Author Topic: Dantoni admits building weak schedule  (Read 6074 times)

Offline herd247

Re: Dantoni admits building weak schedule
« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2022, 01:03:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • To me the non-conference schedule are all tune ups prior to SBC play.  Building confidence in the 3 new-comers and getting the team in rhythm is what matters.  Get into the SBC and then win conference tournament is the goal.  Reality is as the conference stands this year....it's a 1 bid conference.

Go watch a practice and tell me it's the same as last year...no way! It's going to be an exciting year in Huntington.

The following users thanked this post: horsrman

HerdFans.com

« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2022, 01:03:29 PM »

Offline herd2win

« Reply #76 on: October 03, 2022, 01:04:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Coach DD had a terrible year last year.  However the man has accomplished what no other coach her has done.  If anyone deserves a little lead way it is him. I think we will have a great year this year, because of multiple factors.  Weak ooc, weak conference schedule and I think we will be a better team.

He only had 1 good year in a decade and that was 5 years ago and one could argue he really only had 1 good 10'day stretch as that team was not a top seed in the conference tourney and got hot and won 1 NCAA game and then laid an egg with an opportunity to beat our most hated rival and go to the sweet 16.

The following users thanked this post: forphase1

Offline svherd

« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2022, 01:20:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Basketball and Football both have had one really good year in decades and we cling to those like white on rice. When most schools would strive to get better and move forward, we continue to live in the past.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Stripeshrt, muherd34

Offline muherd34

« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2022, 01:21:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Basketball and Football both have had one really good year in decades and we cling to those like white on rice. When most schools would strive to get better and move forward, we continue to live in the past.

Very true and I am guilty of it also!

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #79 on: October 03, 2022, 01:22:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • To me the non-conference schedule are all tune ups prior to SBC play.  Building confidence in the 3 new-comers and getting the team in rhythm is what matters.  Get into the SBC and then win conference tournament is the goal.  Reality is as the conference stands this year....it's a 1 bid conference.

Go watch a practice and tell me it's the same as last year...no way! It's going to be an exciting year in Huntington.

It's amazing how every single person that goes to practice sees the same thing. But the ones that sit in their basement seem to know the facts. Thanks for your report!!

The following users thanked this post: horsrman, overherd1, herd247

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2022, 01:26:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It wouldn't be a basketball thread without Bust bring up Doc.

It's because you were attached to his jock for 8 years. Even after his 3-9 disaster but was done on Huff middle of season one. And your jealousy over Danny still being here and your buddy gone is driving you crazy lol!!!

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2022, 01:27:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Basketball is moving forward in a big way. Just enjoy!!

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #82 on: October 03, 2022, 01:32:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am concerned about the strength of some of the players. Conner is listed 6'9" and 195 pounds. Braun is listed at 6'3" 180 pounds; Fricks 6'9" 195 pounds; Handlogten is 7' 1" 212 pounds. You need some size to get positioning for rebounding; thin guys can be pushed around and it helps if you play defense. A long season can take a toll on bodies.

I always judge players based on the other schools that offer them, but I am not going to get in to that.

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #83 on: October 03, 2022, 01:41:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am concerned about the strength of some of the players. Conner is listed 6'9" and 195 pounds. Braun is listed at 6'3" 180 pounds; Fricks 6'9" 195 pounds; Handlogten is 7' 1" 212 pounds. You need some size to get positioning for rebounding; thin guys can be pushed around and it helps if you play defense. A long season can take a toll on bodies.

I always judge players based on the other schools that offer them, but I am not going to get in to that.

Again, that is where going to practice would help you. Instead of looking at numbers just watch them play. No doubt it will be better when these freshman put on 15 lbs. but Conner is a very long swing player at the 2-3. This is why it's so exciting having the new strength coach. He is the real deal and nothing like the ones in the past.

