Author Topic: GAME THREAD -- MU vs LA Lafayette  (Read 2365 times)

Offline Herdalum83

Re: GAME THREAD -- MU vs LA Lafayette
« Reply #125 on: November 25, 2021, 03:46:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I didn't use his stats from this year alone as it's too early in the season to judge based on that.

He's 6'9'' and shoots 39% from three point range over the course of three seasons. Tell me one guy on our current roster who shoots the 3 as well as him?

I would consider that an impact player for sure.

Beyers 3 point percentage isn't quite as good. He is at around 33% for his career. But statistically, he and Jude are REALLY similar. Beyers is probably a bit more athletic and more of a high flyer and Jude is a bit better shooter at least over their careers.

For comparison's purpose, this is what Beyers looks like through 5 games

Minutes - 17.2
    Points - 5.8
    Rebounds - 2.8
    Assists - 1
    Blocks - 0.6
    Turnovers - 2.2
    FG% - 43.5
    3% - 38.5

Jude's numbers look like this

Minutes - 17.8
    Points - 5.8
    Rebounds - 1.6
    Assists - 0.6
    Blocks - 0.2
    Turnovers - 0.8
    FG% - 24.3
    3% - 23.3%

Now granted it seems like Jude is in a pretty bad shooting slump to start this year out especially in comparison to what he's done previously in his career, but even when he's shooting better him and Beyers have very similar career numbers. Those two guys are basically interchangeable. I like Beyers a LOT. Probably more than most people on this board. Idk if I'd call Beyers an impact player though. I'd still take Jude in a heartbeat because he's local and I do think he's good enough to see the floor. But, you're basically getting Beyers with Jude.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #125 on: November 25, 2021, 03:46:14 PM »

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #126 on: November 25, 2021, 04:02:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I love Beyers as well....but Jude is better than Beyers over their careers, at least in terms of three point shooting.

Jude 175 made three pointers.

Beyers has 98 made three pointers.

I would consider it an impact to have another Beyers in terms of three point shooting percentage while putting up twice as many threes in our system.

I would also consider Beyers an impact player in certain games such as the last few games of last season.

and honestly, after looking at the stats, Beyers needs to put up more three pointers (as long as his feet are set.) We should be asking him to be our Austin Loop.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

Offline Herdalum83

« Reply #127 on: November 25, 2021, 04:14:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I love Beyers as well....but Jude is better than Beyers over their careers, at least in terms of three point shooting.

Jude 175 made three pointers.

Beyers has 98 made three pointers.

I would consider it an impact to have another Beyers in terms of three point shooting percentage while putting up twice as many threes in our system.

I would also consider Beyers an impact player in certain games such as the last few games of last season.

and honestly, after looking at the stats, Beyers needs to put up more three pointers (as long as his feet are set.) We should be asking him to be our Austin Loop.

I conceded that Jude is the better shooter, at least career-wise. If Beyers can stay at 38% this season that will be great, I suspect Jude will come out of his slump and end up more around 35% than the current 24% from 3 he is. But, while Jude may be the better shooter, Beyers gives you some other things that Jude cant to the point that stats wise they come out as a wash and essentially even.

Again, I'd still take Jude as if nothing else he would give us more depth and make more of an impact than the player we took over him (Jeremy Dillion) has made.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #128 on: November 25, 2021, 04:40:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • and honestly, after looking at the stats, Beyers needs to put up more three pointers (as long as his feet are set.) We should be asking him to be our Austin Loop.

the problem is, i doubt he's willing to accept that role.  he appears unwilling to play within himself & stay under control.  he can't go 5 mins without turning the ball over doing his worst allen iverson impersonation.  he'd be a lot more valuable if he just came to the realization he's a horrible ball-handler & forget the dribbling in traffic, etc.

The following users thanked this post: wasbarryb, herdfan129

Offline Herdalum83

« Reply #129 on: November 25, 2021, 04:45:08 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0

• the problem is, i doubt he's willing to accept that role.  he appears unwilling to play within himself & stay under control.  he can't go 5 mins without turning the ball over doing his worst allen iverson impersonation.  he'd be a lot more valuable if he just came to the realization he's a horrible ball-handler & forget the dribbling in traffic, etc.

To be fair to Beyers, he only has 1 turnover in his last 2 games or 1 turnover in the last 27 minutes of game action. If he can continue to do that, he'll be ok.

