Author Topic: Appy vs Charlotte  (Read 857 times)

Offline herdfifteen

Appy vs Charlotte
« on: September 12, 2020, 03:05:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Great game. Appy up 28 - 20.

The following users thanked this post: MicDrass1

HerdFans.com

Appy vs Charlotte
    « on: September 12, 2020, 03:05:04 PM »

Offline puma

Re: Appy vs Charlotte
    « Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 03:07:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It's way more competitive than I was expecting. I knew Appy would be a handful but Charlotte is going to be tough too. I think the conference slate is going to very tough, especially if UAB replaces Rice on the schedule.

The following users thanked this post: Johns1124, The E-Man, MicDrass1

Offline MUonium

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 03:13:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • i think Appy has the more dynamic O but Charlotte has made some good plays (esp D and SpT) to stay in it.  sort of a cusa typical-like game. 

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man, MicDrass1

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 03:17:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If our o-line is truly good we should be able to physically pound App State.  Cramsey needs to use our run game, but our starters need to open up bigger run holes than they did in game 1.  On defense bring the pressure.  App Qb is what a normal s miss or mtsu University looks like.  Good but not great.

The following users thanked this post: Johns1124, The E-Man, herdfifteen

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 03:19:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We have had (2) weeks to prepare for App State and will be fresh vs their fatigue.  No excuses not to win this home game.  None.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, The E-Man, herdfan129

Offline HerdFan1114

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2020, 03:45:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Apply did a good job of blocking for their run game.

Offline Scottyo614

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 04:52:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Apply did a good job of blocking for their run game.

Their line did not look big though. Technically sound, strong but I think we actually match up well there. It will be interesting to see who is the stronger of the two. I think we fly the edges and will be fine.

On offense our line should engulf them. I’m not saying we should run through them but if that line is as hyped we should be able to do what we want. It’s an interesting match up.

Charlotte is an interesting matchup as well. They could give us problems later on.

Offline ed swain

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020, 04:57:27 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am psyched for next weeks game I am coming from NJ and expecting a win.We need our fans to really get behind the team and make a lot of noise.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, Buffalo Bop

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2020, 05:36:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • Charlotte is much improved after Lambert left imo.

The following users thanked this post: Buffalo Bop, herdfan129

Offline Scottyo614

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2020, 06:59:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Charlotte is much improved after Lambert left imo.

Last year they also had 19 seniors. This year they have 8 listed grad transfers on roster plus 16 seniors. The thing is Charlotte is still a young program. Orlovsky said 7 years they have been going. That means last year was 6. You were just getting through your first classes at that point.

Don’t forget losing Ratliff not only hurt the heart but the program.

With that said, Healy brought some energy. He’s also a great coach. Charlotte will have to pony money to keep him. A few factors all at once are hitting for it to be much improved. I can’t stress enough out of all of the “potential” schools they are the one to worry about.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995

Offline AppAlum1

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2020, 05:13:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Their line did not look big though. Technically sound, strong but I think we actually match up well there. It will be interesting to see who is the stronger of the two. I think we fly the edges and will be fine.

On offense our line should engulf them. I’m not saying we should run through them but if that line is as hyped we should be able to do what we want. It’s an interesting match up.

Charlotte is an interesting matchup as well. They could give us problems later on.

Appfan here.  Been a season ticket holder for 25+ years.  I was at at least two of the Marshall games in Boone.  One with Randy Moss (yall lost) & I think I recall seeing Pennington there.  I am delighted we get to pick up the rivalry again. 

But, you are correct.  App. St.'s O-line is not big.  Pretty good size & in great shape though with lots of experience.  The zone blocking schemes are amazing.  App will try to run first, and then just when you move 8 into the box, we will pass.  App has 3 pretty good running backs & all will get a turn.  My fav is Peoples.  Wow!  Big & quick. 

As to App's D-line, try to engulf whoever you can.  I think you will find it more challenging than you think.  Size & speed everywhere with depth on the bench.  You won't run around the edges, so straight up the middle is about the only place to go.  Others have found that difficult too.  App's DBs are something else.  ESPN ranked Jolly as the 3rd best DB in the country (behind LSU & Alabama's DBs) (I'm not counting Ohio State's because they're not playing).  And, Jean-Charles was given national honors for his coverage against Charlotte.  Charlotte chose not to even throw the ball on Jolly's side of the field.  Never did the entire game. 

