Author Topic: Our move to the SBC  (Read 1426 times)

Offline Banshee

Re: Our move to the SBC
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2021, 09:27:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • JMU basketball arena looks super nice. JMU up on UVA in the 2nd half.

JMU just won against UVA, 52-49, awesome.

The following users thanked this post: whf

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2021, 09:27:33 PM »

Offline coalherd

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2021, 03:13:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • GaSo just got a new coach, too.  That should help a little.  They've struggled in the SB and their fanship has suffered for it.  Another sleeping giant that just needs a string of good seasons.

Just guessing, but it'll probably be the "Mecca" of basketball arenas in the SBC, based on its newness and all the $$$ the school put into it.  $80 to $90 million or so, if you include what they also put into a large parking port right next to it.  I followed a lot of the construction progress on their web site, including great videos of the finished product and all the attendant amenities.

JMU raised something like $8 to $12 million in private funding, IIRC, for the arena; rest funded by revenue bonds allowed/approved by the State of Virginia.  Marshall would do back flips to be able to have similar funding capabilities herein West Virginia, but just doesn't happen.  WVU alone has something close to a carte blanche ability to issue bonds through its BOG; MU and other state schools have to essentially beg for ANY state funding for capital projects including for much needed maintenance and renovations of existing facilities.  That's the reasons why so many buildings are being shuttered, or have deteriorated to the point of being unusable,on college campus sites all around the State, other than the Hole.

The following users thanked this post: wasbarryb

Offline luvherd

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2021, 08:06:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I lived in Virginia for a decade or longer. JMU is a great academic school with some well to do alumni.
    MU Alum
    Big Green Member

The following users thanked this post: HerdEcon

Offline puma

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2021, 08:41:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Remove the West. Would you say the SBC East is one of the toughest G5 division or right up there? You?ll have App, JMU, Marshall, ODU, Coastal, Ga St, and Ga So. Five of the seven are in bowls. JMU is in the playoffs. That is a tough top to bottom division. I?d say on a level (maybe just below)of MWC divisions. But they will be better than the AAC divisions.

After realignment, there's zero doubt in my mind that Sun Belt East will consistently be in the top 2 or 3 G5 divisions every season and #1 in sheer entertainment value.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, The E-Man, GreenDaddy, herdfan129

Offline GreenDaddy

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2021, 10:59:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • After realignment, there's zero doubt in my mind that Sun Belt East will consistently be in the top 2 or 3 G5 divisions every season and #1 in sheer entertainment value.

JMU vs ODU
    Marshall vs App
    App vs JMU
    Marshall vs JMU
    ODU vs Coastal

The potential rivalries are really fun to think about.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, wasbarryb, The E-Man

Offline MUsince96

« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2021, 11:40:49 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • JMU vs ODU
    Marshall vs App
    App vs JMU
    Marshall vs JMU
    ODU vs Coastal

The potential rivalries are really fun to think about.

Agreed. And I'll throw in a few more current and potential rivalries.

Two current big ones-
    App State and Georgia Southern
    Georgia Southern and Georgia State

Potential-
    Marshall and Coastal Carolina  (if for nothing else than the amount of West Virginians who vacation down there. Could be a de facto home game)

These along with the ones you mentioned are exciting. That's a bunch of rivalries and teams caring about each other in one division.

The following users thanked this post: GreenDaddy

Offline svherd

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2021, 11:43:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We can call the MU- CCU game - the Redneck Riviera Rivalry!

The winner gets a stuffed Gator head from Wings!

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Big Ol' Hillbilly, MUsince96, GreenDaddy, herdfan129

Online whf

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2021, 01:18:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • JMU basketball arena looks super nice. JMU up on UVA in the 2nd half.
    I'm pretty sure that arena is brand new, was a major push and investment for that school only a few years back.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2021, 01:18:53 PM »