Author Topic: Dan D'Antoni named ambassador of Marshall  (Read 809 times)

Online MUfan08

The following users thanked this post: W0lfman, Garbanjo, kpimichael, wlf, elginherd

HerdFans.com

Dan D'Antoni named ambassador of Marshall
« on: April 11, 2024, 06:13:17 PM »

Offline jdonaccbus

Re: Dan D'Antoni named ambassador of Marshall
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2024, 06:23:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It sounds great. The guy has always worn his passion for Marshall on his sleeve.

I honestly think he would make a great ambassador of the school.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, MUfan08, parshall2marshall, kpimichael, horsrman, overherd1, puma

Online MUfan08

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2024, 06:33:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It sounds great. The guy has always worn his passion for Marshall on his sleeve.

I honestly think he would make a great ambassador of the school.

Wonder how much money Marshall is wasting on Dan.

If it is more than a cent it is too much.
    « Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 06:41:12 PM by MUfan08 »

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2, BigJimslade, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline bighat

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2024, 06:36:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They are waisting a belly full.  LOL!

Offline herd1990

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2024, 07:16:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Nice man.  Marshall man.  Glad he's done coaching though.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall

Offline Tim Hensley

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2024, 07:38:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Good move!

Online MUfan08

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2024, 07:43:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  

Offline MUonium

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2024, 09:13:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • this works out well.  good luck in his capacity and thanks (which i assume is charity on his part?)

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2024, 10:24:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Wonder how much money Marshall is wasting on Dan.

If it is more than a cent it is too much.

I wanted to replace DD while this board was bashing me for it, but this comment is ridiculous.

DD is a great ambassador for Marshall and is well deserving of this role. What he does with this role  I?m not sure, but he deserves the opportunity imo.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

Offline MarshallSteve

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2024, 10:40:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • https://x.com/CassidyWoodTV/status/1778513843813007568
    That's awesome. What a great honor. Happy for coach Dan.

Sent from my SM-A546U using Tapatalk

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2024, 10:56:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So Marshall is cashed strapped and has a hard enough time paying for quality coaches and we add a position like this? I hope it's charity and not taking money away from coaches salaries. Maybe this is why Corny only get a little over half of what Dan made as coach? But I guess you have to keep the good ole boy networks wheels greased.

The following users thanked this post: THECHAMPISHERE, BigJimslade

Online MUfan08

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2024, 11:16:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• I wanted to replace DD while this board was bashing me for it, but this comment is ridiculous.

DD is a great ambassador for Marshall and is well deserving of this role. What he does with this role  I?m not sure, but he deserves the opportunity imo.

Please

Dan was retired for the last three years and racked in over 2 million dollars being the godfather over the basketball program.
    We created a position for him to keep him and his cronies happy even though the university is cash strapped (still 20 some million is debt).

Dan over the last three years has not taken any responsibility and blames anything and everyone for the shortcomings of the program that he is ultimately responsible for. Hope that is not the Marshall way and relaying that type of message and example to future students.

Also, how is our program supposed to move on and Corney to own the program when Dan is just hanging around.

The last 4 months and especially the last month has left a sour taste regarding Dan.

Hopefully this is a voluntary position and Dan can eat all the food there at the events for free.

The following users thanked this post: herdly4, herdorbust2, BigJimslade, Lord Haw-Haw

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2024, 11:16:41 PM »

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2024, 11:55:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • perhaps this is why he wasn't "owed nor paid" a buyout?  perhaps he had 1 of those "reassigned to another position" clauses where, in the event he's relieved of his coaching duties before the end of his contract, he's still assured a paid administrative position of some sort for the remainder?  "we're not gonna pay you a buyout, but we'll offer you a cushy job instead should you still desire to earn a paycheck for all 3 yrs."

just a guess...

Offline BigJimslade

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2024, 12:50:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Dumb move

The following users thanked this post: Lord Haw-Haw

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2024, 05:51:02 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Below is a link to the press release. It gives details of the appointment.

From the release, I found this information very interesting. Doesn't the new coach usually run his own program? I hope Corny can run his own program with out Dan and be his own man.

"An avid supporter of new Men?s Basketball Head Coach Cornelius Jackson, D?Antoni will work under Corny?s direction to create a smooth transition."

https://www.marshall.edu/news/2024/04/dan-dantoni-appointed-as-marshall-ambassador-and-technical-advisor/
    « Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 07:09:42 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

Online MUfan08

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2024, 06:35:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Marshall University today announced the appointment of Lewis (Dan) D?Antoni as ambassador and advisor in support of advancing its visionary strategy ? Marshall For All, Marshall Forever ? a roadmap that aims to level the playing field of opportunity for all who have the aspiration and grit to try.

In making the announcement, Marshall University President Brad D. Smith said there are few in Marshall history who epitomize the phrase ? Marshall for All, Marshall Forever ? like Dan D?Antoni.

?His journey has showcased the arc of possibility and achievement, while dedicating his life to the success of the next generation and Marshall University, ? Smith said. ?After years of contribution to the Marshall Men?s Basketball program ? from player to head coach ? Dan is now transitioning into a new role as a Marshall ambassador and advisor.?

