Author Topic: Williams/West  (Read 1870 times)

Offline wlf

Re: Williams/West
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2021, 09:54:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So, we have a Marshall "alum" coaching in the ACC!  Not bad.  Joins A.W. at EKU in the "group" of D-1 head BB coaches.  Wonder if John Brannen, formerly at UC, is still in the coaching professional at all.
    Greg White would had Marshall on the national radar, ESPN did a story on young stars in the coaching world that featured Greg. Marshall AD was not supportive of the men?s basketball program.Here?s some info on Greg?s all star coaches and players :

Greg?s leadership and mentoring abilities propelled many assistant coaches and players to head coaching positions and top assistant positions including Head Coach Kevin Keatts (North Carolina State University), Assistant Coach Steve Snell (North Carolina State), Head Coach Donnie Jones (Stetson University), Assistant Coach Shawn Finney (Stetson University), Head Coach Mark Downey (Arkansas Tech University), Assistant Coach Cornelius Jackson (Marshall University), Head Coach Bryan Poore (West Virginia State University), Head Coach Jeff Burkhamer (University of West Florida), Head Coach Jeff Boals (Ohio University), Head Coach Dave Dickerson (University of South Carolina Upstate), Head Coach Steve Hettinga (Lake Superior State University), Head Coach A.W. Hamilton (Eastern Kentucky University) and Head Coach Gregg Marshall (Wichita State University - Retired).

The following users thanked this post: svherd

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2021, 09:54:20 AM »

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2021, 10:07:20 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Greg White would had Marshall on the national radar, ESPN did a story on young stars in the coaching world that featured Greg. Marshall AD was not supportive of the men?s basketball program.Here?s some info on Greg?s all star coaches and players :

Greg?s leadership and mentoring abilities propelled many assistant coaches and players to head coaching positions and top assistant positions including Head Coach Kevin Keatts (North Carolina State University), Assistant Coach Steve Snell (North Carolina State), Head Coach Donnie Jones (Stetson University), Assistant Coach Shawn Finney (Stetson University), Head Coach Mark Downey (Arkansas Tech University), Assistant Coach Cornelius Jackson (Marshall University), Head Coach Bryan Poore (West Virginia State University), Head Coach Jeff Burkhamer (University of West Florida), Head Coach Jeff Boals (Ohio University), Head Coach Dave weenieerson (University of South Carolina Upstate), Head Coach Steve Hettinga (Lake Superior State University), Head Coach A.W. Hamilton (Eastern Kentucky University) and Head Coach Gregg Marshall (Wichita State University - Retired).

The "auto-correct" of this site continues to amuse me...  Dave Weenieerson, indeed.  LOL 
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Online wasbarryb

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2021, 10:33:52 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]-1
  • The "auto-correct" of this site continues to amuse me...  Dave Weenieerson, indeed.  LOL

I agree, it both amuses me and confuses me.

Here we can't call a person by their given name without resorting to subterfuge, yet a person can label another poster with a similar, but far more offensive term in my opinion:
    But I guess, once a prick always a  prick. 
    I?ve purchased goods from D!cks, but no way I?m going to Pricks.

And don?t get me started on !diot which sometimes will appear uneditied and sometime comes out ?not so smart?

Offline Toro Toro Taxi

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2021, 10:59:49 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Greg White would had Marshall on the national radar, ESPN did a story on young stars in the coaching world that featured Greg. Marshall AD was not supportive of the men?s basketball program.Here?s some info on Greg?s all star coaches and players :

Greg?s leadership and mentoring abilities propelled many assistant coaches and players to head coaching positions and top assistant positions including Head Coach Kevin Keatts (North Carolina State University), Assistant Coach Steve Snell (North Carolina State), Head Coach Donnie Jones (Stetson University), Assistant Coach Shawn Finney (Stetson University), Head Coach Mark Downey (Arkansas Tech University), Assistant Coach Cornelius Jackson (Marshall University), Head Coach Bryan Poore (West Virginia State University), Head Coach Jeff Burkhamer (University of West Florida), Head Coach Jeff Boals (Ohio University), Head Coach Dave weenieerson (University of South Carolina Upstate), Head Coach Steve Hettinga (Lake Superior State University), Head Coach A.W. Hamilton (Eastern Kentucky University) and Head Coach Gregg Marshall (Wichita State University - Retired).

Greg White benefited from having good assistant coaches , when G Marshall left , things went south quick. He was a convenient hire for when BillyD left.

Offline wlf

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2021, 06:29:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Greg White benefited from having good assistant coaches , when G Marshall left , things went south quick. He was a convenient hire for when BillyD left.
    I agree with most of your posts, not this one. Good coaches know how to delegate and hire recruiters. It?s not luck his coaching and player tree is so successful. Donovan knew to get out of town and Greg was too endeared to Marshall.