One more observation.  I saw some of the Marshall / EKU game.  Your QB looked good, but I expect he will face a whole lot more pressure than what EKU brought.  Demetrius Taylor is the nose tackle you will need to deal with.  Against UNC last year, he had an interception (almost scored); he forced a fumble, picked it up himself & scored a TD; and had a number of sacks.  The Heels just could not handle him.

Should be a great game to watch.  There is half a chance I can make the game.  But, if not, I'll be home watching it. 

Good luck to the Herd!  And, next year, I think you all are coming to Boone.  Cannot wait for that!  Yall come!

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man, Scottyo614

Offline parshall2marshall

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2020, 07:17:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Appfan here.  Been a season ticket holder for 25+ years.  I was at at least two of the Marshall games in Boone.  One with Randy Moss (yall lost) & I think I recall seeing Pennington there.  I am delighted we get to pick up the rivalry again. 

But, you are correct.  App. St.'s O-line is not big.  Pretty good size & in great shape though with lots of experience.  The zone blocking schemes are amazing.  App will try to run first, and then just when you move 8 into the box, we will pass.  App has 3 pretty good running backs & all will get a turn.  My fav is Peoples.  Wow!  Big & quick. 

As to App's D-line, try to engulf whoever you can.  I think you will find it more challenging than you think.  Size & speed everywhere with depth on the bench.  You won't run around the edges, so straight up the middle is about the only place to go.  Others have found that difficult too.  App's DBs are something else.  ESPN ranked Jolly as the 3rd best DB in the country (behind LSU & Alabama's DBs) (I'm not counting Ohio State's because they're not playing).  And, Jean-Charles was given national honors for his coverage against Charlotte.  Charlotte chose not to even throw the ball on Jolly's side of the field.  Never did the entire game. 

One more observation.  I saw some of the Marshall / EKU game.  Your QB looked good, but I expect he will face a whole lot more pressure than what EKU brought.  Demetrius Taylor is the nose tackle you will need to deal with.  Against UNC last year, he had an interception (almost scored); he forced a fumble, picked it up himself & scored a TD; and had a number of sacks.  The Heels just could not handle him.

Should be a great game to watch.  There is half a chance I can make the game.  But, if not, I'll be home watching it. 

Good luck to the Herd!  And, next year, I think you all are coming to Boone.  Cannot wait for that!  Yall come!

Marshall's last year in 1-AA was 1996. We went 15-0 and were FCS National Champions. Dream on about an FCS team defeating Marshall with Randy Moss on the squad.
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

The following users thanked this post: SouthernHerd, TenThunder, The E-Man, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2020, 07:17:53 PM »

Offline Scottyo614

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2020, 08:00:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Marshall's last year in 1-AA was 1996. We went 15-0 and were FCS National Champions. Dream on about an FCS team defeating Marshall with Randy Moss on the squad.

He’s close to right. They beat us 10-3 in the Joan in an absolute slug fest of a game back in 95. But we didn’t have Moss yet. Just Chad

Offline Scottyo614

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2020, 08:22:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • But, you are correct.  App. St.'s O-line is not big.  Pretty good size & in great shape though with lots of experience.  The zone blocking schemes are amazing.  App will try to run first, and then just when you move 8 into the box, we will pass.  App has 3 pretty good running backs & all will get a turn.  My fav is Peoples.  Wow!  Big & quick. 

Our O Line will be the best you see all year. We start 5 RS seniors with a swing tackle who played a bit at FSU and played a ton since being here. He’s an NFL prospect. Our middle is solid with Cain Madden who they announcers will probably talk for 20 minutes about his nickname as the dump truck. We have a former Herd lineman on here who will tell you Alex Mollette is the best lineman and has been.

The other thing is our RB Knox isn’t going outside. He’s going up the middle. He’s better than Harbison by a good margin. If he dances behind generally nothing happens. If he hits the hole hard there’s enough tape he’s getting 4-5 yards at minimum a carry. He should be the best RB you see all year. Our OC last year anyway randomly forgets about the run game though. We also don’t run any screens to stop the flying around on a D.

