Author Topic: Caldwell to Tennessee  (Read 7618 times)

Offline Flat Tire 2

Re: Caldwell to Tennessee
« Reply #125 on: April 07, 2024, 06:02:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Interesting reaction/comments from Smith, to say the least. I wish Kim good luck, but I don't cheer for UT.

I don't blame her for leaving, a $3.75 million contract, that is nothing to sneeze at. She is given a chance that might not come later in career so it would be the smart thing to take the offer. Will she be another Billy Donovan, I don't know and time will tell. UT is certainly lights years away from Glenville.

I will admit, I know nothing about women's basketball coach's buyouts. The $600,000 payout seems to be a good amount and I hope we use it to develop the program. The next hire is critical (as it always is in any sport). The fans have proven that they will support a winning and exciting program. WBB is a program we can grow and to help to increase the overall athletic budget.
    « Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 06:31:00 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08, mr_ash_1995, chris88, miltonherdfan

HerdFans.com

« Reply #125 on: April 07, 2024, 06:02:07 PM »

Offline herd2win

« Reply #126 on: April 07, 2024, 06:05:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I wish her the best.  She is what we want to see in every coach.  Took accountability, praise her players and never blamed them.  My bet is she will be successful.   She just got a top 5 job.  UT will love her.

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08, chris88

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #127 on: April 07, 2024, 06:49:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hopefully this motivates rest of our HC to bring in better talent

The following users thanked this post: chris88

Online herdman22

« Reply #128 on: April 07, 2024, 10:47:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I wish her the best.  She is what we want to see in every coach.  Took accountability, praise her players and never blamed them.  My bet is she will be successful.   She just got a top 5 job.  UT will love her.
    As long as they at least get to the Elite 8, with a championship or three and a few final fours every year they will live her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: elginherd

Offline Lord Haw-Haw

« Reply #129 on: April 07, 2024, 11:36:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I just hope Caldwell's successor is not offered a 7 year contract like she was. That was ludicrous for a mid-major like Marshall. What was our leadership thinking? It's bad enough that they offered a 75 year old coach a 3 year extension. Looks like that they won't be penalized for that.

Offline gochneaur645

« Reply #130 on: April 08, 2024, 12:15:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I just hope Caldwell's successor is not offered a 7 year contract like she was. That was ludicrous for a mid-major like Marshall. What was our leadership thinking? It's bad enough that they offered a 75 year old coach a 3 year extension. Looks like that they won't be penalized for that.

I'm assuming the 7 year contract got us a bigger buyout, and Dan's "extension" apparently wasn't a real extension because it didn't cost us anything to fire him.

The following users thanked this post: horsrman, Flat Tire 2, luckytoes99, elginherd

Offline Thundering In MD

« Reply #131 on: April 08, 2024, 06:42:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Kudos to those who knew.  I thought it was an unsubstantiated rumor.
    Twitter:  @ThunderingInMD

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, miltonherdfan, puma

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #132 on: April 08, 2024, 08:18:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I waited until this morning to chime in on this. Felt a good night's sleep would help me rationalize things. What it took to win over Marshall fans may not work at Tennessee. They expect championships there. I imagine she will be expected to win the conference and the national championship on a consistent basis. South Carolina has passed them in the conference and I'm sure that hasn't set well with the UT fanbase. There is going to be a lot of pressure on her to win out of the gate. Her smile and charm will wear very thin if she doesn't produce. Just my.02.

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline FilmJunky

« Reply #133 on: April 08, 2024, 08:27:00 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'll say this on Kim Caldwell. GOOD FOR HER!!! For all the people being negative and hating on whatever platform get real. Let me break it down for you like this.

At 35 years old you're offered triple you salary in the company you work for to be a top person in the company. Do you say no? Only if you're and idiot.

The difference is, in college sports promotions come by bigger schools offering you a job. Kim couldn't move up any more at Marshall. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to lead a school with rich basketball prestige and tradition. Arguably a top 3-5 job in women's hoops with the resources she will have available.

Marshall fans need to realize if a coach is at Marshall for more than 5 years in basketball or football something is wrong. Or if they are not in consideration for bigger jobs after 3-4 years. You know why? It means they aren't good. It's that simple. It's the landscape of mid major / G5 college sports. I say basketball and football because soccer, baseball, and softball are drastically different IMO. Marshall is a stepping stone job in basketball and football and always will be.

So for all you haters out there on twitter, facebook, etc.... Get real. If you want mediocrity like Doc Holliday and Dan Dantoni the last 5 years, you need to look yourself in the mirror.

Offline FilmJunky

« Reply #134 on: April 08, 2024, 08:33:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

You're gonna have to explain yourself on this one lol Marshall is not out any money at all in this situation. Tennessee is writing us a fat check for 600K. People don't realize this is how many smaller schools fund their athletic department at times.

Offline elginherd

« Reply #135 on: April 08, 2024, 08:38:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    So to get a good coach you need to assure him/her some type of favorable terms, either in annual pay or length of contract
    In hindsight, Spears probably regrets the buyout terms. Another few hundred thousand could've been squeezed out of Tennessee.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Offline FilmJunky

« Reply #136 on: April 08, 2024, 08:46:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agree. Never expected this to happen. Especially considering Tennessee could have hired essentially anyone they wanted. I'm really surprised they hired Kim coming off a 50 point drubbing at VA Tech. Good luck to her. Can't blame her for taking the money. She must feel like she hit the lottery....lol

Sent from my SM-A546U using Tapatalk

It's more than money. It's prestige, it's honor. It's coaching at the program Pat Summitt built. It's seeing EIGHT national title banners hanging in Thompson Boling. Money helps, but there's only a handful of women's basketball coaches that would say no to this.

Tennessee did strike out on candidate 1 & 2. Was Kim their first choice? I don't think so, but their AD had her as a target from day 1, and he has made some incredible hires at other schools he's been at. It would be hard for Vol fans to question this hire given Daniel White's track record of hiring.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #136 on: April 08, 2024, 08:46:47 AM »

Offline saherdfan

« Reply #137 on: April 10, 2024, 09:47:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

DD won a first round game in the NCAA.  So much for Kim "Dream Job" !  Lol

Online herdfifteen

« Reply #138 on: April 11, 2024, 09:12:54 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    I was upset Kim left Marshall and I have tried to dislike her, but I can't. She he is a marvelous person and her tribute to Marshall in her introductory speech was one I will never forget. I feel she was a once in a lifetime hire, unfortunately other people recognized those qualities.

The following users thanked this post: ru4mu2, Collis P, herdorbust2

Online MUonium

« Reply #139 on: April 11, 2024, 09:49:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • DD won a first round game in the NCAA.  So much for Kim "Dream Job" !  Lol

damn near all of em say it.  at least she won immediately, won big and with big style.  DD matched one year out of ten.

question is, how can Spears duplicate what he saw and what people told him about Caldwell when he was looking for a new HC?  not that it wasn't hard to see but there are factors that make it difficult to duplicate.  for instance, Pickens might have children and a husband who, under no circumstances, want to disrupt this current moment in their lives.

Offline s1uggo

« Reply #140 on: April 11, 2024, 03:17:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Also, have we ever had a head coach in any mainstream sport who was poached for a P5 head job?  Cant think of 1 but it speaks to Caldwell's ability and potential.
    Donnan, Donovan,  Tracy , Chaump (ok Navy might not be power 5 but close enough)

HerdFans.com

« Reply #140 on: April 11, 2024, 03:17:51 PM »