Author Topic: Women?s Basketball Transfers  (Read 905 times)

Offline MUtim

• Benefactors of HerdFans
  • All American
  • Member Since 08/2009
Women?s Basketball Transfers
« on: April 08, 2024, 03:09:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Looks like we already have 3, possibly 4 players who have already hit portal.

1) Aislynn Hayes
    2) Mo Matthews
    3) Sydni Scott

I?ve heard CC too.

I think it?s safe to assume Burdette has no interest in taking over. 

HerdFans.com

Women?s Basketball Transfers
    « on: April 08, 2024, 03:09:22 PM »

Offline MicDrass1

Re: Women?s Basketball Transfers
    « Reply #1 on: April 08, 2024, 03:22:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Looks like we already have 3, possibly 4 players who have already hit portal.

1) Aislynn Hayes
    2) Mo Matthews
    3) Sydni Scott

I?ve heard CC too.

I think it?s safe to assume Burdette has no interest in taking over.

None of them going to UT.  No way.

Online gochneaur645

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2024, 04:03:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Portal doesn't mean you have to leave. Probably the smart thing for every player to do until they know who their new coach is going to be.

The following users thanked this post: Collis P, chris88

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2024, 04:07:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • True gochneaur645. I did expect some to enter the portal. I also agree they will probably not end up at Tennessee.

Online 2xBison

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2024, 07:08:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • She's leaving the program gutted.  Didn't we lose a good player at beginning of year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

Online svherd

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2024, 07:54:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Both basketball programs have an uphill battle. The women's losing a great coach and some solid players. The men having just two legit D1 players for the next season. OUCH!

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Flat Tire 2, herdorbust2

Offline ru4mu2

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2024, 08:15:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • One of the players Mom's commented on FB that Jenna is indeed following Kim to UT.

So we force out the Men's coach after 2 disastrous seasons in the past 3 years and promote the associate head coach. 
    Women's coach leaves for a lifetime opportunity after an incredible run and we decide to do a national search.  Maybe she waned to go or maybe she was told she wouldn't be considered. 

The following users thanked this post: MUtim, parshall2marshall, MUinDE, Flat Tire 2

Offline jdonaccbus

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2024, 08:23:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We have to keep in mind that it is a different era. Players can leave at the drop of a hat. But you can also immediately bring kids in and they don't have to sit out. The "building the program" with all freshmen players and having them for four years is a thing of the past whether we like it or not.

There are examples out there of teams that lose coaches, bring in a coach who works the portal and continues on with success. Didn't Utah State men's team just do that this past season? The key is to hire someone who is attractive to the right transfers.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, ru4mu2, chris88

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2024, 08:43:43 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We have to keep in mind that it is a different era. Players can leave at the drop of a hat. But you can also immediately bring kids in and they don't have to sit out. The "building the program" with all freshmen players and having them for four years is a thing of the past whether we like it or not.

There are examples out there of teams that lose coaches, bring in a coach who works the portal and continues on with success. Didn't Utah State men's team just do that this past season? The key is to hire someone who is attractive to the right transfers.

Utah State lost every player who scored points in the previous season when the coach left the program. The new coach rebuilt the team with transfers and got a bid to The Big Dance. By the way, that should have proved to Dan the portal was the way to go since USU beat him soundly on a neutral floor.

If the players leave, I would bet the new coach hits the portal and builds a good team. Losing players is part of college sports.
    « Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 08:56:25 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

Offline chris88

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2024, 08:57:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I doubt very seriously MU told Jenna she is not in candidate pool.  Timing was probably the biggest issue with her. KC needs to hit ground running at UT and no way she could afford to wait that long to give KC an answer. On MU side, there was little chance they hire Jenna without interviewing someone else considering Jenna has never, as far as I know, been a HC at any level. IF that is the case, you can't blame either party.

