Author Topic: Stadium sound system!  (Read 1201 times)

Offline HERDFAN1999

Stadium sound system!
« on: September 10, 2007, 03:55:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sorry if there is a thread already but we have got to fix our stadium sound system!!!!  It was awful on Saturday.  I couldn't hear a thing all day.  A new sound system has to be a priority (I know, we have a lot of priorities).
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.  The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - - Thomas Jefferson

HerdFans.com

Stadium sound system!
    « on: September 10, 2007, 03:55:58 PM »

Offline phillyherdfan

Stadium sound system!
    « Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 10:36:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agreed.  It is terrible.

Another thing I noticed... that frankly in all my years going to games at the Joan I have never thought about:  People management when we're full is miserable.  Our concourses are too small to handle the crush of people we had there Saturday.  That, coupled with confused visitors trying to figure out how to get to the east stands from the west entrance = chaos.  

Our restrooms seemed to handle the people pretty well, I didn't notice too many backups there.  

Concessions need help... running out of items.. like water... is unacceptable on a day like Sat.  It's bottled water, and has a shelf life of 4-5 years... how in the h*ll do you run out?

All in all it was a great day... but we have some upgrades to do the next time around.

Philly

Offline herdvillle

• Junior Varsity
    Stadium sound system!
    « Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 10:41:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hate to say it but the concessions reminds me of Miami about 8 or 9 years ago.

First time the Herd went up there with a huge crowd, and they ran out of most items in second quarter.

Running out of water is unacceptable on a 95 degree day.

Offline Dreamherd

• Heisman
    Stadium sound system!
    « Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 11:45:49 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The saddest part of the Marshall game atmosphere is what occurs after plays.  Everytime it's please turn your attention to the jumbotron for this message from so and so landscaping or something.  At Miami they played music after plays and keep everyone having fun and excited in the stands.  This needs to change b/c along with the poor sound coming out it makes for a headache.  I don't care who does the landscaping.  Play hip-hop music or something.  Who is in control of the game atmosphere?

Online W0lfman

Stadium sound system!
    « Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 12:28:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree the concourse was a mess.  I had one earfan behind me talking to his buddy telling him how bush league it was.  I asked him what the problem was and he said this stadium is to small for 40,000 people.  I told him you cant wait 30 minutes before kickoff and try to get to your seat in time.  He said he was in line and hour and a half.  I told him that was bull %^&* because I was in line for only about 20 minutes and I was in front of him.  

Anyway the concourses can be fixed easily by just moving out the fence 10 or 15 feet closer to the parking lot.

Offline Reno Hightower

• Rookie
    Stadium sound system!
    « Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 12:43:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Good points.

Offline buckeyeherd

• Practice Squad
    Stadium sound system!
    « Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 03:09:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ya know what fellas,everyone of you are right,and I was in the mess as well,and couldn't agree more.
    You know what's a shame,the administration,or who ever is involved,won't listen to the fans that walk and stand in line at the game.
    The concourse,like someone said is an easy fix.
    GO HERD!!!

Offline Thundermonkey

• All American
    Stadium sound system!
    « Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 03:13:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    The saddest part of the Marshall game atmosphere is what occurs after plays. Everytime it's please turn your attention to the jumbotron for this message from so and so landscaping or something

I hate it too, but I assume its how we pay some bills.

Yes, concessions were insane, luckily I had several tailgate spots to mooch off of.
    "Straight cash, homey."

RANDY MOSS

Offline Olen

Stadium sound system!
    « Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 03:25:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There is a good reason why the concourses and concessions are overwhelmed with 40k+ in the stadium (or even 32k+) -- the concourses and concessions areas were designed to accommodate ~30k fans.  The last expansion (8k+ seats in the south end-zone) added seats only -- without amenities to go with that, any threat of filling seating capacity is going to tax the amenities offered.  

There is not a real great solution to the problem, either, since the area beneath the south end zone does not seem capable of housing concessions / amenities without significant work.  And, Marshall Un. runs out of property on that end.  

