Author Topic: Caldwell to Tennessee  (Read 7628 times)

Offline DC01HERD

Re: Caldwell to Tennessee
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2024, 09:55:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Also, have we ever had a head coach in any mainstream sport who was poached for a P5 head job?  Cant think of 1 but it speaks to Caldwell's ability and potential.

Jim Donnan went to Georgia.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2024, 09:55:58 PM »

Offline pricherd

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2024, 10:03:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There has been a major uptick in mentions of Caldwell's name on the Lady Vol message boards, so maybe there is some substance to these rumors. 

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2024, 10:03:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Can mod change title of the thread to properly indicate this is just a RUMOR.

I was really sad when I saw the title of the thread as it indicates it?s official.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: chris88, miltonherdfan, luckytoes99

Offline MUther

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2024, 10:09:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So many people said she would never go this soon.  Money wasn't an issue for her.  She had her dream job.  Crazy to think she would up and leave after one year.  This was in the thread a month ago that mentioned her maybe being considered for UK.  I caught a lot of hell for suggesting why she might take that UK job if it were real.  Hope she is staying, but if not, you guys can suck it.  :)

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #29 on: April 04, 2024, 10:21:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • She would be a home run for Tennessee. She could lead that team successfully for decades and become iconic. She is smart and poised. If the Vols are willing to take a little gamble, I can't imagine a better choice.

Offline chris88

« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2024, 10:29:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Good Lord.

As Herdfan129 states, if you are going to start a post with that title at least have the courtesy of giving some sort of source (ie someone close to Tenn BB, close to KC etc). If not you get what you see here...wild speculation.  For all we know it could be a voice in Chuck Landon's head.  The fatalistic nature of a portion of our fanbase will always jump to the worst conclusion or believe anything that is negative when they read a headline like this.

I have no idea what might happen, but it wouldn't make sense to go to a place where anything short of the elite eight is considered a failure when you have one season under your belt in D1. Not saying it couldn't happen, just like UK, but it's not a logical decision at this point. Although when someone is willing to throw the kind of money around that some schools can, it certainly can change the dynamic.

Unless a better source is produced or Jake Griffin or Big Jim say it's done I wouldn't put much stock in the headline.

I remember right after MU won Natl soccer championship it was rumored in Hton Chris Grassie was gone
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: svherd, Flat Tire 2, luckytoes99, herdfan129

Offline chris88

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2024, 10:31:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So many people said she would never go this soon.  Money wasn't an issue for her.  She had her dream job.  Crazy to think she would up and leave after one year.  This was in the thread a month ago that mentioned her maybe being considered for UK.  I caught a lot of hell for suggesting why she might take that UK job if it were real.  Hope she is staying, but if not, you guys can suck it.  :)

Wow. I didn't realize that having people disagree with you about the value of the opportunity based on some stated logic was "catching hell". Talk about thin skin.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

Offline Gaylen

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2024, 10:45:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Altman went to Kansas St. Parrish to Kansas St.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So you're saying she shouldn't go to Kansas State?

Offline hookem herd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • All American
    • Member Since 01/2010
    « Reply #33 on: April 04, 2024, 10:50:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Could this possibly be a way to force the administration to antie up for more financial support? I definitely don?t have any insider information but if we want to be a national brand we are going to have to throw more financial support towards the program.

Greg Adkins

Online svherd

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2024, 11:13:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • She would be stepping up in talent big time. Can she recruit that much talent on one team to compete at that level. Especially with SC and LSU in the league. You are talking 8-10 4-5 star kids.
    Nit sure even Kim can do that.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Online herdloyal

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2024, 11:16:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Instead of listening to rumors and propagandist why don?t we elevate Marshall to P5 availability? Way I see its the ACC is going to loose Clemson, FSU, sooner than later. We need an action plan now so we all can get behind that is inspiring. How much $ needed to make our case $1,5,10 Billion Foundation. Student enrollment up by another 10-20K with Facilities expansion for housing, classrooms, Sports facility?s for New BB Arena to 15-20K seating, football stadium expansion to 60K. Just doing some imagineering here for the future. Haven?t we had enough of the doom and gloom crowd? Kim will go when the time is right. So will all our Coaches in time but what remains is plain and simple?Marshall and Huntington, WV best little All-American city USA. Our Hometown on the banks of the Ohio! MLK had a dream our forefather had a vision and fought and died for that vision. Made a plan called the Declaration of Independence which a vast majority of this country sucks at it and it?s our inheritance and legacy to uphold.

