Author Topic: 2nd half adjustments 2ND HALF ADJUSTMENTS  (Read 1080 times)

Offline DJdaHERDfan

2nd half adjustments 2ND HALF ADJUSTMENTS
« on: September 10, 2007, 11:15:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • To me, this is the major key to the success of our season

If Snyder and coaching company copntinue to get out coached in the second half, the Herd will have a hard time winning enough games for post season play.

If Snyder can get some breaks and make some really good second half adjustments, the HERD has a chance to go bowling.

My point is that every game from here on out will be a tight contested game and Snyder will need to really put in some coaching time for making second half adjustments.

Note to Coach Snyder:
    2ND HALF ADJUSTMENTS NEED TO BE BETTER
    IT'S TAILGATING SEASON!

HerdFans.com

« on: September 10, 2007, 11:15:06 AM »

Offline fullboat

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 11:18:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They made adjustments and we stood there and didn't change a thing in the 2nd half.  Great gameplan for the game.......terrible adjusting as the game went on.

Online marshallmark

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 11:19:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "fullboat"
    They made adjustments and we stood there and didn't change a thing in the 2nd half.  Great gameplan for the game.......terrible adjusting as the game went on.

You're right.  We should have "adjusted" or DL to add 25+ lbs to each of them.
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

Offline DJdaHERDfan

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 11:33:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • come on mark, you know that isnt possible.
    But what is possible is that he could have used stunts, different blitz packages and show a 8 in the box then slip back into a zone type of coverage.

We did absolutely nothing different.
    We knew they would wear us down and we did nothing different.

You use the talent you have and make something work.
    That is what good coaches do.
    You dont just sit back and watch your defense get wore down with the same old play after play. That is what us fans do.

In the second half, they knew that WVU would be thowing the ball for their second half adjustments. Why? Because MU had stuffed the run. So what MU should have done was to go into a nickel/zone type coverage with blitzing corners, until WVU went back to their running game.
    jmo
    IT'S TAILGATING SEASON!

Offline marshallsoccer

• Heisman
    « Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 11:51:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "DJdaHERDfan"
    In the second half, they knew that WVU would be thowing the ball for their second half adjustments. Why? Because MU had stuffed the run. So what MU should have done was to go into a nickel/zone type coverage with blitzing corners, until WVU went back to their running game.
    jmo

they had 8 pass attempts the entire 2nd half.

Offline DJdaHERDfan

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 11:57:50 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was talking about being in a halftime situation thinking what are they gonna do.

Had MU come out and showed a zone type coverage or a DIFFERENT LOOK.
    It would have kept WVU second guessing themselves

jmo

Thanks for pointing that out though.

How many of those 8 passes were for positve yards? TDS?
    IT'S TAILGATING SEASON!

Offline marshallsoccer

• Heisman
    « Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 12:03:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Actually, looks like I was one off, they attempted 7 passes:

screen to reynaud - 8 yards
    inc
    screen to reynaud - 6
    slant to reynaud - 24
    screen to reynaud - 23
    inc
    screen to owen - 16

one of them was for a td.

Offline catbird70

• All American
    « Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 12:18:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "DJdaHERDfan"
    I was talking about being in a halftime situation thinking what are they gonna do.

Had MU come out and showed a zone type coverage or a DIFFERENT LOOK.
    It would have kept WVU second guessing themselves

I see what your saying....valid point being...that just coming out doing SOMETHING different regardless of what it was....woudl have 1- kept WVU guessing 2- it would have shown us that Snyder was trying to do something about the situation and was being a mentally active coach.

Offline garthman

• Rookie
    « Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 12:36:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Finally, someone else who is able to objectively talk about football.  

Most of the people here are so blinded by the "I'm a Marshall Fan, I love everything about us, our coaches are awesome and we never make mistakes, we just get outplayed because we're such an overlooked school....wah, wah, wah" mentality, that they aren't able to see good football or talk about it when it involves Marshall.

Snyder definitely got outcoached on Saturday.  And what was worse, was that he found some things that worked, and just didn't keep using them.  

Thank you DJdaHerdfan for your views!  I agree.

Offline Thundering Accountant

• Varsity
    « Reply #9 on: September 10, 2007, 12:40:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Why would we need to adjust? We held one of the best offenses in America to SIX first half points? How can we make a halftime adjustment if it isn't our turn to make a countermove?

BTW, our offense did adjust. Our offense was moving the ball at will on them in the second half. We just made a couple mistakes that killed the drives.

How many teams with a former TE, two true Freshmen, a RS freshmen, a former LB with one hand, and two undersized d-linemen would have kept WVU in check all day?

