Author Topic: Jenna Burdette  (Read 3259 times)

Offline Skidude

Jenna Burdette
« on: April 07, 2024, 01:57:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hope Christian Spears IMMEDIATELY offers the head coaching position to Jenna Burdette.

I'm sure Tennessee can/will pay her more to be an assistant under Caldwell than Marshall can/would pay her as head coach.  Hopefully, she wants to be a head coach more than she wants to be an assistant at Tennessee.

The following users thanked this post: jdonaccbus, Collis P, ed swain, chris88, Herdalum94, herdorbust2

HerdFans.com

Jenna Burdette
    « on: April 07, 2024, 01:57:14 PM »

Online MUonium

Re: Jenna Burdette
    « Reply #1 on: April 07, 2024, 02:00:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hope Christian Spears IMMEDIATELY offers the head coaching position to Jenna Burdette.

I'm sure Tennessee can/will pay her more to be an assistant under Caldwell than Marshall can/would pay her as head coach.  Hopefully, she wants to be a head coach more than she wants to be an assistant at Tennessee.

all i know is that i liked her game-day attention to the game, her demeanor etc- she seemed even cooler than Caldwell, if that's possible.

The following users thanked this post: D1

Offline MarshallSteve

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2024, 02:14:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Agree. That's what needs to be done. She has been Kim's right hand person for quite a while now and from what I've seen, she is the one doing all the X's and O's during the timeouts.

Sent from my SM-A546U using Tapatalk

Offline Tim Hensley

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2024, 02:18:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I just hope she takes her husband with her.  A forced waste of money in my opinion...

The following users thanked this post: W0lfman, miltonherdfan, Herdalum94

Online gochneaur645

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2024, 02:24:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Spears already announced a "national search" for whatever that's worth. Seems like we got those completely backwards for the men's and women's vacancies.

https://twitter.com/PaulSwann/status/1777031694450598062

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan

Online elginherd

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2024, 02:37:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Spears already announced a "national search" for whatever that's worth. Seems like we got those completely backwards for the men's and women's vacancies.

https://twitter.com/PaulSwann/status/1777031694450598062

Or it could be that Jenna's not interested in being the Herd head coach.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Offline ThunderingHerdFan

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2024, 02:45:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I just hope she takes her husband with her.  A forced waste of money in my opinion...

D-2 head coach taking the 4th assistant position... he was more than qualified. He wasn't bagging groceries then given the mens assistant job. You're entitled to opinions like everyone else. And like everyone else, myself included, you won't bat 1.000 with them.

The following users thanked this post: MUinDE, horsrman, chris88, herdfan129

Offline jdonaccbus

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2024, 02:51:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Why would it have mattered? Dan really never let most of the assistants do any thing during game day but sit there. He never consulted them during multiple timeouts during a game.

What did Dan ever do for his assistants? I have thought for quite some time now that Adam Williams would have been better off in the long run sticking with Donnie Jones at Stetson.

Offline jdonaccbus

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2024, 02:54:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would love to have Burdette as head coach. Unfortunately I feel Caldwell realizes how important she is as a right-hand woman to her and probably had it negotiated for her to come with her with a pretty good contract. Maybe I am wrong.

I am a little confused why we have to do a "national search" instead of promoting within with a program that has shown some serious juice while in the meantime we DON'T do a "national search" and promote within for a program that was having a serious negative regression in all phases. Like I said, I support Corny, but these messages from within are confusing to supporters.....that is all.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, chris88, Flat Tire 2, miltonherdfan, MicDrass1, Herdalum94

Offline TheHerd

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2024, 03:40:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If she would take the Marshall Women?s Basketball Head Coaching position instead of going to Tennessee with Caldwell, you absolutely hire her immediately. Keep the success going and allow for consistency within a program with momentum.

The following users thanked this post: chris88

Online elginherd

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2024, 03:45:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would love to have Burdette as head coach. Unfortunately I feel Caldwell realizes how important she is as a right-hand woman to her and probably had it negotiated for her to come with her with a pretty good contract. Maybe I am wrong.

I am a little confused why we have to do a "national search" instead of promoting within with a program that has shown some serious juice while in the meantime we DON'T do a "national search" and promote within for a program that was having a serious negative regression in all phases. Like I said, I support Corny, but these messages from within are confusing to supporters.....that is all.

I'm guessing that your first paragraph explains the second.

Let's look at it from Coach Jenna's POV:
    If her ambitions are to become a HC at a high major or upper level midmajor, which treadmill would she rather run on right now in the pursuit?
    IDK that answer.

Online miltonherdfan

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2024, 03:57:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Y'all really think an ASST for TN WBB makes more than our HC?  Not implying you're crazy, but that would really surprise me!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2024, 03:57:36 PM »

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2024, 04:03:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Caldwell will do what it takes to bring her.  HC want their best assistant coach with them always. 

Offline jdonaccbus

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2024, 04:10:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Kim Caldwell was a strong coach at Glenville State. But that program had been strong for decades. She elevated the program back up.