Offline Herdiowa

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2024, 11:26:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think it would be tough on her if she gets it.  I have a feeling she would be on a short leash.  Fans not enthusiastic, along with the schools expectations could be tough.  She would be better off waiting in my opinion.

The following users thanked this post: svherd

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2024, 11:26:39 PM »

Online gochneaur645

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2024, 11:39:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Good Lord.

As Herdfan129 states, if you are going to start a post with that title at least have the courtesy of giving some sort of source (ie someone close to Tenn BB, close to KC etc). If not you get what you see here...wild speculation.  For all we know it could be a voice in Chuck Landon's head.  The fatalistic nature of a portion of our fanbase will always jump to the worst conclusion or believe anything that is negative when they read a headline like this.

I have no idea what might happen, but it wouldn't make sense to go to a place where anything short of the elite eight is considered a failure when you have one season under your belt in D1. Not saying it couldn't happen, just like UK, but it's not a logical decision at this point. Although when someone is willing to throw the kind of money around that some schools can, it certainly can change the dynamic.

Unless a better source is produced or Jake Griffin or Big Jim say it's done I wouldn't put much stock in the headline.

I remember right after MU won Natl soccer championship it was rumored in Hton Chris Grassie was gone

I probably could've put unconfirmed somewhere in the title.

But I stand by the post. Source is legit and no I'm not revealing it.

And if it's wrong, you're all welcome because it means my post derailed the hire.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, chris88, herdfan129

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2024, 12:15:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  

Offline MUther

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2024, 06:31:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Wow. I didn't realize that having people disagree with you about the value of the opportunity based on some stated logic was "catching hell". Talk about thin skin.
    Ya see the smiley face?  Skin is fine.  I was jesting and that was the indication.  Sounds like you're the one with your panties in a wad in both those posts.

Offline ru4mu2

« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2024, 06:59:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The Lady Vols haven't been a TOP level program since Pat Summit retired.
    They haven't finished above 3rd in the SEC since 2014.
    If they want to be back on the top again, they need to pursue a top level "proven" coach.
    Open the checkbook and go after Dawn Staley! 
    I love Kim's style of play and I love watching it.  I'm not convinced it would work vs teams that can match sub for sub.
    If or when she does leave, I will be a fan of whichever team lands her.  JMO.  GO HERD!

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, svherd, chris88

Offline Big City

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2024, 07:12:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Fortier is one of the most successful mid-major coaches out there. She has gone 265-63 at Gonzaga, and is coming off her best season with the Zags.

Gonzaga went 32-4 this season, earning a No. 4 seed to host the opening rounds of the NCAA Tournament. The Zags made a run to the Sweet 16 where they fell to No. 1 seed Texas. Fortier has only missed the NCAA Tournament once in her 10 seasons in Spokane.

Fortier, 42, has had the Zags in the national rankings consistently over the last six seasons, including their first regular-season top 10 ranking in the 2019-20 season. Fortier also led Gonzaga to the highest-ranked victory in program history this season when it beat No. 3 Stanford in December.

Fortier would be making a jump from the West Coast Conference, but she's a winner and she's worth considering. Fortier made $632,983 this season at Gonzaga.   

https://sports.yahoo.com/tennessee-lady-vols-basketball-coaching-090527109.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall&guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuYmluZy5jb20v&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAMCv3wHVY85WeJozR2HuyY6TkQUEwNhPXpeMiAkO4gCng1kwDLkDhqZSUPsWqDzzEQ_vdhn0qC7K95HQP9mq4WugE4TshzpDmj1g9gaoQ2GfMagV2aqJgmgH993_JexAUypfeulzNYcOaasBZ5Zf_7THh1ECafm4VhqW815G1HOU
    IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

Offline Thundering In MD

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2024, 07:42:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Caldwell is not mentioned in today's article in the Knox News:  https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/womens-basketball/2024/04/05/tennessee-lady-vols-basketball-coaching-candidates-kellie-harper-brenda-frese-lisa-fortier/73177685007/

I put more faith in that than what people are saying on a message board.
    Twitter:  @ThunderingInMD