Online svherd

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 12:48:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't understand why we didn't use the fullback more for blocking. Each time we had the FB in there, we got good yardage on the runs. Helps for pass protection too.
    Also, the D should have blitzed more in the 3rd QTr. I thought Dunlap had an aggressive scheme. From the mid 3rd Qtr. on, we just waited for them to come to us. Blitzing is a gamble, but we needed to get into thier backfield to disrupt the play.

I still feel we are way to conservative on offense. I am beginning to think Snyder is all about Buckeye ball. Hope not.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

• Varsity
    « Reply #11 on: September 10, 2007, 12:54:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We ran 32 pass plays and 32 running plays. I don't know about you, but I like a balanced offense.

SV, did you or do you want Skinner or Morris throwing the ball 50 times a game with a back like Bradshaw?

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2007, 12:54:28 PM »

Offline catbird70

• All American
    « Reply #12 on: September 10, 2007, 01:02:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "Young Herdman"
    Why would we need to adjust? We held one of the best offenses in America to SIX first half points? How can we make a halftime adjustment if it isn't our turn to make a countermove?

BTW, our offense did adjust. Our offense was moving the ball at will on them in the second half. We just made a couple mistakes that killed the drives.

How many teams with a former TE, two true Freshmen, a RS freshmen, a former LB with one hand, and two undersized d-linemen would have kept WVU in check all day?

possibly comeing out with the same thing...just disgusied in a new way....

But certainly after the first 2 drives everyone saw that the were packing it in and smash mouthing us mean while we were still stretch laterally to defend the spread....why didnt we pack it in more?  AGain, I dont think we would have won...and we were very tired...but the adjustment would have been prudent..

• Varsity
    « Reply #13 on: September 10, 2007, 01:09:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

If Snyder would have said that or said anything close to that in the post game press conference, you would have blasted him unmercifully.

But certainly after the first 2 drives everyone saw that the were packing it in and smash mouthing us mean while we were still stretch laterally to defend the spread....why didnt we pack it in more? AGain, I dont think we would have won...and we were very tired...but the adjustment would have been prudent..

You said coming out in the same defense but disguised differently would have changed things. Then you say our defense didn't get the job done because it was spread too much. What did you want? The same defense with a different look or a new defense all together?

Offline catbird70

• All American
    « Reply #14 on: September 10, 2007, 01:23:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "Young Herdman"

If Snyder would have said that or said anything close to that in the post game press conference, you would have blasted him unmercifully.

But certainly after the first 2 drives everyone saw that the were packing it in and smash mouthing us mean while we were still stretch laterally to defend the spread....why didnt we pack it in more? AGain, I dont think we would have won...and we were very tired...but the adjustment would have been prudent..

You said coming out in the same defense but disguised differently would have changed things. Then you say our defense didn't get the job done because it was spread too much. What did you want? The same defense with a different look or a new defense all together?

DJ was simply saying that disguises make things look different....and keeps the offense guessing....and I agree....

No real adjustments could have been made until we saw that WVU abandoned their spread offense.  Which didnt take long to change.  At that point, we shouuld have packed it in more possibley

• Varsity
    « Reply #15 on: September 10, 2007, 01:31:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    DJ was simply saying that disguises make things look different

Thanks, I didn't know that.

No real adjustments could have been made until we saw that WVU abandoned their spread offense. Which didnt take long to change. At that point, we shouuld have packed it in more possibley

So, we were supposed to wait and see how their offense was going to change and then play the same defense but make it look different? If WVU came out throwing, would disguising our 8 men in the box defense still be effective? No. Masking our defense wasn't going to change anything. If this disguise defense works so well, why didn't the grand genuis Bobby Pruett run it against Michigan St, Toledo or Virginia Tech?

We were just didn't have the horses. No amazing defensive scheme was going to change that. Face up to the reality.

Offline muherd

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2007, 02:02:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just a guess but we looked a little slower too the 2nd half, if anything I feel a lot better about conference play.  I personally didn't even know if we would score, we're young and getting faster.  Snyder wasn't a head coach when we hired him hopefully he can learn from his mistakes.  Now lets get ready to go bowling because I think we are headed in the right direction---lets go Herd!!!

Offline herdman

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2007, 02:05:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Another Bob Pruett bash for no reason.

Offline HERDFAN1999

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2007, 02:20:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How do you guys know we didn't make adjustments?  Were you in the locker room?  Did Snyder or Dunlap say we didn't adjust anything at all?  Based upon the first half did we need to or would they need to see what Rod came out with in the 2nd to make the adjustments?  I saw several different defensive formations.  Don't you think Dunlap is a good enough defensive coordinator to "adjust" when necessary?  Good grief, some of you with the biggest mouths don't know jack about football.  We got ran on in the 2nd half because we played the best running attack in the Nation and our guys simply got wore down.  We couldn't rotate enough fresh guys in like USF was able to last year.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.  The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - - Thomas Jefferson

HerdFans.com

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2007, 02:20:23 PM »