Author Topic: Jenna Burdette  (Read 3258 times)

Offline chris88

Re: Jenna Burdette
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2024, 05:39:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Women's basketball is back to 200 people a game.  We were lucky to have a special person as our coach who took accountability.

Women's basketball averaged over 700 before KC.  The sport and it's revenues are growing across the nation and will be a revenue sport for many over next several years especially with NCAA beginning tourney revenue payouts. The next hire is important to keep the momentum.

Some assistants don't want to be HC (Jeff Battle for instance). Jenna in a good spot, would be great if she took HC job here.  The thing KC did was elevate the job. Coaches can see MU as a stepping stone to an elite job after one year. Not sure it gets better than that from a profile stand point.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: luckytoes99

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2024, 05:39:50 PM »

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2024, 05:48:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ashland does a good job in sports.  I like using the D2 model right now at MU. 

Offline MUonium

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2024, 05:52:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Pickens seems like a great choice to interview

The following users thanked this post: horsrman

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2024, 06:09:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ashland HC uses the portal

Online MUfan08

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2024, 06:18:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ashland HC uses the portal

With the NCAA currently have their transfer rules suspended until litigation ruling, every sport and team must use the portal or you do not survive in this sports climate.

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #30 on: April 07, 2024, 06:53:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I guess I was wrong about big schools not wanting to full court press every second of the game.

Hell just hire another full court press coach.  Have 2 point guards that can score and 2 tall players and 10 kids that are willing to play defense like maniacs and play 5-10 minutes per game.

I think if Jenna was offered 275k to be a head coach or 200-250 to be an assistant, take the HC job all day long, because 275 HC can lead to 750-1 million HC salary.    200k assistant leads to a 250k assistant by just getting annual raises.

Offline MUther

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2024, 11:33:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm guessing that your first paragraph explains the second.

Let's look at it from Coach Jenna's POV:
    If her ambitions are to become a HC at a high major or upper level midmajor, which treadmill would she rather run on right now in the pursuit?
    IDK that answer.

Seems like if she took the job here, she could have one really good year and end up a head coach in the SEC.  Don't see that happening as an assistant under Kim...just sayin'

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2024, 07:31:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Is the below an omen since Marshall just promoted another "Associate Head Coach".

"Marshall Women's Basketball Coach Kim Stephens announced on Tuesday that assistant coach Jenna Burdette has been elevated to the role of Associate Head Coach.
    Stephens confirmed the promotion for Burdette on Tuesday morning.

"Jenna was with me at Glenville for two seasons and helped us win back-to-back championships," Stephens said of Burdette. "She's as good as it gets. She is loyal, competitive and has a phenomenal basketball mind. Most importantly, she has a big heart and will do what's best for Marshall and our players daily."
    https://herdzone.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/coaches/jenna-burdette/666

The Ashland coach sounds interesting. Personally I would always like to see Marshall hire a coach who has head coaching experience or has been a top a assistant at a high level program. That is my reservation about hiring Corny, no head coaching experience and he hasn't work for a good college coach.

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline svherd

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2024, 08:31:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would like to see the assistant get the job, that would keep most of the gals on roster here but also continue the unique style of play. A more traditional coach will have a heck of a time getting enough quality kids to come here and win the league. We've tried that with the past coaches and had very little success historically. jmho

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline FilmJunky

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2024, 08:31:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Burdette's knowledge of the game is great. We can't deny that. The only concern that there may be is age. I believe she is 27 -28 years old. I would be perfectly fine with this hire but I'm not sure this is the direction they will go.

Offline elginherd

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2024, 08:47:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would like to see the assistant get the job, that would keep most of the gals on roster here but also continue the unique style of play. A more traditional coach will have a heck of a time getting enough quality kids to come here and win the league. We've tried that with the past coaches and had very little success historically. jmho
    Playing Kemper ball didn't exactly fill the lower bowl either. Most of the "crowds" wouldn't fill some of the area's high school gyms.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2024, 08:48:54 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My pick is Kari Pickens. Her experience is very similar to KC and her record is phenomenal.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2024, 08:48:54 AM »

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2024, 09:05:03 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Is the below an omen since Marshall just promoted another "Associate Head Coach".