The following users thanked this post: horsrman, miltonherdfan

Online CoachMaclid

« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2024, 08:03:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Marshall has stepped up and did what was necessary to ensure Grassie's name doesn't get mentioned at every new opportunity in college soccer.  Perhaps its still a year or two too early to pull some of the same strings for Caldwell, but I think if we want to be a serious contender at this level in this sport, we need to answer the bell for WBB and make a similar commitment and investment.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, chris88

Offline Ovaltine Jenkins

« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2024, 08:56:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Caldwell is not mentioned in today's article in the Knox News:  https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/womens-basketball/2024/04/05/tennessee-lady-vols-basketball-coaching-candidates-kellie-harper-brenda-frese-lisa-fortier/73177685007/

I put more faith in that than what people are saying on a message board.

Agreed. No local news source that I've seen. UT is one of the Top 5 WBB programs in the nation. Coach K and the team had a great season and the future is bright, but the tournament loss would indicate that she has more work to do to obtain a top P5 job. JMO

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan

Offline MUonium

« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2024, 08:59:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • i'd hate to lose her this soon.  i'm being selfish, but i've always held the dream that both the men and women would go on a stretch of kicking ass at the same time. 

what will be really telling is if she puts together another winning formula, maybe one not quite like the last one because of different players, but fun and effective nonetheless

The following users thanked this post: chris88

Online svherd

« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2024, 09:10:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Marshall - where those connected love to spread rumors and convince the little people how important and in the know they are. NOT directed at anyone here!!!!

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: ru4mu2, AEOS, horsrman, MUonium

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2024, 09:10:27 AM »

Offline MUonium

« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2024, 09:21:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • both my kids got thier UD's at Tennessee.  their strengths really were softball and women's BB and other olympic SP but strong in every sport, even if the championships didn't pile up in major men's sports.  but yeah, it's the SEC dummy 😎

Online marshallmark

« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2024, 09:41:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Also, have we ever had a head coach in any mainstream sport who was poached for a P5 head job?  Cant think of 1 but it speaks to Caldwell's ability and potential.

Carl Tacy - Wake Forest
    Billy Donovan - Florida
    Dana Altman - KState
    Stan Parrish - KState
    Jim Donnan - Georgia
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: herd1990

Offline chris88

« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2024, 09:45:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I checked the HN public board and they have a thread from mid afternoon yesterday discussing the rumor that KC was interviewing with Tenn. A couple people said they heard same thing, so maybe there is fire there. I never asked original poster to reveal the source but maybe give an indication of the source as vague as that might be.

I don't think it's a great situation for her but maybe I'm just naive. If KC leaves there is nothing we can do about it and hope Spears has others in mind. It's not that I don't think KC will be successful there, it's more that the expectations there are so high that it would be difficult for anyone.  I look at that job sort of like the Nebraska FB job when they fired Solich. Tom Osborne was convinced the glory days could return with the right coach but he failed to realized the game had changed...especially when they reduced scholly limits from 100+ to 85 and many other programs in recruiting hotbeds were gaining steam. When Pat Summit was in peak there were few, if any, programs that could match resource dominance she built. Then Uconn came along and the game has exploded over last few years. They just fired a coach who went 25, 25, 20 wins the last 3 years with 3 NCAA tourneys and two sweet 16's. Telling any coach, in effect, that sweet 16's aren't good enough puts an awful lot of pressure on a coach and a staff when there are some real top notch coaches/programs across the country in much better locations for recruiting, quality of life etc. BTW, I read an article yesterday that suggests that units will be paid to women's programs/conferences starting as early as next year. They are hoping to work out the details of how much each unit will be worth etc. The men's tourney units are up to almost 2M a game so JMU made SBC at least 3.8M with their run. Not sure how the SBC distributes the units. NCAA distributes units over a 5-6 year period for each tourney but may work differently for women.

Even though the attendance surge happened starting about Feb 1, MU still finished top 90 in average attendance out of 360 teams. If we average what we averaged since Feb we would be in top 50-60 nationally so MU is a good job from that perspective. As far as others adjusting or catching up to system I don't know. Seems the longer she stayed around D2 the more separation she got between Glenville and her opponents.....winning natl title and returning to Final Four her last two years.  As others have said, I hope she stays and MU becomes the next Gonzaga of women's BB. If she leaves I will root for her to do well because I think she is a great coach and a great person.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan93, svherd

HerdFans.com

« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2024, 09:45:25 AM »