Wolf's suggestion of moving the fences back is something I suggested to my brother the other day -- makes sense and would appear to be a relatively easy remedy to over-crowding.  I'm not sure if an additional 20 feet of space is available, but if so, seems like a natural solution.

Offline greenanwhite

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Junior Varsity
    • Member Since 08/2013
    Stadium sound system!
    « Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 04:55:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree with everyone about saturday, and as someone said it is only designed for 30k people, not the extra 10k that were there saturday.  that being said, moving the fence out 20 ft would be a quick solution, but then you run into the problem of where do the people standing in line to get into the stadium have to go?  but i agree something needs to be done, and also having some kind of M.U fan center inside the concourse would be awesome, quite a few stadiums have them.

Offline herd1986

Stadium sound system!
    « Reply #10 on: September 11, 2007, 07:26:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "Dreamherd"
    The saddest part of the Marshall game atmosphere is what occurs after plays.  Everytime it's please turn your attention to the jumbotron for this message from so and so landscaping or something.  At Miami they played music after plays and keep everyone having fun and excited in the stands.  This needs to change b/c along with the poor sound coming out it makes for a headache.  I don't care who does the landscaping.  Play hip-hop music or something.  Who is in control of the game atmosphere?

I noticed this at the Miami game also.  What a huge difference in keeping the crowd pumped up and in making it difficult for the opposing team to think.

Offline AmeriKenny

• Junior Varsity
    Stadium sound system!
    « Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 02:32:02 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well people first of all shouldn't be crowding the concourse during the game--they should be in their seats supporting The Herd. Now during halftime and pre-game and post-game I understand. But with that said, unfortunately, I don't know if Marshall admins will ever care to expand the concourse area knowing that we are not gonna sell the place out until WVU visits us again. Also I don't know how much property the stadium owners have to deal with. I guess they would have to get closer to the parking lot on the west side and the soccer field on the east.

I have a big problem with the announcer. He sounds very very very very unenthusiastic. I think we could do a million times better than him. If I remember right, didn't we have a different announcer back in the Moss/Pennington days? For some reason he seemed to be better. Now we have a guy that sounds exactly like the guy from the Clear-Eyes commercials. Unacceptable when we are talking about making the place more entertaining.

And yes, the PA system has problems. The refs could not be heard at all.

HerdFans.com

Stadium sound system!
    « Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 02:32:02 AM »

Offline Olen

Stadium sound system!
    « Reply #12 on: September 12, 2007, 08:32:54 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "AmeriKenny"
    Well people first of all shouldn't be crowding the concourse during the game--they should be in their seats supporting The Herd. Now during halftime and pre-game and post-game I understand. But with that said, unfortunately, I don't know if Marshall admins will ever care to expand the concourse area knowing that we are not gonna sell the place out until WVU visits us again. Also I don't know how much property the stadium owners have to deal with. I guess they would have to get closer to the parking lot on the west side and the soccer field on the east.

I have a big problem with the announcer. He sounds very very very very unenthusiastic. I think we could do a million times better than him. If I remember right, didn't we have a different announcer back in the Moss/Pennington days? For some reason he seemed to be better. Now we have a guy that sounds exactly like the guy from the Clear-Eyes commercials. Unacceptable when we are talking about making the place more entertaining.

And yes, the PA system has problems. The refs could not be heard at all.

The announcer is the same announcer the university has used since the stadium opened in 1991.

Offline AmeriKenny

• Junior Varsity
    Stadium sound system!
    « Reply #13 on: September 12, 2007, 04:52:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well no wonder! He's gettin' old!!! He's not like weenie Vitale. He doesn't stay young..haha

Offline Pinkerton99

Stadium sound system!
    « Reply #14 on: September 12, 2007, 08:03:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A big part of the problem was caused by letting people in the wrong gate, then they got in the concourse and had to go around the stadium.  If they only let people in at the gate closest to their tickets, it would have helped a lot.
    Note: I'm not Eric Pinkerton.

HerdFans.com

Stadium sound system!
    « Reply #14 on: September 12, 2007, 08:03:08 PM »