Author Topic: Buyout money for 6 remaining years  (Read 1660 times)

Offline W0lfman

Buyout money for 6 remaining years
« on: April 07, 2024, 02:22:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How much we getting?

HerdFans.com

Buyout money for 6 remaining years
    « on: April 07, 2024, 02:22:26 PM »

Online Tim Hensley

Re: Buyout money for 6 remaining years
    « Reply #1 on: April 07, 2024, 02:53:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • $600,000

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, miltonherdfan, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline Skidude

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2024, 02:58:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Head Caldwell's buyout was right around the $2,000,000 figure.

Don't know if it's true or not.

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2024, 03:30:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't know how reliable the below link UT will have to pay Marshall $600,000.

"The Daily Beacon obtained Caldwell's contract via a public records request, which shows her base pay as $750,000 and it will run through March 31, 2029. The University of Tennessee is also responsible for paying Caldwell's $600,000 buyout at Marshall. The contract totals five years for $3.75 million."

"As for incentive compensation, Caldwell will receive $400,000 for winning the NCAA National Championship. She receives $200,000 for appearing in the title game, $150,000 for a Final Four berth, $100,000 for an Elite Eight appearance, $75,000 for a Sweet 16, $40,000 for a Round of 32 appearance and $25,000 for making the tournament."

https://www.utdailybeacon.com/sports/womens_basketball/contract-details-for-new-lady-vols-basketball-coach-kim-caldwell/article_aee1651c-f508-11ee-b96c-338bad252fe5.html

The following users thanked this post: W0lfman, miltonherdfan

Offline W0lfman

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2024, 03:38:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Buyout only 600k? I figured it would have been more.

The following users thanked this post: herdfifteen, miltonherdfan

Online svherd

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2024, 06:38:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We prolly caved. Like we do in a lot of these cases. Letting a schools out of contracts, etc.

UT said well lay you 6K and we said yes.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline MUfan08

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2024, 06:43:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Any chance we get UT at the Cam out of this deal.

Offline Skidude

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2024, 06:47:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If Burdette get the head coaching position - may get a game against UT in Knoxville.  Don't think we will ever see UT in Huntington.

Offline Lord Haw-Haw

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2024, 11:37:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • $600,000
    Use it to send Gnarls packing!

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline MUther

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2024, 12:22:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If Burdette get the head coaching position - may get a game against UT in Knoxville.  Don't think we will ever see UT in Huntington.

Even if she doesn't, we should have made that a condition of such a low buyout.  They come here and play a game at the Cam, in men's and women's or they double that buyout.

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan

Online HerdEcon

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2024, 11:41:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • To put things in prospective, the University of Tennessee's athletic department budget for the 2022-2023 fiscal year was $202.1 million in revenue and $191 million in expenses, which resulted in a $11.1 million surplus.  UT invested $8.4 million of the surplus into capital projects.  In 2021, UT paid Bowling Green State University $1.5 million to play the first game of the season at Neyland Stadium.

Marshall's athletic budget for the 2024 fiscal year is $37.2 million. 

UT laughed at the $600k buyout. 

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, svherd, MUinDE, ru4mu2

Offline lexkyherdfan

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Heisman
    • GKI Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #11 on: April 08, 2024, 01:00:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Was the buyout only for base salary?  We all know there are salaries by the school and then salaries for other part of the jobs.  I don?t know what her contract was based on previously but that could be why only $600k. Just a thought.

We can take the money and use it in the program. Get her to bring UT to Huntington (never happen) but Florida did come to Huntington this past season but of course they are not the level of UT either.

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2024, 01:00:17 PM »

Offline MUther

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2024, 02:29:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Was the buyout only for base salary?  We all know there are salaries by the school and then salaries for other part of the jobs.  I don?t know what her contract was based on previously but that could be why only $600k. Just a thought.

We can take the money and use it in the program. Get her to bring UT to Huntington (never happen) but Florida did come to Huntington this past season but of course they are not the level of UT either.

I would think the buyout would be explicitly spelled out in the contract.  But even at base salary it was worth more than 600k.  That's about two years of salary. 

We don't often get leverage over a big program, but we had it here, and should have used it.  Maybe they owe us a favor now.  No idea what they talked about.

