Author Topic: Dantoni admits building weak schedule  (Read 6037 times)

Online herdorbust2

Re: Dantoni admits building weak schedule
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2022, 02:47:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No, but our best result in tourney is DD.  I'm confident we will have a very good year.  Only question in my mind is better than 2018 or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree. This team is much much deeper and especially inside. Andrew and Kinsey are playing their best ball right now. And Curfman is an assassin. I kind of like those that Pooh Pooh expectations. I'm sure the predictions will as well. Going to be good stuff!!

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2022, 02:47:38 PM »

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #26 on: October 02, 2022, 03:51:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No, but our best result in tourney is DD.  I'm confident we will have a very good year.  Only question in my mind is better than 2018 or not?

I'm not convinced we will be better this year until I see dramatic improvement

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, ThunderValley

Online 2xBison

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2022, 04:07:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm not convinced we will be better this year until I see dramatic improvement
    Well for some it takes a little longer.  I'm looking at current roster, film and past rosters so it's pretty easy to see.

QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2022, 04:15:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm not convinced we will be better this year until I see dramatic improvement

Understood and I get it if you can't see the team and individuals. But this team is the most talented top to bottom he has had. But you will come around in time as will everyone else.

Online Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    « Reply #29 on: October 02, 2022, 04:23:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Understood and I get it if you can't see the team and individuals. But this team is the most talented top to bottom he has had. But you will come around in time as will everyone else.

I hope you and 2X are right

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man, coalherd

Offline MUonium

« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2022, 04:52:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

i agree.  although this team will not be last or any other year's team, there are good reasons to be skeptical while having hope. 

maybe the staff will do a better job teaching fundamentals, D, shooting and finishing and real team ball- they have a few weeks to get it done.

as far as predictions, i have no idea, just like last year's team had no clue!  fool me once, twice....

Offline ThunderValley

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2022, 04:57:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • every year DD will have a better team than the year before...yawn

The following users thanked this post: Stripeshrt, SuperAnjario

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2022, 05:08:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • every year DD will have a better team than the year before...yawn

Honestly I could care less what you or anyone else thinks. We will know soon enough and it's fun saving all these posts trashing and mocking practice reports. And the Dantoni blasters lol!! Cant wait!!!

Offline MUonium

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2022, 05:12:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Honestly I could care less what you or anyone else thinks. We will know soon enough and it's fun saving all these posts trashing and mocking practice reports. And the Dantoni blasters lol!! Cant wait!!!

its not just about you

The following users thanked this post: Stripeshrt, MUfan08

Offline herd2win

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2022, 05:14:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If this team doesn't win 22 games at a minimum with this schedule then he should not be renewed since he is on a 1 year contract.

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2022, 05:26:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  

Online 2xBison

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2022, 05:27:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hope you're right. I love DD, but I've seen some basketball fundamentals that I'm surprised he hasn't addressed. These are techniques that can and should be corrected.
    For example...

QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2022, 05:27:44 PM »

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2022, 05:28:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If this team doesn't win 22 games at a minimum with this schedule then he should not be renewed since he is on a 1 year contract.

It's a lock. And Doc should have won the disaster weak east every year but he didn't.

Offline jdonaccbus

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2022, 05:58:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • For example...

I will give one. The backside defense last year was bad in particular when other teams ran screen-and-roll. Other than OAK, the backside rotation on defense was horrendous. Most of the time the rotations were late or non-existent with some players.

We also didn't switch very well on the on-ball screens. The switcher has to jump up into the ball and not let the dribbler have easy vision to pass to the roller.

You may disagree. But the team defensive stats from last season tend to back me up.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, chris88, elginherd

Offline jdonaccbus

« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2022, 06:05:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Honestly I could care less what you or anyone else thinks. We will know soon enough and it's fun saving all these posts trashing and mocking practice reports. And the Dantoni blasters lol!! Cant wait!!!

Most of us enjoy the practice reports. I love D'Antoni and want nothing but success for Marshall basketball.

But questioning some obvious problems from last year that started in November and were still in existence in February that never got fixed or watching some bad player development over the course of a season & then questioning that, is not a D'Antoni basher. We had defensive flaws last year that were very evident and many times the flow of the offense after 1 or 2 passes became stagnant on our offensive end.

I hope we have improved significantly. We have to because it isn't easy to win night-in and night-out at any Division 1 level. I would love nothing more than a 20+ win season and a deep run in the Sun Belt Tournament.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, ru4mu2, The E-Man, coalherd

Offline elginherd

« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2022, 06:07:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I will give one. The backside defense last year was bad in particular when other teams ran screen-and-roll. Other than OAK, the backside rotation on defense was horrendous. Most of the time the rotations were late or non-existent with some players.

