Author Topic: Does the game cancellation press release wording seem odd to anyone else?  (Read 698 times)

Offline puma

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Friday's Marshall-Charlotte football game has been canceled due to injuries and a lack of available Thundering Herd scholarship student-athletes at key positions. This shortage has been exacerbated by a small number of COVID-19 issues.

I just read the official statement from Athletics and it just seems kind of strange.

Covid sounds like a secondary problem. Why would Charlotte care about injuries or a lack of depth on the bench? And is it injures and a lack of scholarship athletes or injuries causing a lack of athletes? Are there injuries plus some kind of eligibility problem with players?

The wording just seems off for an official release.

The following users thanked this post: DC01HERD, parshall2marshall, MUsince96

HerdFans.com

Offline marshallmark

Re: Does the game cancellation press release wording seem odd to anyone else?
    « Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 02:47:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Friday's Marshall-Charlotte football game has been canceled due to injuries and a lack of available Thundering Herd scholarship student-athletes at key positions. This shortage has been exacerbated by a small number of COVID-19 issues.

I just read the official statement from Athletics and it just seems kind of strange.

Covid sounds like a secondary problem. Why would Charlotte care about injuries or a lack of depth on the bench? And is it injures and a lack of scholarship athletes or injuries causing a lack of athletes? Are there injuries plus some kind of eligibility problem with players?

The wording just seems off for an official release.

I thought that, as well.  No one cancels a game due to injuries.
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: ed swain

Offline THECHAMPISHERE

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 03:00:47 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • It's obviously Covid. And I heard from someone they've had guys here and there out with covid all season. They just keep it a secret.

We currently have the saddest, least genuine, most secretive, easily offended, blackballing, buddy buddy, cover your butt and cover his butt, propaganda pushing, bunch of sissies running the football program in Marshall Football history.

Them dancing around the Covid issue just makes them look bad/worse.

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 03:01:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You will never know from this staff and administration. Just show up when we take the field and cheer otherwise keep your ears and mouth shut. We don’t need to know anything about this program except game day.

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2020, 03:02:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My understanding is that having been found unresponsive and without a pulse after choking on Rice the team has been placed on death watch.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, ed swain

Offline puma

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2020, 03:08:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I just don't understand why they wouldn't blame it on covid and be done with it. It's not like there's an audit or a 3rd party looking over their shoulder. It's what every other team is doing.

It just seems weird to mention injuries and a lack of scholarship student athletes first and as two separate things. And then mention covid as a secondary problem with a "small number" qualifier.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline HuntersvilleHerd

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2020, 03:08:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What a cluster...
    « Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 03:50:44 PM by HuntersvilleHerd »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, herdorbust

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2020, 03:10:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It's obviously Covid. And I heard from someone they've had guys here and there out with covid all season. They just keep it a secret.

We currently have the saddest, least genuine, most secretive, easily offended, blackballing, buddy buddy, cover your butt and cover his butt, propaganda pushing, bunch of sissies running the football program in Marshall Football history.

Them dancing around the Covid issue just makes them look bad/worse.
    I can assure you we have had a couple of players out for virtually every game with covid issues
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: THECHAMPISHERE

Offline Thundering In MD

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2020, 03:32:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Didn’t FAU suck it up and play while they still had key positions out?  Very poorly worded release.
    Twitter:  @ThunderingInMD

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, ed swain

Online coalherd

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2020, 03:46:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Umm, another muddled and ambiguous release from the Athletic Department that results in more questions than it provides answers.  Just par for the course, IMO!

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2020, 03:47:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Didn’t FAU suck it up and play while they still had key positions out?  Very poorly worded release.

Yep!!!

Offline HerdBlizz

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2020, 03:55:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think the team is short on tampons

The following users thanked this post: Herdmeister

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2020, 03:55:31 PM »

Offline whf

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2020, 04:51:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
    We did too, last week against Rice. I will forever believe that was to get us to within one conference game of FAU; otherwise they would have won the east if we both had only one loss and they had two more games than us.

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2020, 05:35:45 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • We did too, last week against Rice. I will forever believe that was to get us to within one conference game of FAU; otherwise they would have won the east if we both had only one loss and they had two more games than us.

Josh Ball was injured.  We were without a 2nd string rb who gets 5 carries a game and a OT.  We lost because they were better than us. 

The following users thanked this post: ThunderValley, The E-Man, herdorbust

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #14 on: December 09, 2020, 05:41:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Josh Ball was injured.  We were without a 2nd string rb who gets 5 carries a game and a OT.  We lost because they were better than us.

We have much better talent than Rice

We lost because of Doc, as usual in important games

Go Herd!

The following users thanked this post: wasbarryb, The E-Man

Online Herdalum83

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2020, 05:47:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm seeing posts that some of the injuries occured in an after practice brawl between players in the locker room. Saw several people post this on Facebook including the father of a former MU athlete. Anyone know of any truth to this?

Offline puma

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2020, 05:57:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm seeing posts that some of the injuries occured in an after practice brawl between players in the locker room. Saw several people post this on Facebook including the father of a former MU athlete. Anyone know of any truth to this?

I haven't heard anything about a fight but from the language of the release, it sounds like there was something else going on in addition to Covid and injuries.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2020, 05:57:35 PM »