Author Topic: Is it safe to expect......  (Read 1349 times)

Offline 00mag12gaVa

• Junior Varsity
  • Member Since 12/2012
Is it safe to expect......
« on: September 04, 2013, 11:38:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That EVERY series our first and second offense possess the pigskin against GWU, they score? That our first and second defensive squads allow ZERO points from GWU???....Is it safe to say??? Should we expect it??
    « Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 11:40:40 PM by 00mag12gaVa »
    No political dreamer was ever wild enough to think of breaking down the lines which separate the States and compounding the American people into one common mass.
    John Marshall (1755 - 1835)

HerdFans.com

Is it safe to expect......
    « on: September 04, 2013, 11:38:44 PM »

Offline Carolina_Thor

Re: Is it safe to expect......
    « Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 12:15:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not totally sure where you're trying to lead us, but I'll bite just to see where it goes.... No our offense will probably not score every series, nor do I believe it's likely we shut them out.   But... I do see us winning bu a huge margin (40+ margin)

CT

Offline BerkshireHerdFan

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • All American
    • Former Football Student Manager 2002-2004
    « Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 08:39:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No it is not.  Too many variables... all it takes is one receiver drop on 3rd down to stall a drive. Could be against air in still drop the ball..
    Knightdale NC

Offline svherd

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 09:53:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't think we do that. In a twisted way, I look for this game to be tougher than the Miami game. Its one of those games that the longer you allow them to stay in the game, the more nervous everyone gets.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline BuyNtelos4

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 10:39:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think that against Miami, our offense had 1st game jitters, and it took them awhile to get comfortable playing against guys not on their own team.  Once we got going, we took off like a bolt of lightening.  Also, that blown call before half time should have changed the flow of the game before the break instead of after!!

I don't look for us to come out flat again Saturday, and I think our defense misses a beat, and comes out with the same intensity and killer instinct that they played with during the 2nd half of the Miami game.  Seems like we only gave up between 50-80 yards in the 2nd half and a very, very low # of 1st downs. 

I will bite, and say that there is a greater chance that our offense scores on every possession that Cato is on the field in the 1st half, and that we don't give up any points when our #1 defense is on the field; than the chance that their is a tie at any point in the game after our 1st score, or that the game is even remotely close by half time. 

I normally hate to make any statements about Marshall winning for sure or winning by a certain amount before the game is actually over or out of hand enough that it is sealed, but I haven't had this kind of confidence in a Herd team since Byron was here.  I know that is a big leap, but I have the opinion that we have a big time team, and even though he hasn't proven it yet, I feel like I have seen flashes of brilliance out of Doc's ability to coach, although he has had a greater number of negative learning experiences.  He did out this team, and this coaching staff together, turn our offense around from one of the worst to one of the best in one season, and hopefully we are seeing the exact same this season with our defense.  I think the offense he fixed with an unreal amount of talent, but the defense I think the quick improvement will be more Pruett-esque due to the overall team mentality/we Can beat anyone attitude; and good coaching!!

I would be less surprised to see us score on every possession, and shut them out on defense, than I will be surprised to see anything resembling a close, hard fought game.

If the game is close, even just at half time, or if we have to seemingly fight and claw our way to a big time second half as we saw last week, then I think we our going to struggle mightily at Ohio, even if we still win; be lucky as hell to get a W at Va. Tech IF it even happens, and the tone of our season may be drastically different than what we are all expecting/hoping for.

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 10:43:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • boys, we may have 50 by halftime in this one.
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline 00mag12gaVa

• Junior Varsity
    • Member Since 12/2012
    « Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 11:22:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I mean no outward disrespect toward Gardner Webb, but damn people, they are not in our league. If "the" Marshall University Thundering Herd football club first string offense CANNOT score AT WILL against this Gardner Webb club, we are in trouble. I am not advocating "running up" the score, but we damn sure better have the ability to do so. The "D" better not allow a jack diddley either. If we want to attain "Boise" type attention, then you stand on these folks necks people, simple as that.
    No political dreamer was ever wild enough to think of breaking down the lines which separate the States and compounding the American people into one common mass.

Offline BuyNtelos4

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 11:34:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If this game is in any way tough, I do not see any way we beat Va. Tech, and think we will be lucky to beat Ohio.  I do think our conference is weak enough that we could actually drop both of those games, then lose to Tulsa at Tulsa, but still beat ECU and go to the CUSA championship, and have a 50/50 shot at winning it.  However, with all the potiential we have on this team, I'll still be upset.  I will be happy with a conference championship, obviously, but I guess to me, of our season goes like that it is proof to me that we may be right where we belong in this watered down league, not deserving of the AAC.

However, I do think we are deserving of it, if that is where we want to be, with our peers.  I do also think that we win 11 regular season games this year, minimum, and I think we absolutely spank G.W.  I think those of you thinking it is going to be tough are still stick in the Snyder frame of mind, and am praying that you turn out to be absolutely nuts.

Offline banker

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 12:37:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Anybody got a gif of a cart in front of a horse?

I think we have the opportunity for a really good season, but how do you guys turn one win against a fairly crappy lil Miami into scoring on every drive, shutting people out, BCS games, etc.?

We all knew that the first two games were likely going to be walk overs so I'm still waiting to see how we play in Athens.

Offline BuyNtelos4

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 01:33:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Shutting teams out?? The only team I mentioned shutting out, or anyone else in this thread, was G.W.  I don't think FCS teams should be looked at in the same light as FBS teams.  I realize 5 or so won last week against FBS teams, but 60+ got blown out. 

As far as BCS games, none were mentioned in this thread either.  Personally, I have mentioned it in other threads, but specified that it was only wishful thinking or a dream at this point.  I have seen others make comments about it being our goal, but shouldn't that ultimately be our goal every single season.  I don't think anyone is putting any cart before any horse by mentioning the small possibility of scoring on every drive with our first team O against an FCS school, nor by mentioning the possibility of our first team d shutting them out, and certainly not by having lofty goals.  We undoubtedly had the offense for it last year, but struggled mightily on special teams and defense.  We pay our coaches to fix last years problems for this year, and should have the expectation that they are doing their job.  Then, if indeed they are, the sky is the limit, and we would be crazy not to hope for it!! 

I think the only person who needs to be shown a cart in front of a horse is you, for expecting us to lose before we do, or expecting that we can't score every time on an FCS team that won around 3 games all of last season.

Offline 00mag12gaVa

• Junior Varsity
    • Member Since 12/2012
    « Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 01:19:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Total domination....I expect it..... Simple as that. There is in my opinion, no reason not to.

Offline 00mag12gaVa

• Junior Varsity
    • Member Since 12/2012
    « Reply #11 on: September 07, 2013, 09:35:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Shut-out
    « Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 09:38:47 PM by 00mag12gaVa »

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2013, 09:35:57 PM »

Offline HerdnClt

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2013, 10:31:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yes. The Inferno Defense from Coach Heater is lighting it up. Outstanding job through the first two games.
    "The Herd #1"

HerdFans.com

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2013, 10:31:42 PM »