Author Topic: Gazette: Did WVU really get Marshall’s best shot?  (Read 582 times)

Offline ZackUSAF82

• Franchise Owner
  • Member Since 02/2009
Gazette: Did WVU really get Marshall’s best shot?
« on: September 10, 2007, 06:38:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    By Doug Smock
    Staff writer

MARSHALL COACHES did, in many aspects, an admirable job against third-ranked West Virginia, making Mountaineer fans sweat a little harder for three quarters in the hot sun.

Still, coach Mark Snyder is taking heat for his game management, again. He went behind the woodshed of at least one national analyst.

Mel Kiper Jr., if you’re wondering. It’s sort of blind luck that I heard it, as 99.9 percent of my radio listening occurs on the road.

As those watching the game might guess, Kiper teed off on Snyder for settling for a field goal instead of taking a few shots to the end zone from the 10-yard line with 20 seconds left and one timeout available. Marshall was up 10-6 and took a 13-6 halftime lead.

“I wanted to get points,” Snyder said. “The way the defense was playing, I really thought it was going to be a low-scoring game. And every point we could get, at that point in my mind, I thought that might be the difference in the game.”

After gushing over WVU’s 42-point second half later that evening, Kiper criticized Snyder, saying you couldn’t assume the Thundering Herd’s defense could contain the Mountaineers for the entire game. It was a valid point — does anyone expect Pat McAfee to punt six times in a half again? Against anyone?

Link: http://wvgazette.com/section/Sports/Marshall/2007090918
    GO HERD!!!

HerdFans.com

« on: September 10, 2007, 06:38:30 AM »

Offline marshall fanatic

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Hall of Famer
    • Member Since 02/2004
    « Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 06:52:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Does anyone really care what Kiper says? Half the time his draft day analisys is way off base. He was upset at the Texans for taking Williams and the guy had two sacks yesterday. How many times has he said that a certain QB would be a stud in the NFL and flopped.

Offline catbird70

• All American
    « Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 07:05:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You know....Its funny that that article came out today.  I thought the 3 points was a decent move initially.  But after thinking about it more last night....it seems like a move of someone who is scared....possibly the move from the Tressel ball school of thought...possibly a move of someone who doesnt put much stock or faith in the offensive side of the game.  It certainly could send a signal to the QB and the rest of the offense that the coach doesnt believe in them.  Also, BM is the kind of QB that has to get in a rythem..not a cerebral QB...instead he has to feel it.....and for once he was REALLY feellinig it...maybe we shouldnt have called off the dogs on the offense just to get 3 points...Under BP...if you went down the field 4 or 5 times and came back everytime with only 3 points...he would probably tell you that a team like Marshall has to get in the endzone some of those times to have a chance. most of the time.

On the other side of the coin...it would have sucked to go in at half time with no points on the board...the 3 points gave us more locker room confidence.

I guess there is a chance we should have tried to get in the endzone and waiting to kick on a 4th down.  Running the ball to the center of the field just before half time...just to line it up an kick it...is something I have NEVER seen before in college football EXCEPT at the end of the game....its a end of the game move like we did down at Clemson...or was it South Carolina?

I dont know....right or wrong...but it looked like a good move at the time...but to me...after thinking about it ...right or wrong...it doesnt look as attractive of a call as it did durning the game..

Offline catbird70

• All American
    « Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 07:10:36 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I also think that Marshall shouldnt have been benched...

Offline catbird70

• All American
    « Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 07:21:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • "Improvisation led to Morris' 38-yard scoring pass to Passmore. He scrambled, toed the line of scrimmage and fired to the back of the end zone to the diving junior wideout."

Yeah, I agree here....that TD was AWESOME.  ANd it was all thanks to improv by BM....he literally made that play happen.  Not to take away from Passmore.  Nobody else on our team probably would have caught that pass.  But BM was looking good.

My only concern is turf toe.  Once it rears its ugly head, particularly at the beginning of the sseason, you can expect it to come on the rest of the season.  I suspect that the turf toe will more than likely catch up with BM this year....so Anderson has to be ready because I predict he will start at some point due to this nagging injury.  It never went away for Zeroue.

Offline Swami Sam

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 07:27:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I assume Snyder didn't think WVU was going to make any adjustments  at halftime?

Offline phillyherdfan

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 08:21:42 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think the simple answer is this:  When you are playing above yourself (as anyone who has watched us the past few seasons would certainly agree we were), have the momentum (as we did), you have a timeout (we had 1), and you're playing the number 3 ranked team... you take a few shots... period.

I feel Snyder had/has a lack of trust in the offense (QB?) that led to the decision.  Someone said it may have been backlash from K-State... to that I respond:  that was the end of the game, this was the end of the 1st half... a bad outcome, does NOT have the same affect.

It was a safe decision that got us points.  But, a well placed fade or two may have delivered a TD.

Philly

Offline svherd

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 09:53:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I love Mark Snyder, he will get it done, and done right. But to think we could contain them the whole game without the O scoring more points is pretty stupid. :shock:

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline Peter Griffin

• Varsity
    « Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 10:36:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You know, there is really no way for Coach Snyder to win, if MU had gone for the TD and not gotten it and time had run out, then Snyder would have been critized for not going for the fieldgoal.  It would be the whole K-state thing again.  I feel he did the right thing in getting points on the board and going into half-time with a larger lead and momentum.  at the time it seems a good move.

Offline HERDFAN1999

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2007, 10:42:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "svherd"
    I love Mark Snyder, he will get it done, and done right. But to think we could contain them the whole game without the O scoring more points is pretty stupid. :shock:

Why is it stupid?  It worked for USF last year and it worked for almost 3 full quarters for us.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.  The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - - Thomas Jefferson

Offline catbird70

• All American
    « Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 10:45:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "HERDFAN1999"
    Quote from: "svherd"
    I love Mark Snyder, he will get it done, and done right. But to think we could contain them the whole game without the O scoring more points is pretty stupid. :shock:

Why is it stupid?  It worked for USF last year and it worked for almost 3 full quarters for us.

Exactly....it could have been the right move....last week we had 4 interceptions...it is what it is....thats a fact....so of course he is going to take are history of turnovers in to consideration...thats probably a smart idea to consider ...and to know our abilities based on what we did the week before....

Offline herdgameplan

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2007, 04:00:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Game management was poor in this instance.....we wasted an opportunity!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2007, 04:00:54 PM »

Offline slither

• Rookie
    « Reply #12 on: September 10, 2007, 05:18:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Did uspam get Marshall's best shot?  NO, The Herd is still a year away.  I feel the Herd has improved the most as compared to wvu over the past year.  Marshall is in a rebuild state since Pruett left us high and dry.  Snyder is getting things done the right way.  Yea, we may question a play call here or there, but down the road we will see the difference.  You can see the arsenal that we are amassing now.  Only a mountainqueer would consider this the Herd's best shot.   GO HERD!

Offline Thunders

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2007, 09:23:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree he should have at least taken a shot. Tell BM that if it is not there throw it away and we will kick the FG. If he hits a guy at the one call timeout and set it up for a run or a quick pass.  You get a TD you go into the half with HUGE confidence coming out of the half.
    Yoda says:    Blow the Mountaineers do!!

Offline Chevy1

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2007, 09:50:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "svherd"

How much longer will it take to get it "done right" instead of just plain old "gettin' it done"?
    "The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

HerdFans.com

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2007, 09:50:04 PM »