The following users thanked this post: 2xBison, chris88, miltonherdfan, herdfan129

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #130 on: November 25, 2021, 05:25:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• the problem is, i doubt he's willing to accept that role.  he appears unwilling to play within himself & stay under control.  he can't go 5 mins without turning the ball over doing his worst allen iverson impersonation.  he'd be a lot more valuable if he just came to the realization he's a horrible ball-handler & forget the dribbling in traffic, etc.

I agree with this as well. If he would embrace that role then he would definitely be an impact player for us. He needs to primarily spot up and if he has a good shot when he catches it then take it, if not then he needs to pass the ball to someone else most of the time.

He could seriously be a 6?9? version of Loop if he would embrace it.

He does have the ability to take people off the dribble and cut to the basket. Last few games he has been great in terms of taking care of the ball. If he will continue to limit himself to 2-3 dribbles at a time then he will be fine IMO.

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #131 on: November 25, 2021, 05:29:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I conceded that Jude is the better shooter, at least career-wise. If Beyers can stay at 38% this season that will be great, I suspect Jude will come out of his slump and end up more around 35% than the current 24% from 3 he is. But, while Jude may be the better shooter, Beyers gives you some other things that Jude cant to the point that stats wise they come out as a wash and essentially even.

Again, I'd still take Jude as if nothing else he would give us more depth and make more of an impact than the player we took over him (Jeremy Dillion) has made.

I thought Jude was a better shooter but after looking at stats I?m not sure he is. I think Jude puts up more shots and seems to play within himself a little more in terms of shooting though. If Beyers focuses on taking high quality shots but more of them then he is probably the better shooter with more range.

Online coalherd

« Reply #132 on: November 25, 2021, 10:41:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1

• I like Marko and Goran. They weren't in the same class. At the time we passed on Jude we had people like Mijovich, Nikolic, etc on the roster.

Once again, Jude would be the best 3 point shooter on our team.

Hey, everybody relax.  It appears that Danny has finally "wised up" and pulled Coach Rigot's passport to all Eastern European Countries!  So we can relax now, hopefully for a good while!  :D
    « Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 10:50:26 PM by coalherd »

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Online chris88

« Reply #133 on: November 26, 2021, 07:17:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If we can shore up the outside shooting and encourage some guys to forego those shots and attack the basket we have a chance to be pretty good by EOY IMO.

TK showed in 2nd half what we expect: beat guys off dribble and score....he had lacked finishing up to that point except when drawing fouls.  He also needs to not get into 2x, 3x coverage and not know where to go.  If he drives baseline we should always have someone coming down middle (which George etc have done at times). When he drives between block and free throw line we should always have a weak side rebounder coming as nobody covers weak side rebound well. This allows someone else to rotate to corner for a spot up shot. This way he knows where to look when defense coallapses. Right now when not attacking basket from weakside we leave him in no man's land. If nothing else he should look back to corner of same side he drove from.  He's had some nice assists but can't have 5 TOs like he did other night. One on one he should be lethal. When they come from weakside help make them pay.

OAK is what has been missing on defense since Peneva left. A great weakside help presence. This is beyond his ability to guard and block shots. I'd like to see him forego many of those 3 pters and drive and attack basket and kick when defense collapses. He and Toussaint make a real nice inside combo. Byers we need consistency at both ends. Without that, things break down. He should pattern his game after Keith Van Horn and not Michael Jordan. Early looks like the answer as backup/2nd guard.  His size also makes him tough to drive around. Braun doesn't look ready at this point, but it also gives him time to come along and be more helpful as season progresses. It's obvious Serenco is best mechanically sound shooter, but he does other things well now too and should be in regular rotation. George most consistent on team and a great finisher. Goran can be effective in right matchup. Like Braun, Fricks doesn't look ready to me but i'll the coaching staff sees these guys every day.

I think DD should continue using different combos to find right fits but each opponent presents different challenges. I'd find out which 1-2 spots each player has for 3 pt shots that gives them best chance to make and try to keep them only shooting from those spots at this point and i'm sure they chart that. Others I would encourage to drive/dish or score. I know nothing about Indiana this year.  I would hope the goal is to play hard and smart and let the chips fall but I would hope it's a good learning experience.

"Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

HerdFans.com

« Reply #133 on: November 26, 2021, 07:17:45 AM »