff did an excellent job of installing a gameplan and the players did a good job of executing it, I think you need to give credit where credit is due: Skip Holtz.

Over the last 3 years, ECU has done the best, most consistent job of stopping WVU. It is no secret that Dunlap's strategy was based on the info he got directly from Skip Holtz.

And as far as stopping WVU, yes MU did stop them...for a half. The defensive plan was successful for 2 quarters, and did not result in a victory. It resulted in a 25 point loss.

Offline Photo by

• Global Moderator
    • Hall of Famer
    WVU/maryland game
    « Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 08:35:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "magillathegorilla"
    While the Mashall coaching staff did an excellent job of installing a gameplan and the players did a good job of executing it, I think you need to give credit where credit is due: Skip Holtz....

I think they probably talked to several coaches, visited a couple, and watched tape for days. Then they looked at Marshall's personnel and developed a plan that gave them the best chance to win.

They had a good battle plan, just not enough soldiers in reserve.

"If you count victories in terms of perseverance, commitment, and determination our team went undefeated in ’71."
    ...Jack Lengyel

Offline musd

• Practice Squad
    WVU/maryland game
    « Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 08:59:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What it looked like to me was MD was so intent on running the ball it took them out of the game.  Yeah, their QB is iffy when passing, but that's how you attack the WVU D.  Holding that offense to 31 points isn't bad when you consider they didn't get much help from their own offense.  Same scenario as our game, but we petered out in thg 2nd half becuase of lack of offensive execution and a turnover that really killed the Herd, putting the D on the field for lengthy stretches against a run happy team.  Although I kind of wished we had just sold out to the run in the 2nd half when it was obvious WVU was going to start playing smashmouth by committing 8-9 in the box and therefore forcing White to be the hero or the goat with his arm.  But I'm just an armchair coach. ;-)
    "If it's Saturday, it must be ANOTHER Herd Victory"

Offline W0lfman

WVU/maryland game
    « Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 09:44:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Maybe Snyder should consider promoting Dunlap to associate head coach after this season?  Thoughts?

Another thing...the announcers said that Maryland had prepared for this game all summer and this was payback time for the ambush in mohole last year.

Offline Herd-nficent

WVU/maryland game
    « Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 09:52:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Forcing WVU to change their game plan was a major acomplishment.  Have we ever done that before?  Yes we lost on the score board but in my mind we won respect.
    "What we see depends on what we look for"

Offline Herd-nficent

WVU/maryland game
    « Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 09:54:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Addendum:  Have we ever done that before to WVU, I know we have done that to lower ranked schools in the past.
    "What we see depends on what we look for"

Offline catbird70

• All American
    WVU/maryland game
    « Reply #9 on: September 14, 2007, 10:46:40 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "W0lfman"
    Maybe Snyder should consider promoting Dunlap to associate head coach after this season?  Thoughts?

Another thing...the announcers said that Maryland had prepared for this game all summer and this was payback time for the ambush in mohole last year.

Yep....I agree....I was bring up Dunlap as capable of being a head coach immeditaly after the Miami game....despite the loss and relatively high scoring of the Miami offense....I thought our defense looked really good...It was clear to me that the offensive struggles were really what hurt our own defense....

BP was a DC before Marshall....so, I suspect, Dunlap will be on some short lists for head coach in the coming years....maybe he should be promoted now...

Offline mumatt

• Rookie
    WVU/maryland game
    « Reply #10 on: September 14, 2007, 10:48:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree that ECU started the trend, but USF had the horses to pull it off.  What they did was bring a "kill stunt" off the edge on almost every play- where you bring both the DE and OLB to the wide side of the field.  DE takes QB and OLB takes TB- it really stuffs that new fangled read play they do which is really and old school belly option out of a spread formation.  It leaves the play side seam wide open which is why reynaud has big games when folks do that.  We would have done alot of that but no Albert.............oh what may have been.  But we got em out of that and had them running QB sweeps like pat white was sammy baugh or something.

Offline MitchMU

• Rookie
    WVU/maryland game
    « Reply #11 on: September 14, 2007, 11:06:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think we need to set our standards a little higher than playing 2 good quarters of defense , at home, against a quality opponent.  In the 2nd half we knew they were gonna run and we could do nothing to stop it.   Lack of quality depth had nothing to do with the 1st or even 2nd drive WVU had in the 2nd half.

HerdFans.com

WVU/maryland game
    « Reply #11 on: September 14, 2007, 11:06:28 AM »

Offline magillathegorilla

• Rookie
    WVU/maryland game
    « Reply #12 on: September 14, 2007, 11:06:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Again, congratulations on forcing the WVU coaches to make adjustments, and change the game plan. But the end result was a loss. You have to be able to stop Plan A, and also stop Plan B. so far only USF, as you point out, has been able to slow WVU down AND beat them. Louisville didn't slow them down, they just outscored them.

Offline marshallsoccer

• Heisman
    WVU/maryland game
    « Reply #13 on: September 14, 2007, 11:37:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "MitchMU"
    I think we need to set our standards a little higher than playing 2 good quarters of defense , at home, against a quality opponent.  In the 2nd half we knew they were gonna run and we could do nothing to stop it.   Lack of quality depth had nothing to do with the 1st or even 2nd drive WVU had in the 2nd half.