?Greg's 2002 Marshall team lead all of college basketball (351 NCAA D-I teams) in 3-point field goal percentage at 44%. The 2002 team set a school record 19 3's in one game. During his tenure at Marshall, Greg had one player, Keith Veney, who hit 15 3's in a game that still serves as an NCAA record. Another player, Ronald Blachshear, had 11 consecutive 3's in a game which tied an NCAA record on his way to hitting 14 3's. His Marshall team had a record-setting 27 home game winning streak. He successfully guided Marshall from the Southern Conference to the Mid-American Conference and took Marshall's graduation rate from the worst in the Mid-American Conference to the BEST! Greg finished his coaching career as the third-winningest coach (29 coaches) in school basketball history!

Greg was known for his recruiting prowess and frequent top 50 recruiting classes, including Marshall?s first NBA player in 30 years, Tamar Slay (WV High School Player of the Year). Greg also recruited J.R. VanHoose (Kentucky?s 1990?s Player of the Decade). Vanhoose and Slay were recently inducted into Marshall?s Hall of Fame, and they are Marshall's seventh and eighth leading scorers! Vanhoose is Marshall's second-leading rebounder. Additional Herd signees during his tenure include Cornelious Jackson and Joda Burgess who were also WV High School Players of the Year. Greg recruited 18 All-Conference selections during his time at Marshall.?
    « Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 06:31:59 PM by wlf »

The following users thanked this post: yogiherd, DC01HERD, coalherd

Offline DC01HERD

« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2021, 06:55:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Travis Young was a good player White recruited. He missed not getting Rashod Kent out of Fairmont. He was close. Kent, Slay, and VanHoose would have gotten us to the tourney. \

White had good regular seasons but %^&* the bed in the conference tournaments. 97,00 and 01 were damn good teams.

Offline Toro Toro Taxi

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2021, 07:31:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree with most of your posts, not this one. Good coaches know how to delegate and hire recruiters. It?s not luck his coaching and player tree is so successful. Donovan knew to get out of town and Greg was too endeared to Marshall.

?Greg's 2002 Marshall team lead all of college basketball (351 NCAA D-I teams) in 3-point field goal percentage at 44%. The 2002 team set a school record 19 3's in one game. During his tenure at Marshall, Greg had one player, Keith Veney, who hit 15 3's in a game that still serves as an NCAA record. Another player, Ronald Blachshear, had 11 consecutive 3's in a game which tied an NCAA record on his way to hitting 14 3's. His Marshall team had a record-setting 27 home game winning streak. He successfully guided Marshall from the Southern Conference to the Mid-American Conference and took Marshall's graduation rate from the worst in the Mid-American Conference to the BEST! Greg finished his coaching career as the third-winningest coach (29 coaches) in school basketball history!

Greg was known for his recruiting prowess and frequent top 50 recruiting classes, including Marshall?s first NBA player in 30 years, Tamar Slay (WV High School Player of the Year). Greg also recruited J.R. VanHoose (Kentucky?s 1990?s Player of the Decade). Vanhoose and Slay were recently inducted into Marshall?s Hall of Fame, and they are Marshall's seventh and eighth leading scorers! Vanhoose is Marshall's second-leading rebounder. Additional Herd signees during his tenure include Cornelious Jackson and Joda Burgess who were also WV High School Players of the Year. Greg recruited 18 All-Conference selections during his time at Marshall.?

I was glad when Greg was hired , at the time. His coaching abilities never impressed me . He got some good recruits , or I should say G Marshall got the good recruits in here . What turned the page for me on White was when I seen him arguing , with a known booster , DURING a game. He didnt just say something to him , he kept it up for a good while . I thought MU was very mediocre while White was here . For White to have gotten all those top50 recruiting classes , it sure didnt translate to wins on the floor . I probably feel towards White like some on here feel about DD . I do think we all want the BB team to win , no matter who is doing the coaching.

Pitino told Billy D he should stay here at least another season since he had a pretty good team coming back but he didnt listen , I think it turned out pretty good for him though.
    « Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 07:33:32 PM by Toro Toro Taxi »

The following users thanked this post: wlf

Offline coalherd

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2021, 10:37:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was glad when Greg was hired , at the time. His coaching abilities never impressed me . He got some good recruits , or I should say G Marshall got the good recruits in here . What turned the page for me on White was when I seen him arguing , with a known booster , DURING a game. He didnt just say something to him , he kept it up for a good while . I thought MU was very mediocre while White was here . For White to have gotten all those top50 recruiting classes , it sure didnt translate to wins on the floor . I probably feel towards White like some on here feel about DD . I do think we all want the BB team to win , no matter who is doing the coaching.

Pitino told Billy D he should stay here at least another season since he had a pretty good team coming back but he didnt listen , I think it turned out pretty good for him though.

Believe also that Pitino had a deal with MU/Donovan to play a game at the CAM but when Billy D. flew the coup, that quickly fell through.

Offline wlf

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2021, 11:08:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hard to believe the women?s basketball coach had a higher salary than Greg White!  That?s a lot of why the basketball program has struggled.

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2021, 07:55:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Greg stopped in to watch practice last Friday
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

HerdFans.com

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2021, 07:55:35 AM »