Author Topic: Corny get a 3 year deal  (Read 2395 times)

Online Always THE HERD

Re: Corny get a 3 year deal
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2024, 01:02:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How so?  For someone who has been alienated they sure kept their involvement in the mix.
    Obviously, you didn't follow MU sports in the 80's, 90's & thru 2010.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2024, 01:02:58 PM »

Online ru4mu2

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2024, 01:43:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Obviously, you didn't follow MU sports in the 80's, 90's & thru 2010.
    You should fill us in.  I'm sure I'm not the only one that's confused by the vagueness of the past two posts.

Offline herdfan93

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2024, 02:15:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He was interested, Marshall athletic director wasn't is what I heard.

He was interested and supposedly the AD was too.  The problem was the AD told Mike he'd call him at a certain time to let him know the decision.  Mike's wife was pregnant at the time and their baby was due around that time.  As it turned out on the day the AD was supposed to call, Mike's wife went into labor.  Rather than go to the hospital to be with his wife, Mike stayed home to take the call that never came. So he not only didn't get the call but he also missed being with Lauren when their son was born.  That set the school's relationship with Mike in the dumps.  It took a few years for him to come back around and then only because DShoe set up a meeting for Mike with the Pres of the BG at that time.  The agenda was to get Mike and Lauren back in the fold by asking Mike to speak at that years BG Dinner.  After talking to Lauren about it, he accepted and the rest is history.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, DC01HERD, parshall2marshall, Always THE HERD, ru4mu2, Buffalo Bop, wlf, herdfan129

Online Always THE HERD

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2024, 02:18:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• He was interested and supposedly the AD was too.  The problem was the AD told Mike he'd call him at a certain time to let him know the decision.  Mike's wife was pregnant at the time and their baby was due around that time.  As it turned out on the day the AD was supposed to call, Mike's wife went into labor.  Rather than go to the hospital to be with his wife, Mike stayed home to take the call that never came. So he not only didn't get the call but he also missed being with Lauren when their son was born.  That set the school's relationship with Mike in the dumps.  It took a few years for him to come back around and then only because DShoe set up a meeting for Mike with the Pres of the BG at that time.  The agenda was to get Mike and Lauren back in the fold by asking Mike to speak at that years BG Dinner.  After talking to Lauren about it, he accepted and the rest is history.
    Thank you for this!!!!

Offline herdfan93

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2024, 02:22:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Thank you for this!!!!

You're quite welcome.

Online herdfifteen

« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2024, 02:59:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Obviously, you didn't follow MU sports in the 80's, 90's & thru 2010.
    I can assure you I have followed MU sports through the 60's until the present time.Secondly, like you, I know the D'Antoni's well.

The following users thanked this post: Always THE HERD

Offline DC01HERD

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2024, 06:05:11 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• He was interested and supposedly the AD was too.  The problem was the AD told Mike he'd call him at a certain time to let him know the decision.  Mike's wife was pregnant at the time and their baby was due around that time.  As it turned out on the day the AD was supposed to call, Mike's wife went into labor.  Rather than go to the hospital to be with his wife, Mike stayed home to take the call that never came. So he not only didn't get the call but he also missed being with Lauren when their son was born.  That set the school's relationship with Mike in the dumps.  It took a few years for him to come back around and then only because DShoe set up a meeting for Mike with the Pres of the BG at that time.  The agenda was to get Mike and Lauren back in the fold by asking Mike to speak at that years BG Dinner.  After talking to Lauren about it, he accepted and the rest is history.

Was this the early 90's? What was the time frame when this happened? 

Online Always THE HERD

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2024, 08:40:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I can assure you I have followed MU sports through the 60's until the present time.Secondly, like you, I know the D'Antoni's well.
    My comment was to mean, I thought many knew why they were alienated from MU.

The following users thanked this post: herdfifteen

Online svherd

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2024, 09:15:43 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    He was interested, Marshall athletic director wasn't is what I heard.
    [/quote

Who was the AD at the time?

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Online ru4mu2

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2024, 09:28:42 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    He was interested, Marshall athletic director wasn't is what I heard.
    [/quote

Who was the AD at the time?
    Per google, If the story is accurate, the son was born in 1993, which would have been Moon.  Mike was coaching Olimpia Milano at the time.  I don't recall this story.  It's interesting for sure.  I only knew of the one with Hamrick. 

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2024, 09:47:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I seem to remember that Moon was not very interested in hiring Mike. I brought it up to Dshoe at the time or shortly after and he told me that Mike had prepared a detail presentation on how he would run the program, including bringing in foreign players, to be reviewed by MU. Dshoe said it was a very detailed plan, but Moon wasn't interested in hiring Mike since he had no college experience and his coaching background was as a European pro coach. I know Dshoe was not happy about the situation since he and Mike were very close since their college days at Marshall. It would be reasonable to think Mike was unhappy with being slighted by the process?