Offline MUfan08

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2024, 02:43:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

We will get that home football game finally that we signed with UT and Kayo canceled haha.

The following users thanked this post: mu79grad, luckytoes99

Online andy31

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2024, 02:53:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Nm
    « Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 03:23:05 PM by andy31 »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline VA Herd Fan

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2024, 09:15:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would suspect that nobody expected the success the program had in year 1. Maybe not even Kim. Thus they never thought she would be considered for a top job this soon.
    Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions.  Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.  Mark Twain

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2024, 09:36:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would suspect that nobody expected the success the program had in year 1. Maybe not even Kim. Thus they never thought she would be considered for a top job this soon.

That is a good point. I don't think anyone thought she would be that successful in her first year and attract a top program. The buyout at the time sounded like a reasonable plan. At least we are receiving the $600,000 payment.

Has anyone heard anything about her replacement? I just checked and there are no press releases from Marshall about a "search committee". I wonder if they will even do a search committee? They might be using a headhunter to canvas potential hires? Let's face it, WB was not a high priority at Marshall until now. As with any hire, getting a good coach who can continue the success is very important.

Remember when UT hired away former MU President Wade Gilley? Hopefully Kim works out better for UT than did Gilley.

Online mu79grad

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2024, 10:30:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That is a good point. I don't think anyone thought she would be that successful in her first year and attract a top program. The buyout at the time sounded like a reasonable plan. At least we are receiving the $600,000 payment.

Has anyone heard anything about her replacement? I just checked and there are no press releases from Marshall about a "search committee". I wonder if they will even do a search committee? They might be using a headhunter to canvas potential hires? Let's face it, WB was not a high priority at Marshall until now. As with any hire, getting a good coach who can continue the success is very important.

Remember when UT hired away former MU President Wade Gilley? Hopefully Kim works out better for UT than did Gilley.

I am pretty sure that Mike Hamrick never used a search committee.  I would be surprised if Christian Spears did his search any differently.  Of course, President Smith might get involved as he did with Corny. 

Offline gtrman4herd

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2024, 01:34:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The buyout, which was in her MU contract, was 100K per year remaining on contract. Her base was 225K at Marshall.   
    But your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more.
    They're already overcrowded from your dirty little war.
    Now Jesus don't like killin' no matter what the reason's for,
    And your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more.
    *John Prine*

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, miltonherdfan

Online s1uggo

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2024, 02:41:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am pretty sure that Mike Hamrick never used a search committee.  I would be surprised if Christian Spears did his search any differently.  Of course, President Smith might get involved as he did with Corny.
    Actually Beatrice will probably do the search as she did with Softball.  The first 2 Spears candidates turned him down.  Actually the first 2 Spears candidates for Track turned him down as well. And look what we got, 1/2 more point in the conference meet, and times across the board (except the distance runners still being coached by Caleb) off last years times as well.  But change is good, right!!

The following users thanked this post: mu79grad

Online svherd

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2024, 03:31:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Actually Beatrice will probably do the search as she did with Softball.  The first 2 Spears candidates turned him down.  Actually the first 2 Spears candidates for Track turned him down as well. And look what we got, 1/2 more point in the conference meet, and times across the board (except the distance runners still being coached by Caleb) off last years times as well.  But change is good, right!!
    This is why JMU kicks tail in many sports. They do a thorough job in searching and hiring good coaches. Our previous AD hired one good coach who proved his worth over time - Grassie. Spears hired Caldwell, home run but she bolted. The other hires have yet to be determined

We need a coach for the women who plays up tempo and can use the portal. A slow down game isn't fan friendly. Jmo

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: HerdEcon

Online HerdEcon

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2024, 08:39:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is why JMU kicks tail in many sports. They do a thorough job in searching and hiring good coaches. Our previous AD hired one good coach who proved his worth over time - Grassie. Spears hired Caldwell, home run but she bolted. The other hires have yet to be determined

We need a coach for the women who plays up tempo and can use the portal. A slow down game isn't fan friendly. Jmo

I agree.  Now that fans have gotten to see an exciting, fast pace team and the results there's no going back.  Fans were critical of Huff for his lack of ability to put an exciting offense on the field to complement the defense and some want a men's basketball coach to play a fast pace.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2024, 08:39:52 PM »