The quality of depth is being refilled, since Pruett's last two recruiting classes were for the most part duds (barring a handful of starters).

Offline catbird70

• All American
    WVU/maryland game
    « Reply #14 on: September 14, 2007, 12:43:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "marshallsoccer"
    Quote from: "MitchMU"
    I think we need to set our standards a little higher than playing 2 good quarters of defense , at home, against a quality opponent.  In the 2nd half we knew they were gonna run and we could do nothing to stop it.   Lack of quality depth had nothing to do with the 1st or even 2nd drive WVU had in the 2nd half.

The quality of depth is being refilled, since Pruett's last two recruiting classes were for the most part duds (barring a handful of starters).

a handful of starts equates to a dud recruiting class????

Offline BHFIOHIO

And for the last
    « Reply #15 on: September 14, 2007, 01:14:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • (&%#$()# time for you Qu-eer admirers........it wasnt just a half......
    it wasn't even for only three quarters.......it was a 4 point game with 12
    minutes to go in the game.........at least get it right

WE ARE .......GONNA KICK THEIR (@/:; WHETHER YOU LIKE IT

OR NOT!

Offline Thundering Accountant

• Varsity
    WVU/maryland game
    « Reply #16 on: September 14, 2007, 01:30:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Catbird, Pruett may have hit on some pretty good starters, but the players that left, got kicked off the team and didn't qualify killed our teams depth.

He also recruited JUCO's more in his final years, also killing depth for this and last year.

Offline catbird70

• All American
    WVU/maryland game
    « Reply #17 on: September 14, 2007, 01:36:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "Young Herdman"
    Catbird, Pruett may have hit on some pretty good starters, but the players that left, got kicked off the team and didn't qualify killed our teams depth.

yeah like AB and Devine?Pruett even courted Brian Anderson....dont forget that.....Cann and Smith are Snyders only QB recruits that I know of.....

• Varsity
    WVU/maryland game
    « Reply #18 on: September 14, 2007, 01:47:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I didn't know Bradshaw was a back up?

Did you read my post? Work on your reading comprehension. I said his classes have not provided depth. They haven't.

Devine was a JUCO, proving my point about relying on JUCO's a little more.

Pruett courted Anderson, Snyder closed the deal. Don't see your point at all.

Online 2xBison

WVU/maryland game
    « Reply #19 on: September 14, 2007, 01:53:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Snyder signed Anderson.
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline catbird70

• All American
    WVU/maryland game
    « Reply #20 on: September 14, 2007, 01:56:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "2xBison"
    Snyder signed Anderson.

yes he did....after the switch of coaches...Snyder was able to retain that recruit that BP got to commit...I was pumped about Anderson from his Junior year on...Ive been waiting because this guy was always highly regarded....I hope he turns out to be as good as projected....

Although, now, thanks to Snyder, we have other options at QB at the same level of talent....

• Varsity
    WVU/maryland game
    « Reply #21 on: September 14, 2007, 01:59:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No, Anderson didn't commit to Pruett, he committed to Snyder. Anderson committed in the Summer of 2005, after Pruett had left. He didn't sign until Feb 2006. By the time he signed, Pruett hadn't been recruiting him for almost a year.

HerdFans.com

WVU/maryland game
    « Reply #21 on: September 14, 2007, 01:59:33 PM »

Offline marshallsoccer

• Heisman
    WVU/maryland game
    « Reply #22 on: September 14, 2007, 02:00:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Of the 8 high school defensive lineman Pruett recruited in 04 and 05, zero remain on the team. Of the 50 new counters available to us in 04 and 05, only 30 players remain. That's what kills our depth, I said he got us a few solid players (Albert, Zearrick, etc), but by and large his last two recruiting classes were awful and are the main reason for our lack of depth right now.

Offline Thundermonkey

• All American
    WVU/maryland game
    « Reply #23 on: September 14, 2007, 02:01:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'll be interested to see how WVU performs against a ranked team. I can say with a large degree of certainty that we did not play against the BCS Champs last Saturday.

That being said, Pat White is a player, the true MVP of that team. Steve Slaton is stronger than he looks. (I still think he's a wuss, remember Louisville '06)  Noel Devine is a freakish talent, don't know how he'll do over the long haul. The Owen Schmitt hype is absurd.   Darius Reynaud is under-rated.
    "Straight cash, homey."

RANDY MOSS

Offline catbird70

• All American
    WVU/maryland game
    « Reply #24 on: September 14, 2007, 02:04:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ok, Young Herd....

Assume you are in the right...which I dont think you are....but lets assume you are for the sake of arguement...which its obvious that agruements are your favorite thing.....

Assuming your right...whats your point?  That BP slacked his last few years and hurt us pretty bad?  OK, thats great....being honest about all our coaches ...being fair and balanced....BP was bad in the regard that he really slacked on recruting...cut corners, bailed on Marshall, etc.....

Meanwhile, Snyder has done great at recruitng, discipline, and not cutting corners....but instead....has made bone head coaching calls, acts like he doesnt know how to be a coach on the field...shows a vote of no confidence in his players and is a poor motivator, half time game plan adjuster, etc...

Since you want to slam BP lets just be negative witheverone and slash and burn all of our current and past coaches....sounds like fun to you im sure....have at it....

HerdFans.com

WVU/maryland game
    « Reply #24 on: September 14, 2007, 02:04:22 PM »