The following users thanked this post: wlf

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #84 on: October 03, 2022, 01:44:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • NON CONFERENCE PREDICTIONS

L @Queens (One of the better D2 programs hosting their first ever D1 game) See Newberry when they came in and beat the Herd in a scrimmage and it seems like we don't play well on the road.
    W Ten Tech Looks to have struggled last year, but was able to keep it a 10 point game with a few decent teams
    L @Miami See previous road struggles and this team beat P5 Georgia Tech and almost beat Cincy
    W Coppin State Should be one of the easiest W's on the schedule
    W Chicago State Another one of the worst teams in college basketball
    L Morehead State They were about a minute away from being a tourney team last year
    L Akron MAC always has our number and this was a tourney team
    L Ohio See above about the MAC
    W Duquesne Nervous about this one, but think we will get the dub. They only won 6 games last year, but we only beat them by 1 at our place last year.
    W Robert Morris Road game, but it seems like they weren't very competitive last year.
    L UNCG Don't think we will win 3 straight road games and they will probably be the toughest test out of the 3.
    W Toledo We usually seem to get at least 1 MAC win and I think this will be it at home gearing up for Sun Belt play
    W Glenville State Tune-Up W

When you add it up I think we are 7-6 coming out of the non-conference slate. Maybe 8-5 if we can play well in one of the road games (Queens/MAC)

Good objective analysis.

Offline Scottyo614

« Reply #85 on: October 03, 2022, 01:48:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Fun thought, Whiteside was only 7'0 226 at his draft measures. So Handlogten is already there if he's at 212.

Sounds like we have a lot of kids practicing with effort. Sure it doesn't show on the scoreboard as points, but any winning team is going to point to doing the little things as to what pushed them over the top. Who knows what they do, but keep the reports coming talking about how much the kids are working.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdfan93, parshall2marshall, wlf, herdorbust2

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #86 on: October 03, 2022, 02:21:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Fun thought, Whiteside was only 7'0 226 at his draft measures. So Handlogten is already there if he's at 212.

Sounds like we have a lot of kids practicing with effort. Sure it doesn't show on the scoreboard as points, but any winning team is going to point to doing the little things as to what pushed them over the top. Who knows what they do, but keep the reports coming talking about how much the kids are working.

Per Herdzone Whitside was 235 at the start of the season. I would say he was about 240-250 range by the end of the season. He was listed at 265 in his first season with the Kings.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010%E2%80%9311_Sacramento_Kings_season

https://herdzone.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/hassan-whiteside/510

I did see him listed at 225 pounds at  http://www.mynbadraft.com/2010/round2/. but I checked a couple of other players listed and the weights didn't match their college rosters. Hey, it must be true if it is on the internet, especially with a name like "my nba daft".
    « Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 02:26:27 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

HerdFans.com

« Reply #86 on: October 03, 2022, 02:21:53 PM »

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #87 on: October 03, 2022, 02:40:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Per Herdzone Whitside was 235 at the start of the season. I would say he was about 240-250 range by the end of the season. He was listed at 265 in his first season with the Kings.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010%E2%80%9311_Sacramento_Kings_season

https://herdzone.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/hassan-whiteside/510

I did see him listed at 225 pounds at  http://www.mynbadraft.com/2010/round2/. but I checked a couple of other players listed and the weights didn't match their college rosters. Hey, it must be true if it is on the internet, especially with a name like "my nba daft".

Whiteside was about 225 when he left Marshall. He put on a lot of weight in a few months. I remember seeing pics of him after he left here that first year and couldn't believe how big his arms had got.

Offline MCA23

« Reply #88 on: October 03, 2022, 02:41:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Again, that is where going to practice would help you. Instead of looking at numbers just watch them play. No doubt it will be better when these freshman put on 15 lbs. but Conner is a very long swing player at the 2-3. This is why it's so exciting having the new strength coach. He is the real deal and nothing like the ones in the past.

Everyone looks good in practice.  Hey is Andy shooting the ball really well again?

Offline herd2win

« Reply #89 on: October 03, 2022, 02:41:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • These guys are closer to Chet Hilgram than they are to Whiteside.

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #90 on: October 03, 2022, 02:43:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Whiteside was about 225 when he left Marshall. He put on a lot of weight in a few months. I remember seeing pics of him after he left here that first year and couldn't believe how big his arms had got.

I attended one of Jones's lunches near the end of the season and he may a joke about Whiteside spending too much time at McDonalds and he had put on weight.

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #91 on: October 03, 2022, 02:47:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • These guys are closer to Chet Hilgram than they are to Whiteside.

Again you have no clue but continue to run your mouth.