I think someone posted an official tweet from university announcing national search, which obviously never happened with MBB job, so based on that, I'm gonna say no. Not to say we won't hire her in the end, but her ASSOC HC title apparently didn't include "CIW" designation like CJ's did.

The following users thanked this post: chris88

Online ru4mu2

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2024, 09:09:54 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• I think someone posted an official tweet from university announcing national search, which obviously never happened with MBB job, so based on that, I'm gonna say no. Not to say we won't hire her in the end, but her ASSOC HC title apparently didn't include "CIW" designation like CJ's did.
    https://www.wsaz.com/video/2024/04/07/mu-president-reacts-kim-caldwell-leaving-ut/

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan

Offline jdonaccbus

« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2024, 09:55:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Didn't Burdette play for WV Thunder and has some strong connections with that organization?

Offline FilmJunky

« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2024, 10:04:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Didn't Burdette play for WV Thunder and has some strong connections with that organization?

Yes.

The following users thanked this post: Collis P

Offline jdonaccbus

« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2024, 10:13:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Burdette's knowledge of the game is great. We can't deny that. The only concern that there may be is age. I believe she is 27 -28 years old. I would be perfectly fine with this hire but I'm not sure this is the direction they will go.

I believe we hired Billy Donovan when he was 28 years old. I don't believe he turned 29 until the summer prior to his first season here.

The following users thanked this post: FilmJunky

Offline MarshallSteve

« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2024, 10:18:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would think Jenna or Kari Pickens would be fine.

Go with Jenna if you want to keep the same style and keep some of the players here

« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 10:52:01 AM by MarshallSteve »

The following users thanked this post: svherd, chris88

Offline elginherd

« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2024, 11:00:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would think Jenna or Kari Pickens would be fine.

Go with Jenna if you want to keep the same style and keep some of the players here

I just watched part of the 2023 D-2 championship game of GSU vs Ashland.
    It looks like Coach Kari likes to play a similar style as Coach Kim...maybe a tad less frenetic.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Offline FilmJunky

« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2024, 11:02:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I believe we hired Billy Donovan when he was 28 years old. I don't believe he turned 29 until the summer prior to his first season here.

100%, Never know what this administration is thinking though. Age did not seem to stop them from hiring Zerkle for softball so we will see. I'd say Caldwell has put in a very very good word for Burdette with Marshalls administration.

Offline Tim Hensley

« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2024, 11:08:11 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would say that Kim will take Jenna with her.  She seems to be her alter ego and she will need someone to hold her hand during some coming insecure times.  You're not in Glenville anymore, honey.

Online ru4mu2

« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2024, 11:19:36 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would say that Kim will take Jenna with her.  She seems to be her alter ego and she will need someone to hold her hand during some coming insecure times.  You're not in Glenville anymore, honey.
    Depends on a few things and what Jenna's career path is.  I'm sure Kim will want to take her.  If she follows would probably depend on if she's offered the MU job.  Would be hard to turn down if your goal is to be a HC.  But, some like being career assistants and that's fine too.  Iowa's women's team top assistant has been there 24 years....
    « Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 12:09:30 PM by ru4mu2 »

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2024, 11:19:36 AM »

Online MUfan08

« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2024, 11:39:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Kim will do fine, she actually takes accountability, has structure and holds her players to a standard. Unlike Danny who is still blaming Andy Taylor, and yelling at refs.

The following users thanked this post: Skidude, svherd, Collis P, Flat Tire 2, miltonherdfan, herdorbust2

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2024, 11:52:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

What a crappy thing to say. I'm sure she knows she isn't in Glenville. Why can't you be happy for a Parkersburg girls rising success? Do you even know where you are?

The following users thanked this post: ru4mu2, Collis P, miltonherdfan

Online The Right Stuff

« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2024, 12:04:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Tim is still upset about Danny being shown the door.

TRS
    Mu 71

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08, svherd, ru4mu2, Collis P, miltonherdfan, herdorbust2, FilmJunky

HerdFans.com

« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2024, 12:04:23 PM »