That is my recollection, but a lot of time has passed and memory might not be that great. It doesn't really matter at this point, water over the dam.
    « Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 10:04:25 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, herdfan93, svherd, Always THE HERD, ru4mu2, wlf

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2024, 10:10:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I seem to remember that Moon was not very interested in hiring Mike. I brought it up to Dshoe at the time or shortly after and he told me that Mike had prepared a detail presentation on how he would run the program, including bringing in foreign players, to be reviewed by MU. Dshoe said it was a very detailed plan, but Moon wasn't interested in hiring Mike since he had no college experience and his coaching background was as a European pro coach. I know Dshoe was not happy about the situation since he and Mike were very close since their college days at Marshall. It would be reasonable to think Mike was unhappy with being slighted by the process?

That is my recollection, but a lot of time has passed and memory might not be that great. It doesn't really matter at this point, water over the dam.

I also remember dshoe saying these things.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, Always THE HERD

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2024, 10:10:56 AM »

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #37 on: April 05, 2024, 10:31:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Per google, If the story is accurate, the son was born in 1993, which would have been Moon.  Mike was coaching Olimpia Milano at the time.  I don't recall this story.  It's interesting for sure.  I only knew of the one with Hamrick.

Kayo also passed on Mike D, and Huggins as well

To hire.........Ron Jirsa

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, Always THE HERD, wlf

Offline 2xBison

Corny get a 3 year deal
    « Reply #38 on: April 05, 2024, 11:38:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Kayo also passed on Mike D, and Huggins as well

I think he passed on Huggins while Jirsa was here.  I recall Kayo addressing rumors in paper "we have a coach".  I also recall him giving reasons not to reach out to MD and that was probably when he hired Ron "the eagle has landed" Jirsa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    « Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 01:36:01 PM by 2xBison »
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08, wlf

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2024, 11:44:49 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

You might be correct and I doubt if Kayo ever contacted Mike about the Marshall job.

By that time Kayo hired Jirsa in 2003, Mike was already the head coach for the Phoenix Suns. I doubt Mike had any interest in applying for the Marshall job at that time. That ship had sailed by that time.
    « Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 11:50:59 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: wlf

Online Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    « Reply #40 on: April 05, 2024, 12:04:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You might be correct and I doubt if Kayo ever contacted Mike about the Marshall job.

By that time Kayo hired Jirsa in 2003, Mike was already the head coach for the Phoenix Suns. I doubt Mike had any interest in applying for the Marshall job at that time. That ship had sailed by that time.

Mike D wanted the job when Kayo was AD

The following users thanked this post: Always THE HERD

Online Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    « Reply #41 on: April 05, 2024, 12:06:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think he passed on Huggins while Jirsa was here.  I recall Kay's addressing rumors in paper "we have a coach".  I also recall him giving reasons not to reach out to MD and that was probably when he hired Ron "the eagle has landed" Jirsa

You might be right about timeline, it's getting fuzzy lol

"The Eagle" 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Herd fans who was "The Eagle"?

Online herdfifteen

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2024, 12:07:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My comment was to mean, I thought many knew why they were alienated from MU.
    We are good Always, Wyoming County to the core!

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2024, 12:40:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Not only did he pass on Huggins, from what I understand, Oj Mayo, Patrick Patterson, and Bill Walker were all going to come to Marshall together to play for him.

No idea if it was true but those were the rumors at the time. If true, we really missed out on more than we can imagine.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

Online Always THE HERD

« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2024, 12:51:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We are good Always, Wyoming County to the core!
    What part of Wyoming county are you from and what, may I ask is your last name? I might know you or your family as I am originally from Mullens.

Online MUfan08

« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2024, 12:56:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think he passed on Huggins while Jirsa was here.  I recall Kay's addressing rumors in paper "we have a coach".  I also recall him giving reasons not to reach out to MD and that was probably when he hired Ron "the eagle has landed" Jirsa

Darryl Merthie could never live that down.

Yeah Kayo said we had a coach and were not looking for one in one of the sports columns at that time.

Kayo never did a search, all he did was call Tubby Smith and went with whatever he said.

The following users thanked this post: wlf

Online MUfan08

« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2024, 12:59:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You might be right about timeline, it's getting fuzzy lol

"The Eagle" 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Herd fans who was "The Eagle"?

Darryl Merthie

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2024, 12:59:28 PM »

Online Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    « Reply #47 on: April 05, 2024, 01:31:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Darryl Merthie

We have a winner!

😂😂😂

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2024, 01:38:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We have a winner!

That's one of the only things I recall about Jirsa.
    1) upsetting wvu
    2) "the eagle has landed" and
    3) he was going to recruit a big as big as the he door or something to that effect

QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2024, 01:43:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • As bad as Jirsa was, I think he defeated WVU twice.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, mr_ash_1995, wlf, herdorbust2

HerdFans.com

« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2024, 01:43:50 PM »