Author Topic: It’s nice playing an opponent with a fanbase that cares  (Read 641 times)

Offline coloradoherd

It’s nice playing an opponent with a fanbase that cares
« on: September 20, 2020, 05:33:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Had a brief look at an Appy message board. They had a game thread longer than ours with a lot of people contributing. Big contrast to a lot of our conference foes.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995

HerdFans.com

It’s nice playing an opponent with a fanbase that cares
    « on: September 20, 2020, 05:33:31 AM »

Offline herd2win

Re: It’s nice playing an opponent with a fanbase that cares
    « Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 07:08:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A few things became very clear to me yesterday that I already believed.

-It is clearly time to get back to regional conferences.  The fan bases travel and it creates a much better rivalry.

-Appy fans were very classy and fun.  Everyone from Appy I ran into were extremely nice and complimentary and were glad to be playing MU again.

-I believe the refs wanted their faces on national TV as they threw a million flags on both teams.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, Johns1124, herd_67

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 07:17:02 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I spoke to a number of Appy State fans and they were very nice. I wish we could play more regional teams where the fanbase would travel. Even though the stadium was at 1/3 capacity, it was extremely vibrant. That was due to the fact there were fans from both schools whooping it up for their respective team. Can't imagine what it would have been like had there been 25,000 or more at the game.

Offline HaveUherd

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2020, 07:29:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I just looked at one their boards. Many of them think it was a disaster and seemingly think of themselves as an elite team that should never lose to “a team like Marshall”. Wow they got the big head rather quickly lol.

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

Offline herdfan429

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2020, 07:32:59 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]1
  • I just looked at one their boards. Many of them think it was a disaster and seemingly think of themselves as an elite team that should never lose to “a team like Marshall”. Wow they got the big head rather quickly lol.

Hmm So basically Marshall fans 20 years ago

The following users thanked this post: 2xBison, wasbarryb, MU@el1919, GreenWhite

Online Scottyo614

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2020, 07:57:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Heck this past few weeks with Marshall/App/Charlotte had more fire than anything we’ve seen in our current conference. We needed this.

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man, herd_67, MUonium

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2020, 08:05:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I find myself wondering if they think the same of us.

Ours and Appy's history are so similar and so linked we should be playing each other frequently for years to come.

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2020, 08:14:20 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • I find myself wondering if they think the same of us.

Ours and Appy's history are so similar and so linked we should be playing each other frequently for years to come.
    Agree. These type of regional games need to happen more often, especially a team like Appy State.

Offline puma

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2020, 08:31:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'd kill for a real rivalry. WKU, MTSU, Charlotte, and FAU do absolutely nothing for me. Appy fans expect a lot and have every right to be pissed. And Marshall fans should feel good and gloat. It was a solid win. This kind of stuff is what makes college football great.

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man, herd_67, MUonium, GreenDaddy

Offline MUsince96

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2020, 09:38:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agreed. I wish this was an every year conference match up. It's just fun playing teams who care and show up. That game had a big time feel.

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man, MUonium, GreenDaddy

Online MU93

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2020, 09:53:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I had the same thoughts and made the comment to my party it’s nice to play a team with fans that actually cared...

I guess we had the one App state fan that was a jerk right in front of us that got a visit from Huntington’s finest...   here’s the kicker, they were from Charleston.  During sweet Caroline they shouted ‘eat sh&$ Pitt’...  I’ll let you draw your own conclusions on that fact.

The following users thanked this post: MUonium

Online GreenDaddy

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2020, 09:58:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'd kill for a real rivalry. WKU, MTSU, Charlotte, and FAU do absolutely nothing for me. Appy fans expect a lot and have every right to be pissed. And Marshall fans should feel good and gloat. It was a solid win. This kind of stuff is what makes college football great.

It’s kind of like we finally got to hang out with our old best friend that we actually enjoy being around. Now we have to go back to playing with the kids our mom forces us to hang around with lol.

The following users thanked this post: goherd50, MUsince96, MUonium

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2020, 09:58:17 AM »

Offline whf

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2020, 10:06:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You could feel the difference in the fans/stands; a real rivalry rekindled; we remembered because we're desiring something different than what we have.  But they, too, had to get serious about playing the likes of UL-Monroe, South Alabama, Coastal Carolina, etc. 

My point is that I'm learning to make C-USA better,we have to care more about it.  We're most likely going no where. I want to feel excited when Rice comes to town so I have to be excited myself. I can't expect Rice to do that for me, or the conference. I have to be excited about MU playing, no matter who the opponent is.  We can mourn or build, it is time we build IMHO.  Yesterday proved it can be exciting and fun, the work getting it back to there is up to me, and all of us.  Same team took the field against Appy State as took the field against EKU, and will take the field against WKU in three weeks.  Every Play , Every Day.

Offline svherd

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2020, 11:31:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I’ve been saying it now for a while, a regional league would help us and many schools in numerous ways. It needs to be done.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: wasbarryb, MUsince96, herdfan129

Offline MUonium

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2020, 11:55:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Herd and Mountaineers are a great fit.  hard to say what the future holds but i'll believe another major realignment when i see it.  good to see them on future schedules and that needs to continue as much as possible.  can't argue against the AD for recent and future scheduling overall, it's struck an excellent balance and must continue

The following users thanked this post: whf

Offline whf

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2020, 11:59:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Herd and Mountaineers are a great fit.  hard to say what the future holds but i'll believe another major realignment when i see it.  good to see them on future schedules and that needs to continue as much as possible.  can't argue against the AD for recent and future scheduling overall, it's struck an excellent balance and must continue
    IMHO, G5's top 40 need to routinely schedule each other in OOC games every year.

Online coalherd

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2020, 03:23:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My 2 cents on some of the above.

Herd needs to exploit this win in certain areas like recruiting.  Greater Charlotte area is pretty talent rich and certainly we are fairly well known around there; lots of HERD alums and WV natives in that area, and around the Carolinas in general.  Appy recruits that area and a lot of other areas that MU does, or use to, like Georgia, Tennessee. Doc just doesn't need to screw the pooch by losing too many more games against Charlotte!

As for puma's comment about certain teams don't do much for him.  Well, you have to look at other sports as well, not just football.  Certainly, MTSU, Charlotte and WKU bring more to the table, and get HERD fans interest, than does App State in the round ball sport!  To me, nothing gets the blood pumping better than whipping those Red snot rag waving yahoos down in Bowling Green, no matter what the sport!!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2020, 03:23:23 PM »