Potentially losing CC and Scott probably bigger due to them being just Jrs this coming year. Mathews a graduate and the older Hayes a SR.  Would be nice once we hire a coach if they all come back. Hayes, imo, could end up at UT but I doubt it just because KC likely can't afford to give a scholly to her sister...unless she is willing to be a walkon. Even then it's doubtful. The older Hayes will attract a ton of interest in the portal imo.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, svherd

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2024, 08:57:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Utah State lost every player who scored points in the previous season when the coach left the program. The new coach rebuilt the team with transfers and got a bid to The Big Dance. By the way, that should have proved to Dan the portal was the way to go since USU beat him soundly on a neutral floor.

It can happen but not likely. That was one program that did that. Make no mistake the woman's program is gutted and the system that made it happen left when the coach did. Anything is possible but I'm willing to bet that the woman are in for a long season next year.

The following users thanked this post: horsrman

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2024, 09:05:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• It can happen but not likely. That was one program that did that. Make no mistake the woman's program is gutted and the system that made it happen left when the coach did. Anything is possible but I'm willing to bet that the woman are in for a long season next year.

Well, Kevin Keatts brought in three new starters from the portal and made it to the Final Four.  Times have changed.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-basketball/news/nc-state-roster-breakdown-kevin-keatts-transfer-portal/e546193bc3a9bbecbd494769
    « Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 09:10:16 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: svherd, chris88

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2024, 09:05:24 AM »

Offline MUonium

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2024, 10:52:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • time is ticking for a new coach and recruiting the portal.

i've seen a lot of talk recently about coaches having a formula.  i believe that.  that they take the best of what they've learned and studied, put in a tremendous amount of hours and carefully choose the people (coaches, players and support) they surround themselves with.

without knowing how Caldwell coached in specific, day to day terms, i'm going to guess that one of the best things she probably did was to simplify the game for players and left the rest to the staff.

people say there's no such thing as luck.  i believe there is- for example, you cannot possibly know everything there is to know about a recruit.  there might be just one aspect of that person's personal life or playing potential you didn't foresee, for a terrible or great outcome.

the right coach and less than a handful of the right players can make it happen any year even if the odds are a bit more stacked against

The following users thanked this post: chris88, MicDrass1

Offline ru4mu2

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2024, 12:00:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I doubt very seriously MU told Jenna she is not in candidate pool.  Timing was probably the biggest issue with her. KC needs to hit ground running at UT and no way she could afford to wait that long to give KC an answer. On MU side, there was little chance they hire Jenna without interviewing someone else considering Jenna has never, as far as I know, been a HC at any level. IF that is the case, you can't blame either party.

Potentially losing CC and Scott probably bigger due to them being just Jrs this coming year. Mathews a graduate and the older Hayes a SR.  Would be nice once we hire a coach if they all come back. Hayes, imo, could end up at UT but I doubt it just because KC likely can't afford to give a scholly to her sister...unless she is willing to be a walkon. Even then it's doubtful. The older Hayes will attract a ton of interest in the portal imo.
    True, Just did that on the Men's side.  Can't take that chance (i kid, i kid)  Agree with the other things.  I wouldn't mind having UT's old coach!  Haven't heard her mentioned.

The following users thanked this post: chris88

Offline chris88

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2024, 01:25:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • True, Just did that on the Men's side.  Can't take that chance (i kid, i kid)  Agree with the other things.  I wouldn't mind having UT's old coach!  Haven't heard her mentioned.

A little different since no way DD was taking a top D1 job and Corny had to decide whether to follow him:) I would take UT old coach in a second.  It would also be nice if KC set up a 1-1 deal to play MU.

I looked at the transfer portal before KC took job and there are a ton of players in it and many high quality. Most of these won't be picked up by power programs but are more than good enough to elevate MU to top of SBC while getting significant PT. Only a handful have already signed elsewhere. Again, you have to have a system and know what kind of player fits that system well.

Update: As of last night (Tues 4/9) CC Mays not in portal yet.  Also of note two SMiss transfers already plucked by ULM
    « Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 08:50:09 PM by chris88 »
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: herdfan93, parshall2marshall, ru4mu2

HerdFans.com

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2024, 01:25:25 PM »