The big thing, we are coming off a bye week. We suck off bye weeks. Last year UC drubbed us in a shameful performance. In 18 we looked rough against NC St and then randomly lost to USM. Down the line we haven’t performed well on bye weeks. We match up incredibly well. Almost favorably. With that said, I don’t trust our staff enough to say we will win. We could just as easily lose 42-14.
    « Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 08:27:09 PM by Scottyo614 »

Offline AppAlum1

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2020, 05:15:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Our O Line will be the best you see all year. We start 5 RS seniors with a swing tackle who played a bit at FSU and played a ton since being here. He’s an NFL prospect. Our middle is solid with Cain Madden who they announcers will probably talk for 20 minutes about his nickname as the dump truck. We have a former Herd lineman on here who will tell you Alex Mollette is the best lineman and has been.

It will be interesting to compare O-lines.  Most folks equate size with the quality of the O-line.  But, in the face of quick DEs, all that size can be a liability.  App's O-line runs a zone blocking scheme that works wonders.  Against Charlotte, App's QB Zac Thomas was given plenty of time to pass or do whatever he wanted.  And, they cleared rather large paths for our RBs.  Keep an eye on Peoples, he's the real deal. 

As to your O-line, I can tell you what's coming.  App will start out in an odd-looking 3 man line that is rather spread out.  Then, guys will shift up & back, blitzing/not blitzing, all day long.  You likely won't see the same look twice.  On a number of pass plays, Charlotte's O-line could not block App's 3 rushers & we got a sack.  Not saying that will happen in Huntington, but your big guys will be tested.

Offline carolinaherdfan

Re: Appy vs Charlottwas
    « Reply #15 on: September 16, 2020, 05:40:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It will be interesting to compare O-lines.  Most folks equate size with the quality of the O-line.  But, in the face of quick DEs, all that size can be a liability.  App's O-line runs a zone blocking scheme that works wonders.  Against Charlotte, App's QB Zac Thomas was given plenty of time to pass or do whatever he wanted.  And, they cleared rather large paths for our RBs.  Keep an eye on Peoples, he's the real deal. 

As to your O-line, I can tell you what's coming.  App will start out in an odd-looking 3 man line that is rather spread out.  Then, guys will shift up & back, blitzing/not blitzing, all day long.  You likely won't see the same look twice.  On a number of pass plays, Charlotte's O-line could not block App's 3 rushers & we got a sack.  Not saying that will happen in Huntington, but your big guys will be tested.
    [/quote

I’ve been around a lot of football over the days, and the only thing that ever means anything to anyone/America today is the final score...ol...dL...lb...kickers....punters...Fg kickers...safeties...r/backs...wr...teams...best to you guys...hope and pray for your safe travels to and from...I hope you enjoy being in Huntington...a great place with great people...nice hotels, eateries, bars etc... but we are Herdstrong!
    I was asked once what it was like being a ‘herdfan’ in West Virginia, and I replied, nothing like being a WVU fan in Huntington...😁🏈👻

Offline Scottyo614

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2020, 06:54:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It will be interesting to compare O-lines.  Most folks equate size with the quality of the O-line.  But, in the face of quick DEs, all that size can be a liability.  App's O-line runs a zone blocking scheme that works wonders.  Against Charlotte, App's QB Zac Thomas was given plenty of time to pass or do whatever he wanted.  And, they cleared rather large paths for our RBs.  Keep an eye on Peoples, he's the real deal. 

You guys are good up front on the offensive line. I saw a group who lacks in size but makes up in technique and strength. They know what they are doing and make make it happen.

For our OL Chase Littons junior year a portion of this group was one of the most efficient in the country in pass pro. They have lost the interior since then, but is a veteran group who outside the center was together last year.. Interesting to see what our center does in a tough battle. Last year against Boise we had issues up the middle but it came together end of the year. The guys on the outside have faced Curtis Weaver, Ximenes from ODU, Alex Highsmith, crazy enough even Trey Hendrickson and Marcus Davenport who both play for the Saints. Nothing against Appy but they aren’t running that out at DE.

Reality is this. Size of OL doesn’t make the line. However smaller DLs will get worn out by game management and bullying play after play by the bigger line. We have this problem against bigger OLs we face on D. If the Herd controls the ball, controls the TOP and wins the TO battle... well like most games, you win the game.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2020, 06:54:34 PM »