In this position, D?Antoni will collaborate closely with Marshall?s president to inspire the next generation of high school students to dream big and choose Marshall as their gateway to prosperity. His efforts will include supporting the highly successful ?Run with the Herd? initiative to champion the Marshall story across West Virginia and throughout Appalachia. In addition, he will be engaged with potential and longstanding donors to advance the university?s aspirations.

?I am thrilled for this next chapter of Marshall?s journey with Dan D?Antoni,? said Smith. ?The unwavering love that Dan has for the school and this state, which has been evident throughout his career, will continue to inspire, guide, and enable the future of Marshall University in meaningful ways.?

An avid supporter of new Men?s Basketball Head Coach Cornelius Jackson, D?Antoni will work under Corny?s direction to create a smooth transition.

?I am excited to continue doing my part for my school,? D?Antoni said.  ?I want to thank Brad Smith for allowing me to be a part of what I know will be historic growth at Marshall University.?

Offline Ovaltine Jenkins

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2024, 06:59:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Interesting. It seems to me that Marshall needs to up its game with out of state and international students. If you were going to create this type of position I would think it would be someone who has name recognition in academia/sports that goes beyond the State of West Virginia. Now if it would have been Mike named to this position, I would fully understand, given his background and experience. (Does Dan even travel, other than to the basketball games he has to attend?)

I know if I mention Marshall sports people in my neck of the woods, many know Coach Huff's name, but when talking basketball, I always have to throw in the caveat of Mike D'Antoni's brother. This sounds like compensation to Dan's ego. But what do I know? Mine its just another uniformed opinion.
    « Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 08:31:47 AM by Ovaltine Jenkins »

The following users thanked this post: Flat Tire 2

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2024, 07:06:02 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I wonder if Dan is on social media? I wonder if a 17 year old high school student would relate to a nearly 80 year old person. Dan would be better with fundraising with older alumni.

The following users thanked this post: Ovaltine Jenkins, herdly4

Offline THECHAMPISHERE

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2024, 07:39:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This reeks of "If you step down we'll find a way to keep paying you." Or "to keep you happy we'll keep paying you." Or "to keep a few donors happy we'll keep paying". Only at Marshall do we keep paying/hire a guy we just fired...who ultimately (despite the tourney win forever ago) actually took Marshall Basketball WAY backwards.

This is a Marshall type move of the last 20 years for sure. We can never just focus on winning here...we have to use the Athletic department to keep 17 buddies happy. Again we found a way to get a guy to and through retirement. 

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08, miltonherdfan, herdorbust2, Lord Haw-Haw

Online svherd

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2024, 08:27:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't mind it. Marshall has never been a marketing machine, so if we can get another voice out there tooting our horn, why not? It's tough to compete for students, especially those who live on campus. If this continues to help us increase our enrollment, let the man be a part of the team. I doubt he will be involved more than a few years. jmho

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline jdonaccbus

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2024, 10:25:03 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Some interesting posts here since my initial posts.

*I do think it is valid that it may be hard for Dan to reach 17-18 year olds. Like some have said, he is one of the few coaches that didn't have a twitter.

*I didn't see the post about him working with Corny for a "smooth transition". I wanted him done from basketball here. I appreciate some of his efforts here, but his way of thinking with a roster was completely out-dated and Corny just needs to implement things in his own way, especially on the defensive front.
    « Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 10:30:01 AM by jdonaccbus »

The following users thanked this post: Collis P

Offline coalherd

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2024, 10:58:42 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This reeks of "If you step down we'll find a way to keep paying you." Or "to keep you happy we'll keep paying you." Or "to keep a few donors happy we'll keep paying". Only at Marshall do we keep paying/hire a guy we just fired...who ultimately (despite the tourney win forever ago) actually took Marshall Basketball WAY backwards.

This is a Marshall type move of the last 20 years for sure. We can never just focus on winning here...we have to use the Athletic department to keep 17 buddies happy. Again we found a way to get a guy to and through retirement.

MU just persistently insists on following the City of Huntington?s ?proven? roadmap to a successful and prosperous future.  And how exactly has that roadmap worked out for the ?We Will City? over the last 50 to 60 years?  Hint:  Check the population figures for the last 5 decades or so!!
    « Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 11:06:13 AM by coalherd »

The following users thanked this post: THECHAMPISHERE

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2024, 10:58:42 AM »

Online goherd73

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2024, 11:34:36 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• I think the Run with the Herd program was pretty successful during the last couple of years.
    Brought in lots of 5th - 8th graders.
    Required them to set goals to become a better person.
    Showed the importance of college (especially Marshall) to 11 to 14 year olds's.

I like the idea of reaching out to them before High School.

It also sounds like fundraising and schmoozing with donors will be a part of his job.
    That's right up Dan's alley.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline MUther

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2024, 12:05:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hope a prospective student doesn't ask him a question he doesn't want to hear.  Or he fails to make it to a college day at some high school because he forgot.

He wasn't even a good ambassador of his own program.
    « Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 12:07:14 PM by MUther »

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08, Lord Haw-Haw

HerdFans.com

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2024, 12:05:37 PM »