We also didn't switch very well on the on-ball screens. The switcher has to jump up into the ball and not let the dribbler have easy vision to pass to the roller.

You may disagree. But the team defensive stats from last season tend to back me up.

Those are great observations.
    There are several different ways to play on-the-ball pick and rolls. Whether you blitz, hedge hard or hedge and drop, the other three defenders must play their assignments. Just because you want to play run and gun offense doesn't mean that you completely ignore defense.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Stripeshrt, chris88, The E-Man, coalherd

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2022, 06:08:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I will give one. The backside defense last year was bad in particular when other teams ran screen-and-roll. Other than OAK, the backside rotation on defense was horrendous. Most of the time the rotations were late or non-existent with some players.

And again that was last season. That is why the team will play this season with 4 new players in the top 8 rotation. Last year stunk and there was reasons for that and it's been talked about a lot. Part of it was Dannys fault and he admits that. This is a new team, new players, new season and new energy.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2022, 06:12:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Most of us enjoy the practice reports. I love D'Antoni and want nothing but success for Marshall basketball.

But questioning some obvious problems from last year that started in November and were still in existence in February that never got fixed or watching some bad player development over the course of a season & then questioning that, is not a D'Antoni basher. We had defensive flaws last year that were very evident and many times the flow of the offense after 1 or 2 passes became stagnant on our offensive end.

I hope we have improved significantly. We have to because it isn't easy to win night-in and night-out at any Division 1 level. I would love nothing more than a 20+ win season and a deep run in the Sun Belt Tournament.

Didn't say you were a Dantoni basher. But if you don't think they are in this board then you are kidding yourself. I'll guarantee you one thing. It's going to be a fun, enjoyable and exciting product to watch this year.

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2022, 08:20:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Says we need to get confidence by beating weak teams early beforewe face that daunting Sun Belt schedule.  That 12 win season really motivated him.  Not to get better, just to make the path to 16-17 wins easier. 

https://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/marshall-basketball-wants-its-mojo-back/article_f7b0ebff-68f5-5180-ac9c-8db624fc446c.html

The reality is those weak teams were beating us last year. If we play the same, we will get the same results.

The following users thanked this post: ThunderValley, chris88

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2022, 08:28:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • For example...

free throws, shooting to quick off the dribble and not squaring up. Picking up the cutter to the basket, finding a man to box out once the ball goes up, etc..One thing that really jumped out at me, are the easy layups teams had against us. We were to soft inside and it showed how we got pushed around.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, mr_ash_1995, 2xBison, parshall2marshall, ThunderValley, chris88, wlf, coalherd

Online svherd

« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2022, 10:01:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I support Dan and every MU team, but glad Grassie didn't have this mentality, we'd have never won a National championship

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, chris88, The E-Man

Offline coalherd

« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2022, 10:10:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Let's just get there. Then we can play that big name everyone is clamoring for. Sometimes I think Marshall fans enjoy being miserable than just watching a fun exciting brand with the best freshman class he has brought in so far. These guys are a blast to watch. If these 3 freshman come on like expected, this team is going to finally be deep, skilled and long and have a lot of different combos for whatever is needed.

So, the official basketball mantra of Marshall University Basketball is "We Play For FUN"??  Gawd, that surely will make Bobby Pruett shake his head in disbelief and wince!!  Maybe even downright CRY!!!  A lot of other REAL HERD FANS too!!
    « Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 10:21:07 PM by coalherd »

The following users thanked this post: ThunderValley, chris88, The E-Man

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2022, 10:10:38 PM »

Offline coalherd

« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2022, 10:19:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • For example...

C'mon, Bison.  Pull your toboggan up above your eyes and you surely will see the vaunted D'Antoni "Matador" man-to-man "Defense".  Others have been observing it for about 8 seasons now, often exclaiming "WTF"!!!

Online Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    « Reply #48 on: October 02, 2022, 10:36:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I support Dan and every MU team, but glad Grassie didn't have this mentality, we'd have never won a National championship

We only have one baller coach at Marshall

Grassie

The following users thanked this post: svherd, ThunderValley, muherd34, chris88

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2022, 07:08:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Does strength of schedule matter when only one team is ever going to get a bid?
    No, it doesn't.
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

HerdFans.com

« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2022, 07:08:18 AM »