BUT......she didn't go to the Final Fours until Jenna Burdette came on board during her final two years at Glenville. That is not a knock on Caldwell either. Saban was pretty good at Michigan State. But when he was hired at some of the big dogs of the SEC and hired some better assistant coaches, he was even better. Caldwell was always a master motivator. No question on that.

But her success was the greatest when Burdette came on board with her. No doubt Caldwell will want her to follow her.

If Burdette doesn't want the head job here, I have heard (like Swann) that the D2 coach at Ashland is a strong candidate.....a person with a national championship pedigree.

The following users thanked this post: Collis P

Offline HerdFan2026

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2024, 04:19:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Y'all really think an ASST for TN WBB makes more than our HC?  Not implying you're crazy, but that would really surprise me!
    UT?s highest paid assistant last year made 200k, Kim made 275k here. Kim is getting paid 800k, while UT?s previous coach got paid 1.1 million, and it wouldn?t surprise me at all if that was so she could have a bigger money pool for assistants. So, I don?t think it?s unlikely at all that they could offer her a comparable financial package to what we give our head coach.

Offline ThunderingHerdFan

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2024, 04:21:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Kim Caldwell was a strong coach at Glenville State. But that program had been strong for decades. She elevated the program back up.

BUT......she didn't go to the Final Fours until Jenna Burdette came on board during her final two years at Glenville. That is not a knock on Caldwell either. Saban was pretty good at Michigan State. But when he was hired at some of the big dogs of the SEC and hired some better assistant coaches, he was even better. Caldwell was always a master motivator. No question on that.

But her success was the greatest when Burdette came on board with her. No doubt Caldwell will want her to follow her.

If Burdette doesn't want the head job here, I have heard (like Swann) that the D2 coach at Ashland is a strong candidate.....a person with a national championship pedigree.

Your timeline is off. Burdette was an assistant at Marshall when Glenville won the national championship. Burdette came to Marshall under Kemper in 2021. 

Caldwell and Burdette were together for the 18-19 and 19-20 seasons. Burdette went to Northern Kentucky as director of ops in 20-21 before coming to Marshall. Shes been an assistant here for three years.

And I'm all for hiring her as our head coach.

The following users thanked this post: Collis P, chris88

Online MUfan08

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2024, 04:25:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I mean Kim's base salary now is $750,000. That is more than way Dan and Cline were making combined for our men's group.

Could easily see the salary for the second on the bench making over $230,000 there.

We just need to take the buyout (reported $600,000) and continue to build the program up.

Online elginherd

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2024, 04:31:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • UT?s highest paid assistant last year made 200k, Kim made 275k here. Kim is getting paid 800k, while UT?s previous coach got paid 1.1 million, and it wouldn?t surprise me at all if that was so she could have a bigger money pool for assistants. So, I don?t think it?s unlikely at all that they could offer her a comparable financial package to what we give our head coach.

The $1.1 million was the total compensation.

Coach Kim will make approximately the same amount in total compensation.

I have little doubt that UT could pay Jenna as much or more than she'd make at Marshall as HC.

Offline RNHERD

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2024, 04:40:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would immediately go after the ULM head coach great first year plus a great history

The following users thanked this post: Collis P

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2024, 04:46:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would guess Kim had it set up to take her assistant with her. Her style requires someone else to help her get it implemented. And I'll bet she got her assistant at least 300k.

Offline HerdFan2026

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2024, 04:53:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The $1.1 million was the total compensation.

Coach Kim will make approximately the same amount in total compensation.

I have little doubt that UT could pay Jenna as much or more than she'd make at Marshall as HC.
    After Kellie Harper?s contract extension last year, 1.1 was her base
    But, I was incorrect about what Kim?s base was - it?s actually 750k

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/womens-basketball/2023/06/16/lady-vols-coach-kellie-harper-earns-100k-raise-in-contract-extension/70331168007/

https://tennessee.rivals.com/news/in-depth-look-at-kim-caldwell-s-contract-as-the-lady-vols-head-coach

Online MUfan08

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2024, 04:57:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would guess Kim had it set up to take her assistant with her. Her style requires someone else to help her get it implemented. And I'll bet she got her assistant at least 300k.

And probably her husband an analyst there, heck probably even for the football team.

She's a winner, has a winners mentality and is about the grind (doesn't whine).
    We took a chance, she won, and a top (maybe the top) women's basketball program saw what we saw in her. They are paying the buyout penalty and the AD is getting injected over half a million.

Take that, and continue to build into the women's program.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2024, 04:57:35 PM »

Online herd2win

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2024, 04:58:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Women's basketball is back to 200 people a game.  We were lucky to have a special person as our coach who took accountability.

The following users thanked this post: whf

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2024, 05:03:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: herddds, chris88, herdorbust2

Online MUfan08

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2024, 05:34:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, herddds, Buffalo Bop, MUonium, herdorbust2

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2024, 05:34:55 PM »