The following users thanked this post: wlf

Offline svherd

« Reply #92 on: October 03, 2022, 02:57:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Very true and I am guilty of it also!

Me as well. I think we all are. LOL!

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, wlf

Offline Scottyo614

« Reply #93 on: October 03, 2022, 03:37:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I pulled mine straight from the combine https://www.nba.com/stats/draft/combine-anthro?SeasonYear=2010-11&dir=1&sort=HEIGHT_WO_SHOES figured that was the closest to no frills honest as we could get for size.

As for the Chet comparison, obviously Handlogten is probably closer to him since Chet was 7' 190. But he went 14-10 on average with 3 blocks per game. With the best games coming against bigger teams. He's also the exception not the rule though. Same with Whiteside. If Micah even scratches their surface we have a good player on our hands.

The following users thanked this post: chris88, wlf

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #94 on: October 03, 2022, 03:55:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Holmgren is a very good player. But if we are talking about who is the skinniest, it's Holmgren hands down. He is skin stretched over bones. These guys do have a little definition to their bodies. Herd2win hasn't never seen them but knows all about them lol!!! What a genius from his basement.

Offline goherd24

« Reply #95 on: October 03, 2022, 04:08:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He only had 1 good year in a decade and that was 5 years ago and one could argue he really only had 1 good 10'day stretch as that team was not a top seed in the conference tourney and got hot and won 1 NCAA game and then laid an egg with an opportunity to beat our most hated rival and go to the sweet 16.

People forget we were winning that game for 10-12 minutes into the first half before they hatchet jobbed Williams. He was killing them on the perimeter, after that, they were able to lock us down without that threat.

And it doesn't even matter. We went to the dance, won the conference and won our first ever ncaa tourney game. Heck of an accomplishment.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, wlf

Offline goherd24

« Reply #96 on: October 03, 2022, 04:14:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Again, that is where going to practice would help you. Instead of looking at numbers just watch them play. No doubt it will be better when these freshman put on 15 lbs. but Conner is a very long swing player at the 2-3. This is why it's so exciting having the new strength coach. He is the real deal and nothing like the ones in the past.

Bust you went from we suck and fire Dan, and never going to a ball game again, to over the top optimistic. There is a middle ground which I have been constant in. Which is a 20 win team that competes for a sunbelt title, but you're going on like we are gonna be a top 25 team, and that's just not gonna be the case. We need a strong big and we still aren't sure if we still don't need a true PG. These stretch guys are great if we are hitting shots, when they aren't, not so much.

The following users thanked this post: Stripeshrt, MUfan08, ru4mu2, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

« Reply #96 on: October 03, 2022, 04:14:03 PM »

Offline coalherd

« Reply #97 on: October 03, 2022, 04:25:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Could be that DD prefers the "stick figure" frontliners, instead of muscle, strength, etc.  Guess he wants to avoid having all that bulk getting in their way as they "sprint outside" to fire another 3-pt. bomb from 30 feet.  When it comes to other aspects of the game like rebounding, blocking out, defense, etc., well, old Danny is like that trademark dude for Mad Magazine and just says "What, Me Worry?"!!!

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #98 on: October 03, 2022, 04:26:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Bust you went from we suck and fire Dan, and never going to a ball game again, to over the top optimistic. There is a middle ground which I have been constant in. Which is a 20 win team that competes for a sunbelt title, but you're going on like we are gonna be a top 25 team, and that's just not gonna be the case. We need a strong big and we still aren't sure if we still don't need a true PG. These stretch guys are great if we are hitting shots, when they aren't, not so much.

Like 2bison said there is that straw man talk again. Top 25? Just go back to trashing Huff after being firmly in his corner a couple weeks ago lol!!!

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #99 on: October 03, 2022, 04:28:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Could be that DD prefers the "stick figure" frontliners, instead of muscle, strength, etc.  Guess he wants to avoid having all that bulk getting in their way as they "sprint outside" to fire another 3-pt. bomb from 30 feet.  When it comes to other aspects of the game like rebounding, blocking out, defense, etc., well, old Danny is like that trademark dude for Mad Magazine and just says "What, Me Worry?"!!!

I hope you arent on here after every win praising the play after trashing him in every post lol!!!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #99 on: October 03, 2022, 04:28:45 PM »